Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus specification, interior and on-board features

Bus specification, interior and on-board features

Bus specification, interior and on-board features

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
Andreos1

29 May 2016, 12:37 pm #81
(29 May 2016, 10:34 am)Adrian I don't think buses need to have bins. People just need to be civilised, and take their litter with them. It's rare that you're going somewhere that doesn't have a bin.

New buses don't have any luggage space at all. It's as simple as that. The one tiny place for them on a Streetlite has the fire extinguisher and Metro newspaper rack there, so I'd argue you couldn't put anything there for fear of obstructing the fire extinguisher. Geminis are no better mind, with a tiny bit of storage space at the front. It's as if we were spoilt with buses like Nationals and the Olympians... you could literally store suitcase upon suitcase in them.

It's an issue that hasn't gone away, so I'm not sure why manufacturers no longer include luggage space? Passengers get frustrated (and I saw quite a bit of this in Brighton), that other passengers have bags with them, and on the seat next to them. How can you channel behaviour if you're removing the solutions?

I think the design of a National lent itself to the huge amount of storage space though. The height of the saloon floor and associated void above the wheel was perfect for storage.

Not sure it has spoiled passengers expectations though.
I think the quest for bums on seats and the impact of DDA has ensured storage is maybe further down the line of demands. How many more seats can you get in a Merc (bearing in mind the height of the luggage rack), at the expense of another square metre of storage?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 May 2016, 12:37 pm #81

(29 May 2016, 10:34 am)Adrian I don't think buses need to have bins. People just need to be civilised, and take their litter with them. It's rare that you're going somewhere that doesn't have a bin.

New buses don't have any luggage space at all. It's as simple as that. The one tiny place for them on a Streetlite has the fire extinguisher and Metro newspaper rack there, so I'd argue you couldn't put anything there for fear of obstructing the fire extinguisher. Geminis are no better mind, with a tiny bit of storage space at the front. It's as if we were spoilt with buses like Nationals and the Olympians... you could literally store suitcase upon suitcase in them.

It's an issue that hasn't gone away, so I'm not sure why manufacturers no longer include luggage space? Passengers get frustrated (and I saw quite a bit of this in Brighton), that other passengers have bags with them, and on the seat next to them. How can you channel behaviour if you're removing the solutions?

I think the design of a National lent itself to the huge amount of storage space though. The height of the saloon floor and associated void above the wheel was perfect for storage.

Not sure it has spoiled passengers expectations though.
I think the quest for bums on seats and the impact of DDA has ensured storage is maybe further down the line of demands. How many more seats can you get in a Merc (bearing in mind the height of the luggage rack), at the expense of another square metre of storage?

BusLoverMum

29 May 2016, 9:06 pm #82
(29 May 2016, 10:55 am)Adrian I mean more luggage space is going to equal to less seats, but if seats are being used as luggage space, then you've got that problem anyway.

The other alternative is to have what Lothian have on their deckers - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lothian_bu...251428/in/

They would just fill up with kids like the ones above the front wheels on pulsars do!
BusLoverMum
29 May 2016, 9:06 pm #82

(29 May 2016, 10:55 am)Adrian I mean more luggage space is going to equal to less seats, but if seats are being used as luggage space, then you've got that problem anyway.

The other alternative is to have what Lothian have on their deckers - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lothian_bu...251428/in/

They would just fill up with kids like the ones above the front wheels on pulsars do!

Adrian

29 May 2016, 9:37 pm #83
(29 May 2016, 9:06 pm)BusLoverMum They would just fill up with kids like the ones above the front wheels on pulsars do!

That's true. I remember when the Solars first came into service with GNE, and we'd always sit in the luggage bays.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 May 2016, 9:37 pm #83

(29 May 2016, 9:06 pm)BusLoverMum They would just fill up with kids like the ones above the front wheels on pulsars do!

That's true. I remember when the Solars first came into service with GNE, and we'd always sit in the luggage bays.

James101

14 Jun 2016, 7:24 pm #84
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45168281@N05/27515749111/

I think Stagecoach may be the winner for best new seating. It's been confirmed they've switched to e-leather, and while I have seen the distinctive stagecoach-style seat clad in e-leather, it appears they've also switched to full height seating too.

While they may look a bit garish, I suspect they win on the comfort front vs GNE and Arriva. I look forward to this spec arriving in the North East.

Also note the reversed seating at the rear on the upper deck, cue gansta schoolchildren. Just when you though it was safe to go back upstairs...
Edited 14 Jun 2016, 7:25 pm by James101.
James101
14 Jun 2016, 7:24 pm #84

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45168281@N05/27515749111/

I think Stagecoach may be the winner for best new seating. It's been confirmed they've switched to e-leather, and while I have seen the distinctive stagecoach-style seat clad in e-leather, it appears they've also switched to full height seating too.

While they may look a bit garish, I suspect they win on the comfort front vs GNE and Arriva. I look forward to this spec arriving in the North East.

Also note the reversed seating at the rear on the upper deck, cue gansta schoolchildren. Just when you though it was safe to go back upstairs...

Andreos1

16 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm #85
For 10 #NEBpoints, can anyone tell me the correct spelling that should be used on the NSA screen on the 4?
Is it:
a) North View Terrace - The Granaries?
or
b) North View Terrace - The Graneries?

The incorrect answer will be uploaded later on.
Edited 16 Jun 2016, 2:05 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
16 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm #85

For 10 #NEBpoints, can anyone tell me the correct spelling that should be used on the NSA screen on the 4?
Is it:
or

BusLoverMum

16 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm #86
(16 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm)Andreos1 For 10 #NEBpoints, can anyone tell me the correct spelling that should be used on the NSA screen on the 4?
Is it:
or

Is that the same Granaries that the Prince Bishops stops at? I heard mutterings from another passenger about the spelling of that, once.
BusLoverMum
16 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm #86

(16 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm)Andreos1 For 10 #NEBpoints, can anyone tell me the correct spelling that should be used on the NSA screen on the 4?
Is it:
or

Is that the same Granaries that the Prince Bishops stops at? I heard mutterings from another passenger about the spelling of that, once.

Andreos1

16 Jun 2016, 10:17 pm #87
(16 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm)BusLoverMum Is that the same Granaries that the Prince Bishops stops at? I heard mutterings from another passenger about the spelling of that, once.

Aye, the same stop.
I haven't sampled the purple Streetlites yet, so haven't noticed it on there.
Saying that, I have never noticed it on the 4 in the past - despite using the Mercs on a too regular basis.

Andreos1
16 Jun 2016, 10:17 pm #87

(16 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm)BusLoverMum Is that the same Granaries that the Prince Bishops stops at? I heard mutterings from another passenger about the spelling of that, once.

Aye, the same stop.
I haven't sampled the purple Streetlites yet, so haven't noticed it on there.
Saying that, I have never noticed it on the 4 in the past - despite using the Mercs on a too regular basis.

Andreos1

17 Apr 2017, 5:54 pm #88
https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/videos...292266539/

Probably the most appropriate thread.

How to clean a filthy bus seat!

Andreos1
17 Apr 2017, 5:54 pm #88

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/videos...292266539/

Probably the most appropriate thread.

How to clean a filthy bus seat!

Andreos1

30 Aug 2017, 10:01 pm #89
I had my first ride on a refurbished Merc today. Eager to give it a go, I snubbed a Solar (which would have got me to my destination quicker), in favour of the longer trip on the Merc.

I was impressed as I first boarded.
It had more about it than those Streetlites. The embossed logos looked classy.

However, my first impressions didn't last long.
I sat down and noticed that the logos were becoming frayed. Stitching was coming away too.
Finding a seat proved trickier than I thought. Not because of the number of passengers, but because of the sticky/greasy finger marks glinting in the early evening sun.
I have no idea what the cleaning arrangement is for these seats, but after the money spent on them, I would hope it was an efficient clean.
The sausage roll flavoured finger marks looked fresh and I didnt want them transferring to my clothes, so I chose the least affected seat.

After the bus pulled away, I also noticed the lack of padding on the seats. Im not sure if mine had been missed out at the factory or if it was intentionally thin.
The seats may look good (when clean and when the logos aren't frayed), but they're not comfy. 

I didn't have a usb charger with me to test out the plugs, so can't comment on the effectiveness of them.

The next stop/bus stopping set-up looked like an after thought too.
The positioning, font and different colour LED's just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. It was almost like the street sign clutter that we hear about every so often.

Having seen fares increase and justifications of the increases from GNE staff, pointing towards these refurbs, I would have hoped to have enjoyed a far better experience.
Edited 30 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
30 Aug 2017, 10:01 pm #89

I had my first ride on a refurbished Merc today. Eager to give it a go, I snubbed a Solar (which would have got me to my destination quicker), in favour of the longer trip on the Merc.

I sat down and noticed that the logos were becoming frayed. Stitching was coming away too.
Finding a seat proved trickier than I thought. Not because of the number of passengers, but because of the sticky/greasy finger marks glinting in the early evening sun.
I have no idea what the cleaning arrangement is for these seats, but after the money spent on them, I would hope it was an efficient clean.
The sausage roll flavoured finger marks looked fresh and I didnt want them transferring to my clothes, so I chose the least affected seat.

After the bus pulled away, I also noticed the lack of padding on the seats. Im not sure if mine had been missed out at the factory or if it was intentionally thin.
The seats may look good (when clean and when the logos aren't frayed), but they're not comfy. 

I didn't have a usb charger with me to test out the plugs, so can't comment on the effectiveness of them.

The positioning, font and different colour LED's just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. It was almost like the street sign clutter that we hear about every so often.

Having seen fares increase and justifications of the increases from GNE staff, pointing towards these refurbs, I would have hoped to have enjoyed a far better experience.

BusLoverMum

31 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm #90
(30 Aug 2017, 10:01 pm)Andreos1 I had my first ride on a refurbished Merc today. Eager to give it a go, I snubbed a Solar (which would have got me to my destination quicker), in favour of the longer trip on the Merc.

At least you can see the muck. Imagine how much we must end up sitting on, completely unawares, on fabric seats.
BusLoverMum
31 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm #90

(30 Aug 2017, 10:01 pm)Andreos1 I had my first ride on a refurbished Merc today. Eager to give it a go, I snubbed a Solar (which would have got me to my destination quicker), in favour of the longer trip on the Merc.

At least you can see the muck. Imagine how much we must end up sitting on, completely unawares, on fabric seats.

Andreos1

01 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm #91
(31 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm)BusLoverMum At least you can see the muck. Imagine how much we must end up sitting on, completely unawares, on fabric seats.

I'd like to think the fabric seats were cleaned like in the link a few posys above. In reality, those seats probably absorbed the sausage roll and monster munch grease.

Andreos1
01 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm #91

(31 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm)BusLoverMum At least you can see the muck. Imagine how much we must end up sitting on, completely unawares, on fabric seats.

I'd like to think the fabric seats were cleaned like in the link a few posys above. In reality, those seats probably absorbed the sausage roll and monster munch grease.

Adrian

02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm #92
(01 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm)Andreos1 I'd like to think the fabric seats were cleaned like in the link a few posys above. In reality, those seats probably absorbed the sausage roll and monster munch grease.

Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

Adrian
02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm #92

(01 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm)Andreos1 I'd like to think the fabric seats were cleaned like in the link a few posys above. In reality, those seats probably absorbed the sausage roll and monster munch grease.

Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

Jimmi

02 Sep 2017, 9:24 pm #93
(02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm)Adrian Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

Both seem to regularly have dirt/dust around the edges of the seats, especially where the seat back and the bit you sit on meet
Jimmi
02 Sep 2017, 9:24 pm #93

(02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm)Adrian Aye, they will have. The eLeather is meant to benefit operators in terms of cleaning costs, as you can pretty much damp-wipe them clean, after day to day use. That being said, my experience with both GNE and Arriva, is that they don't seem to bother cleaning them that often. I have used both operators on the first bus of the morning on several occasions, and I've found the the remains of spilled drink and god knows whatever else on them.

Both seem to regularly have dirt/dust around the edges of the seats, especially where the seat back and the bit you sit on meet

RobinHood

03 Sep 2017, 11:46 am #94
I think both Arriva and GNE outsource their cleaning to external contractors.

Arriva have been though 4 different contractors in this last 3 years. Suggests none of them have met the required standard.
RobinHood
03 Sep 2017, 11:46 am #94

I think both Arriva and GNE outsource their cleaning to external contractors.

Arriva have been though 4 different contractors in this last 3 years. Suggests none of them have met the required standard.

Andreos1

03 Sep 2017, 11:57 am #95

I was thinking about the leather seats on aircraft.
Usually wiped clean prior to boarding, for each trip the aircraft does. No greasy finger prints and a pleasant environment.
Now obviously it isnt possible to do this every time a bus gets a new passenger, but it would be nice to think that they were cleaned to an extent.

Andreos1
03 Sep 2017, 11:57 am #95

I was thinking about the leather seats on aircraft.
Usually wiped clean prior to boarding, for each trip the aircraft does. No greasy finger prints and a pleasant environment.
Now obviously it isnt possible to do this every time a bus gets a new passenger, but it would be nice to think that they were cleaned to an extent.

Ambassador

03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm #96
(03 Sep 2017, 11:57 am)VAndreos1 I was thinking about the leather seats on aircraft.

The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that only gets a cursory brush and excess litter picked up.

Whilst it's totally unreasonable to expect operators to have a perfect bus, there's no excuse for the state some if the 21s are in first thing on a morning out if Chester. The Omnidekkas are shabby enough without coke stains and rubbish strewn all over the place.
Edited 03 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm by Ambassador.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm #96

(03 Sep 2017, 11:57 am)VAndreos1 I was thinking about the leather seats on aircraft.

The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that only gets a cursory brush and excess litter picked up.

Whilst it's totally unreasonable to expect operators to have a perfect bus, there's no excuse for the state some if the 21s are in first thing on a morning out if Chester. The Omnidekkas are shabby enough without coke stains and rubbish strewn all over the place.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Michael

03 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm #97
(03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm)Ambassador The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that. On,y gets a cursory brush and excess letter picked up.

Seen cleaners go on the 20/20A and 56 a few times a while back but haven't seen that for a while.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm #97

(03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm)Ambassador The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that. On,y gets a cursory brush and excess letter picked up.

Seen cleaners go on the 20/20A and 56 a few times a while back but haven't seen that for a while.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

05 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm #98
(03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm)Ambassador The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that only gets a cursory brush and excess litter picked up.

There's no excuse at all for buses to be sent out dirty from the previous day.

However, if operators and in this instance GNE, are that keen to promote their vehicles and increase passenger numbers (that may or may not have already reached their post-2006 service revision plateau), then they need to keep them tidy. 
It seems totally pointless to have refurbished the interiors (and raised our fares to pay for it), if they're going to be left in a state.

The new livery and subsequent conversation regarding the X9/10 was interesting to read when bearing this thread in mind.

How the operators ensure vehicles are cleaned is up to them to decide. I would suggest that ever increasing trend to increase layover time, gives the perfect opportunity for some sort of cleanse.
It needs to be effective and not hit the customer in the pocket, whatever the method.

Andreos1
05 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm #98

(03 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm)Ambassador The only bus I've ever seen get cleaned at a terminus whilst in service is the X66, even that only gets a cursory brush and excess litter picked up.

There's no excuse at all for buses to be sent out dirty from the previous day.

However, if operators and in this instance GNE, are that keen to promote their vehicles and increase passenger numbers (that may or may not have already reached their post-2006 service revision plateau), then they need to keep them tidy. 
It seems totally pointless to have refurbished the interiors (and raised our fares to pay for it), if they're going to be left in a state.

The new livery and subsequent conversation regarding the X9/10 was interesting to read when bearing this thread in mind.

How the operators ensure vehicles are cleaned is up to them to decide. I would suggest that ever increasing trend to increase layover time, gives the perfect opportunity for some sort of cleanse.
It needs to be effective and not hit the customer in the pocket, whatever the method.

James101

06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am #99
(05 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm)Andreos1 There's no excuse at all for buses to be sent out dirty from the previous day.

Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.
James101
06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am #99

(05 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm)Andreos1 There's no excuse at all for buses to be sent out dirty from the previous day.

Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Sep 2017, 7:43 am #100
(06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am)James101 Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.

Unsure if the cleaner is still there now, but the last time I saw one was much more recent than 2010. Probably last year, I saw one sweeping out a Red Arrows bus during layover.

The one at Gateshead Interchange who quickly sweeps out the X66 buses is still there.
Dan
06 Sep 2017, 7:43 am #100

(06 Sep 2017, 7:14 am)James101 Was there not once upon a time (around 2010?) a GNE cleaner based in Eldon Square who would give the Gold Standard buses on layover a quick once-over? Time for this role to make a comeback? Even on a short layover they could run a lobby brush round an angel in the time it takes to change destination display and load new ticket journey info.

Unsure if the cleaner is still there now, but the last time I saw one was much more recent than 2010. Probably last year, I saw one sweeping out a Red Arrows bus during layover.

The one at Gateshead Interchange who quickly sweeps out the X66 buses is still there.

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average