North East Buses
Compass Community Transport - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Other Operators (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Forum: Tyne & Wear Independents (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: Compass Community Transport (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Compass Community Transport - gtom - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm)Daniel Well they've only just snatched the 73 from GNE, the company who offers a "Nexus Bus" branded Euro 5 Solo SR...

I'd love to know what action Nexus takes (as it promised) I have a horrible feeling its a letter or a phone call saying 'C'mon guys, don't send that van out'

RE: Compass Community Transport - BJ10VUS - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:28 pm)gtomlinson I'd love to know what action Nexus takes (as it promised) I have a horrible feeling its a letter or a phone call saying 'C'mon guys, don't send that van out'

You'd think they could at least swap the van for a second-hand Dart MPD or something like that!

I understand that the independants probably can't afford the shiny brand-new vehicles that the 'big three' can, but they need to get their act together.

RE: Compass Community Transport - Adrian - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm)Daniel Well they've only just snatched the 73 from GNE, the company who offers a "Nexus Bus" branded Euro 5 Solo SR...

What's the deal with the 73? I caught it the other morning, and it was a GNE Solo as you mention, so I managed to use my BuzzFare no issue at all. Coming back over though it was a white Cadet ran by Compass, and I couldn't use my BuzzFare. Are they running a vehicle each or something?

I don't think Compass would be in a position to bid for any more work? I understand they have 8 contracts (8/8X, 23, 37, 38/38C, 73, 79/79A, 515, and 558) with a fleet size of 9? I'd personally say they've taken on far too much as it is.

(18 Aug 2013, 7:33 pm)aureolin What's the deal with the 73? I caught it the other morning, and it was a GNE Solo as you mention, so I managed to use my BuzzFare no issue at all. Coming back over though it was a white Cadet ran by Compass, and I couldn't use my BuzzFare. Are they running a vehicle each or something?

I think Compass run one journey per day?

(18 Aug 2013, 7:32 pm)BJ10VUS You'd think they could at least swap the van for a second-hand Dart MPD or something like that!

I understand that the independants probably can't afford the shiny brand-new vehicles that the 'big three' can, but they need to get their act together.

I'm unsure how bus ownership works but if my car goes off the road for a service, the dealer gives me a courtesy vehicle

Surely it wouldn't cost much to rent something from Ensign?

RE: Compass Community Transport - Kuyoyo - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:33 pm)aureolin What's the deal with the 73? I caught it the other morning, and it was a GNE Solo as you mention, so I managed to use my BuzzFare no issue at all. Coming back over though it was a white Cadet ran by Compass, and I couldn't use my BuzzFare. Are they running a vehicle each or something?

I don't think Compass would be in a position to bid for any more work? I understand they have 8 contracts (8/8X, 23, 37, 38/38C, 73, 79/79A, 515, and 558) with a fleet size of 9? I'd personally say they've taken on far too much as it is.

Compass operate one board on the 73, same with the 23 and 515/558 (515/558 is one contract using 1 vehicle). Their board on the 37 is peak-time only while the 8X and 38/38C are evening and Sunday only. So, during the main daytime, they actually only have 4 buses out all day with a fifth joining them at peak times.

RE: Compass Community Transport - Dan - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:35 pm)BJ10VUS I think Compass run one journey per day?

No, one board (admittedly often allocated one of Deptford's yellow MPDs which later ran onto the 592 if I am correct) was taken on by Compass, while GNE retained the other which was allocated the usual SR.
So they alternate hourly, one being done by GNE and the other by Compass.

RE: Compass Community Transport - Andreos1 - 18 Aug 2013

I'm just wondering, without doing any digging whether they are a charity/not for profit business...

Hence running the stock they do.

Not using it as an excuse or saying they are/aren't suitable for Nexus Contracts - but by lacking (and I'm saying this through gritted teeth) shareholder investment, that a PLC would have, then maybe they can't afford to upgrade their fleet as it stands.

Edit: https://secure.thebiggive.org.uk/charity/view/2624 They're a Charity...

(18 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm)Andreos1 I'm just wondering, without doing any digging whether they are a charity/not for profit business...

Hence running the stock they do.

Not using it as an excuse or saying they are/aren't suitable for Nexus Contracts - but by lacking (and I'm saying this through gritted teeth) shareholder investment, that a PLC would have, then maybe they can't afford to upgrade their fleet as it stands.

Edit: https://secure.thebiggive.org.uk/charity/view/2624 They're a Charity...

I think that despite their use of the Iveco, their fleet is actually decent. Their newest full-size vehicle is an 08-reg Solo, and their oldest a Y-reg Solo - so it's not particularly 'old' for an independent.

The vans should never be out. Given the above mentioned number of 5 vehicles (+2 on hospital Park&Ride if you want to include those too) being out at one point in the day, we see their fleet below:
http://northeastbus.co.uk/companies/compasscommtrans.htm

The above excludes the Ivecos and other vans they have running about, as well as the P&R branded ones which are almost always out on the correct service.

RE: Compass Community Transport - Andreos1 - 18 Aug 2013

(18 Aug 2013, 7:57 pm)BJ10VUS I think that despite their use of the Iveco, their fleet is actually decent. Isn't their newest vehicle is an 08-reg Solo(?) and their oldest a Y-reg Solo(?) - so it's not particularly 'old' for an independent.

Far from it, not old at all.
I have done enough maths for tonight, so not sure what the average age of their fleet is.

Rather than the age of the fleet, it's probably the suitability of it with regard to the contract requirements.

(18 Aug 2013, 8:03 pm)Andreos1 Far from it, not old at all.
I have done enough maths for tonight, so not sure what the average age of their fleet is.

Rather than the age of the fleet, it's probably the suitability of it with regard to the contract requirements.

Average fleet age is 10 years.

If a Nexus Bus livery is actually required, surely nothing meets contract requirements?
Excluding that, they have 8 members of the fleet that are suitable.
I assume the two P&R branded ones meet the contract requirement too, given they're actually branded for it and it is the council that pays for those rather than Nexus if I am correct?

(18 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm)Daniel If a Nexus Bus livery is actually required, surely nothing meets contract requirements?

To be honest, the majority of the Taxi Bus services, nor A-Line have anything in Nexus Bus livery - so it's not just Compass. I think people are more concerned about whether a bus turns up - not what colour it is

(18 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm)BJ10VUS To be honest, the majority of the Taxi Bus services, nor A-Line have anything in Nexus Bus livery - so it's not just Compass. I think people are more concerned about whether a bus turns up - not what colour it is

Nexus can't have that sort of attitude if/when QCS comes along...

(18 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm)BJ10VUS To be honest, the majority of the Taxi Bus services, nor A-Line have anything in Nexus Bus livery - so it's not just Compass. I think people are more concerned about whether a bus turns up - not what colour it is

The whole point in the livery was Nexus throwing their weight about, and putting the "we're paying for this" stamp onto the services. It's their prerogative I suppose. I've asked the question a few times of Nexus but never had anything near a sensible answer back.

But the issue that first brought this up was that someone missed a bus because they didn't realise it was the bus. (does that make sense?)

Anyhoo, they've signed a contract, they know the requirements, they should meet that contract and its requirements

TaxiBus is a different thing, looking on their own forum Nexus look to be aware of the limitations of the taxi bus.

(18 Aug 2013, 8:47 pm)gtomlinson But the issue that first brought this up was that someone missed a bus because they didn't realise it was the bus. (does that make sense?)

Anyhoo, they've signed a contract, they know the requirements, they should meet that contract and its requirements

TaxiBus is a different thing, looking on their own forum Nexus look to be aware of the limitations of the taxi bus.

Agree - someone asked a similar question on the Nexus Forums regarding Arriva using corporate liveried solos on Nexus Bus routes. The Nexus response being "We expect to see branded buses on the routes we pay for using public funds unless there are operational problems."

http://www.nexus.org.uk/nexusbus-arriva

First post on Page 8 Wink

(18 Aug 2013, 8:51 pm)aureolin Agree - someone asked a similar question on the Nexus Forums regarding Arriva using corporate liveried solos on Nexus Bus routes. The Nexus response being "We expect to see branded buses on the routes we pay for using public funds unless there are operational problems."

http://www.nexus.org.uk/nexusbus-arriva

I believe Compass claimed the Solo and Bluebird were VOR.