North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - tyresmoke - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 10:18 am)mb134 How many vehicles will that require? And where will they get them from? 

Think it's around 12-13. Not sure what we'll be using as yet (!)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 08 Feb 2015

I've probably asked before, but out of interest, why do operators accept Metro tickets during incidents?

If I was paying for a weekly Crusader ticket, rather than choosing to use the Metro, I'd be a bit miffed if I couldn't get on the bus, due to the operator choosing to bail out the Metro again.

Maybe if operators didn't accept Metro tickets, then people would choose to switch to a more reliable bus service? Over time allowing frequency to be increased, bigger vehicles, etc.

There's also the bigger point it makes to Metro itself. If operators didn't bail them out every time, then they'd have a riot on their hands over at Metro HQ.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - mb134 - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 11:07 am)tyresmoke Think it's around 12-13. Not sure what we'll be using as yet (!)
Any chance of Ashington and Blyth sending vehicles? MAX replacement service anyone? Tongue

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 11:14 am)aureolin I've probably asked before, but out of interest, why do operators accept Metro tickets during incidents?

If I was paying for a weekly Crusader ticket, rather than choosing to use the Metro, I'd be a bit miffed if I couldn't get on the bus, due to the operator choosing to bail out the Metro again.

Maybe if operators didn't accept Metro tickets, then people would choose to switch to a more reliable bus service? Over time allowing frequency to be increased, bigger vehicles, etc.

There's also the bigger point it makes to Metro itself. If operators didn't bail them out every time, then they'd have a riot on their hands over at Metro HQ.

Fair point.

I think the operators will see the upside of getting the cash for running replacement services (or allowing Metro tickets to be used on their bus services) immediately, rather than looking to achieve bigger over time by not helping the Metro out at all.

(08 Feb 2015, 11:15 am)mb134 Any chance of Ashington and Blyth sending vehicles? MAX replacement service anyone? Tongue

Sundays aren't a problem but the Saturdays will be...

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - mb134 - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 11:20 am)tyresmoke Sundays aren't a problem but the Saturdays will be...
Was thinking about that like, don't think Ashington Blyth and Jesmond will have enough spare double deck vehicles to cover a PVR of 13. Could be a right mix of buses!

(They do have to be double deckers don't they?) 

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - citaro5284 - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 11:07 am)tyresmoke Think it's around 12-13. Not sure what we'll be using as yet (!)

Oh Scott....I am surprised, you must have volunteered your services again to come up North?

(08 Feb 2015, 11:42 am)citaro5284 Oh Scott....I am surprised, you must have volunteered your services again to come up North?

Got asked by Jesmond's depot manager so, well, why not Tongue
Two weekends and one of them is my long weekend! Must be mad...

(08 Feb 2015, 12:03 pm)tyresmoke Got asked by Jesmond's depot manager so, well, why not  Tongue
Two weekends and one of them is my long weekend! Must be mad...

How does that work, since it is only weekends, you are working for a different depot and if they were suppose to be your rest days, has your home depot got to change your rest day pattern for you to remain legal?

Just I would not be keen as the Detailer to have to give you a day off so you can work at another depot?

(08 Feb 2015, 12:11 pm)citaro5284 How does that work, since it is only weekends, you are working for a different depot and if they were suppose to be your rest days, has your home depot got to change your rest day pattern for you to remain legal?

Just I would not be keen as the Detailer to have to give you a day off so you can work at another depot?

This weekend coming I'd be working both Saturday & Sunday anyway, weekend after I'm just working a rest day of each week as I'm technically off Fri/Sat & Sun/Mon (our weeks run Sun-Sat)

(08 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm)tyresmoke This weekend coming I'd be working both Saturday & Sunday anyway, weekend after I'm just working a rest day of each week as I'm technically off Fri/Sat & Sun/Mon (our weeks run Sun-Sat)

Ah ok, of course you could say that was worse for the guy who has to cover the shifts at Stockton, he now has 2 extra shifts to cover on a weekend and going back to the discussion a while back, trying to get drivers in to work their rest days is a nightmare to start with.

I guess as long as in any two consecutive weeks (Monday to Sunday) as per domestic driving rules (irrespective of when your weeks run), you have at least one period of 24 hours off duty, then you are legal.

Dont know if many have seen the PSV375, but this gives you all the rules on drivers hours - both EU and Domestic (link below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/208095/rules-on-drivers-hours-and-tachographs-psvs-in-gb-and-europe.pdf

(08 Feb 2015, 12:25 pm)citaro5284 Ah ok, of course you could say that was worse for the guy who has to cover the shifts at Stockton, he now has 2 extra shifts to cover on a weekend and going back to the discussion a while back, trying to get drivers in to work their rest days is a nightmare to start with.

I guess as long as in any two consecutive weeks (Monday to Sunday) as per domestic driving rules (irrespective of when your weeks run), you have at least one period of 24 hours off duty, then you are legal.

Dont know if many have seen the PSV375, but this gives you all the rules on drivers hours - both EU and Domestic (link below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/208095/rules-on-drivers-hours-and-tachographs-psvs-in-gb-and-europe.pdf

Yup although we are almost back up to full strength at Stockton now so covering shifts is less of an issue, there a lot of people who will work rest days at our depot which always helps. We had a driver on loan to Darlington yesterday too.

Yeah there are people known to work every day with a 24 hour rest period in between to ensure they're legal to work every rest day possible! Not my cup of tea but there'll always be one or two who cane the overtime. I'm quite happy working my 5 days - although when special events come up like this I am always willing to go and help out of course Wink

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 08 Feb 2015

How do driver loans work? Is it purely voluntary or is it contractual that the company can 'require' drivers to work from other locations?

Tyne and Wear Metro - R852 PRG - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm)aureolin How do driver loans work? Is it purely voluntary or is it contractual that the company can 'require' drivers to work from other locations?

I would think its voluntary.

I don't think when GNE did the cricket shuttles for the Ashes in 2013, any of the drivers were chosen randomly, I'm positive there was a sheet they had to put their name down at their own call. Smile

(08 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm)aureolin How do driver loans work? Is it purely voluntary or is it contractual that the company can 'require' drivers to work from other locations?

Can be required to work at other locations contractually, however it is usually voluntary. Last year 8 of us went from Stockton to Jesmond for 4 weeks, Darlo sent about 4 or 5 and Durham sent some too.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 08 Feb 2015

Tyne and Wear Metro
7 mins ·
There are delays of up to 30 mins to trains running between Regent Centre and South Hylton due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey.

Is this the same one as this morning?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 08 Feb 2015

(08 Feb 2015, 2:32 pm)Michael Tyne and Wear Metro
7 mins ·
There are delays of up to 30 mins to trains running between Regent Centre and South Hylton due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey.

Is this the same one as this morning?

Bloody hope not. They'll have plenty spare in the depot so it'd be disappointing if theyve had the same one missing all day.

Train cancelled at Sunderland

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 08 Feb 2015

(07 Feb 2015, 8:00 pm)Tommy_1581 What they need to do is, either buy new vehicles or replace Metro with a busway. 

Metro is becoming old, the modernisation of Metro has gone tits up. I remember seeing some infrastructure being held together with an iPod charger.
Just a few points from me, im sure there will be more others would like to add to this list.

1.) It would cost a lot of money for starters.
2.) Entire Metro Infrastructure would have to be removed in stages across the Network.
3.) Pelaw to Sunderland will be a Major Issue due to Regional Rail Services using the same stretch of line as the Metro.
4.) Stations would have to be remodernised to improve passenger accessibility.
5.) How would go about replacing (90 Trains which can carry 180 Passengers I think) on a combined Every 7/8 Minute Frequency, I think youd find you would have to have a Bus every 2/3 Minutes and have at least 270 Buses to cope with Passenger Demand, only Bonus from this is faster Journey Times if said Bus can go over 50mph.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 09 Feb 2015

Ashington's offerings yesterday...

2 drivers
7519 & 7520

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - citaro5284 - 10 Feb 2015

There are delays of up to 25 mins between South Hylton and Airport , up to 15 mins between South Shields and St James, this is due to a failed train.

Posted at 17:20.