North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 30 Jul 2015

(30 Jul 2015, 5:43 pm)Malarkey Just been a piece on Look North about Reliability of the Metro, and the need for new trains which will cost £400m.

Well they go for it, if London can have all those Billions to update their transport system, why can't the Tyne and Wear Metro.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 30 Jul 2015

(30 Jul 2015, 5:43 pm)Malarkey Just been a piece on Look North about Reliability of the Metro, and the need for new trains which will cost £400m.

Metro Refurb Programme completed ahead of Schedule.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/30m-refurbishment-tyne-wear-metro-9756009

Look North article which notes Reliability Issues.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33715544

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 30 Jul 2015

(30 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm)Michael Well they go for it, if London can have all those Billions to update their transport system, why can't the Tyne and Wear Metro.

Been for years though, but Nexus/DB Regio seem content on wasting Tax Payers Money on this £389m Modernisation of the Network.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - buss14 - 30 Jul 2015

(30 Jul 2015, 6:00 pm)Malarkey Been for years though, but Nexus/DB Regio seem content on wasting Tax Payers Money on this £389m Modernisation of the Network.

i dont think they will pay to get new trains as they have refurbished the minority of the trains they have. time will tell but hopefully they will think about the passengers and not about going the cheaper way around the issue.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - idiot - 31 Jul 2015

How can Nexus fine DB? DB operate Nexus metros and its the metros that are causing the delays!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 6:41 am)idiot How can Nexus fine DB? DB operate Nexus metros and its the metros that are causing the delays!
Because Nexus have outsourced the operations and running of Metro to a private contractor (DB). Their contact will have several performance indicators, with penalties for breaching them, and service credits for exceeding them.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 6:41 am)idiot How can Nexus fine DB? DB operate Nexus metros and its the metros that are causing the delays!

Nexus also fines bus operators for losing mileage (for whatever reason - regulation due to late running, an accident, etc) on secured services. There's very little incentive for bus operators to regulate secured services due to late running as they'll receive a penalty fine for not operating the service. Funny that the secured services have some of the most difficult timetables to stick to (make of that what you will) - but the operators know what they're signing up for when they tender to operate the service..! I guess a similar story applies here, with DB Regio presumably knowing what they're signing up for with these ancient trains that are past their best.

Speaking of delays and disruption - apparently two trains due from 06:10am onwards didn't turn up until around 06:35am (meaning that the usual train due at that time was carrying two or three loads which led to further delays)...

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Lm2606 - 31 Jul 2015

(24 Jul 2015, 9:48 am)South Tyne Lad There's a sensor underneath the Metrocar and a sensor on the track which when the metro passes over it, Activates the " Next station is " or " This is ****** "
the sensor on the track is also connected to a network of cables underneath the track which will record the trains headcode and destination and then display it on the station moniters and the control centre in South Gosforth.

99% of the time its the refurbished metrocars that are always faulty, think its something to do with a error that happened while Wabtec where rewiring them.

This is incorrect, it works from a GPS system and when the GPS looses signal you get non-stop announcements or they go off altogether.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 8:27 am)Lm2606 This is incorrect, it works from a GPS system and when the GPS looses signal you get non-stop announcements or they go off altogether.

Had 4055 at Tynemouth yesterday and it did every stop until Ilford Road while flashing "This is / Tynemouth".

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 31 Jul 2015

(30 Jul 2015, 6:19 pm)buss14 i dont think they will pay to get new trains as they have refurbished the minority of the trains they have. time will tell but hopefully they will think about the passengers and not about going the cheaper way around the issue.

The multi-million pound modernisation of the system is actually preparing the lines, infrastructure etc for the possibility of new units. After all, you don't want old railway lines, cream and yellow stations etc serving new and smoother Metro units with a different colour scheme? 

One of the reasons that they may have refurbished the units is because of the DDA regulations and also the units were becoming tatty and smelly.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - citaro5284 - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 8:27 am)Lm2606 This is incorrect, it works from a GPS system and when the GPS looses signal you get non-stop announcements or they go off altogether.

What happens when they are underground as I would not think the GPS would work say at Haymarket or Monument?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Lm2606 - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 4:05 pm)citaro5284 What happens when they are underground as I would not think the GPS would work say at Haymarket or Monument?

Signal repeaters were installed in the tunnels long before the GPS net stop technology was introduced to allow passengers to use mobile phones in tunnels.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - citaro5284 - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 4:07 pm)Lm2606 Signal repeaters were installed in the tunnels long before the GPS net stop technology was introduced to allow passengers to use mobile phones in tunnels.

Ah OK, I am with EE and my phone does not work in the tunnels, cannot even get a reception on the platform at Gateshead Metro

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 4:09 pm)citaro5284 Ah OK, I am with EE and my phone does not work in the tunnels, cannot even get a reception on the platform at Gateshead Metro

I can't on my EE phone either for some reason, but voice and text works fine on my O2 phone.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 31 Jul 2015

(31 Jul 2015, 4:09 pm)citaro5284 Ah OK, I am with EE and my phone does not work in the tunnels, cannot even get a reception on the platform at Gateshead Metro

I can't get any signal as soon as I pass the ticket barriers at Gateshead. I regularly jump on the first Metro and get off at Gateshead Stadium just so my waiting time for the Metro can be a little bit more tolerable.

Similar story at all of the underground stations, minus Sunderland and Park Lane.

I am with Three.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 01 Aug 2015

Interesting...
(Source: Kevin Dickinson of the Sort out the Metro Facebook group)
What Nexus said in October 2011:
"The refurbishment programme, which will continue until 2014, is being managed by DBTW against rigorous timescales, while ensuring it has no impact on the day-to-day operation of Metro, which requires more than 80 of the fleet at peak times."
What Nexus said in February 2014:
"The £30m modernisation of Tyne and Wear Metro trains has reached the halfway mark, with the project on schedule to be completely finished by May 2015."
What Nexus said yesterday:
"The £30m refurbishment of the Tyne and Wear Metro’s train fleet has been successfully completed, five months ahead of schedule."
Easy to finish ahead of schedule if you keep changing what the schedule is.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 10 Aug 2015

Service suspended Shiremoor-Tynemouth Platform 2, passengers are advised trains are running through Platform 1

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - S813 FVK - 11 Aug 2015

Suppose it is so unreliable (in some people's opinions) that nobody realised it was the Tyne and Wear Metros 35th birthday today.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/iconic-tyne-wear-metro-transport-9833261

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - omnicity4659 - 11 Aug 2015

(11 Aug 2015, 6:53 pm)S813 FVK Suppose it is so unreliable (in some people's opinions) that nobody realised it was the Tyne and Wear Metros 35th birthday today.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/iconic-tyne-wear-metro-transport-9833261

Really?! I'm surprised they aren't celebrating it 5 months ahead of schedule.........

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 13 Aug 2015

Tyne and Wear Metro

There are minor delays to trains running between Northumberland Park and South Shields due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey.