North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - South Tyne Lad - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 8:38 pm)Andreos1 The Glasgow stock are 1970's Metro Cammel build too

The bus was a brand new TWPTE Atlantean from memory.

Glasgow's Stock are mechanically similar to London Underground's 1973 Stock on the Piccadilly Line, Though have their different features.

It indeed was, Which was written off.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - BusLoverMum - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 8:39 pm)S813 FVK Photos from mentioned incident:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25854025@N03/6196273226
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25854025@N03/6195760309
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25854025@N03/6195760195
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25854025@N03/6196272646

I don't think the bus won that particular fight.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 17 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 7:07 pm)Dan It's embarrassing. Our region's light rail system seems years behind other systems in different regions.
I can see why you say that but at the end of the day, The system is getting modernised and hopefully the funding to replace the current stock will be subject to approval, it all comes in cycles surely, in the 80's the region could boast with an ever expanding light rail transport system but now obviously its need investing, especially the trains. Patience is unfortunately required and one must remember, new does not always mean better. 

Of course one could argue, perhaps the current fleet should of been replaced before any extension towards Sunderland? However the Sunderland extension took place and this in turn is an factor in terms of current fleet reliability in respect more trains are being used which are travelling more mileage than they would of done without the extension. 

New trains was never going to come with the Sunderland extension, the whole project cost quite a lot of money in the first place and there was no chance the government would of poured more money into it when at the time of the extension, the current fleet would of been just around 20 years old.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 18 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 10:58 pm)Bus_User I can see why you say that but at the end of the day, The system is getting modernised and hopefully the funding to replace the current stock will be subject to approval, it all comes in cycles surely, in the 80's the region could boast with an ever expanding light rail transport system but now obviously its need investing, especially the trains. Patience is unfortunately required and one must remember, new does not always mean better. 

Of course one could argue, perhaps the current fleet should of been replaced before any extension towards Sunderland? However the Sunderland extension took place and this in turn is an factor in terms of current fleet reliability in respect more trains are being used which are travelling more mileage than they would of done without the extension. 

New trains was never going to come with the Sunderland extension, the whole project cost quite a lot of money in the first place and there was no chance the government would of poured more money into it when at the time of the extension, the current fleet would of been just around 20 years old.

Another argument is... they should of been replaced instead of getting them refurbished.....

-------------

Tyne & Wear Metro

Trains running to all destinations but may be busier than normal as some peak services Pelaw-Monkseaton/Regent Centre are cancelled

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 18 May 2016

(17 May 2016, 10:58 pm)Bus_User I can see why you say that but at the end of the day, The system is getting modernised and hopefully the funding to replace the current stock will be subject to approval, it all comes in cycles surely, in the 80's the region could boast with an ever expanding light rail transport system but now obviously its need investing, especially the trains. Patience is unfortunately required and one must remember, new does not always mean better. 

I have been racking my brains, looking online and trying to remember the whole ins and outs of the modernisation scheme. 

Wasn't the funding bid for new stock turned down in the late 2000's? Or only a certain amount given to Nexus, which gave them the choice of new stock OR the station, track, signalling etc renewals.
I seem to recall funding being allocated for stock refurb and the modernisation scheme, with top ups being made if certain conditions were met - such as franchising the system out.
When it was franchised to DB, an additional pot of money was released by the government.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 19 May 2016

(18 May 2016, 8:30 am)Andreos1 I have been racking my brains, looking online and trying to remember the whole ins and outs of the modernisation scheme. 

Wasn't the funding bid for new stock turned down in the late 2000's? Or only a certain amount given to Nexus, which gave them the choice of new stock OR the station, track, signalling etc renewals.
I seem to recall funding being allocated for stock refurb and the modernisation scheme, with top ups being made if certain conditions were met - such as franchising the system out.
When it was franchised to DB, an additional pot of money was released by the government.

I don't really know the full ins and outs of the contract but I think the plan was always to refurbish the existing fleet regardless who won the contract. I keep hearing rumours Nexus turned down new trains in favour for refurbishment but I have never seen that anywhere and besides, new trains take a lot of planning to do and I always read the current signalling system will all have to be replaced before new trains even enter the system. There is also the issues with the OHL also, especially on the Sunderland section(seeing as any potential future electrification on the Durham Coast line will have to use the same voltage as the Metro) so whilst the public will think new trains should be right here and right now, bit of common sence would tell you that won't be the case. 

I also ask myself, is the current reliability issues down to the age of the trains themselves or the refurbishment work done to them? Either way, I think some perspective have to be taken into account that for the vast majority of passengers, 9 times out of 10, your journey from A to B will be uneventful and there will be no issues, no doubt social media has increased the awareness of the issues and they should be addressed of course.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - BusLoverMum - 19 May 2016

(19 May 2016, 11:23 am)Bus_User I don't really know the full ins and outs of the contract but I think the plan was always to refurbish the existing fleet regardless who won the contract. I keep hearing rumours Nexus turned down new trains in favour for refurbishment but I have never seen that anywhere and besides, new trains take a lot of planning to do and I always read the current signalling system will all have to be replaced before new trains even enter the system. There is also the issues with the OHL also, especially on the Sunderland section(seeing as any potential future electrification on the Durham Coast line will have to use the same voltage as the Metro) so whilst the public will think new trains should be right here and right now, bit of common sence would tell you that won't be the case. 

I also ask myself, is the current reliability issues down to the age of the trains themselves or the refurbishment work done to them? Either way, I think some perspective have to be taken into account that for the vast majority of passengers, 9 times out of 10, your journey from A to B will be uneventful and there will be no issues, no doubt social media has increased the awareness of the issues and they should be addressed of course.

There were delays not infrequently, when I used the system a lot in the early 90s, but they tended to be down to electrical problems eg cable theft on a hot day when it was easy to do (oh yes!) Problems with the actual trains seemed to be few and far between and delays were more often down to heavy use, eg on match day, so whichever way, the condition of the trains is more of a problem, now.

And being late for work one day a fortnight will get some people into a lot of trouble, so a 9/10 success rate is a bit poor, really!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 19 May 2016

(19 May 2016, 12:06 pm)BusLoverMum There were delays not infrequently, when I used the system a lot in the early 90s, but they tended to be down to electrical problems eg cable theft on a hot day when it was easy to do (oh yes!) Problems with the actual trains seemed to be few and far between and delays were more often down to heavy use, eg on match day,  so whichever way, the condition of the trains is more of a problem, now.

And being late for work one day a fortnight will get some people into a lot of trouble, so a 9/10 success rate is a bit poor, really!

I don't think one could deny train reliability is worse than it used to be but lets not pretend it was always perfect back in the hay day because as with any transport system, it wasn't. 

As for being late for work, I always allowed for extra time for my journey, fortunately I lived in the core part of the system so the few delays I did experience were more minimal than say if I lived on the outsider parts of the system but if you leave it tight then its harder to sympathise I'm afraid. 

Hopefully the government will give approval for new trains and in 10 or so years time, the system will have a brand new fleet of metrocars, i am skeptical of it happening and definately skeptical it will happen before 2025 but we shall see.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Kuyoyo - 20 May 2016

(19 May 2016, 11:23 am)Bus_User There is also the issues with the OHL also, especially on the Sunderland section(seeing as any potential future electrification on the Durham Coast line will have to use the same voltage as the Metro) so whilst the public will think new trains should be right here and right now, bit of common sence would tell you that won't be the case.

Incorrect on the future Electrification of the Durham Coast Line - as Network Rail own the infrastructure between Sunderland South Junction and Pelaw Junction, it will be re-wired to take the Main Line standard 25KV AC. As such, the new Metro stock is being sourced as Dual Voltage stock. It makes more sense to do it that way rather than having dual voltage patagraph EMUs.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 20 May 2016

(20 May 2016, 3:46 am)Kuyoyo Incorrect on the future Electrification of the Durham Coast Line - as Network Rail own the infrastructure between Sunderland South Junction and Pelaw Junction, it will be re-wired to take the Main Line standard 25KV AC. As such, the new Metro stock is being sourced as Dual Voltage stock. It makes more sense to do it that way rather than having dual voltage patagraph EMUs.

Network Rail also lease the section beyond Sunderland South, onwards towards South Hylton.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 23 May 2016

Trains are running to all destinations, but may be busier than normal due to some peak services being cancelled between Pelaw and Monkseaton/Regent Centre, due to a shortage of available trains. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 27 May 2016

Metro information for tonight's England game at the Stadium Of Light:

METRO

Metro trains run regularly, with passengers advised to plan their journey in advance, leave extra time and check on-line for the latest updates at www.nexus.org.uk.

There will be a Metro train every 15 minutes during the day between Newcastle and Sunderland rising to a train every five minutes after 4pm, with the high-frequency service continuing after the event to make sure large crowds can get away from the venue safely.

All passengers going to the match should use St Peter’s station only, which is the nearest station to the stadium, before and after the match.

Read more: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/everything-visitors-to-england-v-australia-game-at-stadium-of-light-need-to-know-1-7920055#ixzz49qV3zNl0

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - NK53 TKT - 02 Jun 2016

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=7143] Can I just say to Citaro that posted this 8 months ago, it is still true

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 03 Jun 2016

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/balaclava-clad-man-life-sized-11422083

Balaclava clad man causes chaos on the metro.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 03 Jun 2016

If anyone is after 4001, it should be the next arrival in to South Hylton.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 03 Jun 2016

(03 Jun 2016, 8:54 am)Andreos1 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/balaclava-clad-man-life-sized-11422083

As much reason as any to abolish the monarchy... Wink

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - BusLoverMum - 03 Jun 2016

(03 Jun 2016, 8:54 am)Andreos1 http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/balaclava-clad-man-life-sized-11422083

Well, there's no doubting he's fairly local! I got that much.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 04 Jun 2016

Tyne and Wear Metro

There are no trains running between Monkseaton and Wallsend in both directions until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 1 operate between Monkseaton and Wallsend. We will update you as soon as we have more information.

---------------------

Also 2 trains between South Gosforth and St James had to be withdrawn from service this morning....

Not a good day so far....

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - dannygee - 04 Jun 2016

(04 Jun 2016, 10:35 am)Michael Tyne and Wear Metro

There are no trains running between Monkseaton and Wallsend in both directions until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 1 operate between Monkseaton and Wallsend. We will update you as soon as we have more information.

---------------------

Also 2 trains between South Gosforth and St James had to be withdrawn from service this morning....

Not a good day so far....

Bus service 1 doesnt serve monkseaton metro

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 04 Jun 2016

Just spotted this on "Sort out the Metro" Facebook page:

For anyone stuck at Monkseaton the number 1 bus is accepting metro tickets. You will need to walk down Marine Avenue to Whitley Bay Playhouse to get it.
Metro communications director at our recent meeting said passengers shouldn't be spoon fed information on replacement buses so Metro won't be giving you any help.

I hope this was misheard... if not, disgrace.. people pay for your service, if you can't provide one, u offer something else.... this is from the new communications director........