North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 12 Jun 2015

(12 Jun 2015, 5:42 pm)Michael Tyne and Wear Metro

There are delays of up to 30 mins to trains running between Millfield and Airport due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey.

Millfield?!

It'll affect bloody South Hylton too!  Rolleyes Big Grin

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - northern156 - 12 Jun 2015

(12 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm)Tommy_1581 Millfield?!

It'll affect bloody South Hylton too!  Rolleyes Big Grin

They should just say "If you're wanting to go on the Metro, I wouldn't if I were you"!

Or "Forget about it!"

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 13 Jun 2015

Has anyone seen the video on 'Newcastle Uncovered' on fb?

Can't link the video to the page and is only short, so doesn't show the full picture. Interesting none the less.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 10:24 pm)Andreos1 Has anyone seen the video on 'Newcastle Uncovered' on fb?

Can't link the video to the page and is only short, so doesn't show the full picture. Interesting none the less.

This? http://www.facebook.com/NCLuncovered/videos/878062952286846/

Pretty sure that those inspectors don't have the legal power to pin someone to the ground, whether they're on Metro property or not...

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 13 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 10:35 pm)aureolin This? http://www.facebook.com/NCLuncovered/videos/878062952286846/

Pretty sure that those inspectors don't have the legal power to pin someone to the ground, whether they're on Metro property or not...

Aye, that's the one.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 14 Jun 2015

(13 Jun 2015, 10:35 pm)aureolin This? http://www.facebook.com/NCLuncovered/videos/878062952286846/

I've seen so many instances of this happening in the past - not personally, but on Social Media platforms like Facebook.

There seems to be some mixed feelings on the comments section, and of course we don't know the full story (which, if we did, may alter our views), but I think it's disgraceful for Metro staff to use their position like that and hold people to the ground.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - northern156 - 14 Jun 2015

I personally think it's a good thing - could this act as a deterrent for next time? I think so.

Obviously it wouldn't be right for this to instantly start happening everywhere by everyone. Yes Metro inspectors may not have the powers to do this (and I could see this horribly corrupt justice system seeing the youths as 'victims') however this is definitely better than waiting for the bobbies to turn up with the youths ran away; thus requiring more police resources to find them.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 14 Jun 2015

I'm fully against fare evasion, but wrestling someone to the ground over £20 is bang out of order really. It's intimidating for other passengers using the system, and certainly exceeds what would be seen as 'reasonable force'.

But it puts a message across that it isn't ok to evade the fare. If a bunch of youths are seen running away whilst the 'checkies' are just standing there doing nothing to catch them, it might make it acceptable.

Metro really need ticket barriers at ALL stops on the network - continually manned throughout operation too.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 14 Jun 2015

(14 Jun 2015, 4:31 pm)northern156 But it puts a message across that it isn't ok to evade the fare. If a bunch of youths are seen running away whilst the 'checkies' are just standing there doing nothing to catch them, it might make it acceptable.

Metro really need ticket barriers at ALL stops on the network - continually manned throughout operation too.

Certainly agree with the bit in bold.

At present; fare evaders know the stations which the ticket barriers are almost always functioning, so no longer use these stations. Not only would it completely prevent fare evasion, but it would also provide assistance for customers at all stations.

Sadly I think the cost implication would be massive - not only would the infrastructure itself cost a bomb, but the continued staffing requirements too. I'd imagine that the costs would be higher than the money they'd get back from people who were abusing the system previously.

(14 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm)Dan Certainly agree with the bit in bold.

At present; fare evaders know the stations which the ticket barriers are almost always functioning, so no longer use these stations. Not only would it completely prevent fare evasion, but it would also provide assistance for customers at all stations.

Sadly I think the cost implication would be massive - not only would the infrastructure itself cost a bomb, but the continued staffing requirements too. I'd imagine that the costs would be higher than the money they'd get back from people who were abusing the system previously.

Unfortunately that is true. To give Metro credit, they've had staff plus barriers in operation lately a whole lot more. A few months back you'd walk through Haymarket on a Saturday and the barriers would be left open, dare I say at one of the busiest times of the week? Mostly busy for the younger generations too (no school etc) who would typically be more likely to evade the fare.

I think all ticket barriers on the UK rail network (Network Rail infrastructure) must be manned by someone when they're open, however when I went to Ireland last week you'd see various stations with working barriers but no member of staff. However you don't have the massive complexity of routes and tickets over there.

You couldn't leave barriers in operation on the Metro with no member of staff anyway, seeing as North East Explorer tickets can be purchased on buses (like I do) thus requiring someone to let you through everywhere - unless you could trade in your explorer bus ticket for a Metro one but that's opening a can of worms! Also Sunderland would be a tricky one with the system sharing the platforms with Network Rail - any installed barriers would have to be compatible with each other (at the cost of Network Rail or Northern too), that or separate barriers elsewhere in the station?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 14 Jun 2015

How can anyone say its bang out of order or its disgraceful when we don't know the full facts behind the situation?

I believe self defence should be allowed in situations where it needs to so if the staff involved felt in danger by whatever behaviour they are doing then if pinning them to the ground helps to keep themselves and members of the public more safe then so be it. 

All this "against the law" line annoys me also, travelling on public transport without a ticket IS against the law, simple as. if you get caught and start to make a big song and dance about it which could endanger staff and members of the public, then these people need to be restrained and I think members of the public would welcome that to be honest. 

There is clearly more to this than the video suggests as there is no way any staff member would use this action unless it was absolutely necesssary. 

Also ticket barriers at every station would be a big no no for me, would be a total waste of tax payers money as in most suburban stations, there is plenty of escapes routes which fare dodgers can use so it would be a huge waste of money.

(14 Jun 2015, 5:24 pm)Bus_User All this "against the law" line annoys me also, travelling on public transport without a ticket IS against the law, simple as. if you get caught and start to make a big song and dance about it which could endanger staff and members of the public, then these people need to be restrained and I think members of the public would welcome that to be honest. 

Unfortunately it is not against the law, however it is against (on the Network Rail network) the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, as well as the Metro Conditions of Carriage:

National Rail Conditions of Carriage When you buy a ticket to travel on scheduled services on the National Rail Network you make an agreement with the Train Companies whose trains the ticket allows you to use.
-------
Your obligations

You must:
• Have a valid ticket or tickets for the whole of your journey, at the time you want to travel and on the route and trains you want to use. Unless otherwise indicated, you must purchase your ticket before boarding the train you intend to use.

Tyne & Wear Metro Conditions of Carriage 4.1 – Duty to have a ticket or validated smartcard. You must have a ticket or smartcard that is valid for the whole of the journey being made.
---
5.1 – You must have a valid ticket or smartcard for your journey before you board a Metro train. If you don’t have a valid ticket or smartcard, you may be issued with a Penalty Fare. You will either have to pay the Penalty Fare on the spot or within 21 days.

(14 Jun 2015, 5:24 pm)Bus_User Also ticket barriers at every station would be a big no no for me, would be a total waste of tax payers money as in most suburban stations, there is plenty of escapes routes which fare dodgers can use so it would be a huge waste of money.
I wouldn't imagine such a project would be funded through taxpayers' money (unlike Network Rail). There must be plenty of emergency escape routes, however I think you'll find the number of fare evaders wanting to go through one of these (usually a large [and sometimes alarmed] fire door) are very, very few and far between. Such a project would've been thought through beforehand - I doubt many ticket barriers will have an obvious gap in them.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 14 Jun 2015

(14 Jun 2015, 4:31 pm)northern156 But it puts a message across that it isn't ok to evade the fare. If a bunch of youths are seen running away whilst the 'checkies' are just standing there doing nothing to catch them, it might make it acceptable.

Giving someone a slap for being cheeky puts a message across to them not to do it again, but it's not the right thing to do. Just because someone thinks that they're above paying their fare, doesn't mean that they've forfeit any right to protection under the law of the land.

I do agree with the barriers point. Even the main ones could do with being on more than they are. I quite often come through Central or Heworth and they're switched off, despite Metro committing to extra staff to man them. 

On a separate note, the barriers at Heworth are as much use as a chocolate fireguard anyway. If you come in on the platform from Newcastle, there's absolutely nothing stopping you going through to the Heworth rail station (via the platform walkway), and then up and out via the ramp without barriers...

(14 Jun 2015, 5:24 pm)Bus_User How can anyone say its bang out of order or its disgraceful when we don't know the full facts behind the situation?

I believe self defence should be allowed in situations where it needs to so if the staff involved felt in danger by whatever behaviour they are doing then if pinning them to the ground helps to keep themselves and members of the public more safe then so be it. 

All this "against the law" line annoys me also, travelling on public transport without a ticket IS against the law, simple as. if you get caught and start to make a big song and dance about it which could endanger staff and members of the public, then these people need to be restrained and I think members of the public would welcome that to be honest. 

There is clearly more to this than the video suggests as there is no way any staff member would use this action unless it was absolutely necesssary. 

Also ticket barriers at every station would be a big no no for me, would be a total waste of tax payers money as in most suburban stations, there is plenty of escapes routes which fare dodgers can use so it would be a huge waste of money.

Right there's a sense of irony here. You're having a go at me for saying it's bang out of order without knowing the full facts behind the situation, and then you go on to suggest it's self defence? Mind you, I don't know how you'd justify pinning someone to the ground in open space as self defence in a 6 on 2 situation. I'd suggest it's way beyond reasonable force for self protection. 

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 15 Jun 2015

Very many thanks to the smartly dressed Metro Man who politely informed a gentleman smoking on the Metro platform at Heworth that he couldn't smoke - although this should have gone without saying, given that there are large signs everywhere!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 15 Jun 2015

(15 Jun 2015, 2:47 pm)Dan Very many thanks to the smartly dressed Metro Man who politely informed a gentleman smoking on the Metro platform at Heworth that he couldn't smoke - although this should have gone without saying, given that there are large signs everywhere!

Mr Metro Man was on my Metro on Saturday...

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 15 Jun 2015

(15 Jun 2015, 2:47 pm)Dan Very many thanks to the smartly dressed Metro Man who politely informed a gentleman smoking on the Metro platform at Heworth that he couldn't smoke - although this should have gone without saying, given that there are large signs everywhere!

I can't stop chuckling at the look of the bloke  Big Grin

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 15 Jun 2015

(14 Jun 2015, 7:59 pm)aureolin On a separate note, the barriers at Heworth are as much use as a chocolate fireguard anyway. If you come in on the platform from Newcastle, there's absolutely nothing stopping you going through to the Heworth rail station (via the platform walkway), and then up and out via the ramp without barriers...

Right there's a sense of irony here. You're having a go at me for saying it's bang out of order without knowing the full facts behind the situation, and then you go on to suggest it's self defence? Mind you, I don't know how you'd justify pinning someone to the ground in open space as self defence in a 6 on 2 situation. I'd suggest it's way beyond reasonable force for self protection. 

I agree with the first bit although I don't think 'everyone' is aware of this as some do still get caught I noticed. 

I believe its self defence and it would only be used if it has too, we don't know if these people are intoxicated or posing a danger to themselves or members of the public so I'll back up any staff member using an restraining technique if it means keeping themselves and the public safe and if it hurts them a little bit, then so be it. That said, from what I can see, I don't see a lot wrong with how the guy is restraining him and too me his screams are very much exagerated. 

Also I would bet many people views would be different if it was a policeman who was restraining him just because they got the power... Its wrong people get condemned for helping keeping many people feeling a little bit more secure. 

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 18 Jun 2015

Nexus to invest £40m in Metro modernisation over the next 12 months

Main works include:

The modernisation will include:

• The completed refurbishment of the Metro train fleet
• Track replacement on the QEII Bridge across the river Tyne and between Tynemouth and Northumberland Park stations
• A new Rail Traffic Management System (RTMS) in the Metro Control Room
• The modernisation of Central Station’s Metro ticket hall and platforms
• Station modernisation work at Heworth, Felling and Gateshead Stadium
• A new digital radio system for the Metro train fleet
• A key track junction replaced at Regent Centre

The work forms part of the £389m Metro: all change modernisation programme, a Government-funded scheme to modernise the Tyne and Wear Metro which began in 2010.

At the very bottom:

Nexus is planning further redevelopment work at Sunderland Station, working in partnership with Sunderland Council and Network Rail. These works will complement the improvements made to the sub-surface station in 2010.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus-invest-%C2%A340m-metro-modernisation-over-next-12-months

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 18 Jun 2015

(18 Jun 2015, 5:50 pm)Michael Nexus to invest £40m in Metro modernisation over the next 12 months

Main works include:

The modernisation will include:

The completed refurbishment of the Metro train fleet
• Track replacement on the QEII Bridge across the river Tyne and between Tynemouth and Northumberland Park stations
• A new Rail Traffic Management System (RTMS) in the Metro Control Room
• The modernisation of Central Station’s Metro ticket hall and platforms
• Station modernisation work at Heworth, Felling and Gateshead Stadium
• A new digital radio system for the Metro train fleet
• A key track junction replaced at Regent Centre

The work forms part of the £389m Metro: all change modernisation programme, a Government-funded scheme to modernise the Tyne and Wear Metro which began in 2010.

At the very bottom:

Nexus is planning further redevelopment work at Sunderland Station, working in partnership with Sunderland Council and Network Rail. These works will complement the improvements made to the sub-surface station in 2010.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus-invest-%C2%A340m-metro-modernisation-over-next-12-months
Wonder how much it is costs to Refurbish one Metro Train, then the overall cost of Refurbishing all them is, compared to the cost of purchasing New Trains.