North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 31 Jul 2014

Disruptions
There are major delays to trains running between Chichester and St James due to an ambulance attending.
Updated at 13:05, Thursday, 31 July 2014

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 31 Jul 2014

(31 Jul 2014, 11:21 am)NEBCD Malarkey Metro Minutes are amazing at Heworth

The Coast - 8 Mins
Airport - 11 Mins skips 3 Minutes so both are due in at same time

Earlier, whilst a South Hylton train was due, the next train to arrive was in 11 minutes - another South Hylton bound one.

After that, in 13 minutes, it was South Shields one. After that, in 17, it was another South Shields one.

Timetable out the window!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 31 Jul 2014

(31 Jul 2014, 1:13 pm)Dan Earlier, whilst a South Hylton train was due, the next train to arrive was in 11 minutes - another South Hylton bound one.

After that, in 13 minutes, it was South Shields one. After that, in 17, it was another South Shields one.

Timetable out the window!

Exactly the same at Heworth Pretty much.

[attachment=5799]

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 03 Aug 2014

8 September 2014 - Escalator replacement work Heworth and Gateshead
The escalator on platform 1 at Heworth, and one of the escalators at Gateshead (between the concourse and street level) will be taken out of service from 8 September for about ten weeks. This is to allow for brand new escalators to be fitted. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Whats the point?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 03 Aug 2014

(03 Aug 2014, 9:18 pm)Tom Whats the point?

The escalators currently found at Metro stations are more than 30 years old. Nexus are replacing them with escalators that are much smoother and have more efficient technology (i.e. they slow down when nobody is using them to save energy).

I've watched that video before (and found it quite interesting) so I'm not going to watch it again, but I'm sure it mentioned in there (and if not, Nexus mentioned it elsewhere) that a lot of work is done overnight to reduce the time it takes to replace these escalators.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 03 Aug 2014

(03 Aug 2014, 9:22 pm)Dan The escalators currently found at Metro stations are more than 30 years old. Nexus are replacing them with escalators that are much smoother and have more efficient technology (i.e. they slow down when nobody is using them to save energy).

I've watched that video before (and found it quite interesting) so I'm not going to watch it again, but I'm sure it mentioned in there (and if not, Nexus mentioned it elsewhere) that a lot of work is done overnight to reduce the time it takes to replace these escalators.

Ah right - didn't they do the same with some of the lifts? They are all horrible in my experience, regardless of how old they are, all smell of piss! And one on occassion in Park Lane (when I was being lazy) there was a beer bottle on the floor and it stunk of alcohol. Dodgy

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 08 Aug 2014

Can anyone explain why you can't take a Bike on board the Metro, But your allowed to a Fold-able one on board, as I am baffled. Reason why I ask is I thinking of doing the following one Day.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/cycles-and-dogs

Bike from My House to Heworth
Heworth to South Shields (Metro)
South Shields to North Shields(Ferry)
North Shields to Tynemouth(Metro)
C2C Tynemouth to Home

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 09 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Can anyone explain why you can't take a Bike on board the Metro, But your allowed to a Fold-able one on board, as I am baffled. Reason why I ask is I thinking of doing the following one Day.

C2C Tynemouth to Home

Not sure why, but I wouldn't risk it as every time I've been on a metro and somebody has tried to get on with a bike, the driver has told them to get off.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 09 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Can anyone explain why you can't take a Bike on board the Metro, But your allowed to a Fold-able one on board, as I am baffled. Reason why I ask is I thinking of doing the following one Day.

C2C Tynemouth to Home

It's a bit daft really. I can understand at peak time, but if you went early doors or on an evening, I can't see the issue. Can you not do the Lime up to Consett and cycle back as an alternative?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 10:16 am)aureolin It's a bit daft really. I can understand at peak time, but if you went early doors or on an evening, I can't see the issue. Can you not do the Lime up to Consett and cycle back as an alternative?

I could but there is the cost of Bus Fare upto Stanley, with an Extra £2.20 charge per journey, Also my Bike has to be reasonably clean and in good order

http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/lime

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - MurdnunoC - 09 Aug 2014

Try the train instead.

I once rode into town, boarded a train to Stocksfield, and rode back through Ovingham, Wylam, Newburn and Lemington before crossing Scotswood Bridge where I followed the Derwent Walk back home.

I've also biked up the Derwent Walk up to Consett, then down to Durham through Lanchester and Langley Park, caught the train from Durham to Newcastle, then from Newcastle back home.

If you want to stay within Tyne and Wear, why don't you bike into Sunderland and catch the train to either Metrocentre or Blaydon and make your way back from there?

It should be feasible.

Or wash your bike? Tongue

(09 Aug 2014, 6:09 pm)aureolin Or wash your bike? Tongue

My Bike is Clean, Gets a Good Soapy Wash once a Month, Only problem is my Tires are Bald and I can't afford atm to get New Ones, So it would be a Risky Challenge.

(09 Aug 2014, 9:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey My Bike is Clean, Gets a Good Soapy Wash once a Month, Only problem is my Tires are Bald and I can't afford atm to get New Ones, So it would be a Risky Challenge.

I wouldn't be riding that distance on bald tyres... it's a long way to push your bike back if things go wrong.

(09 Aug 2014, 9:42 pm)aureolin I wouldn't be riding that distance on bald tyres... it's a long way to push your bike back if things go wrong.

Indeed it is, I'd wait until I have New Tyres before doing anything like that, Although I have Biking it to Chester Park 3-4 Days a Week for the Past Month and a Half on Bald Tyres, Seem to be Surviving for Now.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - V514DFT - 10 Aug 2014

i dunno if this helps,but theres a place you can store your bike at Whitley Bay metro if thats not too far out of your way,just thinking cus if you get kicked off the metro(which will happen) then it will be a massive pain in the arse for you,but ages ago i heard you have to rent it in advance(not too sure tho)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 10 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 8:02 pm)V514DFT i dunno if this helps,but theres a place you can store your bike at Whitley Bay metro if thats not too far out of your way,just thinking cus if you get kicked off the metro(which will happen) then it will be a massive pain in the arse for you,but ages ago i heard you have to rent it in advance(not too sure tho)

Canny few Miles back to Washington that's for sure.

Re: RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 11 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 9:58 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Canny few Miles back to Washington that's for sure.
Think they have some of those little sheds at Heworth too.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 11 Aug 2014

(11 Aug 2014, 5:17 am)Dan Think they have some of those little sheds at Heworth too.

Think next to the 27 Stand, if you were heading towards Newcastle, I fancy leaving my Bike there all day though, probs get nicked or vandalized in some form.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - citaro5284 - 11 Aug 2014

(11 Aug 2014, 6:22 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Think next to the 27 Stand, if you were heading towards Newcastle, I fancy leaving my Bike there all day though, probs get nicked or vandalized in some form.

Its not Washington you know.....