North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - LVK 404L - 14 Jan 2016

(14 Jan 2016, 9:56 am)Andreos1 Someone from DB Regio was on Radio Newcastle earlier, they stated the source of the fault had been identified and it was water in the OLE that was causing the issue.

The repairs were compounded with the line being live for Northern services.

Hopefully sorted by tomorrow.

Northern rail services have been operating all 3 days whilst metro has been off. So they haven't fixed it to enable the northern trains to operate

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 14 Jan 2016

(14 Jan 2016, 12:06 pm)ifm001 Northern rail services have been operating all 3 days whilst metro has been off. So they haven't fixed it to enable the northern trains to operate

Eh?
You have confused me. 

Who has said it was fixed so Northern could operate?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - LeeCalder - 15 Jan 2016

(14 Jan 2016, 12:06 pm)ifm001 Northern rail services have been operating all 3 days whilst metro has been off. So they haven't fixed it to enable the northern trains to operate

Northern services use a seperate stretch of track between Newcastle and Pelaw - Also Northern don't require overhead wires.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - DanPicken - 24 Jan 2016

The Metro will be off between Shiremoor and Tynemouth between Saturday 19th March to Saturday 2nd April for Modernisation. It will also be of March 5/6 and March 12/3 and July 23 to August 6. I believe the 2 weekends in March are Shiremoor to Tynemouth but the 15 days one in Summer is somewhere else. Info from Sort Out The Metro (Official) where someone got a letter from Metro/Nexus.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 24 Jan 2016

(24 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm)DanPicken The Metro will be off between Shiremoor and Tynemouth between Saturday 19th March to Saturday 2nd April for Modernisation. It will also be of March 5/6 and March 12/3 and July 23 to August 6. I believe the 2 weekends in March are Shiremoor to Tynemouth but the 15 days one in Summer is somewhere else. Info from Sort Out The Metro (Official) where someone got a letter from Metro/Nexus.

That'll be fun for the passengers, wonder who'll operate the metro replacement.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 24 Jan 2016

Benton is closed and trains will not be stopping at this station until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - DanPicken - 25 Jan 2016

13 February 2016 - No trains St James - Wallsend 13, 14 February
No trains will run between St James and Wallsend all day on 13 and 14 February, to allow for modernisation work. A frequent replacement bus service 900 will be running in the affected area. Replacement bus stopping locations and timetables will be available soon. Please allow extra time for your journey. During the work Monument platform 3 and 4 will be closed.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - DanPicken - 26 Jan 2016

Pallion is closed and trains will not be stopping at this station until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 26 Jan 2016

(26 Jan 2016, 5:22 pm)DanPicken Pallion is closed and trains will not be stopping at this station until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information.

Jesus, why don't they just renew the whole lot, nothing but trouble that line!

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - S813 FVK - 26 Jan 2016

So it isn't just the overhead wires that have having issues. Its the platform equipment aswell (unless it is the overhead lines and is, for now just a 'dead' section)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 26 Jan 2016

(26 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm)Michael Jesus, why don't they just renew the whole lot, nothing but trouble that line!

Errr No... Unless your willing to accept paying money for a line that opened just under 14 years ago... 

There does seem to be quite a few power supply problems(which don't affect the OHL, just the stations electrical equipment) lately, no idea the cause behind it but obviously the worse time of year for them to occur with the dark nights.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 26 Jan 2016

(26 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm)Bus_User Errr No... Unless your willing to accept paying money for a line that opened just under 14 years ago... 

There does seem to be quite a few power supply problems(which don't affect the OHL, just the stations electrical equipment) lately, no idea the cause behind it but obviously the worse time of year for them to occur with the dark nights.

Err i meant the power supplies and stuff, not the track.

I don't think we'll find out the problem, they'll just deny it amd blame others like they do now...

New trains should be on the list next...which they won't be... they'll want to replace the track again... haha

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 26 Jan 2016

(26 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm)Bus_User Errr No... Unless your willing to accept paying money for a line that opened just under 14 years ago... 

We're likely to never find the cause behind power issues, given the sensitive nature of that information.

SR4 (which includes Pallion) was having power supply issues earlier today, and I'm wondering if that's caused some problems for the station later on.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 27 Jan 2016

(26 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm)Michael Err i meant the power supplies and stuff, not the track.

I don't think we'll find out the problem, they'll just deny it amd blame others like they do now...

New trains should be on the list next...which they won't be... they'll want to replace the track again... haha

Well yes the track will need replacing otherwise you will risk of having speed restrictions all over the place otherwise giving just how old the track is in some parts of the system, especially on the North Tyneside side of the system hence the works that will go on this spring and summer. 

Obviously a new fleet of trains are currently being planned but unfortunately it will be down to the government whether they will approve plans for a fleet of new trains, and even if they do, it will still be many years before we see them into service and I think having them in service between 2023-25 is optimistic to say the least. 

Of course, a new fleet of trains should of been planned well before the system was privitised, it still annoys me that Mike Parker(director general of Nexus at the time) back in 2005 was more interested in too ambitious plans of street tram running mixed in with the current metro lines instead of planning on the current infrastructure. Of course if Project Orpheus was approved then maybe we would a fleet of new vehicles now but as I say, the plans were too ambitious, probably too costly and in my view a total waste of time.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 27 Jan 2016

(27 Jan 2016, 12:38 am)Bus_User Well yes the track will need replacing otherwise you will risk of having speed restrictions all over the place otherwise giving just how old the track is in some parts of the system, especially on the North Tyneside side of the system hence the works that will go on this spring and summer. 

Obviously a new fleet of trains are currently being planned but unfortunately it will be down to the government whether they will approve plans for a fleet of new trains, and even if they do, it will still be many years before we see them into service and I think having them in service between 2023-25 is optimistic to say the least. 

Of course, a new fleet of trains should of been planned well before the system was privitised, it still annoys me that Mike Parker(director general of Nexus at the time) back in 2005 was more interested in too ambitious plans of street tram running mixed in with the current metro lines instead of planning on the current infrastructure. Of course if Project Orpheus was approved then maybe we would a fleet of new vehicles now but as I say, the plans were too ambitious, probably too costly and in my view a total waste of time.

NEPO have released details of a new Nexus tender this morning.
'Framework agreement for the consultancy support for the Metro concession in relation to rolling stock, economic an operational requirements'.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 28 Jan 2016

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sortoutthemetro/permalink/848194935289193/

"At the meeting whilst Tobyn Hughes accepted the standard of metro performance was not as it should be he said he believed issues were exaggerated by a small number who posted issues on social media."

An interesting summary of the meeting, but I find the comments from Tobyn Hughes to be incredibly arrogant. I wonder how many users of the Metro system would agree with him, given that most are actually commenting on failures or outages that Metro report?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - DanPicken - 29 Jan 2016

21 February 2016 - No trains Airport to South Gosforth
No trains will run between Airport and South Gosforth all day on Sunday 21 February, to allow for modernisation work. A frequent replacement bus service 900 will be running in the affected area. Replacement bus stopping points and timetables will be available shortly. At Callerton Parkway the bus stop outside of the station will not be used, replacement services will call at the stops on the B6918 road. Your journey will take longer so please allow for additonal travel time. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

28 February 2016 - No trains Airport to South Gosforth
No trains will run between Airport and South Gosforth all day on Sunday 28 February, to allow for modernisation work. A frequent replacement bus service 900 will be running in the affected area. Replacement bus stopping points and timetables will be available shortly. At Callerton Parkway the bus stop outside of the station will not be used, replacement services will call at the stops on the B6918 road. Your journey will take longer so please allow for additonal travel time. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

19 March 2016 - 15 day Major Line Closure Tynemouth - Shiremoor
No trains will run between Tynemouth and Shiremoor from Saturday 19 March - 2 April to allow for a major programme of track replacement work. During the closure a frequent replacement bus service will be running in the affected area. Replacement bus timetables and stopping points will be available soon. Your journey will take longer so please allow for extra travel time. Metro services will resume on Sunday 3 April. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 29 Jan 2016

Off an hour ago:

There are delays systemwide due to obstruction on the line.
Delays of up to 15 mins between Airport and South Hylton
Delays of up to 15 mins between St James and South Shields 
Delays of up to 15 mins between South Gosforth and Pelaw

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - South Tyne Lad - 29 Jan 2016

My opinion is the non standard type of OLE that's only used on Tramways in Mainland Europe.

(26 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm)Michael Err i meant the power supplies and stuff, not the track.

Power supplies will not be replaced for the certain future unless reliability gets worse than it currently is.

Though the majority of track between Pelaw and Sunderland will be life expired in 2 years, Having been new in 1978 though a section between Pelaw and Fellgate was replaced in 2014.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 29 Jan 2016

(29 Jan 2016, 7:59 pm)South Tyne Lad My opinion is the non standard type of OLE that's only used on Tramways in Mainland Europe.

Power supplies will not be replaced for the certain future unless reliability gets worse than it currently is.

Though the majority of track between Pelaw and Sunderland will be life expired in 2 years, Having been new in 1978 though a section between Pelaw and Fellgate was replaced in 2014.

Wonder if they'll replace that then, it might take a while but it'll be worth it... as long as they get new trains to Tongue