North East Buses
Whats made you happy today? - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Whats made you happy today? (/showthread.php?tid=930)

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Michael - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 11:24 am)aureolin That's shocking. We had similar issues when I went to college over 10 years ago. Lecturers coming and going, no lesson plans, vague knowledge of the course they were teaching (excuse was usually that it was a new course), and work not being marked. We ended up going to see the Principal in numbers and it got sorted out like. Smile

tried the head of the college, he was to busy to see us.. probables being rolling around in his money or sharping his pencils... haha

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 11:27 am)Michael tried the head of the college, he was to busy to see us.. probables being rolling around in his money or sharping his pencils... haha

Don't let him fob you off. If yous go in numbers and make it clear that you'll remain there until you're seen to, or alternatively given an appointment, you'll sharp get to see him.

(24 Apr 2014, 11:28 am)aureolin Don't let him fob you off. If yous go in numbers and make it clear that you'll remain there until you're seen to, or alternatively given an appointment, you'll sharp get to see him.

we did, 3 times, not bothered, if nothing is sorted for the 2nd year, its gonna go further

Re: RE: Whats made you happy today? - MrFozz - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 11:27 am)Michael tried the head of the college, he was to busy to see us.. probables being rolling around in his money or sharping his pencils... haha

That really is a shocking way to deal with your problems, I have been lucky in the college courses I took that I had good teachers...I even had a teacher who is now semi-famous, should not really name drop, but Charlotte was the best teacher I could have ever asked for Big Grin

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Andreos1 - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 11:30 am)Michael we did, 3 times, not bothered, if nothing is sorted for the 2nd year, its gonna go further

Is there a NUS representative there?

It isn't too long ago, that there were mass redundancies of frontline and backroom staff at Usworth.
It looks like there are issues and an undercurrent, that is affecting those who are the most important - the students.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Malarkey - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 11:49 am)Andreos Constantopolous Is there a NUS representative there?

It isn't too long ago, that there were mass redundancies of frontline and backroom staff at Usworth.
It looks like there are issues and an undercurrent, that is affecting those who are the most important - the students.

All the Redundancies happened just after I left in the Summer of 2012, Basically if you didn't get sack, you got moved to a Different College in the Sunderland Area. All the Tutors I had in my 2nd/3rd Year moved over to Bede or Hylton College.

What was daft about it was, the fact they all got replaced by staff who were at Shiney Row College, from what I was told when I went back in to get some Maths Revison for a Test I had for Job I applied for at the time.

It would seem after 2 Years that there is still a lot of Problems with City of Sunderland as a whole, what those problem are I don't know, but take a guess and say it was to do with Money and/or Government Funding.

(24 Apr 2014, 1:58 pm)NEBCD Malarkey All the Redundancies happened just after I left in the Summer of 2012, Basically if you didn't get sack, you got moved to a Different College in the Sunderland Area. All the Tutors I had in my 2nd/3rd Year moved over to Bede or Hylton College.

What was daft about it was, the fact they all got replaced by staff who were at Shiney Row College, from what I was told when I went back in to get some Maths Revison for a Test I had for Job I applied for at the time.

It would seem after 2 Years that there is still a lot of Problems with City of Sunderland as a whole, what those problem are I don't know, but take a guess and say it was to do with Money and/or Government Funding.

There were big cuts in 2009 too, with all of the sites affected, including Usworth.

There have been funding cuts, but the finance and budget depts, should be able to forecast and plan for these events.

However, if sickness levels are high, then moral is obviously low and management need to resolve it.

If they don't, then Ofsted will have a field day and the downward spiral will continue.

Doesnt help they want to shut hylton college down and replace ot with a new one in the city centre....

Needs to be sorted quickly as out because numbers will drop

RE: Whats made you happy today? - MurdnunoC - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm)Michael Needs to be sorted quickly as out because numbers will drop

Numbers may drop slightly, but I imagine the college will plodding-on as school-leavers will always be cajoled into pursuing further education at colleges - especially if they're tired of the rigidities that schools invariably bring.

Unless Sunderland College don't offer a specific course, then I'd presume that most school-leavers (or prospective students) will attend the institution most local to them for the sake of convenience (and, to lesser extent, overall costs including travel etc.) without considering other factors such as the quality of teaching or overall satisfaction ratings. The proximity of other institutions also offers choice. For example, if living in Gateshead or Newcastle, you have the option of either Newcastle or Gateshead Colleges as they are situated near one another. I'm guessing that in Sunderland this is not the case - meaning that there's only one real local option available to people living within the city, Sunderland College.

Re: RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 2:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous There were big cuts in 2009 too, with all of the sites affected, including Usworth.

There have been funding cuts, but the finance and budget depts, should be able to forecast and plan for these events.

However, if sickness levels are high, then moral is obviously low and management need to resolve it.

If they don't, then Ofsted will have a field day and the downward spiral will continue.

They've always had a huge morale problem from what I've heard. The constant restructuring internally won't help matters either.

I do notice that they constantly seem to get really high results though?

(24 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm)aureolin They've always had a huge morale problem from what I've heard. The constant restructuring internally won't help matters either.

I do notice that they constantly seem to get really high results though?

The success rates are improving according to their last ofsted report, but isn't fantastic.
Their ofsted gradings seem to have dropped too.

Looking at the last one in 2010, they should be due another inspection soon.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 6:32 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The success rates are improving according to their last ofsted report, but isn't fantastic.
Their ofsted gradings seem to have dropped too.

Looking at the last one in 2010, they should be due another inspection soon.

You're right. I'm sure I keep seeing adverts comparing their results to other colleges in the region though?

Data here if anyone is interested http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=131347&superview=p16

(24 Apr 2014, 7:25 pm)aureolin You're right. I'm sure I keep seeing adverts comparing their results to other colleges in the region though?

Data here if anyone is interested http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=131347&superview=p16

Its like the Passenger Focus figures or Tesco saying they're cheaper than Asda, but Asda saying they beat all the other supermarkets on price.
There are lies, more lies and statistics Wink

Schools often advertise that 97% of pupils got an A-C grade. What they don't mention, is that the majority of those pupils were nearer a C, than anything else.

Management has changed since the last visit and staff are on the sick.
It doesn't bode well.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloading/%3Fid%3D970943%26type%3D1&sa=U&ei=DHJZU7vWMcOw7QaLsYDgAQ&ved=0CAsQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGVEtwskBC__aELigGDNOau6wqPbg
Last report

RE: Whats made you happy today? - MurdnunoC - 24 Apr 2014

(24 Apr 2014, 8:13 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Its like the Passenger Focus figures or Tesco saying they're cheaper than Asda, but Asda saying they beat all the other supermarkets on price.
There are lies, more lies and statistics Wink

Schools often advertise that 97% of pupils got an A-C grade. What they don't mention, is that the majority of those pupils were nearer a C, than anything else.

True, true. As they say 88.8% of statistics are made up anyway. How the data is spun is how you win people over. For example, statistics from road-safety groups claim that around 5% of motoring accidents are caused by people using their phones while driving. Spin that on it's head and you can claim that around 95% of motoring accidents are not caused by motorists using their phones whilst driving, thereby making the case that using your phone whilst driving is a relatively safe practise.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adam - 25 Apr 2014

Chose my Firm and Insurance offers on UCAS for university today. Put Business Leadership & Corporate Management at Northumbria as my firm with Business Management at Newcastle as my insurance. All I can do now is hope and pray.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Michael - 25 Apr 2014

(25 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm)Adam Chose my Firm and Insurance offers on UCAS for university today. Put Business Leadership & Corporate Management at Northumbria as my firm with Business Management at Newcastle as my insurance. All I can do now is hope and pray.

Good Luck! =D

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adam - 25 Apr 2014

(25 Apr 2014, 6:16 pm)Michael Good Luck! =D

Thank you Smile

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Dan - 29 Apr 2014

We've got to do a leavers' assembly on Thursday and I was put in charge of putting it all together. I've thoroughly enjoyed going through photos from the past five years and seeing how we've all changed.

At the request of members of my year group, the background music is "#SELFIE" and we've got 300 photos of all 24 of us playing through the song.

As a year group, we aren't particularly close. We all have our small groups, but recently we've been coming together as one and it's been really nice!

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Rapidsnap - 09 May 2014

Car passing MOT, which means I can now look forward to my 6 day trip to Scotland which starts next Friday.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Dan - 09 May 2014

(09 May 2014, 6:17 pm)GMitchelhill Car passing MOT, which means I can now look forward to my 6 day trip to Scotland which starts next Friday.

Six days? Christ!