Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89): Previous 152 53 5489 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

06 Jan 2018, 9:37 am #1,041
I intended to keep quiet on this one until users had the opportunity to have a bit more of a debate, but it seems to have quite quickly died down, so I'll give my thoughts...

Bus operators are seeing patronage and usage go down. There are a small number of exceptions, and this mainly applies to services which have seen significant investment by the operator (either new or refurbished vehicles). There are a number of reasons for this, but one in my opinion, is that travelling by bus is not simple.

I have just had a quick look on Arriva's website, and in total there are 49 Route Savers available for me to buy on-bus. A number of these are very similarly named: to give an example, there's a Durham City ticket, a Durham County ticket, a Durham District ticket, a Durham UNI City ticket, and a Durham UNI City +NCL ticket. Without clicking on each one of these tickets individually to see the zone map, I would not know the difference between all of them. With so many tickets available, it's difficult to tell which one offers the best value to me, as someone who presumably does not travel by bus that often (if I did, I'd be buying a more longer-term ticket offering travel for a week, month or year). As well as this, discounts may be available to me if I'm Under 16, Under 18, a student at college or University, etc.

In my opinion; operators need to be working towards making their ticketing structure simpler and easier to understand, which may encourage the occasional customer to travel by bus more regularly. If this means rationalising the amount of tickets which are available for customers to buy, this may be a better long-term strategy to see growth (which could then see tickets frozen in price or even reduced, rather than constantly being increased on an almost annual basis). With the technology available to operators these days; customers should be able to plan their journeys online or on a mobile app, being offered the ticket which offers the best value to cover that person's journey.

To make this post more relevant to the original point of discussion regarding Go North East's withdrawal of several Route Savers across the region - whilst some customers will lose out, others will actually see better value for money. Perhaps this message hasn't been communicated to customers as well as it could have been, as certainly not every customer will need to buy a one-zone BuzzFare to complete their journey. These RouteSavers were historically introduced to provide a cheaper alternative for customers only making a return journey, whilst also benefiting those who previously had to buy a BuzzFare day ticket. Go North East's fare structure has changed since then, and return tickets are now available to buy on every service (at the same price, or even cheaper, than the equivalent Route Saver). The ticket machines Go North East introduced 6-7 months ago provide the company with a lot more data on passenger trends and use, thanks to the QR codes on the tickets. Notably; a message was added to the bottom of each Route Saver ticket in the lead up to the ticket's withdrawal, not only advising of the withdrawal of the ticket, but telling passengers if they only "travel there and back", then they can buy a return ticket instead. Perhaps Go North East's more detailed ticket data/analysis proves that, of the very small number of these tickets being issued, a high percentage of these tickets were only scanned once (which therefore means that the ticket has only been used as a return, or the customer has not scanned their ticket on boarding the bus, on all journeys, as they're supposed to).

I do not think the uproar on Social Media is representative of the amount of tickets which were actually being sold. I've noticed several enthusiasts commenting on Social Media about this, yet they've probably never bought one of these tickets! It won't just be enthusiasts of course. Most of the areas where these Route Savers were available were smaller communities (such as Consett and Peterlee as mentioned previously). These areas have community groups on Facebook, and as I'm in a number of them myself, I know from experience that everyone tends to club together and create a mountain out of a molehill. Of course this is the downside of Social Media, which gives everyone a platform to vent with little to no moderation.
Dan
06 Jan 2018, 9:37 am #1,041

I intended to keep quiet on this one until users had the opportunity to have a bit more of a debate, but it seems to have quite quickly died down, so I'll give my thoughts...

Bus operators are seeing patronage and usage go down. There are a small number of exceptions, and this mainly applies to services which have seen significant investment by the operator (either new or refurbished vehicles). There are a number of reasons for this, but one in my opinion, is that travelling by bus is not simple.

I have just had a quick look on Arriva's website, and in total there are 49 Route Savers available for me to buy on-bus. A number of these are very similarly named: to give an example, there's a Durham City ticket, a Durham County ticket, a Durham District ticket, a Durham UNI City ticket, and a Durham UNI City +NCL ticket. Without clicking on each one of these tickets individually to see the zone map, I would not know the difference between all of them. With so many tickets available, it's difficult to tell which one offers the best value to me, as someone who presumably does not travel by bus that often (if I did, I'd be buying a more longer-term ticket offering travel for a week, month or year). As well as this, discounts may be available to me if I'm Under 16, Under 18, a student at college or University, etc.

In my opinion; operators need to be working towards making their ticketing structure simpler and easier to understand, which may encourage the occasional customer to travel by bus more regularly. If this means rationalising the amount of tickets which are available for customers to buy, this may be a better long-term strategy to see growth (which could then see tickets frozen in price or even reduced, rather than constantly being increased on an almost annual basis). With the technology available to operators these days; customers should be able to plan their journeys online or on a mobile app, being offered the ticket which offers the best value to cover that person's journey.

To make this post more relevant to the original point of discussion regarding Go North East's withdrawal of several Route Savers across the region - whilst some customers will lose out, others will actually see better value for money. Perhaps this message hasn't been communicated to customers as well as it could have been, as certainly not every customer will need to buy a one-zone BuzzFare to complete their journey. These RouteSavers were historically introduced to provide a cheaper alternative for customers only making a return journey, whilst also benefiting those who previously had to buy a BuzzFare day ticket. Go North East's fare structure has changed since then, and return tickets are now available to buy on every service (at the same price, or even cheaper, than the equivalent Route Saver). The ticket machines Go North East introduced 6-7 months ago provide the company with a lot more data on passenger trends and use, thanks to the QR codes on the tickets. Notably; a message was added to the bottom of each Route Saver ticket in the lead up to the ticket's withdrawal, not only advising of the withdrawal of the ticket, but telling passengers if they only "travel there and back", then they can buy a return ticket instead. Perhaps Go North East's more detailed ticket data/analysis proves that, of the very small number of these tickets being issued, a high percentage of these tickets were only scanned once (which therefore means that the ticket has only been used as a return, or the customer has not scanned their ticket on boarding the bus, on all journeys, as they're supposed to).

I do not think the uproar on Social Media is representative of the amount of tickets which were actually being sold. I've noticed several enthusiasts commenting on Social Media about this, yet they've probably never bought one of these tickets! It won't just be enthusiasts of course. Most of the areas where these Route Savers were available were smaller communities (such as Consett and Peterlee as mentioned previously). These areas have community groups on Facebook, and as I'm in a number of them myself, I know from experience that everyone tends to club together and create a mountain out of a molehill. Of course this is the downside of Social Media, which gives everyone a platform to vent with little to no moderation.

Adrian

20 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm #1,042
Looks like GNE have decided to reinstate the Consett Day Saver: https://www.facebook.com/LauraPidcockMP/...25/?type=3

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
20 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm #1,042

Looks like GNE have decided to reinstate the Consett Day Saver: https://www.facebook.com/LauraPidcockMP/...25/?type=3

20 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm #1,043
(20 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm)Adrian Looks like GNE have decided to reinstate the Consett Day Saver: https://www.facebook.com/LauraPidcockMP/...25/?type=3

Reinstated for now,but if the sales go badly they will remove them again
Northern4555
20 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm #1,043

(20 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm)Adrian Looks like GNE have decided to reinstate the Consett Day Saver: https://www.facebook.com/LauraPidcockMP/...25/?type=3

Reinstated for now,but if the sales go badly they will remove them again

mb134

20 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm #1,044
(06 Jan 2018, 9:37 am)Dan I have just had a quick look on Arriva's website, and in total there are 49 Route Savers available for me to buy on-bus. A number of these are very similarly named: to give an example, there's a Durham City ticket, a Durham County ticket, a Durham District ticket, a Durham UNI City ticket, and a Durham UNI City +NCL ticket. Without clicking on each one of these tickets individually to see the zone map, I would not know the difference between all of them. With so many tickets available, it's difficult to tell which one offers the best value to me, as someone who presumably does not travel by bus that often (if I did, I'd be buying a more longer-term ticket offering travel for a week, month or year). As well as this, discounts may be available to me if I'm Under 16, Under 18, a student at college or University, etc.

I'm sorry, but out of those 5, the only two I'd struggle to differentiate would be the Durham County and District, and that's likely only because I don't really know the Durham area. Checking the map online would quickly tell me. If you cant differentiate between the UNI City and UNI City +Newcastle ticket then there's really not much hope is there?

Similarly, if you think for a second about the area which ANE cover, there's always going to be a lot of options available. Most of which are more suitable and logical than Go North East's Buzzfare options.
mb134
20 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm #1,044

(06 Jan 2018, 9:37 am)Dan I have just had a quick look on Arriva's website, and in total there are 49 Route Savers available for me to buy on-bus. A number of these are very similarly named: to give an example, there's a Durham City ticket, a Durham County ticket, a Durham District ticket, a Durham UNI City ticket, and a Durham UNI City +NCL ticket. Without clicking on each one of these tickets individually to see the zone map, I would not know the difference between all of them. With so many tickets available, it's difficult to tell which one offers the best value to me, as someone who presumably does not travel by bus that often (if I did, I'd be buying a more longer-term ticket offering travel for a week, month or year). As well as this, discounts may be available to me if I'm Under 16, Under 18, a student at college or University, etc.

I'm sorry, but out of those 5, the only two I'd struggle to differentiate would be the Durham County and District, and that's likely only because I don't really know the Durham area. Checking the map online would quickly tell me. If you cant differentiate between the UNI City and UNI City +Newcastle ticket then there's really not much hope is there?

Similarly, if you think for a second about the area which ANE cover, there's always going to be a lot of options available. Most of which are more suitable and logical than Go North East's Buzzfare options.

BusLoverMum

21 Jan 2018, 12:16 am #1,045
(20 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm)mb134 I'm sorry, but out of those 5, the only two I'd struggle to differentiate would be the Durham County and District, and that's likely only because I don't really know the Durham area. Checking the map online would quickly tell me. If you cant differentiate between the UNI City and UNI City +Newcastle ticket then there's really not much hope is there?

It might see easy to differentiate but you can use the Durham District ticket on the x12 into Newcastle, so not all that obvious, after all.

But yes, the options are many and not all drivers are conversant, which is why I often still buy a £5 child day ticket for bigun rather than the £4.50 young person's Durham District because some drivers will argue the toss about the validity of the latter for a 14 year old without student id. Darlo ones seem to be the problem as all the Belmont ones are fine with it and even suggest it when I ask for the child ticket. 

If I'm travelling on a Darlo service, the 50p difference isn't worth the hassle.
BusLoverMum
21 Jan 2018, 12:16 am #1,045

(20 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm)mb134 I'm sorry, but out of those 5, the only two I'd struggle to differentiate would be the Durham County and District, and that's likely only because I don't really know the Durham area. Checking the map online would quickly tell me. If you cant differentiate between the UNI City and UNI City +Newcastle ticket then there's really not much hope is there?

It might see easy to differentiate but you can use the Durham District ticket on the x12 into Newcastle, so not all that obvious, after all.

But yes, the options are many and not all drivers are conversant, which is why I often still buy a £5 child day ticket for bigun rather than the £4.50 young person's Durham District because some drivers will argue the toss about the validity of the latter for a 14 year old without student id. Darlo ones seem to be the problem as all the Belmont ones are fine with it and even suggest it when I ask for the child ticket. 

If I'm travelling on a Darlo service, the 50p difference isn't worth the hassle.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Jan 2018, 8:30 am #1,046

(21 Jan 2018, 12:16 am)BusLoverMum It might see easy to differentiate but you can use the Durham District ticket on the x12 into Newcastle, so not all that obvious, after all.

Exactly, BLM.

The ticketing structure, especially in Durham, is not simple at all. If it's not simple for customers, it's not going to be that easy for drivers to remember every ticket option either, and which one offers the customer the best value for money.

I had an issue for a long time, some years ago, attempting to travel on Arriva Durham's services into Sunderland. Very few drivers knew what the Nexus CAT day ticket was, and often denied me travel on their services (despite it being valid for travel). Reported to Customer Services many times, and never improved. I've no idea what the state of play is now, but even my Staff Pass these days is often thought to be invalid, so I'd suggest probably isn't much better...

Going back to my original post, it shouldn't be that there's "no hope" for customers who infrequently travel by bus, who may be confused by the various options available to them. The ticketing structure should be simple enough to allow ease of travel, with little prior research for these customers.
Dan
21 Jan 2018, 8:30 am #1,046

(21 Jan 2018, 12:16 am)BusLoverMum It might see easy to differentiate but you can use the Durham District ticket on the x12 into Newcastle, so not all that obvious, after all.

Exactly, BLM.

The ticketing structure, especially in Durham, is not simple at all. If it's not simple for customers, it's not going to be that easy for drivers to remember every ticket option either, and which one offers the customer the best value for money.

I had an issue for a long time, some years ago, attempting to travel on Arriva Durham's services into Sunderland. Very few drivers knew what the Nexus CAT day ticket was, and often denied me travel on their services (despite it being valid for travel). Reported to Customer Services many times, and never improved. I've no idea what the state of play is now, but even my Staff Pass these days is often thought to be invalid, so I'd suggest probably isn't much better...

Going back to my original post, it shouldn't be that there's "no hope" for customers who infrequently travel by bus, who may be confused by the various options available to them. The ticketing structure should be simple enough to allow ease of travel, with little prior research for these customers.

Andreos1

21 Jan 2018, 10:21 am #1,047
Years ago, GNE had what I thought was a pretty simple ticketing system. There was a regionwide ticket, T&W ticket and a couple of Town & City tickets. Maybe a couple of others, but all along those styles.

They changed it all, introduced coloured zones with obscure boundaries (and huge fare increases for some) and many more ticket types and then introduced a 30 odd page booklet to let passengers know about the huge array of ticketing options.
Confusing?

The new ticket machines give GNE the option of analysing ticket trends and travel patterns too. Something that I thought was a lacking in the past.
The patter about lack of sales following this analysis is something I have touched on recently and is something I think is flawed.
GNE aren't manufacturing a product, aren't incurring costs when buying raw ingredients and aren't paying staff to assemble it on a production line in a manufacturing plant they have a mortgage on.
They aren't then seeing those manufactured products standing on a shelf.
However, the withdrawal of the tickets has seen some passengers face yet another January fare increase. Except this one is a little more subtle and discreet...

Despite the vast (but rapidly reducing options for passengers), GNE still don't offer ticket types or travel opportunities that meet my needs.
I want a 24 hour ticket - which would save me money and could also encourage me to travel more.
They still force me to buy an expensive day ticket when travelling - due to the streamlining of services and a business plan that seems to have a huge reliance on the hub and spoke model.
I can't be the only one who would see the benefits and advantages of a 24 hour ticket nor reintroduction of direct services (and cheaper return tickets) surely?

If ticketing options are too vast or too confusing, then maybe looking at the way services operate is one way to fix it?
Getting rid of tickets that are financially attractive to some, is one model that I can't see working when looking to grow and develop usage. It goes back to the elasticity of passengers and I am guessing some will vote with their bums.

Just to throw in some balance and ensure this isn't seen to be an anti-GNE rant (it's not by the way), I recently had issues with ANE.
Again, for all the options they have and apparent confusion passengers and drivers face - when travelling with them recently and needing a return trip on one service.
There wasn't a day ticket that met my specific needs.
There was the option of one day ticket which covered a vast area (of which I had very little need to travel in a big portion of) and cost a lot more than I needed to or wanted to pay. The other option was 4 return tickets (Mrs C and the little Constantopolous's were all with me).

Where do you draw the line? I want options that aren't available and operators withdraw options that are available.
I understand ot is impossible to meet the demands and needs of all passengers.
I understand it is perceived to be confusing when a number of options are presented.
I see that it iss perceived as flawed, greedy and perhaps yet another example of operators showing a lack of understanding of passenger needs, when ticket options are reduced.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Jan 2018, 10:21 am #1,047

Years ago, GNE had what I thought was a pretty simple ticketing system. There was a regionwide ticket, T&W ticket and a couple of Town & City tickets. Maybe a couple of others, but all along those styles.

They changed it all, introduced coloured zones with obscure boundaries (and huge fare increases for some) and many more ticket types and then introduced a 30 odd page booklet to let passengers know about the huge array of ticketing options.
Confusing?

The new ticket machines give GNE the option of analysing ticket trends and travel patterns too. Something that I thought was a lacking in the past.
The patter about lack of sales following this analysis is something I have touched on recently and is something I think is flawed.
GNE aren't manufacturing a product, aren't incurring costs when buying raw ingredients and aren't paying staff to assemble it on a production line in a manufacturing plant they have a mortgage on.
However, the withdrawal of the tickets has seen some passengers face yet another January fare increase. Except this one is a little more subtle and discreet...

Despite the vast (but rapidly reducing options for passengers), GNE still don't offer ticket types or travel opportunities that meet my needs.
I want a 24 hour ticket - which would save me money and could also encourage me to travel more.
They still force me to buy an expensive day ticket when travelling - due to the streamlining of services and a business plan that seems to have a huge reliance on the hub and spoke model.
I can't be the only one who would see the benefits and advantages of a 24 hour ticket nor reintroduction of direct services (and cheaper return tickets) surely?

If ticketing options are too vast or too confusing, then maybe looking at the way services operate is one way to fix it?
Getting rid of tickets that are financially attractive to some, is one model that I can't see working when looking to grow and develop usage. It goes back to the elasticity of passengers and I am guessing some will vote with their bums.

Just to throw in some balance and ensure this isn't seen to be an anti-GNE rant (it's not by the way), I recently had issues with ANE.
Again, for all the options they have and apparent confusion passengers and drivers face - when travelling with them recently and needing a return trip on one service.
There was the option of one day ticket which covered a vast area (of which I had very little need to travel in a big portion of) and cost a lot more than I needed to or wanted to pay. The other option was 4 return tickets (Mrs C and the little Constantopolous's were all with me).

Where do you draw the line? I want options that aren't available and operators withdraw options that are available.
I understand it is perceived to be confusing when a number of options are presented.
I see that it iss perceived as flawed, greedy and perhaps yet another example of operators showing a lack of understanding of passenger needs, when ticket options are reduced.

mb134

21 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm #1,048

Hence why I made the point that if I wasn't too sure what it included, I'd check on the map (or ask the driver...)

(21 Jan 2018, 10:21 am)Andreos1 Where do you draw the line? I want options that aren't available and operators withdraw options that are available.

I'd say this is probably what has led to Arriva having a vast amount of options available, which in my opinion is the best way to go about it, as long as drivers are adequately knowledgeable about the tickets they may be selling on their route. There is absolutely no cost to Arriva to have a low-selling ticket on their system, and if it is very good value for money, they could even spot that and try to promote it more. Don't then withdraw the ticket because it isn't sold that often. As we've seen with the Consett example, all it does is create bad press for the company (which, incidentally, could cost them money)
Edited 21 Jan 2018, 4:47 pm by mb134.
mb134
21 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm #1,048

Hence why I made the point that if I wasn't too sure what it included, I'd check on the map (or ask the driver...)

(21 Jan 2018, 10:21 am)Andreos1 Where do you draw the line? I want options that aren't available and operators withdraw options that are available.

I'd say this is probably what has led to Arriva having a vast amount of options available, which in my opinion is the best way to go about it, as long as drivers are adequately knowledgeable about the tickets they may be selling on their route. There is absolutely no cost to Arriva to have a low-selling ticket on their system, and if it is very good value for money, they could even spot that and try to promote it more. Don't then withdraw the ticket because it isn't sold that often. As we've seen with the Consett example, all it does is create bad press for the company (which, incidentally, could cost them money)

Adrian

21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm #1,049
(21 Jan 2018, 10:21 am)Andreos1 Years ago, GNE had what I thought was a pretty simple ticketing system. There was a regionwide ticket, T&W ticket and a couple of Town & City tickets. Maybe a couple of others, but all along those styles.

Confusing?

Good post. 

I agree - the old 'Go n Save' tickets made things as simple as can be, and it was a mistake to ditch them in favour of the illogical Buzzfare boundaries. Everybody seemed to know what they'd need with the old ticketing options - either a Tyne and Wear, Three Cities (T&W+Co. Durham) or Regionwide ticket. There was no real dispute about where the boundaries lay. Buzzfare came in and it divided the Tyne and Wear ticket into three zones - including a boundary for some of those commuting from Gateshead to Newcastle, and more bizarrely, a boundary between Shiney Row and Washington Galleries. That of course only tells half a story, because it is without the multiple route savers, town savers and so on.

I've long called for a 24 hour ticket, as oppose to having 'day' tickets. It doesn't seem right that you're charged the same price for a day ticket at 6pm, as you would be at 6am. Despite having some 12 hours extra use out of it. The same goes for Sunday and bank holiday; why should you pay the same price for your day ticket on either of those days, when you have about 1/3 of the normal service operating? You wouldn't pay the price for a pint for a 1/3 in a pub... you'd pay for a third. So why should public transport be any different?

I quite like the idea of evening fares too, and I'd like to think that they'd support the viability of more frequent buses on an evening. Arriva run a '5 for a Fiver' fare in Durham City after 7pm, which is bound to be cheaper than a taxi in all cases.

Overall, I would like to see a lot more integrated working between the major operators in the North East. It is quite clear that they are reluctant to compete with each other route by route, and I think we've seen since deregulation, that it provides little benefit for the passengers when they do. So why not take advantage of the Buses Bill, and have some proper integrated multi bus operator ticketing instead? Cut Nexus and the Metro out, and have a decent product that offers good value for money to everyone... we might actually get somewhat closer to the pipe-dream of an 'Oyster card for the North'... Smile

Adrian
21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm #1,049

(21 Jan 2018, 10:21 am)Andreos1 Years ago, GNE had what I thought was a pretty simple ticketing system. There was a regionwide ticket, T&W ticket and a couple of Town & City tickets. Maybe a couple of others, but all along those styles.

Confusing?

Good post. 

I agree - the old 'Go n Save' tickets made things as simple as can be, and it was a mistake to ditch them in favour of the illogical Buzzfare boundaries. Everybody seemed to know what they'd need with the old ticketing options - either a Tyne and Wear, Three Cities (T&W+Co. Durham) or Regionwide ticket. There was no real dispute about where the boundaries lay. Buzzfare came in and it divided the Tyne and Wear ticket into three zones - including a boundary for some of those commuting from Gateshead to Newcastle, and more bizarrely, a boundary between Shiney Row and Washington Galleries. That of course only tells half a story, because it is without the multiple route savers, town savers and so on.

I've long called for a 24 hour ticket, as oppose to having 'day' tickets. It doesn't seem right that you're charged the same price for a day ticket at 6pm, as you would be at 6am. Despite having some 12 hours extra use out of it. The same goes for Sunday and bank holiday; why should you pay the same price for your day ticket on either of those days, when you have about 1/3 of the normal service operating? You wouldn't pay the price for a pint for a 1/3 in a pub... you'd pay for a third. So why should public transport be any different?

I quite like the idea of evening fares too, and I'd like to think that they'd support the viability of more frequent buses on an evening. Arriva run a '5 for a Fiver' fare in Durham City after 7pm, which is bound to be cheaper than a taxi in all cases.

Overall, I would like to see a lot more integrated working between the major operators in the North East. It is quite clear that they are reluctant to compete with each other route by route, and I think we've seen since deregulation, that it provides little benefit for the passengers when they do. So why not take advantage of the Buses Bill, and have some proper integrated multi bus operator ticketing instead? Cut Nexus and the Metro out, and have a decent product that offers good value for money to everyone... we might actually get somewhat closer to the pipe-dream of an 'Oyster card for the North'... Smile

mb134

21 Jan 2018, 6:17 pm #1,050
(21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm)Adrian I've long called for a 24 hour ticket, as oppose to having 'day' tickets. It doesn't seem right that you're charged the same price for a day ticket at 6pm, as you would be at 6am. Despite having some 12 hours extra use out of it. The same goes for Sunday and bank holiday; why should you pay the same price for your day ticket on either of those days, when you have about 1/3 of the normal service operating? You wouldn't pay the price for a pint for a 1/3 in a pub... you'd pay for a third. So why should public transport be any different?

I know First up here offer "Evening Tickets", which are £3 after 19:00. If you take into account a single into town is £2.50, that's a decent offer. I'm definitely of the opinion that if bus companies in university cities targeted students more than it seems they do, more would begin to use the bus to travel into the city centre for nights out, etc. This would, in theory, lead to the demand for a more frequent service, which everyone would benefit from. 

I think the Explorer is something that can definitely be built upon if used and advertised properly. Although, I think there potentially needs to be something in place to see fares from that ticket be weighted more in terms of which services they're used on.
mb134
21 Jan 2018, 6:17 pm #1,050

(21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm)Adrian I've long called for a 24 hour ticket, as oppose to having 'day' tickets. It doesn't seem right that you're charged the same price for a day ticket at 6pm, as you would be at 6am. Despite having some 12 hours extra use out of it. The same goes for Sunday and bank holiday; why should you pay the same price for your day ticket on either of those days, when you have about 1/3 of the normal service operating? You wouldn't pay the price for a pint for a 1/3 in a pub... you'd pay for a third. So why should public transport be any different?

I know First up here offer "Evening Tickets", which are £3 after 19:00. If you take into account a single into town is £2.50, that's a decent offer. I'm definitely of the opinion that if bus companies in university cities targeted students more than it seems they do, more would begin to use the bus to travel into the city centre for nights out, etc. This would, in theory, lead to the demand for a more frequent service, which everyone would benefit from. 

I think the Explorer is something that can definitely be built upon if used and advertised properly. Although, I think there potentially needs to be something in place to see fares from that ticket be weighted more in terms of which services they're used on.

Andreos1

21 Jan 2018, 8:30 pm #1,051
(21 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm)mb134 Hence why I made the point that if I wasn't too sure what it included, I'd check on the map (or ask the driver...)

Totally agree about promoting tickets more. Particularly if they aren't selling well.
I think the most important thing is need to find out why they aren't selling well.
Of course, it could all be PR spin. They could be selling by the bucket load! 

I think your line (and BLM's reference) to drivers is also an important point.
If staff within depots aren't ensuring front line staff are fully aware of the ticketing options available, then questions need asking.
There are all sorts of methods in ensuring staff are aware of tickets.
Of course a conscientious driver could do their own home-work...

(21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm)Adrian Good post. 

My travel habits have changed over the years. Numerous reasons for it, be it work, family or other things. 
However, it goes without saying, that the 2006 changes had an impact on my travel habits.

How many other passengers have seen their habits change (positively or negatively), since the 2006 changes? 
I would love to know how the changes have forced change in say Friday night trips to the club for a game of pool.

Whilst I appreciate operators may say they have no social responsibility, they must see at some point that ticket changes, route changes and anything else that impacts on someones life, can and will have long term consequences on their operations.

Just a few of examples of this:
A famous examples was the 194/M1 changes and the removal of a direct bus to St Roberts/Biddick.

I regularly got the 71 on an evening to/from Chester and used to see punters on a Friday get off at Lumley club. They would get the last bus home, getting back home for 23.30.
Nowadays, they will be home before 21.30! Assuming they still go to/from Lumley on a Friday.
Ihave no idea if they do or not unfortunately...

Weekday match at SJP. Not sure whether to thank GNE or not for this one.
Apart from gambling on the last full 4 (at 22.10), fancying an X1 and a walk or a 21, 20 and a walk (done that once - never again), using public transport isnt really an option any more.
At least it has saved me the torture of regularly watching the dross being served out at SJP over the last 12 years.

Andreos1
21 Jan 2018, 8:30 pm #1,051

(21 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm)mb134 Hence why I made the point that if I wasn't too sure what it included, I'd check on the map (or ask the driver...)

Totally agree about promoting tickets more. Particularly if they aren't selling well.
I think the most important thing is need to find out why they aren't selling well.
Of course, it could all be PR spin. They could be selling by the bucket load! 

I think your line (and BLM's reference) to drivers is also an important point.
If staff within depots aren't ensuring front line staff are fully aware of the ticketing options available, then questions need asking.
There are all sorts of methods in ensuring staff are aware of tickets.
Of course a conscientious driver could do their own home-work...

(21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm)Adrian Good post. 

My travel habits have changed over the years. Numerous reasons for it, be it work, family or other things. 
However, it goes without saying, that the 2006 changes had an impact on my travel habits.

How many other passengers have seen their habits change (positively or negatively), since the 2006 changes? 
I would love to know how the changes have forced change in say Friday night trips to the club for a game of pool.

Whilst I appreciate operators may say they have no social responsibility, they must see at some point that ticket changes, route changes and anything else that impacts on someones life, can and will have long term consequences on their operations.

Just a few of examples of this:
A famous examples was the 194/M1 changes and the removal of a direct bus to St Roberts/Biddick.

I regularly got the 71 on an evening to/from Chester and used to see punters on a Friday get off at Lumley club. They would get the last bus home, getting back home for 23.30.
Nowadays, they will be home before 21.30! Assuming they still go to/from Lumley on a Friday.
Ihave no idea if they do or not unfortunately...

Weekday match at SJP. Not sure whether to thank GNE or not for this one.
Apart from gambling on the last full 4 (at 22.10), fancying an X1 and a walk or a 21, 20 and a walk (done that once - never again), using public transport isnt really an option any more.
At least it has saved me the torture of regularly watching the dross being served out at SJP over the last 12 years.

Andreos1

08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am #1,052
Interesting comments appearing on the Passenger Transport twitter page today.

https://twitter.com/passtrans/status/961551205511192578

Quote:David Begg - worry about industry margins slipping below 8% where the case for new bus investment collapses #UKBusSummit

Obviously this is an example from him and there's going to be differences between each operator/division etc. Just thought it was a nice little point of reference next time we see a price increase or the conversation progresses back to BSOG uplifts Wink

Andreos1
08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am #1,052

Interesting comments appearing on the Passenger Transport twitter page today.

Quote:David Begg - worry about industry margins slipping below 8% where the case for new bus investment collapses #UKBusSummit

Obviously this is an example from him and there's going to be differences between each operator/division etc. Just thought it was a nice little point of reference next time we see a price increase or the conversation progresses back to BSOG uplifts Wink

Andreos1

16 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm #1,053
(08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am)Andreos1 Interesting comments appearing on the Passenger Transport twitter page today.

Margins supposedly decreasing, but fares increasing.
http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trai...46260f?irr

Something's not adding up.

Andreos1
16 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm #1,053

(08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am)Andreos1 Interesting comments appearing on the Passenger Transport twitter page today.

Margins supposedly decreasing, but fares increasing.
http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trai...46260f?irr

Something's not adding up.

Andreos1

27 Mar 2018, 8:30 pm #1,054
It's not just me!

(that isn't me by the way)
Attached Files
.png
wp_ss_20180327_0002 (2).png
Size: 161.47 KB / Downloads: 31
.png
wp_ss_20180327_0003 (2).png
Size: 156.21 KB / Downloads: 19

Andreos1
27 Mar 2018, 8:30 pm #1,054

It's not just me!

(that isn't me by the way)

Attached Files
.png
wp_ss_20180327_0002 (2).png
Size: 161.47 KB / Downloads: 31
.png
wp_ss_20180327_0003 (2).png
Size: 156.21 KB / Downloads: 19

30 Mar 2018, 8:46 pm #1,055
A 24 hour ticket rather than a day ticket is a really good idea. A day ticket in the evening is not a fair deal in comparison to a day ticket earlier in the day. There is plenty to do in the evening, and day tickets can be quite cheap anyway, but a 24 hour ticket is more fair to all passengers.
OrangeArrow49
30 Mar 2018, 8:46 pm #1,055

A 24 hour ticket rather than a day ticket is a really good idea. A day ticket in the evening is not a fair deal in comparison to a day ticket earlier in the day. There is plenty to do in the evening, and day tickets can be quite cheap anyway, but a 24 hour ticket is more fair to all passengers.

Adrian

13 Apr 2018, 9:20 pm #1,056
Moderation: Some posts moved to here.

Adrian
13 Apr 2018, 9:20 pm #1,056

Moderation: Some posts moved to here.

14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm #1,057
Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

Also, some fares should be reduced slightly on Sundays as the service is reduced.
OrangeArrow49
14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm #1,057

Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

Also, some fares should be reduced slightly on Sundays as the service is reduced.

Andreos1

15 Apr 2018, 7:14 am #1,058
(14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm)OrangeArrow49 Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

ANE offered a 24hr ticket in the lead up to Christmas.
No idea how successful it was.

Andreos1
15 Apr 2018, 7:14 am #1,058

(14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm)OrangeArrow49 Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

ANE offered a 24hr ticket in the lead up to Christmas.
No idea how successful it was.

Adrian

15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm #1,059

IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I'd also say multi-trip tickets should be reduced on a Sunday and Bank Holiday, to reflect the level of service you have on those days. I find it easy enough to get around with Sunday service if you plan properly, but I kind of resent paying the same fare as I do on a Saturday.

Adrian
15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm #1,059

IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I'd also say multi-trip tickets should be reduced on a Sunday and Bank Holiday, to reflect the level of service you have on those days. I find it easy enough to get around with Sunday service if you plan properly, but I kind of resent paying the same fare as I do on a Saturday.

Andreos1

15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm #1,060
(15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm)Adrian IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I recently had need to buy a Day Rover and 3 Zone plus on consecutive days. 
It was an expensive two days, operators could easily have saved me a considerable amount of money, if the ticket was available for 24 hours.

To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.
It didn't work. The machine pinged an error and I was forced to use the correct ticket.
Edited 15 Apr 2018, 1:50 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm #1,060

(15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm)Adrian IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I recently had need to buy a Day Rover and 3 Zone plus on consecutive days. 
It was an expensive two days, operators could easily have saved me a considerable amount of money, if the ticket was available for 24 hours.

To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.
It didn't work. The machine pinged an error and I was forced to use the correct ticket.

Pages (89): Previous 152 53 5489 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average