Notice: Undefined variable: username in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(587) : eval()'d code on line 4

Notice: Undefined variable: password in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(587) : eval()'d code on line 9

Notice: Undefined variable: captcha in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(587) : eval()'d code on line 24

Notice: Undefined variable: redirect_url in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(587) : eval()'d code on line 34

Notice: Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lostpw_note in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(587) : eval()'d code on line 42

Notice: Undefined variable: customcolor_headerinclude in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(958) : eval()'d code on line 20

Notice: Undefined property: MyLanguage::$stats_tab in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/global.php(1070) : eval()'d code on line 28

Notice: Undefined variable: standardthreadtools in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/showthread.php(1650) : eval()'d code on line 106

Notice: Undefined variable: customthreadtools in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/showthread.php(1650) : eval()'d code on line 107

Notice: Undefined variable: standardthreadtools in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/showthread.php(1650) : eval()'d code on line 197

Notice: Undefined variable: customthreadtools in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/showthread.php(1650) : eval()'d code on line 198
What's new?
Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era What's new?

What's new?

What's new?

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

NEB Admin Team
Unregistered

03 May 2013, 10:56 pm
Until the time comes when we're able to increase our server capacity to upload a further 6000+ files, I'm planning on some changes.

In the server, I've unearthed the complete set of timetables from the Go North East thread and the Tyne and Wear Timetables thread, so I can get to work on replacing the last remaining attachments with these URL links instead. This should give the threads a much simpler look.

Threads are currently set up where all the information for each operator is in the first post. While it's nice to keep it all together; in the case of the Go North East thread, I think it can be quite difficult to scroll down to what you want. I'm contemplating splitting the top post into multiple posts with hyperlinks at the top of the thread, which would direct visitors immediately further down the page to where they want to be. I think this would be especially useful in the Go North East thread and the Stagecoach thread.

For the Bygone Era to evolve, I think we need to be offering more than timetables. I want to return to having photos within each thread - and I'm already getting in contact with some Flickr members to see if we can link in appropriate sets and/or having images hosted with their expressed permission. Following a suggestion, I'm very keen to include a company history on each company and I hope that this would be of interest to some visitors. As well as a generic company history, I can see merit in the idea of providing a brief background on each service listed, i.e. "what the service was replaced by, is it still running today? If so what route does it now take?" If this becomes too crowded, could we offer an insight into specific groups of services in towns/cities instead?

In the Go North East, Stagecoach and Redby threads, I've trialled having a logo image at the top of the post to improve the overall look and feel of the thread. I'm quite happy with how these look and I'll be rolling these out to the other threads in due course.

These changes will be gradually on-going over the next few weeks and will also involve some re-organising of content within some threads to improve navigation and appearance. Unlike the overhaul currently undergoing in the Local Bus Scene area of North East Buses which will be unveiled once complete, changes here will be made on an on-going basis. I don't envisage this work causing any disruption to content here within The Bygone Era.

I hope these changes will be positive for The Bygone Era. I believe they're necessary to grow the section and improve the offer for visitors. If you have any suggestions or any other changes you'd like to suggest, drop them in a reply below or PM me! I'm really keen to hear your thoughts Big Grin
NEB Admin Team
03 May 2013, 10:56 pm #17

Until the time comes when we're able to increase our server capacity to upload a further 6000+ files, I'm planning on some changes.

In the server, I've unearthed the complete set of timetables from the Go North East thread and the Tyne and Wear Timetables thread, so I can get to work on replacing the last remaining attachments with these URL links instead. This should give the threads a much simpler look.

Threads are currently set up where all the information for each operator is in the first post. While it's nice to keep it all together; in the case of the Go North East thread, I think it can be quite difficult to scroll down to what you want. I'm contemplating splitting the top post into multiple posts with hyperlinks at the top of the thread, which would direct visitors immediately further down the page to where they want to be. I think this would be especially useful in the Go North East thread and the Stagecoach thread.

For the Bygone Era to evolve, I think we need to be offering more than timetables. I want to return to having photos within each thread - and I'm already getting in contact with some Flickr members to see if we can link in appropriate sets and/or having images hosted with their expressed permission. Following a suggestion, I'm very keen to include a company history on each company and I hope that this would be of interest to some visitors. As well as a generic company history, I can see merit in the idea of providing a brief background on each service listed, i.e. "what the service was replaced by, is it still running today? If so what route does it now take?" If this becomes too crowded, could we offer an insight into specific groups of services in towns/cities instead?

In the Go North East, Stagecoach and Redby threads, I've trialled having a logo image at the top of the post to improve the overall look and feel of the thread. I'm quite happy with how these look and I'll be rolling these out to the other threads in due course.

These changes will be gradually on-going over the next few weeks and will also involve some re-organising of content within some threads to improve navigation and appearance. Unlike the overhaul currently undergoing in the Local Bus Scene area of North East Buses which will be unveiled once complete, changes here will be made on an on-going basis. I don't envisage this work causing any disruption to content here within The Bygone Era.

I hope these changes will be positive for The Bygone Era. I believe they're necessary to grow the section and improve the offer for visitors. If you have any suggestions or any other changes you'd like to suggest, drop them in a reply below or PM me! I'm really keen to hear your thoughts Big Grin

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

Messages In This Thread
What's new? - by NEB Admin Team - 10 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 10 Mar 2013, 10:00 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 13 Mar 2013, 9:30 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 13 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 15 Mar 2013, 9:15 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 21 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 23 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 24 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 27 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm
RE: News and Updates - by NEB Admin Team - 28 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm