Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2018

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next
03 Jul 2018, 4:02 pm #1
7636 is now Refurbished.
NewcastleOne
03 Jul 2018, 4:02 pm #1

7636 is now Refurbished.

GNE6312

03 Jul 2018, 5:10 pm #2
7631 is now refurbished and is heading to blyth on the 308 and is currently leaving willington square
GNE6312
03 Jul 2018, 5:10 pm #2

7631 is now refurbished and is heading to blyth on the 308 and is currently leaving willington square

jimmoc

03 Jul 2018, 5:45 pm #3
Sorry for asking but what solos are at redcar/whitby
jimmoc
03 Jul 2018, 5:45 pm #3

Sorry for asking but what solos are at redcar/whitby

RobinHood

03 Jul 2018, 6:56 pm #4
(03 Jul 2018, 5:45 pm)jimmoc Sorry for asking but what solos are at redcar/whitby

On paper, 2828, 2862, 2870 & 2871.

I think they have 284x (unsure) also at the minute.
RobinHood
03 Jul 2018, 6:56 pm #4

(03 Jul 2018, 5:45 pm)jimmoc Sorry for asking but what solos are at redcar/whitby

On paper, 2828, 2862, 2870 & 2871.

Jimmi

03 Jul 2018, 7:30 pm #5
(03 Jul 2018, 6:56 pm)RobinHood On paper, 2828, 2862, 2870 & 2871.

2843 is currently on loan at Redcar depot whilst 1440 has gone to Darlington depot in return.
[Image: 42892267622_8bfb0e5f82_k.jpg]Arriva North East: 1440 / NK10CFA by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr
Jimmi
03 Jul 2018, 7:30 pm #5

(03 Jul 2018, 6:56 pm)RobinHood On paper, 2828, 2862, 2870 & 2871.

2843 is currently on loan at Redcar depot whilst 1440 has gone to Darlington depot in return.
[Image: 42892267622_8bfb0e5f82_k.jpg]Arriva North East: 1440 / NK10CFA by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr

04 Jul 2018, 12:33 am #6
Is there any particular reason as to why Arriva's Sapphire 22 service does not have double decker vehicles allocated to it?

Out of the four Sapphire services in the Durham city area (22, 24, 6 and 7), it is the only route not to have any Enviro 400 vehicles. Having said that, double deckers are usually allocated to the service at peak times (primarily the 24-branded and 6-branded Enviro 400 vehicles). The point is, if they frequently allocate double deckers to the 22 at peak times, why not brand them for the route like they have done for routes 24, 6 and 7?

Now, if I remember correctly, NK15 DZR (7539) had its branding for the 24 removed in February for a short period of time. However, it has since been restored - evident from the newly-looking vinyl stickers - and now includes a large ad for Dalton Park Shopping Centre on the rear face. So, I wonder if there is a reason why the 22's branding wasn't incorporated onto 7539 with the 24's, given the fact that the 22 and 24 have been cross-branded since the end of last year. It couldn't be down to a lack of space since the X21|X22 in Newcastle have a cross-branded graphic for both routes which fits comfortably onto the sides.

I don't know - just trying to create some conversation that you could engage in.

What are your thoughts? Smile
BeachBoy99
04 Jul 2018, 12:33 am #6

Is there any particular reason as to why Arriva's Sapphire 22 service does not have double decker vehicles allocated to it?

Out of the four Sapphire services in the Durham city area (22, 24, 6 and 7), it is the only route not to have any Enviro 400 vehicles. Having said that, double deckers are usually allocated to the service at peak times (primarily the 24-branded and 6-branded Enviro 400 vehicles). The point is, if they frequently allocate double deckers to the 22 at peak times, why not brand them for the route like they have done for routes 24, 6 and 7?

Now, if I remember correctly, NK15 DZR (7539) had its branding for the 24 removed in February for a short period of time. However, it has since been restored - evident from the newly-looking vinyl stickers - and now includes a large ad for Dalton Park Shopping Centre on the rear face. So, I wonder if there is a reason why the 22's branding wasn't incorporated onto 7539 with the 24's, given the fact that the 22 and 24 have been cross-branded since the end of last year. It couldn't be down to a lack of space since the X21|X22 in Newcastle have a cross-branded graphic for both routes which fits comfortably onto the sides.

I don't know - just trying to create some conversation that you could engage in.

Jimmi

04 Jul 2018, 1:05 am #7
(04 Jul 2018, 12:33 am)BeachBoy99 Is there any particular reason as to why Arriva's Sapphire 22 service does not have double decker vehicles allocated to it?

The 22 will unlikely to be busy enough to justify double deckers. 6 only has them due to the service interworking with scholar's contracts and college runs, 7 has them for busy peak loadings and I think 7538/7539 only ever ended up on the 24 because of Arriva changing their plans to upgrade the 22/24 to Sapphire spec before the 6 due to road works going on in Durham at the time, meaning the 22/24 ended up with the buses that were originally meant to go on the 6.

7539 is allocated to both the 22/24 as both services now interwork, on weekdays it usually seems to be on the same board which starts off the day on the peak X46 journey from Stanhope to Framwellgate Moor. Arriva are useless with route branding which is probably why it still only has 24 branding, at least one of the StreetLite's still only has branding for the 22 as well, the branding was not removed from 7539 at any point.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2018, 1:05 am #7

(04 Jul 2018, 12:33 am)BeachBoy99 Is there any particular reason as to why Arriva's Sapphire 22 service does not have double decker vehicles allocated to it?

The 22 will unlikely to be busy enough to justify double deckers. 6 only has them due to the service interworking with scholar's contracts and college runs, 7 has them for busy peak loadings and I think 7538/7539 only ever ended up on the 24 because of Arriva changing their plans to upgrade the 22/24 to Sapphire spec before the 6 due to road works going on in Durham at the time, meaning the 22/24 ended up with the buses that were originally meant to go on the 6.

7539 is allocated to both the 22/24 as both services now interwork, on weekdays it usually seems to be on the same board which starts off the day on the peak X46 journey from Stanhope to Framwellgate Moor. Arriva are useless with route branding which is probably why it still only has 24 branding, at least one of the StreetLite's still only has branding for the 22 as well, the branding was not removed from 7539 at any point.

04 Jul 2018, 11:57 am #8
(04 Jul 2018, 1:05 am)Jimmi The 22 will unlikely to be busy enough to justify double deckers. 6 only has them due to the service interworking with scholar's contracts and college runs, 7 has them for busy peak loadings and I think 7538/7539 only ever ended up on the 24 because of Arriva changing their plans to upgrade the 22/24 to Sapphire spec before the 6 due to road works going on in Durham at the time, meaning the 22/24 ended up with the buses that were originally meant to go on the 6.

Thanks for answering my question. Smile I agree that Arriva are useless when it comes to route branding, as opposed to Go North East which tends to be clear and consistent with artwork. Yes, I've also noticed that one of the Streetlite vehicles still holds branding solely for the 22 - drives me insane when I see it! To be fair, I think most of the Streetlite vehicles for the 22|24 look they are branded for a "2" service due to one of the '2' on 22, and '4' on 24, vinyl stickers being peeled off so quickly after the rebrand on at least two of them.

I must have been thinking of 7538 when referring to the vehicle that had the 24's branding removed - has it been branded with anything since?

I wish Arriva took more pride in their presentation like Go North East does, particularly on Sapphire which is intended to be a "premium" brand. It quite undermines the "premium" concept when their branding materials are evidently cheap and tacky, peeling off within days of being applied - unless that's down to the carelessness of the people who apply them or the surface they are stuck onto - I don't know.
BeachBoy99
04 Jul 2018, 11:57 am #8

(04 Jul 2018, 1:05 am)Jimmi The 22 will unlikely to be busy enough to justify double deckers. 6 only has them due to the service interworking with scholar's contracts and college runs, 7 has them for busy peak loadings and I think 7538/7539 only ever ended up on the 24 because of Arriva changing their plans to upgrade the 22/24 to Sapphire spec before the 6 due to road works going on in Durham at the time, meaning the 22/24 ended up with the buses that were originally meant to go on the 6.

Thanks for answering my question. Smile I agree that Arriva are useless when it comes to route branding, as opposed to Go North East which tends to be clear and consistent with artwork. Yes, I've also noticed that one of the Streetlite vehicles still holds branding solely for the 22 - drives me insane when I see it! To be fair, I think most of the Streetlite vehicles for the 22|24 look they are branded for a "2" service due to one of the '2' on 22, and '4' on 24, vinyl stickers being peeled off so quickly after the rebrand on at least two of them.

I must have been thinking of 7538 when referring to the vehicle that had the 24's branding removed - has it been branded with anything since?

I wish Arriva took more pride in their presentation like Go North East does, particularly on Sapphire which is intended to be a "premium" brand. It quite undermines the "premium" concept when their branding materials are evidently cheap and tacky, peeling off within days of being applied - unless that's down to the carelessness of the people who apply them or the surface they are stuck onto - I don't know.

Jimmi

04 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm #9
(04 Jul 2018, 11:57 am)BeachBoy99 Thanks for answering my question. Smile I agree that Arriva are useless when it comes to route branding, as opposed to Go North East which tends to be clear and consistent with artwork. Yes, I've also noticed that one of the Streetlite vehicles still holds branding solely for the 22 - drives me insane when I see it! To be fair, I think most of the Streetlite vehicles for the 22|24 look they are branded for a "2" service due to one of the '2' on 22, and '4' on 24, vinyl stickers being peeled off so quickly after the rebrand on at least two of them.

7538 is still unbranded at Darlington depot, wasn't branded as when it moved to Darlington it was sort of considered a Sapphire spare although it was allocated to the 5A board that works the morning run to Bishop Auckland College although after a few months the additional capacity wasn't required on that 5A run, so is now primarily used on the 7.

Can't remember but 7523 may have briefly ran at Belmont with no branding before being route branded for the 6. 7518 is unbranded still at Belmont.

The presentation of the Belmont Sapphires is appalling, missing and peeling branding and wrong coloured panels are clearly visible on a large number of them.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm #9

(04 Jul 2018, 11:57 am)BeachBoy99 Thanks for answering my question. Smile I agree that Arriva are useless when it comes to route branding, as opposed to Go North East which tends to be clear and consistent with artwork. Yes, I've also noticed that one of the Streetlite vehicles still holds branding solely for the 22 - drives me insane when I see it! To be fair, I think most of the Streetlite vehicles for the 22|24 look they are branded for a "2" service due to one of the '2' on 22, and '4' on 24, vinyl stickers being peeled off so quickly after the rebrand on at least two of them.

7538 is still unbranded at Darlington depot, wasn't branded as when it moved to Darlington it was sort of considered a Sapphire spare although it was allocated to the 5A board that works the morning run to Bishop Auckland College although after a few months the additional capacity wasn't required on that 5A run, so is now primarily used on the 7.

Can't remember but 7523 may have briefly ran at Belmont with no branding before being route branded for the 6. 7518 is unbranded still at Belmont.

The presentation of the Belmont Sapphires is appalling, missing and peeling branding and wrong coloured panels are clearly visible on a large number of them.

04 Jul 2018, 1:09 pm #10
(04 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm)Jimmi 7538 is still unbranded at Darlington depot, wasn't branded as when it moved to Darlington it was sort of considered a Sapphire spare although it was allocated to the 5A board that works the morning run to Bishop Auckland College although after a few months the additional capacity wasn't required on that 5A run, so is now primarily used on the 7.

Thanks for the quick response again. I'm quite interested in all of this stuff (very weird - I know). I've just recently left New College Durham after studying graphic design, and one of the units that was covered was based on something of our choice to present at an exhibition. I decided to rebrand all of Arriva's current liveries: Sapphire into Majestic, MAX into Express, Frequenta into Frequalink, and the Eco livery in Eco Network. I made miniature 3D card models so I really had to focus on all of the branding involved on the designs - if you'd like to see them, I'd be happy to attach some photos of the exhibition. I guess taking inspiration from the Belmont vehicles was a mistake then, considering they do look awful.

Another thing I was curious about was the 23... what on earth happened to that? One day it was a lovely, bright green eco-friendly brand and the next all of these Pulsars from Darlington get sent in to replace them... what is the reasoning behind this and are there any plans to upgrade the 23 to another brand? Lots of questions, I know. Sorry.
BeachBoy99
04 Jul 2018, 1:09 pm #10

(04 Jul 2018, 12:31 pm)Jimmi 7538 is still unbranded at Darlington depot, wasn't branded as when it moved to Darlington it was sort of considered a Sapphire spare although it was allocated to the 5A board that works the morning run to Bishop Auckland College although after a few months the additional capacity wasn't required on that 5A run, so is now primarily used on the 7.

Thanks for the quick response again. I'm quite interested in all of this stuff (very weird - I know). I've just recently left New College Durham after studying graphic design, and one of the units that was covered was based on something of our choice to present at an exhibition. I decided to rebrand all of Arriva's current liveries: Sapphire into Majestic, MAX into Express, Frequenta into Frequalink, and the Eco livery in Eco Network. I made miniature 3D card models so I really had to focus on all of the branding involved on the designs - if you'd like to see them, I'd be happy to attach some photos of the exhibition. I guess taking inspiration from the Belmont vehicles was a mistake then, considering they do look awful.

Another thing I was curious about was the 23... what on earth happened to that? One day it was a lovely, bright green eco-friendly brand and the next all of these Pulsars from Darlington get sent in to replace them... what is the reasoning behind this and are there any plans to upgrade the 23 to another brand? Lots of questions, I know. Sorry.

Jimmi

04 Jul 2018, 2:04 pm #11
(04 Jul 2018, 1:09 pm)BeachBoy99 Thanks for the quick response again. I'm quite interested in all of this stuff (very weird - I know). I've just recently left New College Durham after studying graphic design, and one of the units that was covered was based on something of our choice to present at an exhibition. I decided to rebrand all of Arriva's current liveries: Sapphire into Majestic, MAX into Express, Frequenta into Frequalink, and the Eco livery in Eco Network. I made miniature 3D card models so I really had to focus on all of the branding involved on the designs - if you'd like to see them, I'd be happy to attach some photos of the exhibition. I guess taking inspiration from the Belmont vehicles was a mistake then, considering they do look awful.

Don't worry, must admit I am very much the same when it comes to vehicle presentation etc. Arriva can be bad for replacing branding and whatnot at all depots, although other companies buses like GNE, Stagecoach and Scarlet Band can be the same at times although Arriva is arguably the worst.

23 StreetLite's went to Jesmond to join the other Eco Green examples in the fleet (excluding the two at Ashington). There was a rumor of the 23 going Sapphire but who knows if or when that's gonna happen.
Jimmi
04 Jul 2018, 2:04 pm #11

(04 Jul 2018, 1:09 pm)BeachBoy99 Thanks for the quick response again. I'm quite interested in all of this stuff (very weird - I know). I've just recently left New College Durham after studying graphic design, and one of the units that was covered was based on something of our choice to present at an exhibition. I decided to rebrand all of Arriva's current liveries: Sapphire into Majestic, MAX into Express, Frequenta into Frequalink, and the Eco livery in Eco Network. I made miniature 3D card models so I really had to focus on all of the branding involved on the designs - if you'd like to see them, I'd be happy to attach some photos of the exhibition. I guess taking inspiration from the Belmont vehicles was a mistake then, considering they do look awful.

Don't worry, must admit I am very much the same when it comes to vehicle presentation etc. Arriva can be bad for replacing branding and whatnot at all depots, although other companies buses like GNE, Stagecoach and Scarlet Band can be the same at times although Arriva is arguably the worst.

23 StreetLite's went to Jesmond to join the other Eco Green examples in the fleet (excluding the two at Ashington). There was a rumor of the 23 going Sapphire but who knows if or when that's gonna happen.

04 Jul 2018, 3:58 pm #12
(04 Jul 2018, 2:04 pm)Jimmi Don't worry, must admit I am very much the same when it comes to vehicle presentation etc. Arriva can be bad for replacing branding and whatnot at all depots, although other companies buses like GNE, Stagecoach and Scarlet Band can be the same at times although Arriva is arguably the worst.

Oh well. One day they might actually realise that appearance plays a big role in any company.

I'm sad to hear that about the 23. It would be good as Sapphire, although I actually really liked the Eco livery that it had - it was probably the only good-looking thing that used to come into Peterlee Big Grin The only service using the Eco livery that comes into Peterlee now is the X21, i.e. the Frequenta 2 as it might as well be now. Shame.
Edited 04 Jul 2018, 3:58 pm by BeachBoy99.
BeachBoy99
04 Jul 2018, 3:58 pm #12

(04 Jul 2018, 2:04 pm)Jimmi Don't worry, must admit I am very much the same when it comes to vehicle presentation etc. Arriva can be bad for replacing branding and whatnot at all depots, although other companies buses like GNE, Stagecoach and Scarlet Band can be the same at times although Arriva is arguably the worst.

Oh well. One day they might actually realise that appearance plays a big role in any company.

I'm sad to hear that about the 23. It would be good as Sapphire, although I actually really liked the Eco livery that it had - it was probably the only good-looking thing that used to come into Peterlee Big Grin The only service using the Eco livery that comes into Peterlee now is the X21, i.e. the Frequenta 2 as it might as well be now. Shame.

BusLoverMum

04 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm #13

Tbh, when there is a double deck vehicle on the 22, not many people go upstairs unless they are fit and strong and capable of coming back down the stairs on a winding street full of speed bumps before the driver misses their stop!

"although I actually really liked the Eco livery that it had - it was probably the only good-looking thing that used to come into Peterlee"

My husband still visits occasionally Big Grin
Edited 04 Jul 2018, 7:25 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
04 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm #13

Tbh, when there is a double deck vehicle on the 22, not many people go upstairs unless they are fit and strong and capable of coming back down the stairs on a winding street full of speed bumps before the driver misses their stop!

"although I actually really liked the Eco livery that it had - it was probably the only good-looking thing that used to come into Peterlee"

RobinHood

04 Jul 2018, 7:27 pm #14
The 22 and 24 branding was done to most vehicles but then abandoned, as the 23 will definately go Sapphire with it from September - all vehicles on 22/23/24 interworking at Hartlepool and Sunderland.

I presume they will all be rebranded then, into a standard.
RobinHood
04 Jul 2018, 7:27 pm #14

The 22 and 24 branding was done to most vehicles but then abandoned, as the 23 will definately go Sapphire with it from September - all vehicles on 22/23/24 interworking at Hartlepool and Sunderland.

04 Jul 2018, 8:29 pm #15
(04 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm)BusLoverMum Tbh, when there is a double deck vehicle on the 22, not many people go upstairs unless they are fit and strong and capable of coming back down the stairs on a winding street full of speed bumps before the driver misses their stop!

Haha nice one Big Grin

(04 Jul 2018, 7:27 pm)RobinHood The 22 and 24 branding was done to most vehicles but then abandoned, as the 23 will definately go Sapphire with it from September - all vehicles on 22/23/24 interworking at Hartlepool and Sunderland.

Well I'm excited to see what goes ahead with the 23 and the other two, as the three are routes that I currently use frequently.
Edited 04 Jul 2018, 8:30 pm by BeachBoy99.
BeachBoy99
04 Jul 2018, 8:29 pm #15

(04 Jul 2018, 7:23 pm)BusLoverMum Tbh, when there is a double deck vehicle on the 22, not many people go upstairs unless they are fit and strong and capable of coming back down the stairs on a winding street full of speed bumps before the driver misses their stop!

Haha nice one Big Grin

(04 Jul 2018, 7:27 pm)RobinHood The 22 and 24 branding was done to most vehicles but then abandoned, as the 23 will definately go Sapphire with it from September - all vehicles on 22/23/24 interworking at Hartlepool and Sunderland.

Well I'm excited to see what goes ahead with the 23 and the other two, as the three are routes that I currently use frequently.

beefcake

04 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm #16

If the buses are set to interwork at Hartlepool, is the 23 going to go back to Asda, or is the 24 going to terminate at Morrisons?
beefcake
04 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm #16

If the buses are set to interwork at Hartlepool, is the 23 going to go back to Asda, or is the 24 going to terminate at Morrisons?

Kuyoyo

04 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm #17
(04 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm)beefcake If the buses are set to interwork at Hartlepool, is the 23 going to go back to Asda, or is the 24 going to terminate at Morrisons?

23 being extended back to the Marina - believe the 22/23/24 will interwork at both ends so you’ll have so many buses doing 22/23/24 and so many doing 24/23/22.
Kuyoyo
04 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm #17

(04 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm)beefcake If the buses are set to interwork at Hartlepool, is the 23 going to go back to Asda, or is the 24 going to terminate at Morrisons?

23 being extended back to the Marina - believe the 22/23/24 will interwork at both ends so you’ll have so many buses doing 22/23/24 and so many doing 24/23/22.

Cock Robin

05 Jul 2018, 3:20 pm #18

Totally agree. Look at the state of the Streetlites in East Cleveland with varying amounts of branding missing.

More buses getting converted then?
Edited 05 Jul 2018, 3:22 pm by Cock Robin.
Cock Robin
05 Jul 2018, 3:20 pm #18

Totally agree. Look at the state of the Streetlites in East Cleveland with varying amounts of branding missing.

More buses getting converted then?

BusLoverMum

05 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm #19
(04 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm)Kuyoyo 23 being extended back to the Marina - believe the 22/23/24 will interwork at both ends so you’ll have so many buses doing 22/23/24 and so many doing 24/23/22.

That'll be a long stint for the drivers, particularly if there's delays and they don't have time to nip out for a wee at Sunderland!
BusLoverMum
05 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm #19

(04 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm)Kuyoyo 23 being extended back to the Marina - believe the 22/23/24 will interwork at both ends so you’ll have so many buses doing 22/23/24 and so many doing 24/23/22.

That'll be a long stint for the drivers, particularly if there's delays and they don't have time to nip out for a wee at Sunderland!

S830OFT

05 Jul 2018, 5:39 pm #20
(05 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm)BusLoverMum That'll be a long stint for the drivers, particularly if there's delays and they don't have time to nip out for a wee at Sunderland!

Just as bad as a X21 Darlo to Sunderland and back.

S830OFT
05 Jul 2018, 5:39 pm #20

(05 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm)BusLoverMum That'll be a long stint for the drivers, particularly if there's delays and they don't have time to nip out for a wee at Sunderland!

Just as bad as a X21 Darlo to Sunderland and back.

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average