Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (181) Previous 1136 137 138181 Next
peter

27 May 2022, 4:42 pm #2,721
(27 May 2022, 4:22 pm)Rob44 changes f9or north tyneside and newcastle from 5th June. Looks like the 44 and 45 will only have 1 bus per hour to toon and another bus in that hour if they fancey going to toon via dininngton!

As with Darlington it's a temporary timetable changes due to driver shortages.

The 43 will be reduced to every 20 minutes Newcastle to Cramlington

The 44/45 will be revised to run a combined every 20 minute frequency. One bus an hour will go out to Dinnington as a 44 back to Newcastle as a 45, another will go out to Dinnington as a 45 back to Newcastle as a 44 and the last will go in and out as a 44. So the 44 still has two buses an hour, but now a 40/20 split rather than every 30 minutes, the 45 like you say will have one bus but passengers do have the option of catching the outbound bus that will go back inbound as a 44.

Full details here: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/...north-east
peter
27 May 2022, 4:42 pm #2,721

(27 May 2022, 4:22 pm)Rob44 changes f9or north tyneside and newcastle from 5th June. Looks like the 44 and 45 will only have 1 bus per hour to toon and another bus in that hour if they fancey going to toon via dininngton!

As with Darlington it's a temporary timetable changes due to driver shortages.

The 44/45 will be revised to run a combined every 20 minute frequency. One bus an hour will go out to Dinnington as a 44 back to Newcastle as a 45, another will go out to Dinnington as a 45 back to Newcastle as a 44 and the last will go in and out as a 44. So the 44 still has two buses an hour, but now a 40/20 split rather than every 30 minutes, the 45 like you say will have one bus but passengers do have the option of catching the outbound bus that will go back inbound as a 44.

Rob44

27 May 2022, 4:46 pm #2,722
(27 May 2022, 4:42 pm)peter As with Darlington it's a temporary timetable changes due to driver shortages.

So basically a sunday service 7 days a week with a few early buses ( hopefully)
Rob44
27 May 2022, 4:46 pm #2,722

(27 May 2022, 4:42 pm)peter As with Darlington it's a temporary timetable changes due to driver shortages.

So basically a sunday service 7 days a week with a few early buses ( hopefully)

peter

27 May 2022, 4:56 pm #2,723
(27 May 2022, 4:46 pm)Rob44 So basically a sunday service 7 days a week with a few early buses ( hopefully)

Not really, the 43 runs half hourly on Sundays, it's still gonna run every 20 minutes (with the hourly Morpeth extension), and the 44 only runs hourly on Sundays but it's still running twice per hour as it does currently. The timetable is on Nexus already and there's still early buses. You're only losing one 43 to Cramlington and one 45 to Dinnington per hour.
peter
27 May 2022, 4:56 pm #2,723

(27 May 2022, 4:46 pm)Rob44 So basically a sunday service 7 days a week with a few early buses ( hopefully)

Not really, the 43 runs half hourly on Sundays, it's still gonna run every 20 minutes (with the hourly Morpeth extension), and the 44 only runs hourly on Sundays but it's still running twice per hour as it does currently. The timetable is on Nexus already and there's still early buses. You're only losing one 43 to Cramlington and one 45 to Dinnington per hour.

Rob44

27 May 2022, 5:21 pm #2,724
cheers for that. When i read you could get a through ticket to get to town via brunswick ( or via Hazlerigg) i just assumed it was 2 per hour but it actuall looks like 3 per hour in hazlering and 2 per hour in brunswick?? That seems like more buses than less lol
Rob44
27 May 2022, 5:21 pm #2,724

cheers for that. When i read you could get a through ticket to get to town via brunswick ( or via Hazlerigg) i just assumed it was 2 per hour but it actuall looks like 3 per hour in hazlering and 2 per hour in brunswick?? That seems like more buses than less lol

Shrek

27 May 2022, 8:21 pm #2,725
I heard a month ago that Go Ahead had been pushing other companies to make cuts that would save Arriva/Stagecoach money that would also help GNE when they made their huge cuts. Basically they're hoping other companies making cuts will save their own bad PR. This was one of the moves they'd been pushing for. Very clever by GNE management. Make other areas suffer so you can maximise profits. I respect and hate your management in equal degree.
Shrek
27 May 2022, 8:21 pm #2,725

I heard a month ago that Go Ahead had been pushing other companies to make cuts that would save Arriva/Stagecoach money that would also help GNE when they made their huge cuts. Basically they're hoping other companies making cuts will save their own bad PR. This was one of the moves they'd been pushing for. Very clever by GNE management. Make other areas suffer so you can maximise profits. I respect and hate your management in equal degree.

mb134

27 May 2022, 8:31 pm #2,726
(27 May 2022, 8:21 pm)Shrek I heard a month ago that Go Ahead had been pushing other companies to make cuts that would save Arriva/Stagecoach money that would also help GNE when they made their huge cuts. Basically they're hoping other companies making cuts will save their own bad PR. This was one of the moves they'd been pushing for. Very clever by GNE management. Make other areas suffer so you can maximise profits. I respect and hate your management in equal degree.

These are stated to be temporary cuts due to the driver shortage, not sure how this wild GAG conspiracy comes into it?
mb134
27 May 2022, 8:31 pm #2,726

(27 May 2022, 8:21 pm)Shrek I heard a month ago that Go Ahead had been pushing other companies to make cuts that would save Arriva/Stagecoach money that would also help GNE when they made their huge cuts. Basically they're hoping other companies making cuts will save their own bad PR. This was one of the moves they'd been pushing for. Very clever by GNE management. Make other areas suffer so you can maximise profits. I respect and hate your management in equal degree.

These are stated to be temporary cuts due to the driver shortage, not sure how this wild GAG conspiracy comes into it?

Dan

Site Administrator

27 May 2022, 8:35 pm #2,727

Completely false, nothing short of a rumour with absolutely no substance.

I think you will find all three operators are in a dire state financially (Stagecoach the least, Go North East the most), and that as part of the BSIP process there are active conversations taking place about rationalisation of certain corridors. I assume someone has twisted this into the dirty rumour in your post.

Naturally operators are reviewing services which have a poor financial contribution as they deem that they cannot sustainably operate these any longer. Whilst Go North East are making these cuts first, they are absolutely not pushing anyone else to do it too, the other companies will be doing it off their own backs.

The big difference is that Go North East is proposing to make these changes while there is still some level of Government support (BRG funding), while the others are presumably waiting it out until the end. The funding is of course designed to bridge the gap for revenue so that operators don’t make cuts while the market is recovering. That said it probably isn’t enough to prevent some operators being loss-making, and I’d imagine many of the proposed temporary changes at Arriva will in fact be permanent.
Dan
27 May 2022, 8:35 pm #2,727

Completely false, nothing short of a rumour with absolutely no substance.

I think you will find all three operators are in a dire state financially (Stagecoach the least, Go North East the most), and that as part of the BSIP process there are active conversations taking place about rationalisation of certain corridors. I assume someone has twisted this into the dirty rumour in your post.

Naturally operators are reviewing services which have a poor financial contribution as they deem that they cannot sustainably operate these any longer. Whilst Go North East are making these cuts first, they are absolutely not pushing anyone else to do it too, the other companies will be doing it off their own backs.

The big difference is that Go North East is proposing to make these changes while there is still some level of Government support (BRG funding), while the others are presumably waiting it out until the end. The funding is of course designed to bridge the gap for revenue so that operators don’t make cuts while the market is recovering. That said it probably isn’t enough to prevent some operators being loss-making, and I’d imagine many of the proposed temporary changes at Arriva will in fact be permanent.

Storx

27 May 2022, 8:37 pm #2,728

Why would Arriva / Stagecoach want to do that? They're not friends regardless to the PR that comes out. Arriva and Stagecoach would be over the moon if GoAhead went bust tomorrow.
Storx
27 May 2022, 8:37 pm #2,728

Why would Arriva / Stagecoach want to do that? They're not friends regardless to the PR that comes out. Arriva and Stagecoach would be over the moon if GoAhead went bust tomorrow.

L469 YVK

28 May 2022, 12:17 pm #2,729
To give Arriva some credit, the evening timings of the 43/44/45 departures at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:25 are a sensible move with a 20 min core frequency and a 20/40 split with the 43/45 to Wideopen.

I've had my fair share of digs with Arriva but they're starting to get things right in Northumbria especially with the X8/X9 route swap between Blyth & Shankhouse. If they keep their fleet tidy (but not OTT), get rid of the deadwood services with some handy links created (i.e X8 replaced by X7 and a sister service to the 43) and push the post 11pm departures to Blyth & Ashington back more towards 23:20-23:30ish, they'd be on a winner without a great deal of effort or cost.
L469 YVK
28 May 2022, 12:17 pm #2,729

To give Arriva some credit, the evening timings of the 43/44/45 departures at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:25 are a sensible move with a 20 min core frequency and a 20/40 split with the 43/45 to Wideopen.

I've had my fair share of digs with Arriva but they're starting to get things right in Northumbria especially with the X8/X9 route swap between Blyth & Shankhouse. If they keep their fleet tidy (but not OTT), get rid of the deadwood services with some handy links created (i.e X8 replaced by X7 and a sister service to the 43) and push the post 11pm departures to Blyth & Ashington back more towards 23:20-23:30ish, they'd be on a winner without a great deal of effort or cost.

28 May 2022, 10:02 pm #2,730
(28 May 2022, 12:17 pm)L469 YVK To give Arriva some credit, the evening timings of the 43/44/45 departures at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:25 are a sensible move with a 20 min core frequency and a 20/40 split with the 43/45 to Wideopen.

Why? So the drinkers get an extra 20 minutes in the pub? They tried an extra X10/11 leaving at 2340 a few years ago and it picked up next to nobody.
Driver9***
28 May 2022, 10:02 pm #2,730

(28 May 2022, 12:17 pm)L469 YVK To give Arriva some credit, the evening timings of the 43/44/45 departures at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:25 are a sensible move with a 20 min core frequency and a 20/40 split with the 43/45 to Wideopen.

Why? So the drinkers get an extra 20 minutes in the pub? They tried an extra X10/11 leaving at 2340 a few years ago and it picked up next to nobody.

28 May 2022, 11:52 pm #2,731
I've driven back from Newcastle during Friday and Saturday nights, the Spine Road is heaving with taxis until around 3am...

Definitely a case for some after midnight departures as that's when those in Newcastle are prepared to leave, not 20 mins after the traditional departure. GNE may have seen this trend on the N21 and 56?

I was thinking of separate night bus routes that merge daytime ones together, so starting from Central Station, pick up at the Gate, and again at Barras Bridge before running X11 route up to Shankhouse, running to Bedlington then doing the X22 through to Ashington then X21 route to the Elephant. Perhaps continue to drop people off until North Seaton roundabout before running dead back to Newcastle to do it again...

I believe the local authorities want the 308 to run all night in the future too.
omnicity4659
28 May 2022, 11:52 pm #2,731

I've driven back from Newcastle during Friday and Saturday nights, the Spine Road is heaving with taxis until around 3am...

Definitely a case for some after midnight departures as that's when those in Newcastle are prepared to leave, not 20 mins after the traditional departure. GNE may have seen this trend on the N21 and 56?

I was thinking of separate night bus routes that merge daytime ones together, so starting from Central Station, pick up at the Gate, and again at Barras Bridge before running X11 route up to Shankhouse, running to Bedlington then doing the X22 through to Ashington then X21 route to the Elephant. Perhaps continue to drop people off until North Seaton roundabout before running dead back to Newcastle to do it again...

I believe the local authorities want the 308 to run all night in the future too.

Storx

29 May 2022, 6:14 am #2,732
(28 May 2022, 11:52 pm)omnicity4659 I've driven back from Newcastle during Friday and Saturday nights, the Spine Road is heaving with taxis until around 3am...

The problem with those routes is there's nothing in between and nothing at the other end so they'll have to run empty.

The 56 and N21 are different as they both have cities at both ends which get loads then with the 56, Concord in the middle which is a drinking spot and Nissan with some workers and with the N21 has the Fell and CLS which both are popular drinking spots.

When you're pissed at 3am the last thing anyone will want to do is go trail onto a bus, it's much easier to get into the nearest taxi and get home. When your pissed money means nothing hence why the Stagecoach N1 and the one via Jesmond failed miserably.

The night buses which are badly needed North of the Tyne are routes which follow the route of the Metro imo. I know the 22 was a planned extended to Tynemouth but there's nothing for Whitley Bay to Newcastle via Four Lane Ends and it's the busiest part of the Metro.

Imo there should be a route something like: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.977...59!1m0!3e0
which serves the core of the Yellow Line.

The 43 to Blyth as an extension from Cramlington maybe would have a chance aswell additionally serving Jesmond but I'm not sure how well it would do, the X10 skipping the Great North Road doesn't make sense though so there's a semi frequent route to Jesmond for students.
Storx
29 May 2022, 6:14 am #2,732

(28 May 2022, 11:52 pm)omnicity4659 I've driven back from Newcastle during Friday and Saturday nights, the Spine Road is heaving with taxis until around 3am...

The problem with those routes is there's nothing in between and nothing at the other end so they'll have to run empty.

The 56 and N21 are different as they both have cities at both ends which get loads then with the 56, Concord in the middle which is a drinking spot and Nissan with some workers and with the N21 has the Fell and CLS which both are popular drinking spots.

When you're pissed at 3am the last thing anyone will want to do is go trail onto a bus, it's much easier to get into the nearest taxi and get home. When your pissed money means nothing hence why the Stagecoach N1 and the one via Jesmond failed miserably.

The night buses which are badly needed North of the Tyne are routes which follow the route of the Metro imo. I know the 22 was a planned extended to Tynemouth but there's nothing for Whitley Bay to Newcastle via Four Lane Ends and it's the busiest part of the Metro.

Imo there should be a route something like: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.977...59!1m0!3e0
which serves the core of the Yellow Line.

The 43 to Blyth as an extension from Cramlington maybe would have a chance aswell additionally serving Jesmond but I'm not sure how well it would do, the X10 skipping the Great North Road doesn't make sense though so there's a semi frequent route to Jesmond for students.

L469 YVK

29 May 2022, 7:50 am #2,733
(28 May 2022, 10:02 pm)Driver9*** Why? So the drinkers get an extra 20 minutes in the pub? They tried an extra X10/11 leaving at 2340 a few years ago and it picked up next to nobody.
Well it would still be the same number of actual buses, just running later than now (a bit like the X18 which now departs at xx:28)

So X10/X11 would be 
Ex Blyth (after 19:30): 19:43, 20:16, 20:48, 21:21, 21:53, 22:21, 22:53#, 23:21#
Ex Newcastle (after 20:30): 20:45, 21:15, 21:50, 22:20, 22:55, 23:25

X21 would be:
Ex Newcastle (after 22:00): 22:20, 23:25 (last short 35 from Newbiggin would depart at 23:36)

X22 would be:
Ex Newcastle (after 21:30): 21:50, 22:55

308 would be:
Ex Newcastle (after 22:00): 22:15, 23:20
Ex Blyth (after 23:00): 23:16#

306 would be:
Ex Newcastle: 22:45, 23:45

# = Short journey such as Blyth to Cramlington or Silverlink
L469 YVK
29 May 2022, 7:50 am #2,733

(28 May 2022, 10:02 pm)Driver9*** Why? So the drinkers get an extra 20 minutes in the pub? They tried an extra X10/11 leaving at 2340 a few years ago and it picked up next to nobody.
Well it would still be the same number of actual buses, just running later than now (a bit like the X18 which now departs at xx:28)

So X10/X11 would be 
Ex Blyth (after 19:30): 19:43, 20:16, 20:48, 21:21, 21:53, 22:21, 22:53#, 23:21#
Ex Newcastle (after 20:30): 20:45, 21:15, 21:50, 22:20, 22:55, 23:25

X21 would be:
Ex Newcastle (after 22:00): 22:20, 23:25 (last short 35 from Newbiggin would depart at 23:36)

X22 would be:
Ex Newcastle (after 21:30): 21:50, 22:55

308 would be:
Ex Newcastle (after 22:00): 22:15, 23:20
Ex Blyth (after 23:00): 23:16#

306 would be:
Ex Newcastle: 22:45, 23:45

# = Short journey such as Blyth to Cramlington or Silverlink

Rob44

08 Jun 2022, 8:15 pm #2,734
I used the 44 to get to hazlerigg yesterday. QA the 1820 journey. Used this most of the time including before covid and was never as busy as it was yesterday. In fact the whole haymarket bus station had queues and I dont think there were any incidents. The only thing I notice was the 46 looks like it's been reduced and the number of customer that got off the bus from high street to top of polwarth drive confirmed this. Still a good load on when I got off in hazlerigg though
Rob44
08 Jun 2022, 8:15 pm #2,734

I used the 44 to get to hazlerigg yesterday. QA the 1820 journey. Used this most of the time including before covid and was never as busy as it was yesterday. In fact the whole haymarket bus station had queues and I dont think there were any incidents. The only thing I notice was the 46 looks like it's been reduced and the number of customer that got off the bus from high street to top of polwarth drive confirmed this. Still a good load on when I got off in hazlerigg though

peter

08 Jun 2022, 9:51 pm #2,735
(08 Jun 2022, 8:15 pm)Rob44 I used the 44 to get to hazlerigg yesterday. QA the 1820 journey. Used this most of the time including before covid and was never as busy as it was yesterday. In fact the whole haymarket bus station had queues and I dont think there were any incidents. The only thing I notice was the 46 looks like it's been reduced and the number of customer that got off the bus from high street to top of polwarth drive confirmed this. Still a good load on when I got off in hazlerigg though

The 46 has not been reduced from 5th June, it continues to run hourly alongside the 46A providing a half hourly service. It was reduced from every 20 to every 30 minutes many months ago now.
peter
08 Jun 2022, 9:51 pm #2,735

(08 Jun 2022, 8:15 pm)Rob44 I used the 44 to get to hazlerigg yesterday. QA the 1820 journey. Used this most of the time including before covid and was never as busy as it was yesterday. In fact the whole haymarket bus station had queues and I dont think there were any incidents. The only thing I notice was the 46 looks like it's been reduced and the number of customer that got off the bus from high street to top of polwarth drive confirmed this. Still a good load on when I got off in hazlerigg though

The 46 has not been reduced from 5th June, it continues to run hourly alongside the 46A providing a half hourly service. It was reduced from every 20 to every 30 minutes many months ago now.

23 Jun 2022, 11:58 am #2,736
According to Bustimes and VOSA, ANE are running a new 193 between Egton and Whitby. Weirdly though bustimes has it operating on the 24th Aug only. Is there a special event on in Whitby that wednesday.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
23 Jun 2022, 11:58 am #2,736

According to Bustimes and VOSA, ANE are running a new 193 between Egton and Whitby. Weirdly though bustimes has it operating on the 24th Aug only. Is there a special event on in Whitby that wednesday.

Andreos1

23 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm #2,737
(23 Jun 2022, 11:58 am)ASX_Terranova According to Bustimes and VOSA, ANE are running a new 193 between Egton and Whitby. Weirdly though bustimes has it operating on the 24th Aug only. Is there a special event on in Whitby that wednesday.
Aye, it's the Egton show
https://www.google.com/search?q=whitby+2...vrt=events

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm #2,737

(23 Jun 2022, 11:58 am)ASX_Terranova According to Bustimes and VOSA, ANE are running a new 193 between Egton and Whitby. Weirdly though bustimes has it operating on the 24th Aug only. Is there a special event on in Whitby that wednesday.
Aye, it's the Egton show
https://www.google.com/search?q=whitby+2...vrt=events

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

peter

23 Jun 2022, 12:04 pm #2,738

It's a special service that runs every year for Egton Show (though hasn't since 2019 due to COVID presumably)
peter
23 Jun 2022, 12:04 pm #2,738

It's a special service that runs every year for Egton Show (though hasn't since 2019 due to COVID presumably)

23 Jun 2022, 1:41 pm #2,739
(23 Jun 2022, 12:04 pm)peter It's a special service that runs every year for Egton Show (though hasn't since 2019 due to COVID presumably)

What type of vehicle would normally be allocated to this.

ASX_Terranova
23 Jun 2022, 1:41 pm #2,739

(23 Jun 2022, 12:04 pm)peter It's a special service that runs every year for Egton Show (though hasn't since 2019 due to COVID presumably)

What type of vehicle would normally be allocated to this.

Jimmi

23 Jun 2022, 1:53 pm #2,740
(23 Jun 2022, 1:41 pm)ASX_Terranova What type of vehicle would normally be allocated to this.
In the past it's been allocated a Scania Omnicity, in later years would be one loaned from Darlington as think it was because they had a Ferry lift at the front.
Jimmi
23 Jun 2022, 1:53 pm #2,740

(23 Jun 2022, 1:41 pm)ASX_Terranova What type of vehicle would normally be allocated to this.
In the past it's been allocated a Scania Omnicity, in later years would be one loaned from Darlington as think it was because they had a Ferry lift at the front.

Pages (181) Previous 1136 137 138181 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average