Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89): Previous 150 51 5289 Next
BusLoverMum

11 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm #1,001
(11 Oct 2017, 9:15 pm)Andreos1 I did wonder that myself.
Must admit to being keen on the budget utilised for these cheaper tickets and wondering how it will benefit the taxpayer more than it does the operator (I know... like a broken record...)

hopefuly, people will spend more money in Darlo - which doesn't benefit local taxes at all, apart from keeping busineses afloat, even if all the money spent is on M&S sarnies eaten on the steps. Angel 

What would really help shoppers of all ages is putting some blinking soap in the loos in the Dolphin centre.
BusLoverMum
11 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm #1,001

(11 Oct 2017, 9:15 pm)Andreos1 I did wonder that myself.
Must admit to being keen on the budget utilised for these cheaper tickets and wondering how it will benefit the taxpayer more than it does the operator (I know... like a broken record...)

hopefuly, people will spend more money in Darlo - which doesn't benefit local taxes at all, apart from keeping busineses afloat, even if all the money spent is on M&S sarnies eaten on the steps. Angel 

What would really help shoppers of all ages is putting some blinking soap in the loos in the Dolphin centre.

Kuyoyo

13 Oct 2017, 7:16 am #1,002
Arriva are rolling out the Twilight Fare to Stockton's 'Frequenta' 7a. All journeys after 7pm will be £1.
Kuyoyo
13 Oct 2017, 7:16 am #1,002

Arriva are rolling out the Twilight Fare to Stockton's 'Frequenta' 7a. All journeys after 7pm will be £1.

Andreos1

13 Oct 2017, 9:38 am #1,003
(11 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm)BusLoverMum hopefuly, people will spend more money in Darlo - which doesn't benefit local taxes at all, apart from keeping busineses afloat, even if all the money spent is on M&S sarnies eaten on the steps. Angel 

It's win-win for ANE if their discounts are covered in full by the council.
Assuming non-regular or 1st time punters are happy with the service, they have the potential to become regular passengers. Paying full-whack going forward.

I would hazard a guess that those living in the areas covered by the ticket are already aware of what Darlo has (or hasn't) to offer them.
Edited 13 Oct 2017, 9:39 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Oct 2017, 9:38 am #1,003

(11 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm)BusLoverMum hopefuly, people will spend more money in Darlo - which doesn't benefit local taxes at all, apart from keeping busineses afloat, even if all the money spent is on M&S sarnies eaten on the steps. Angel 

It's win-win for ANE if their discounts are covered in full by the council.
Assuming non-regular or 1st time punters are happy with the service, they have the potential to become regular passengers. Paying full-whack going forward.

I would hazard a guess that those living in the areas covered by the ticket are already aware of what Darlo has (or hasn't) to offer them.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

RobinHood

13 Oct 2017, 11:41 am #1,004
*Apparently* - Arriva are also extending the Durham District fare zone from the end of the month.

It has been suggested that it will be extended south to Rushyford & Sedgefield and to the East to cover as far as Wheatley Hill.
RobinHood
13 Oct 2017, 11:41 am #1,004

*Apparently* - Arriva are also extending the Durham District fare zone from the end of the month.

It has been suggested that it will be extended south to Rushyford & Sedgefield and to the East to cover as far as Wheatley Hill.

BusLoverMum

13 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm #1,005
(13 Oct 2017, 11:41 am)RobinHood *Apparently* - Arriva are also extending the Durham District fare zone from the end of the month.

That'll save me some pennies, if we haven't moved by then, though I have noticed that the price differential between the Durham District and Durham county tickets has closed significantly, over the past few years.
BusLoverMum
13 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm #1,005

(13 Oct 2017, 11:41 am)RobinHood *Apparently* - Arriva are also extending the Durham District fare zone from the end of the month.

That'll save me some pennies, if we haven't moved by then, though I have noticed that the price differential between the Durham District and Durham county tickets has closed significantly, over the past few years.

2bagstew

13 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm #1,006

Wheatley Hill should be with in the East Durham Saver as this would benefit most people. As Peterlee is where most people do there shopping..
2bagstew
13 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm #1,006

Wheatley Hill should be with in the East Durham Saver as this would benefit most people. As Peterlee is where most people do there shopping..

BusLoverMum

13 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm #1,007
(13 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm)2bagstew Wheatley Hill should be with in the East Durham Saver as this would benefit most people. As Peterlee is where most people do there shopping..

Aye, but a lot of Thornley folk tend to go to Durham because it's a lot quicker. (And smells nicer, once you get away from the bus station!) I know a few people who go out and make a day of it.
BusLoverMum
13 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm #1,007

(13 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm)2bagstew Wheatley Hill should be with in the East Durham Saver as this would benefit most people. As Peterlee is where most people do there shopping..

Aye, but a lot of Thornley folk tend to go to Durham because it's a lot quicker. (And smells nicer, once you get away from the bus station!) I know a few people who go out and make a day of it.

2bagstew

13 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm #1,008
(13 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm)BusLoverMum Aye, but a lot of Thornley folk tend to go to Durham because it's a lot quicker. (And smells nicer, once you get away from the bus station!) I know a few people who go out and make a day of it.

A few years ago when I lived in Wordsworth Av a lot of folk used the 21/21A(213) for to Peterlee for Shopping but 22 was always used for a Day out to Durham or Hartlepool in them days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2bagstew
13 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm #1,008

(13 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm)BusLoverMum Aye, but a lot of Thornley folk tend to go to Durham because it's a lot quicker. (And smells nicer, once you get away from the bus station!) I know a few people who go out and make a day of it.

A few years ago when I lived in Wordsworth Av a lot of folk used the 21/21A(213) for to Peterlee for Shopping but 22 was always used for a Day out to Durham or Hartlepool in them days.

BusLoverMum

13 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm #1,009
(13 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm)2bagstew A few years ago when I lived in Wordsworth Av a lot of folk used the 21/21A(213) for to Peterlee for Shopping but 22 was always used for a Day out to Durham or Hartlepool in them days.

You can't really do much with a day in Hartlepool, these days, though my mother in law is partial to fish and chips from TJ Hugh's. She can't really manage it on the bus any more, though, as she needs her scooter.
BusLoverMum
13 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm #1,009

(13 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm)2bagstew A few years ago when I lived in Wordsworth Av a lot of folk used the 21/21A(213) for to Peterlee for Shopping but 22 was always used for a Day out to Durham or Hartlepool in them days.

You can't really do much with a day in Hartlepool, these days, though my mother in law is partial to fish and chips from TJ Hugh's. She can't really manage it on the bus any more, though, as she needs her scooter.

Tamesider

13 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm #1,010
(13 Oct 2017, 9:38 am)Andreos1 It's win-win for ANE if their discounts are covered in full by the council.

Sorry, if I've missed something, but how can it possibly be legal for a local authority to subsidise "discounts" on commercial bus services - let alone on a single operator?
Tamesider
13 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm #1,010

(13 Oct 2017, 9:38 am)Andreos1 It's win-win for ANE if their discounts are covered in full by the council.

Sorry, if I've missed something, but how can it possibly be legal for a local authority to subsidise "discounts" on commercial bus services - let alone on a single operator?

2bagstew

13 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm #1,011
(13 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm)BusLoverMum You can't really do much with a day in Hartlepool, these days, though my mother in law is partial to fish and chips from TJ Hugh's. She can't really manage it on the bus any more, though, as she needs her scooter.

Hartlepool is has really gone down over the years an hour in the town is more than enough for me. Many moons ago I could spend a full day.

2bagstew
13 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm #1,011

(13 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm)BusLoverMum You can't really do much with a day in Hartlepool, these days, though my mother in law is partial to fish and chips from TJ Hugh's. She can't really manage it on the bus any more, though, as she needs her scooter.

Hartlepool is has really gone down over the years an hour in the town is more than enough for me. Many moons ago I could spend a full day.

James101

13 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm #1,012
(13 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm)2bagstew Hartlepool is has really gone down over the years an hour in the town is more than enough for me. Many moons ago I could spend a full day.

It's a shame buses haven't properly made their way down to navigation point, much more attractive things to do there. Between Middleton Grange, Marina Way shops, the maritime museums and Navigation Point I think Hartlepool can make a day out. The issue arises that these locations are probably just too far away from one another to be practical or attractive for most people. Some sort  of town centre circular would be beneficial to all parties, but  highly unlikely to happen.
James101
13 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm #1,012

(13 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm)2bagstew Hartlepool is has really gone down over the years an hour in the town is more than enough for me. Many moons ago I could spend a full day.

It's a shame buses haven't properly made their way down to navigation point, much more attractive things to do there. Between Middleton Grange, Marina Way shops, the maritime museums and Navigation Point I think Hartlepool can make a day out. The issue arises that these locations are probably just too far away from one another to be practical or attractive for most people. Some sort  of town centre circular would be beneficial to all parties, but  highly unlikely to happen.

Adrian

14 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm #1,013

Confirmed - ETC customers have been notified by email:

Quote:"Good morning,
Due to changes to our boundaries in the County Durham area, the Durham District zone is being extended to include Ferryhill, Chilton, the Trimdons and Sedgefield. This is just an email to let you know that your ticket will entitle you to travel in these areas in addition to the travel you already get, from 29th October 2017. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
ETC Team"

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm #1,013

Confirmed - ETC customers have been notified by email:

Quote:"Good morning,
Due to changes to our boundaries in the County Durham area, the Durham District zone is being extended to include Ferryhill, Chilton, the Trimdons and Sedgefield. This is just an email to let you know that your ticket will entitle you to travel in these areas in addition to the travel you already get, from 29th October 2017. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
ETC Team"

2bagstew

14 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm #1,014
(14 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm)Adrian Confirmed - ETC customers have been notified by email:

It’s only a saving of 50p from Durham County Ticket
That’s not much good for the people from Trimdon if they can’t travel too Peterlee as most people use Peterlee do there shopping.

Edited 14 Oct 2017, 7:42 pm by 2bagstew.
2bagstew
14 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm #1,014

(14 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm)Adrian Confirmed - ETC customers have been notified by email:

It’s only a saving of 50p from Durham County Ticket
That’s not much good for the people from Trimdon if they can’t travel too Peterlee as most people use Peterlee do there shopping.

Adrian

14 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm #1,015
(14 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm)2bagstew It’s only a saving of 50p from Durham County Ticket

Lets be fair here.... its a saving of £25 a month for those that use the ETC scheme, and currently commute between Sedgefield and Durham (or even Newcastle!). £51 for a Durham District monthly (not 4-weekly), as oppose to £76 for a Durham County monthly. Its a similar £25 saving for non-ETC customers too.

I do take the point about Trimdon, and given that the villages are classed as 'East Durham', it seems seems daft that they aren't included in the East Durham saver.

Adrian
14 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm #1,015

(14 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm)2bagstew It’s only a saving of 50p from Durham County Ticket

Lets be fair here.... its a saving of £25 a month for those that use the ETC scheme, and currently commute between Sedgefield and Durham (or even Newcastle!). £51 for a Durham District monthly (not 4-weekly), as oppose to £76 for a Durham County monthly. Its a similar £25 saving for non-ETC customers too.

I do take the point about Trimdon, and given that the villages are classed as 'East Durham', it seems seems daft that they aren't included in the East Durham saver.

2bagstew

14 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm #1,016
(14 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm)Adrian Lets be fair here.... its a saving of £25 a month for those that use the ETC scheme, and currently commute between Sedgefield and Durham (or even Newcastle!). £51 for a Durham District monthly (not 4-weekly), as oppose to £76 for a Durham County monthly. Its a similar £25 saving for non-ETC customers too.

I feel the Durham District Ticket may be wrongly priced now as other than the day ticket £6.50 all other tickets are cheaper than eg the East Durham Saver which is £5 a day, the £23 per week, £80 per month whereas the Durham District is £18.20 for a week, £60 per month.
I would enjoy it while you can as I can’t see Arriva leaving there prices as they will be losing a lot of money.

2bagstew
14 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm #1,016

(14 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm)Adrian Lets be fair here.... its a saving of £25 a month for those that use the ETC scheme, and currently commute between Sedgefield and Durham (or even Newcastle!). £51 for a Durham District monthly (not 4-weekly), as oppose to £76 for a Durham County monthly. Its a similar £25 saving for non-ETC customers too.

I feel the Durham District Ticket may be wrongly priced now as other than the day ticket £6.50 all other tickets are cheaper than eg the East Durham Saver which is £5 a day, the £23 per week, £80 per month whereas the Durham District is £18.20 for a week, £60 per month.
I would enjoy it while you can as I can’t see Arriva leaving there prices as they will be losing a lot of money.

Adrian

14 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm #1,017
(14 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm)2bagstew I feel the Durham District Ticket may be wrongly priced now as other than the day ticket £6.50 all other tickets are cheaper than eg the East Durham Saver which is £5 a day, the £23 per week, £80 per month whereas the Durham District is £18.20 for a week, £60 per month.

I agree that the day ticket isn't good value for money, but I don't think there can be any argument about the monthly/4-weekly options representing very good value for money. You've also got to consider that East Durham is a competitive corridor, with Go North East providing Sunderland to Hartlepool links via Peterlee, expresses on to Newcastle and Teesside, and also a lot of local services. It is funny what a bit of competition offers customers, in terms of value for money.

I think it is perhaps a little subjective to suggest that Arriva 'will be losing a lot of money' because of their prices. Whilst clearly they won't run the buses out of the kindness of their hearts, I would hope similar caution is given to pricing customers out of the market. Equally as dangerous in my opinion.

Adrian
14 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm #1,017

(14 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm)2bagstew I feel the Durham District Ticket may be wrongly priced now as other than the day ticket £6.50 all other tickets are cheaper than eg the East Durham Saver which is £5 a day, the £23 per week, £80 per month whereas the Durham District is £18.20 for a week, £60 per month.

I agree that the day ticket isn't good value for money, but I don't think there can be any argument about the monthly/4-weekly options representing very good value for money. You've also got to consider that East Durham is a competitive corridor, with Go North East providing Sunderland to Hartlepool links via Peterlee, expresses on to Newcastle and Teesside, and also a lot of local services. It is funny what a bit of competition offers customers, in terms of value for money.

I think it is perhaps a little subjective to suggest that Arriva 'will be losing a lot of money' because of their prices. Whilst clearly they won't run the buses out of the kindness of their hearts, I would hope similar caution is given to pricing customers out of the market. Equally as dangerous in my opinion.

GuyParkRoyal

20 Oct 2017, 10:40 am #1,018
Several years ago I stopped using the train for local travel because the bus was so much cheaper. I recently decided to give rail travel another try due to ageing buses appearing on the X21 and single deck vehicles creeping on to the 21 allocation.
I was surprised to discover that the train is now cheaper than the bus for my travel from Chester le Street to Durham and Newcastle (after 09:00).
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by bus £5.00
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by train £4.70 but reduced to £3.10 using my railcard.
Chester le Street to Durham return by bus £5.00
Chester le Street to Durham return by train £4.00 reduced to £2.65 using my railcard.
The train might not be as frequent as the bus but on the days when I can plan my journey around the train timetable that will now be my preferred mode of travel.
GuyParkRoyal
20 Oct 2017, 10:40 am #1,018

Several years ago I stopped using the train for local travel because the bus was so much cheaper. I recently decided to give rail travel another try due to ageing buses appearing on the X21 and single deck vehicles creeping on to the 21 allocation.
I was surprised to discover that the train is now cheaper than the bus for my travel from Chester le Street to Durham and Newcastle (after 09:00).
Chester le Street to Newcastle return by train £4.70 but reduced to £3.10 using my railcard.
Chester le Street to Durham return by train £4.00 reduced to £2.65 using my railcard.
The train might not be as frequent as the bus but on the days when I can plan my journey around the train timetable that will now be my preferred mode of travel.

Jimmi

20 Oct 2017, 10:51 am #1,019
(20 Oct 2017, 10:40 am)GuyParkRoyal Several years ago I stopped using the train for local travel because the bus was so much cheaper. I recently decided to give rail travel another try due to ageing buses appearing on the X21 and single deck vehicles creeping on to the 21 allocation.

You'd be surprised at how much cheaper some local train journeys are compared to bus journeys.

Newton Aycliffe - Darlington on the train costs at off peak times: Single £3.10 and Return £3.20. Don't know what the price for the bus is but I imagine it will be more than that, especially if you live near the train station using the 5/5A.

Should be interesting to see what happens come December when the Bishop Line service increases from a 2 hour frequency to a hourly frequency during the daytime.
Jimmi
20 Oct 2017, 10:51 am #1,019

(20 Oct 2017, 10:40 am)GuyParkRoyal Several years ago I stopped using the train for local travel because the bus was so much cheaper. I recently decided to give rail travel another try due to ageing buses appearing on the X21 and single deck vehicles creeping on to the 21 allocation.

You'd be surprised at how much cheaper some local train journeys are compared to bus journeys.

Newton Aycliffe - Darlington on the train costs at off peak times: Single £3.10 and Return £3.20. Don't know what the price for the bus is but I imagine it will be more than that, especially if you live near the train station using the 5/5A.

Should be interesting to see what happens come December when the Bishop Line service increases from a 2 hour frequency to a hourly frequency during the daytime.

2bagstew

20 Oct 2017, 11:01 am #1,020
(14 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm)Adrian I agree that the day ticket isn't good value for money, but I don't think there can be any argument about the monthly/4-weekly options representing very good value for money. You've also got to consider that East Durham is a competitive corridor, with Go North East providing Sunderland to Hartlepool links via Peterlee, expresses on to Newcastle and Teesside, and also a lot of local services. It is funny what a bit of competition offers customers, in terms of value for money.

The East Durham Saver now has 2 zones £4 Peterlee Zone from Station Town to Dalton Park £5 Sunderland in the North Hartlepool in the South Station Town in the West.
This 2 Zones offers more saving for people who want too just travel too Peterlee.

2bagstew
20 Oct 2017, 11:01 am #1,020

(14 Oct 2017, 9:02 pm)Adrian I agree that the day ticket isn't good value for money, but I don't think there can be any argument about the monthly/4-weekly options representing very good value for money. You've also got to consider that East Durham is a competitive corridor, with Go North East providing Sunderland to Hartlepool links via Peterlee, expresses on to Newcastle and Teesside, and also a lot of local services. It is funny what a bit of competition offers customers, in terms of value for money.

The East Durham Saver now has 2 zones £4 Peterlee Zone from Station Town to Dalton Park £5 Sunderland in the North Hartlepool in the South Station Town in the West.
This 2 Zones offers more saving for people who want too just travel too Peterlee.

Pages (89): Previous 150 51 5289 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average