Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Cracks found on Hitachi Trains!!

Cracks found on Hitachi Trains!!

Cracks found on Hitachi Trains!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Storx

10 May 2021, 10:16 am #21
Could be worse, could be GWR's response which is even worse, don't have a clue what's going on with them today.

Both companies need to be honest here though as they're going on as if it's going to be gone in a few days so just defer your journey when in reality this could be going on for weeks. GWR has 3/94 trains on the tracks today supposedly it's not just a small 10 minute fix either. LNER are doing a bit better but believe they're planning to get some Class 91's + MK4's back into service asap to fill gaps, only to Doncaster though.
Storx
10 May 2021, 10:16 am #21

Could be worse, could be GWR's response which is even worse, don't have a clue what's going on with them today.

Both companies need to be honest here though as they're going on as if it's going to be gone in a few days so just defer your journey when in reality this could be going on for weeks. GWR has 3/94 trains on the tracks today supposedly it's not just a small 10 minute fix either. LNER are doing a bit better but believe they're planning to get some Class 91's + MK4's back into service asap to fill gaps, only to Doncaster though.

mb134

11 May 2021, 2:31 pm #22
91110 has returned to service today on the ECML. It worked the 0630 Bradford to KGX this morning, and should spend the rest of the day on KGX-LDS runs.

91111 is apparently due to follow later this week, with several more still available to LNER according to this post on RailUK.
mb134
11 May 2021, 2:31 pm #22

91110 has returned to service today on the ECML. It worked the 0630 Bradford to KGX this morning, and should spend the rest of the day on KGX-LDS runs.

91111 is apparently due to follow later this week, with several more still available to LNER according to this post on RailUK.

GNE6312

11 May 2021, 3:59 pm #23
(10 May 2021, 10:16 am)Storx Could be worse, could be GWR's response which is even worse, don't have a clue what's going on with them today.

Would have thought they'd priorities getting the 91s on their flagship Edinburgh to London Routes.
GNE6312
11 May 2021, 3:59 pm #23

(10 May 2021, 10:16 am)Storx Could be worse, could be GWR's response which is even worse, don't have a clue what's going on with them today.

Would have thought they'd priorities getting the 91s on their flagship Edinburgh to London Routes.

mb134

11 May 2021, 7:16 pm #24
(11 May 2021, 3:59 pm)GNE6312 Would have thought they'd priorities getting the 91s on their flagship Edinburgh to London Routes.

Surely they'd want their new trains on their 'flagship' route? 

Regardless, I'd imagine there'd be issues with crew competency and maintenance at Craigentinny and Heaton. From memory, and I could be wrong here, I don't believe there were any plans to have 91s serve Newcastle/Edinburgh again, with the plan being to use them on the Yorkshire runs.
mb134
11 May 2021, 7:16 pm #24

(11 May 2021, 3:59 pm)GNE6312 Would have thought they'd priorities getting the 91s on their flagship Edinburgh to London Routes.

Surely they'd want their new trains on their 'flagship' route? 

Regardless, I'd imagine there'd be issues with crew competency and maintenance at Craigentinny and Heaton. From memory, and I could be wrong here, I don't believe there were any plans to have 91s serve Newcastle/Edinburgh again, with the plan being to use them on the Yorkshire runs.

11 May 2021, 8:33 pm #25
(11 May 2021, 7:16 pm)mb134 Surely they'd want their new trains on their 'flagship' route? 

That's correct, the majority of crew that sign north of Newcastle are only competent on Azumas.
omnicity4659
11 May 2021, 8:33 pm #25

(11 May 2021, 7:16 pm)mb134 Surely they'd want their new trains on their 'flagship' route? 

That's correct, the majority of crew that sign north of Newcastle are only competent on Azumas.

Andreos1

13 May 2021, 10:15 am #26
https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-...rous-tests

When is a crack not a problem crack?
When it's had rigorous tests over a couple of days apparently.

Trains with cracks to return to service.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 May 2021, 10:15 am #26

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-...rous-tests

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

14 May 2021, 9:04 am #27
(13 May 2021, 10:15 am)Andreos1 https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-...rous-tests

They'll need to have worked out what causes the cracks, how fast they get bigger, and what might happen if the crack gets too big.  Once they've done all that - which is what's been happening over the last few days - they'll be able to look at each train individually and define a programme of checks for it based on what size the cracks are already.  (I've seen it stated that daily checks are likely).  Any train which already has cracks over a certain size won't be coming back until it's fixed.  Trains with smaller cracks can be used provided the crack doesn't reach that particular size, and when it does they'll have another unusable until fixed train on their hands.  And I've not seen anywhere yet that they actually have a long term fix plan, although the designers will be working hard to establish one if they don't yet have it!
Ianthegoon
14 May 2021, 9:04 am #27

(13 May 2021, 10:15 am)Andreos1 https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-...rous-tests

They'll need to have worked out what causes the cracks, how fast they get bigger, and what might happen if the crack gets too big.  Once they've done all that - which is what's been happening over the last few days - they'll be able to look at each train individually and define a programme of checks for it based on what size the cracks are already.  (I've seen it stated that daily checks are likely).  Any train which already has cracks over a certain size won't be coming back until it's fixed.  Trains with smaller cracks can be used provided the crack doesn't reach that particular size, and when it does they'll have another unusable until fixed train on their hands.  And I've not seen anywhere yet that they actually have a long term fix plan, although the designers will be working hard to establish one if they don't yet have it!

14 May 2021, 12:05 pm #28
(14 May 2021, 9:04 am)Ianthegoon They'll need to have worked out what causes the cracks, how fast they get bigger, and what might happen if the crack gets too big.  Once they've done all that - which is what's been happening over the last few days - they'll be able to look at each train individually and define a programme of checks for it based on what size the cracks are already.  (I've seen it stated that daily checks are likely).  Any train which already has cracks over a certain size won't be coming back until it's fixed.  Trains with smaller cracks can be used provided the crack doesn't reach that particular size, and when it does they'll have another unusable until fixed train on their hands.  And I've not seen anywhere yet that they actually have a long term fix plan, although the designers will be working hard to establish one if they don't yet have it!

It's the same with houses, not every crack is bad, some are just the building settling, some have been there over 100 years and haven't changed.
streetdeckfan
14 May 2021, 12:05 pm #28

(14 May 2021, 9:04 am)Ianthegoon They'll need to have worked out what causes the cracks, how fast they get bigger, and what might happen if the crack gets too big.  Once they've done all that - which is what's been happening over the last few days - they'll be able to look at each train individually and define a programme of checks for it based on what size the cracks are already.  (I've seen it stated that daily checks are likely).  Any train which already has cracks over a certain size won't be coming back until it's fixed.  Trains with smaller cracks can be used provided the crack doesn't reach that particular size, and when it does they'll have another unusable until fixed train on their hands.  And I've not seen anywhere yet that they actually have a long term fix plan, although the designers will be working hard to establish one if they don't yet have it!

It's the same with houses, not every crack is bad, some are just the building settling, some have been there over 100 years and haven't changed.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average