Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Events (Elsewhere) Showbus

Showbus

Showbus

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Malarkey

03 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm #41
Annyone planning on going to Showbus this year?
Malarkey
03 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm #41

Annyone planning on going to Showbus this year?

Jimmi

03 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm #42
(03 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm)Malarkey Annyone planning on going to Showbus this year?

I would like to but unsure if it will be possible to do so, atm.
Jimmi
03 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm #42

(03 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm)Malarkey Annyone planning on going to Showbus this year?

I would like to but unsure if it will be possible to do so, atm.

Malarkey

03 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm #43
(03 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm)Jimmi I would like to but unsure if it will be possible to do so, atm.

If I end up going by myself it looks like going into Nottingham is the best option and catching the Skylink to Donnington Park, costs £10.10 for an anytime return from Nottingham.
Malarkey
03 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm #43

(03 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm)Jimmi I would like to but unsure if it will be possible to do so, atm.

If I end up going by myself it looks like going into Nottingham is the best option and catching the Skylink to Donnington Park, costs £10.10 for an anytime return from Nottingham.

Adrian

03 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm #44
(03 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm)Malarkey If I end up going by myself it looks like going into Nottingham is the best option and catching the Skylink to Donnington Park, costs £10.10 for an anytime return from Nottingham.

If you're travelling down by public transport, you'd be best off going down on the Saturday and finding some accomodation.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm #44

(03 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm)Malarkey If I end up going by myself it looks like going into Nottingham is the best option and catching the Skylink to Donnington Park, costs £10.10 for an anytime return from Nottingham.

If you're travelling down by public transport, you'd be best off going down on the Saturday and finding some accomodation.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Malarkey

03 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm #45
(03 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm)Adrian If you're travelling down by public transport, you'd be best off going down on the Saturday and finding some accomodation.

That's what I was thinking of possibly doing, unless someone locally was taking down a bus for the event.
Malarkey
03 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm #45

(03 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm)Adrian If you're travelling down by public transport, you'd be best off going down on the Saturday and finding some accomodation.

That's what I was thinking of possibly doing, unless someone locally was taking down a bus for the event.

04 Jul 2017, 9:44 am #46
I echo what Adrian says, as that's exactly what I'll be doing  Big Grin

A-line took their E200MMC demo last year, and were ferrying people down, however as I live quite far from Tyne and Wear, I would not have been able to get to the pickup until a couple of hours after departure lol
Edited 04 Jul 2017, 9:45 am by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
04 Jul 2017, 9:44 am #46

I echo what Adrian says, as that's exactly what I'll be doing  Big Grin

A-line took their E200MMC demo last year, and were ferrying people down, however as I live quite far from Tyne and Wear, I would not have been able to get to the pickup until a couple of hours after departure lol

Tamesider

05 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm #47

I considered this last year, but the cheapest accomodation I could find either at EMA or in/near Nottingham, was nearly £70!
Tamesider
05 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm #47

I considered this last year, but the cheapest accomodation I could find either at EMA or in/near Nottingham, was nearly £70!

14 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm #48
Its something that we do plan to do. But not this year and not with A National 2.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
14 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm #48

Its something that we do plan to do. But not this year and not with A National 2.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

Tamesider

14 Jul 2017, 7:54 pm #49
(05 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm)Tamesider I considered this last year, but the cheapest accomodation I could find either at EMA or in/near Nottingham, was nearly £70!

Whilst Donnington is a considerable improvement geographically on Duxford - bearing in mind that virtually all Transport events (incl Air) in this country seem to take place in the South - it does unfortunately share one problem. It is held near a University city on the very weekend when all the Students are moving in for the new Academic Year. Hence, the high accommodation costs (and likely little sleep due to Freshers' partying).
Tamesider
14 Jul 2017, 7:54 pm #49

(05 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm)Tamesider I considered this last year, but the cheapest accomodation I could find either at EMA or in/near Nottingham, was nearly £70!

Whilst Donnington is a considerable improvement geographically on Duxford - bearing in mind that virtually all Transport events (incl Air) in this country seem to take place in the South - it does unfortunately share one problem. It is held near a University city on the very weekend when all the Students are moving in for the new Academic Year. Hence, the high accommodation costs (and likely little sleep due to Freshers' partying).

tyresmoke

14 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm #50
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at EMA last year and will probably do the same this year. I did a Derbyshire Wayfarer on the Saturday starting in Sheffield and visited Bakewell, Matlock, Alfreton, Derby & Burton. Always plenty of places you can go, Trent Barron's Zigzag I think is only £6 for the day for example.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
14 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm #50

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at EMA last year and will probably do the same this year. I did a Derbyshire Wayfarer on the Saturday starting in Sheffield and visited Bakewell, Matlock, Alfreton, Derby & Burton. Always plenty of places you can go, Trent Barron's Zigzag I think is only £6 for the day for example.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Malarkey

23 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm #51
Having some further thoughts on Showbus, would anyone be interested in going if a Coach was hired for the day from JH Coaches for example.
Malarkey
23 Jul 2017, 8:18 pm #51

Having some further thoughts on Showbus, would anyone be interested in going if a Coach was hired for the day from JH Coaches for example.

Tamesider

24 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm #52
(14 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm)tyresmoke I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at EMA last year and will probably do the same this year. I did a Derbyshire Wayfarer on the Saturday starting in Sheffield and visited Bakewell, Matlock, Alfreton, Derby & Burton. Always plenty of places you can go, Trent Barron's Zigzag I think is only £6 for the day for example.

Currently showing as £86.45 for one person! So, don't know what it will be by w/c 21 August - the earliest I could get medical clearance
Tamesider
24 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm #52

(14 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm)tyresmoke I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at EMA last year and will probably do the same this year. I did a Derbyshire Wayfarer on the Saturday starting in Sheffield and visited Bakewell, Matlock, Alfreton, Derby & Burton. Always plenty of places you can go, Trent Barron's Zigzag I think is only £6 for the day for example.

Currently showing as £86.45 for one person! So, don't know what it will be by w/c 21 August - the earliest I could get medical clearance

James101

21 Aug 2017, 7:48 am #53
If anyone is still struggling with transport to Showbus it may be worth considering Vamooz (Transdev App). They are running trips from Harrogate, Leeds, Meadowhall, Burnley & Manchester. For most people it would mean staying overnight in one of the towns listed, though that would still probably be cheaper than staying in the vicinity of EMA.
James101
21 Aug 2017, 7:48 am #53

If anyone is still struggling with transport to Showbus it may be worth considering Vamooz (Transdev App). They are running trips from Harrogate, Leeds, Meadowhall, Burnley & Manchester. For most people it would mean staying overnight in one of the towns listed, though that would still probably be cheaper than staying in the vicinity of EMA.

HankDickins101

Unregistered

21 Aug 2017, 10:56 am #54
(21 Aug 2017, 7:48 am)James101 If anyone is still struggling with transport to Showbus it may be worth considering Vamooz (Transdev App). They are running trips from Harrogate, Leeds, Meadowhall, Burnley & Manchester. For most people it would mean staying overnight in one of the towns listed, though that would still probably be cheaper than staying in the vicinity of EMA.

Thanks for letting us know, James. I'm still on the fence (problem with transport...), will check out Vamooz. I've got no problem with staying overnight tho.
HankDickins101
21 Aug 2017, 10:56 am #54

(21 Aug 2017, 7:48 am)James101 If anyone is still struggling with transport to Showbus it may be worth considering Vamooz (Transdev App). They are running trips from Harrogate, Leeds, Meadowhall, Burnley & Manchester. For most people it would mean staying overnight in one of the towns listed, though that would still probably be cheaper than staying in the vicinity of EMA.

Thanks for letting us know, James. I'm still on the fence (problem with transport...), will check out Vamooz. I've got no problem with staying overnight tho.

Tamesider

21 Aug 2017, 3:32 pm #55

You'll struggle to get cheaper accommodation anywhere near Manchester. Apart from presumably being the start of Freshers week for the biggest University city in Europe (in terms of Student numbers), Man U****d are at home.
Tamesider
21 Aug 2017, 3:32 pm #55

You'll struggle to get cheaper accommodation anywhere near Manchester. Apart from presumably being the start of Freshers week for the biggest University city in Europe (in terms of Student numbers), Man U****d are at home.

Tamesider

11 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm #56

I've run out of all options - above not feasible for me, as the pick up/drop off is the "wrong side" of M'cr. Only an issue because I have anaemia and its early Sunday morning (no MetroShuttles). A leisurely wander around a Showground is one thing, but a dash from Piccadilly to Deansgate from the first bus of the day is another entirely. And that's before we consider the weather.

From those who have been to Showbus (especially at Donington Park), how late could you arrive without it defeating the object of going? If I catch the first train from Stockport, I have a 10 minute connection in Sheffield and a 9 minute connection in Derby to the Skyline bus to get me there by c.1115. To me, those are tight connections, as off-peak trains always seem to run late. Can't see Sunday being any different, though I don't think I've ever been on a train on a Sunday!
Tamesider
11 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm #56

I've run out of all options - above not feasible for me, as the pick up/drop off is the "wrong side" of M'cr. Only an issue because I have anaemia and its early Sunday morning (no MetroShuttles). A leisurely wander around a Showground is one thing, but a dash from Piccadilly to Deansgate from the first bus of the day is another entirely. And that's before we consider the weather.

From those who have been to Showbus (especially at Donington Park), how late could you arrive without it defeating the object of going? If I catch the first train from Stockport, I have a 10 minute connection in Sheffield and a 9 minute connection in Derby to the Skyline bus to get me there by c.1115. To me, those are tight connections, as off-peak trains always seem to run late. Can't see Sunday being any different, though I don't think I've ever been on a train on a Sunday!

James101

11 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm #57
(11 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm)Tamesider I've run out of all options - above not feasible for me, as the pick up/drop off is the "wrong side" of M'cr. Only an issue because I have anaemia and its early Sunday morning (no MetroShuttles). A leisurely wander around a Showground is one thing, but a dash from Piccadilly to Deansgate from the first bus of the day is another entirely. And that's before we consider the weather.

It's a shame it's becoming inaccessible for you. It would be useful if the Showbus website had a list of coach trips with vacant seats and their origin. Even if there wasn't a coach or preserved vehicle going from your area it could open up options e.g. train to Stoke-on-Trent and meet a coach trip there.

I arrived around 11am last year which seemed to be the peak time for vehicles arriving, with most parked up by mid-day. I had committements later in the day so was off again by 3pm, but I felt I had seen everything there was to see by this time. I may have needed longer if I was more into my photography or wanted to sample the shuttles.
James101
11 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm #57

(11 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm)Tamesider I've run out of all options - above not feasible for me, as the pick up/drop off is the "wrong side" of M'cr. Only an issue because I have anaemia and its early Sunday morning (no MetroShuttles). A leisurely wander around a Showground is one thing, but a dash from Piccadilly to Deansgate from the first bus of the day is another entirely. And that's before we consider the weather.

It's a shame it's becoming inaccessible for you. It would be useful if the Showbus website had a list of coach trips with vacant seats and their origin. Even if there wasn't a coach or preserved vehicle going from your area it could open up options e.g. train to Stoke-on-Trent and meet a coach trip there.

I arrived around 11am last year which seemed to be the peak time for vehicles arriving, with most parked up by mid-day. I had committements later in the day so was off again by 3pm, but I felt I had seen everything there was to see by this time. I may have needed longer if I was more into my photography or wanted to sample the shuttles.

Jimmi

11 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm #58
I unfortunately can't do it again owing to me not being able to drive and as far as everyone else is concerned, I live in the arse end of nowhere, meaning no-one is picking up even close to where I live (Newton Aycliffe) and being a Sunday there is no real public transport options to get there either. Hopefully next year (which I've said the last two years as well)

At least Maxïmo Park are doing a gig in Middlesbrough that night to keep me amused.

Still debating with whether to learn to drive or just continue with the way I've been doing things now, using public transport to get everywhere but maybe do more hotel stays for further afield trips.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Jimmi
11 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm #58

I unfortunately can't do it again owing to me not being able to drive and as far as everyone else is concerned, I live in the arse end of nowhere, meaning no-one is picking up even close to where I live (Newton Aycliffe) and being a Sunday there is no real public transport options to get there either. Hopefully next year (which I've said the last two years as well)

At least Maxïmo Park are doing a gig in Middlesbrough that night to keep me amused.

Still debating with whether to learn to drive or just continue with the way I've been doing things now, using public transport to get everywhere but maybe do more hotel stays for further afield trips.

Tamesider

11 Sep 2017, 4:19 pm #59
(11 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm)James101  

Thanks, James. Looking at the Showbus site it is noticable that absolutely no trips are organised from the GM area - Transdev's Vamooz is the only one vaguely fitting the bill. I would think anything from Stoke or other stations down the line from Stockport (or even Man Piccadilly) would be reached too late to safely meet an excursion close by. OTOH, your timings are quite encouraging, so IF the weather is half decent, maybe I'll risk it.
Tamesider
11 Sep 2017, 4:19 pm #59

(11 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm)James101  

Thanks, James. Looking at the Showbus site it is noticable that absolutely no trips are organised from the GM area - Transdev's Vamooz is the only one vaguely fitting the bill. I would think anything from Stoke or other stations down the line from Stockport (or even Man Piccadilly) would be reached too late to safely meet an excursion close by. OTOH, your timings are quite encouraging, so IF the weather is half decent, maybe I'll risk it.

Tamesider

20 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm #60
(11 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm)Jimmi I unfortunately can't do it again owing to me not being able to drive and as far as everyone else is concerned, I live in the arse end of nowhere, meaning no-one is picking up even close to where I live (Newton Aycliffe) and being a Sunday there is no real public transport options to get there either. Hopefully next year (which I've said the last two years as well)

How times have changed! I recall a few years after De-reg, I castigated a friend and colleague for driving on bus spotting trips. It seemed to almost be treachery in those days - bearing in mind both of us live/d in suburban Greater Manchester. However, in all honesty, unless you live in Greater London, carless-ness is no longer a "sustainable" lifestyle choice. I'm guessing from you raising the question, you are in your late teens or early 20s. If you are expecting to leave home to go to University, you will probably be both short of cash to take up driving, and served by decent bus services even compared to the rest of the city/town you are studying in. However, if you are not going into FE - or indeed have graduated, then that's a different story.

FTR (and to partly illustrate the point), I didn't go to Showbus and from a report back from the self same ex-colleague mentioned above, it was probably a good decision. He did drive and made a weekend of it, partly because he was also visiting relatives in the East Midlands. He actually stayed overnight at a Premier Inn (not well served by public transport) and was happy that it only cost £65pppn. He also reported exhibits down compared to previous years, but as he perceived this was largely the London contingent, that wouldn't have bothered me. Following a report of a mini-tornado or similar near Derby on the Sunday evening news, he confirmed there was a downpour during the late afternoon, albeit it was shortlived, and he was fortuitously near shelter at the time. However, it heralded a general deterioration in light conditions, and he encountered more rain on his drive back - though that wasn't an issue inside his car!
Seperate to that, there were general reports of not only engineering works affecting both Sheffield and Derby Stations (my two - tight - connecting points) but also that one of the engineering units derailed causing more serious disruption, which hadn't recovered by late afternoon!
Tamesider
20 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm #60

(11 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm)Jimmi I unfortunately can't do it again owing to me not being able to drive and as far as everyone else is concerned, I live in the arse end of nowhere, meaning no-one is picking up even close to where I live (Newton Aycliffe) and being a Sunday there is no real public transport options to get there either. Hopefully next year (which I've said the last two years as well)

How times have changed! I recall a few years after De-reg, I castigated a friend and colleague for driving on bus spotting trips. It seemed to almost be treachery in those days - bearing in mind both of us live/d in suburban Greater Manchester. However, in all honesty, unless you live in Greater London, carless-ness is no longer a "sustainable" lifestyle choice. I'm guessing from you raising the question, you are in your late teens or early 20s. If you are expecting to leave home to go to University, you will probably be both short of cash to take up driving, and served by decent bus services even compared to the rest of the city/town you are studying in. However, if you are not going into FE - or indeed have graduated, then that's a different story.

FTR (and to partly illustrate the point), I didn't go to Showbus and from a report back from the self same ex-colleague mentioned above, it was probably a good decision. He did drive and made a weekend of it, partly because he was also visiting relatives in the East Midlands. He actually stayed overnight at a Premier Inn (not well served by public transport) and was happy that it only cost £65pppn. He also reported exhibits down compared to previous years, but as he perceived this was largely the London contingent, that wouldn't have bothered me. Following a report of a mini-tornado or similar near Derby on the Sunday evening news, he confirmed there was a downpour during the late afternoon, albeit it was shortlived, and he was fortuitously near shelter at the time. However, it heralded a general deterioration in light conditions, and he encountered more rain on his drive back - though that wasn't an issue inside his car!
Seperate to that, there were general reports of not only engineering works affecting both Sheffield and Derby Stations (my two - tight - connecting points) but also that one of the engineering units derailed causing more serious disruption, which hadn't recovered by late afternoon!

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average