Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (181) Previous 158 59 60181 Next
Jimmi

24 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm #1,161
(24 Nov 2015, 4:55 pm)DaveyBowyer That's different. The management were wrong on this instance. Deliberate late running isn't such a problem on longer and less frequent routes and late running is more down to the traffic conditions. It's more of a problem on the more frequent routes. 35 mins late on the X20 is very noticable. But running 15 minutes late on the X21/X22/X10/X11/308  and any others isn't very noticable. These can be easily be regulated owing to their frequency. And to be fair, Ashington depot isn't such a problem and I've only experienced one late runner from there for such reason. It's another certain depot beginning with a B where I've noticed a small minority of drivers not making an effort.

I can't see how you think deliberate late running is not as big as problem on a frequent route rather than just limited frequency services, I'd sharp notice late running on the 7 which has a 15 minute frequency. I know it's obviously worse on the likes of the X20 but still.

(24 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm)mb134 I could point out some drivers from that depot who are late (at least 5 minutes) pretty much every time I get on their bus. There are common themes, driving at 15-20 in a 30, taking forever to pull away from stops (as in not even attempting to pull away for quite a while after the passenger boards), being VERY hesitant, taking forever with the ticket machine etc.

So, it seems while they punish drivers who aren't intentionally running late, they let others get away with it.

Do drivers at other Arriva depots tend to wait for passengers to sit down before pulling away from a stop like most of Darlington depot's drivers tend to do? Although it was typical the one driver I've had recently that didn't do this was the one I had on the 5 to Darlington yesterday where I had to climb over someone's dog which was sat in the middle of the bloody aisle.
Jimmi
24 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm #1,161

(24 Nov 2015, 4:55 pm)DaveyBowyer That's different. The management were wrong on this instance. Deliberate late running isn't such a problem on longer and less frequent routes and late running is more down to the traffic conditions. It's more of a problem on the more frequent routes. 35 mins late on the X20 is very noticable. But running 15 minutes late on the X21/X22/X10/X11/308  and any others isn't very noticable. These can be easily be regulated owing to their frequency. And to be fair, Ashington depot isn't such a problem and I've only experienced one late runner from there for such reason. It's another certain depot beginning with a B where I've noticed a small minority of drivers not making an effort.

I can't see how you think deliberate late running is not as big as problem on a frequent route rather than just limited frequency services, I'd sharp notice late running on the 7 which has a 15 minute frequency. I know it's obviously worse on the likes of the X20 but still.

(24 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm)mb134 I could point out some drivers from that depot who are late (at least 5 minutes) pretty much every time I get on their bus. There are common themes, driving at 15-20 in a 30, taking forever to pull away from stops (as in not even attempting to pull away for quite a while after the passenger boards), being VERY hesitant, taking forever with the ticket machine etc.

So, it seems while they punish drivers who aren't intentionally running late, they let others get away with it.

Do drivers at other Arriva depots tend to wait for passengers to sit down before pulling away from a stop like most of Darlington depot's drivers tend to do? Although it was typical the one driver I've had recently that didn't do this was the one I had on the 5 to Darlington yesterday where I had to climb over someone's dog which was sat in the middle of the bloody aisle.

mb134

24 Nov 2015, 5:34 pm #1,162
(24 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm)Jimmi Do drivers at other Arriva depots tend to wait for passengers to sit down before pulling away from a stop like most of Darlington depot's drivers tend to do? Although it was typical the one driver I've had recently that didn't do this was the one I had on the 5 to Darlington yesterday where I had to climb over someone's dog which was sat in the middle of the bloody aisle.

Most Ashington drivers I get don't, however pull away in a smooth manner. With those that run late, and waste time at bus stops, the passenger has sat down, finished all seven Harry Potter books, and had a nap before the driver even thinks about moving...
mb134
24 Nov 2015, 5:34 pm #1,162

(24 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm)Jimmi Do drivers at other Arriva depots tend to wait for passengers to sit down before pulling away from a stop like most of Darlington depot's drivers tend to do? Although it was typical the one driver I've had recently that didn't do this was the one I had on the 5 to Darlington yesterday where I had to climb over someone's dog which was sat in the middle of the bloody aisle.

Most Ashington drivers I get don't, however pull away in a smooth manner. With those that run late, and waste time at bus stops, the passenger has sat down, finished all seven Harry Potter books, and had a nap before the driver even thinks about moving...

tyresmoke

24 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm #1,163
(24 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm)Jimmi I can't see how you think deliberate late running is not as big as problem on a frequent route rather than just limited frequency services, I'd sharp notice late running on the 7 which has a 15 minute frequency. I know it's obviously worse on the likes of the X20 but still.

Company policy dictates that you should wait for all passengers to be seated or securely standing before moving away. Of course when you are running late you will often find drivers pulling away before this, putting themselves at (admittedly low) risk of action being taken should anything happen. That's why some drivers will stick to the rules, especially if they are on a disciplinary tight rope should we say.

Late running occurs every day on every service, however there is clearly a divide between certain depots that is obvious when you see statistics across various services. Anything above 5 minutes late is counted as late on our statistics and counts against a drivers punctuality stats. I myself have dropped about 10% in the last few months... Purely because of the amount of roadworks on our route, I just can't be bothered any more pushing to try and stay on time when there's 3 or 4 sets of temporary lights where you can lose 2-3 minutes each time.
tyresmoke
24 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm #1,163

(24 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm)Jimmi I can't see how you think deliberate late running is not as big as problem on a frequent route rather than just limited frequency services, I'd sharp notice late running on the 7 which has a 15 minute frequency. I know it's obviously worse on the likes of the X20 but still.

Company policy dictates that you should wait for all passengers to be seated or securely standing before moving away. Of course when you are running late you will often find drivers pulling away before this, putting themselves at (admittedly low) risk of action being taken should anything happen. That's why some drivers will stick to the rules, especially if they are on a disciplinary tight rope should we say.

Late running occurs every day on every service, however there is clearly a divide between certain depots that is obvious when you see statistics across various services. Anything above 5 minutes late is counted as late on our statistics and counts against a drivers punctuality stats. I myself have dropped about 10% in the last few months... Purely because of the amount of roadworks on our route, I just can't be bothered any more pushing to try and stay on time when there's 3 or 4 sets of temporary lights where you can lose 2-3 minutes each time.

L469 YVK

24 Nov 2015, 11:05 pm #1,164
(24 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm)tyresmoke Company policy dictates that you should wait for all passengers to be seated or securely standing before moving away. Of course when you are running late you will often find drivers pulling away before this, putting themselves at (admittedly low) risk of action being taken should anything happen. That's why some drivers will stick to the rules, especially if they are on a disciplinary tight rope should we say.

That's absolutely fine. The problem isn't with drivers who run late by:
- Driving to road and traffic conditions within the speed limit and adjusting their speed appropriately (speeding up on faster sections of road where safe to do so or slowing down where needed for safety).
- Drivers waiting for punters to be seated.
- Drivers who get stuck in traffic or a defective vehicle.
- Extreme Weather.

The problem is with drivers who:
- Drive deliberately slow where conditions allow them to go faster (40 on an NSL dual carriage way, 20 in a 30 zone, 25-30 in a 40 zone) when already running late. Now the speed limits I have there aren't always targets (heavy traffic, counrty roads, ice, torrential rain and even standees to an extent etc) but where safe and if time is needed to be made up, then drivers should try and aim for the speed limit where possible to recover time. I'll give you an example:

Unacceptable late running:
- 17:40 X10 from M.Boro to Eldon Sq arrives at Gateshead 10 minutes late and the new driver comes on. Driver gets into Eldon Sq after the changeover at 19:15 and departs 10 minutes late at 19:25.

- The above driver then hits the A19 at roughly 19:50 on a calm and clear night with good road, traffic and weather conditions but despite the B9s being capable of 57mph (or even 62 if 6043-6048 are set to allow this), the driver only decides to do 45-50mph despite running 10 minutes late.

Acceptable late running:
- Lashing down with rain, slight winds and the driver decides to do 45-50mph to keep the vehicle under control and keep the passengers safe.

A driver putting him or herself, passengers or other road users in danger to make up time is bang out of order, but a driver failing to make up time where safe and legal to do so is unacceptable. Now what you're telling me is completely acceptable and you're making an effort to run to time despite the roadworks etc. It's the VERY small minority who do such things that cause problems, not the majority of honest hardworking lads and lasses like you and many other drivers on this forum who do their job and keep the punters happy and safe whilst trying to get them to their destinations on time in sometimes, pretty horrendous road and traffic conditions.
L469 YVK
24 Nov 2015, 11:05 pm #1,164

(24 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm)tyresmoke Company policy dictates that you should wait for all passengers to be seated or securely standing before moving away. Of course when you are running late you will often find drivers pulling away before this, putting themselves at (admittedly low) risk of action being taken should anything happen. That's why some drivers will stick to the rules, especially if they are on a disciplinary tight rope should we say.

That's absolutely fine. The problem isn't with drivers who run late by:
- Driving to road and traffic conditions within the speed limit and adjusting their speed appropriately (speeding up on faster sections of road where safe to do so or slowing down where needed for safety).
- Drivers waiting for punters to be seated.
- Drivers who get stuck in traffic or a defective vehicle.
- Extreme Weather.

The problem is with drivers who:
- Drive deliberately slow where conditions allow them to go faster (40 on an NSL dual carriage way, 20 in a 30 zone, 25-30 in a 40 zone) when already running late. Now the speed limits I have there aren't always targets (heavy traffic, counrty roads, ice, torrential rain and even standees to an extent etc) but where safe and if time is needed to be made up, then drivers should try and aim for the speed limit where possible to recover time. I'll give you an example:

Unacceptable late running:
- 17:40 X10 from M.Boro to Eldon Sq arrives at Gateshead 10 minutes late and the new driver comes on. Driver gets into Eldon Sq after the changeover at 19:15 and departs 10 minutes late at 19:25.

- The above driver then hits the A19 at roughly 19:50 on a calm and clear night with good road, traffic and weather conditions but despite the B9s being capable of 57mph (or even 62 if 6043-6048 are set to allow this), the driver only decides to do 45-50mph despite running 10 minutes late.

Acceptable late running:
- Lashing down with rain, slight winds and the driver decides to do 45-50mph to keep the vehicle under control and keep the passengers safe.

A driver putting him or herself, passengers or other road users in danger to make up time is bang out of order, but a driver failing to make up time where safe and legal to do so is unacceptable. Now what you're telling me is completely acceptable and you're making an effort to run to time despite the roadworks etc. It's the VERY small minority who do such things that cause problems, not the majority of honest hardworking lads and lasses like you and many other drivers on this forum who do their job and keep the punters happy and safe whilst trying to get them to their destinations on time in sometimes, pretty horrendous road and traffic conditions.

Jimmi

25 Nov 2015, 12:48 am #1,165
Not sticking to the timetable is not just achieved by running late, but also running early... Most days when I get a Darlington depot operated Sapphire 7 the drivers nearly always wait at timing points and the service keeps pretty much on-time, yet sometimes if I get a Belmont Sapphire 7 run this doesn't happen, can't tell you how many times I have witnessed Belmont's 7's not waiting at timing points with me even missing 7's on occasions due to early running, the timing points on their runs seem to be Darlington Town Centre, Newton Aycliffe Town Centre, Ferryhill Market Place and Durham Bus Station, no word of a lie there has been occasions where I've boarded a Belmont 7 in Newton Aycliffe heading in the direction of Durham and on some quiet morning journeys the bus has arrived in Ferryhill in the region of 10 MINUTES EARLY! owing to little passengers boarding/alighting but mainly down to not waiting time at Woodham Stag Lane and Chilton Wheatsheaf.
Jimmi
25 Nov 2015, 12:48 am #1,165

Not sticking to the timetable is not just achieved by running late, but also running early... Most days when I get a Darlington depot operated Sapphire 7 the drivers nearly always wait at timing points and the service keeps pretty much on-time, yet sometimes if I get a Belmont Sapphire 7 run this doesn't happen, can't tell you how many times I have witnessed Belmont's 7's not waiting at timing points with me even missing 7's on occasions due to early running, the timing points on their runs seem to be Darlington Town Centre, Newton Aycliffe Town Centre, Ferryhill Market Place and Durham Bus Station, no word of a lie there has been occasions where I've boarded a Belmont 7 in Newton Aycliffe heading in the direction of Durham and on some quiet morning journeys the bus has arrived in Ferryhill in the region of 10 MINUTES EARLY! owing to little passengers boarding/alighting but mainly down to not waiting time at Woodham Stag Lane and Chilton Wheatsheaf.

Cock Robin

25 Nov 2015, 9:57 am #1,166
I missed an evening X12 a few months back which left Stockton several minutes early towars M'bro. An hourly service and the only bus I could use with my Arriva ticket.
Cock Robin
25 Nov 2015, 9:57 am #1,166

I missed an evening X12 a few months back which left Stockton several minutes early towars M'bro. An hourly service and the only bus I could use with my Arriva ticket.

Michael

27 Nov 2015, 3:52 pm #1,167
PB0002032/11 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Blyth and Newcastle given service number X7 effective from 24-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/252 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Blyth and Newcastle given service number X8 effective from 24-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Nov 2015, 3:52 pm #1,167

PB0002032/11 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Blyth and Newcastle given service number X7 effective from 24-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/252 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Blyth and Newcastle given service number X8 effective from 24-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NK05 GWZ

Scania OmniCity CN94UB

27 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm #1,168
Appeared on VOSA today:

PB0002717/16 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Durham and New Brancepeth given service number 48 effective from 31-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.
NK05 GWZ
27 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm #1,168

Appeared on VOSA today:

PB0002717/16 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Durham and New Brancepeth given service number 48 effective from 31-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

29 Nov 2015, 11:56 am #1,169
The trial period of service 1 extending to Cresswell on Sundays has been extended to May 2016.
omnicity4659
29 Nov 2015, 11:56 am #1,169

The trial period of service 1 extending to Cresswell on Sundays has been extended to May 2016.

Lm2606

29 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm #1,170
(29 Nov 2015, 11:56 am)GX03 SVC The trial period of service 1 extending to Cresswell on Sundays has been extended to May 2016.

Notices put on buses allocated to the route.
Lm2606
29 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm #1,170

(29 Nov 2015, 11:56 am)GX03 SVC The trial period of service 1 extending to Cresswell on Sundays has been extended to May 2016.

Notices put on buses allocated to the route.

Jimmi

30 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm #1,171
PB0002032/467 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Newcastle and Blyth given service number X30 effective from 24-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.
Jimmi
30 Nov 2015, 1:35 pm #1,171

PB0002032/467 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Newcastle and Blyth given service number X30 effective from 24-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

tyresmoke

06 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm #1,173
(06 Dec 2015, 12:40 pm)Jimmi New timetables for Durham services 46 and 48 from January 31st 2016.

46:  http://www.cartogold.co.uk/durham/pdf/Fo...ANE_46.pdf

48:  http://www.cartogold.co.uk/durham/pdf/Fo...ANE_48.pdf

Looks like mainly minor timing changes to morning and evening journeys.
Points worth noting are the 1450 46 from Durham will now extend to Tow Law, 1820 Durham-Crook extended to Low Mown Meadows
New Sunday 0815 Durham-Crook and 0846 return, an hour earlier than now.
48 again is mostly timing changes especially at peak times with departures more spread out to give more running time. The current 1802 from Durham is withdrawn.
tyresmoke
06 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm #1,173

(06 Dec 2015, 12:40 pm)Jimmi New timetables for Durham services 46 and 48 from January 31st 2016.

46:  http://www.cartogold.co.uk/durham/pdf/Fo...ANE_46.pdf

48:  http://www.cartogold.co.uk/durham/pdf/Fo...ANE_48.pdf

Looks like mainly minor timing changes to morning and evening journeys.
Points worth noting are the 1450 46 from Durham will now extend to Tow Law, 1820 Durham-Crook extended to Low Mown Meadows
48 again is mostly timing changes especially at peak times with departures more spread out to give more running time. The current 1802 from Durham is withdrawn.

citaro5284

06 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm #1,174
(06 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm)tyresmoke Looks like mainly minor timing changes to morning and evening journeys.

I thought it was only GNE who withdrew services.........or that is what certain people would like to make you think.
citaro5284
06 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm #1,174

(06 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm)tyresmoke Looks like mainly minor timing changes to morning and evening journeys.

I thought it was only GNE who withdrew services.........or that is what certain people would like to make you think.

06 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm #1,175
(06 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm)citaro5284 I thought it was only GNE who withdrew services.........or that is what certain people would like to make you think.

Nothing like a bit of back biting eh?

What service is being withdrawn may I ask?  As far as I can see that is a TRIP being withdrawn, whereas SERVICE 48 is continuing to operate?

I mean really, a person of your position should know his terminology better?
palatine3833
06 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm #1,175

(06 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm)citaro5284 I thought it was only GNE who withdrew services.........or that is what certain people would like to make you think.

Nothing like a bit of back biting eh?

What service is being withdrawn may I ask?  As far as I can see that is a TRIP being withdrawn, whereas SERVICE 48 is continuing to operate?

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Dec 2015, 2:57 pm #1,176
(06 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm)palatine3833 Nothing like a bit of back biting eh?

Doesn't deter from the fact that Arriva, like Go North East, withdraw (or re-time so that they're earlier) certain trips, if the demand isn't there for them, contrary to what has been suggested in the past.
Dan
06 Dec 2015, 2:57 pm #1,176

Doesn't deter from the fact that Arriva, like Go North East, withdraw (or re-time so that they're earlier) certain trips, if the demand isn't there for them, contrary to what has been suggested in the past.

S813 FVK

06 Dec 2015, 3:04 pm #1,177

Ok...you can go and correct the following then:

While it is a different type of transport altogether, listen to the following video which was posted in the 'Tyne and Wear Metro' thread earlier today.

If you listen closely, she says "xx:xx Tyne and Wear Metro/Northern SERVICE to xxx", identifying each separate journey as a service as opposed to trip/journey. Because of this, I don't see any wrongdoing when citaro has used the term 'service' when only one trip has been withdrawn.
S813 FVK
06 Dec 2015, 3:04 pm #1,177

Ok...you can go and correct the following then:

While it is a different type of transport altogether, listen to the following video which was posted in the 'Tyne and Wear Metro' thread earlier today.

If you listen closely, she says "xx:xx Tyne and Wear Metro/Northern SERVICE to xxx", identifying each separate journey as a service as opposed to trip/journey. Because of this, I don't see any wrongdoing when citaro has used the term 'service' when only one trip has been withdrawn.

07 Dec 2015, 12:44 am #1,178
Pedantic. Arriva have extended several 46 journeys, expanding upon the recent extension of the 46 to Tow Law, plus an extra, earlier Sunday morning journey to/from Crook. But they've withdrawn one one 48 trip!!! I'm never an Arriva fan, but I would say on balance pretty positive changes.
Greg in Weardale
07 Dec 2015, 12:44 am #1,178

Pedantic. Arriva have extended several 46 journeys, expanding upon the recent extension of the 46 to Tow Law, plus an extra, earlier Sunday morning journey to/from Crook. But they've withdrawn one one 48 trip!!! I'm never an Arriva fan, but I would say on balance pretty positive changes.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Dec 2015, 6:06 am #1,179
(07 Dec 2015, 12:44 am)Greg in Weardale Pedantic. Arriva have extended several 46 journeys, expanding upon the recent extension of the 46 to Tow Law, plus an extra, earlier Sunday morning journey to/from Crook. But they've withdrawn one one 48 trip!!! I'm never an Arriva fan, but I would say on balance pretty positive changes.

Hopefully we can start looking at Go North East's service changes with a balanced view, too?

Some are far too quick to point out all the negatives instead of looking at the positives.
Dan
07 Dec 2015, 6:06 am #1,179

(07 Dec 2015, 12:44 am)Greg in Weardale Pedantic. Arriva have extended several 46 journeys, expanding upon the recent extension of the 46 to Tow Law, plus an extra, earlier Sunday morning journey to/from Crook. But they've withdrawn one one 48 trip!!! I'm never an Arriva fan, but I would say on balance pretty positive changes.

Hopefully we can start looking at Go North East's service changes with a balanced view, too?

Some are far too quick to point out all the negatives instead of looking at the positives.

07 Dec 2015, 8:38 am #1,180
Yes, a balanced view of GNE service changes would be welcome, without staff trying to make out negative alterations are in fact positive and everything Arriva does is bad (as above). Just one example: attempting to justify the cancellation of (advertised) through services between Lanchester and Newcastle; I could go on with a long list, but won't bore you (and X3 would have to be at the  top). Here we have Arriva improvements being criticised whereas GNE cuts are often praised.
Greg in Weardale
07 Dec 2015, 8:38 am #1,180

Yes, a balanced view of GNE service changes would be welcome, without staff trying to make out negative alterations are in fact positive and everything Arriva does is bad (as above). Just one example: attempting to justify the cancellation of (advertised) through services between Lanchester and Newcastle; I could go on with a long list, but won't bore you (and X3 would have to be at the  top). Here we have Arriva improvements being criticised whereas GNE cuts are often praised.

Pages (181) Previous 158 59 60181 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average