North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

Tyne and Wear Metro - MrFozz - 25 Feb 2015

A video from the late 70's/early 80's about thenl introduction of the Metro called Metro - The Way Ahead

Tyne and Wear Metro - MrFozz - 25 Feb 2015

A video about Metro in the late 80's called Clocking up the Kilometres

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 25 Feb 2015

(24 Feb 2015, 11:05 pm)roar Who is responsible for giving the information out here. Service 29 from Heworth to Sunderland????????

Go North East service 1 from Chillingham Road to Wallsend????? Its Stagecoach service 1 that operates along Chillingham Road and it dosn't go to Wallsend. 
Go North East were definitely accepting tickets on their Coaster 1 service. Although it doesn't serve the Interchange, it does stop in the town centre which is all of a two to three minute walk away.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - idiot - 25 Feb 2015

My metro is 9 mins pate atm. Just missed one to!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - MurdnunoC - 25 Feb 2015

(25 Feb 2015, 7:28 am)Dan Go North East were definitely accepting tickets on their Coaster 1 service. Although it doesn't serve the Interchange, it does stop in the town centre which is all of a two to three minute walk away.

Ditto Chillingham Rd Metro Station. I believe it was the station rather than the street to which whomever compiles the updates was referring.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 25 Feb 2015

(25 Feb 2015, 12:24 am)roar Just viewed this youtube video on another forum. Some stupid but very lucky people.

Forcing the doors open.

I quite like that Metro do this. I wish bus operators would start doing it with the driver's view CCTV footage, with morons cutting them up pulling out of junctions, blocking box junctions off, and generally poor parking.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 25 Feb 2015

(25 Feb 2015, 6:10 pm)aureolin I quite like that Metro do this. I wish bus operators would start doing it with the driver's view CCTV footage, with morons cutting them up pulling out of junctions, blocking box junctions off, and generally poor parking.
They probably could do or already do but it isnt publicised by the operator, Im pretty sure Go North East Vehicles have exterior CCTV Cameras along with one on the Dashboard, whether drivers report these incidents or not is an entirely different matter.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 25 Feb 2015

There are delays systemwide due to a technical fault. Delays of up to 30 mins between Airport and South Hylton Delays of up to 15 mins between St James and South Shields Delays of up to 15 mins between South Gosforth and Pelaw

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - MrFozz - 25 Feb 2015

Talking of stupidity on the Metro, I am sure I saw a pic of in the Echo of a young lad on a cable doing a tightrope walk, absolutey barmy Big Grin

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - roar - 25 Feb 2015

(25 Feb 2015, 6:10 pm)aureolin I quite like that Metro do this. I wish bus operators would start doing it with the driver's view CCTV footage, with morons cutting them up pulling out of junctions, blocking box junctions off, and generally poor parking.

There is some good training videos going about that have been made from cctv footage. A cycle awarness one is quite good. Shows how cyclists and bus drivers can take silly risks.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 26 Feb 2015

(25 Feb 2015, 7:18 pm)MrFozz Talking of stupidity on the Metro, I am sure I saw a pic of in the Echo of a young lad on a cable doing a tightrope walk, absolutey barmy Big Grin
Or the one of the woman in the mobility scooter who drove on through one doors and came crashing out the other side.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - MrFozz - 26 Feb 2015

While not quite like the Metro footage, I have seen Bus CCTV footage, the BBC sometimes have a programme about Insurance Scamming and it often includes crash for cash claims against bus companies and uses CCTV to show what happened
(26 Feb 2015, 7:47 am)Andreos1 Or the one of the woman in the mobility scooter who drove on through one doors and came crashing out the other side.
Happened a few times IIRC, one was at Brockley Whins about 7 years ago, are Mobility Scooters still banned.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - DanPicken - 26 Feb 2015

(26 Feb 2015, 8:53 am)MrFozz While not quite like the Metro footage, I have seen Bus CCTV footage, the BBC sometimes have a programme about Insurance Scamming and it often includes crash for cash claims against bus companies and uses CCTV to show what happened
Happened a few times IIRC, one was at Brockley Whins about 7 years ago, are Mobility Scooters still banned.

Yes.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 04 Mar 2015

Delays systemwide due to heavy passenger loadings for the Newcastle Football match - Haha what a joke!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - idiot - 05 Mar 2015

someone on my Facebook said there metro had broken down unsure on how reliable this is.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 05 Mar 2015

(04 Mar 2015, 9:46 pm)Tom Delays systemwide due to heavy passenger loadings for the Newcastle Football match - Haha what a joke!

How is it a joke? Considering many football fans probably finish work at 5, get home and then head out again then unlike a Saturday then the amount of people travelling in a short space of time is more likely hence the delays. 

How many football trains were put on and whether more should be put on is another debate mind! 

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 05 Mar 2015

4004's Next Stop Announcements are broken. The displays read: "NEXUS METRO A lk"

(05 Mar 2015, 1:32 am)Bus_User How is it a joke? Considering many football fans probably finish work at 5, get home and then head out again then unlike a Saturday then the amount of people travelling in a short space of time is more likely hence the delays. 

How many football trains were put on and whether more should be put on is another debate mind! 
We have the same with buses. Unforeseen traffic levels, foreseen match day (and/or other events) traffic, and match day loadings on buses. These all cause delays to service and some are of the opinion that timetables should be altered accordingly to allow for a realistic "just in case" timetable rather than a consistent and less confusing one.

Michael, for example, might think that Stagecoach buses running around in trios at 17:00 in Sunderland is "a joke". Happens every day, with some days worse than others.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 05 Mar 2015

(05 Mar 2015, 6:57 am)Dan We have the same with buses. Unforeseen traffic levels, foreseen match day (and/or other events) traffic, and match day loadings on buses. These all cause delays to service and some are of the opinion that timetables should be altered accordingly to allow for a realistic "just in case" timetable rather than a consistent and less confusing one.

Michael, for example, might think that Stagecoach buses running around in trios at 17:00 in Sunderland is "a joke". Happens every day, with some days worse than others.

It is Tongue 

The new traffic light system at St Mary's, all the traffic lights in the city centre, (i think the whole road near subway needs redoing), and the current works down the beach/Whitburn does not help my service at all.

(05 Mar 2015, 7:01 am)Michael It is  

The new traffic light system at St Mary's, all the traffic lights in the city centre, (i think the whole road near subway needs redoing), and the current works down the beach/Whitburn does not help my service at all.
Without wishing to get too off-topic - bus operators are in more of a position to be able to change their routes to assist in combatting traffic whereas Nexus/DB aren't.

For example, buses could easily run the Stockton Rd/Burdon Rd loop around by Mowbray Park instead of using Holmeside. It is just as quick (if not quicker), and Holmeside could be pedestrianised. People will moan, though, as the stops outside of Hays Travel are very well used. On the flip side, people moan when their buses turn up in twos and threes or not at all as they've been regulated due to traffic in the City Centre.