Menu

North East Buses The Site News & Site Updates 16/01/15 Downtime: Your suggestions

16/01/15 Downtime: Your suggestions

16/01/15 Downtime: Your suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
DanPicken

Banned

17 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm #21
Option A.
DanPicken
17 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm #21

Option A.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm #22
(17 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm)Malarkey Option A for me, although currently I am having zero issues with the forum in regards to running slowly etc, for me its running as it should be, no idea about anyone else though.

I do think the Bus Management and Infrastructure and Off Topic Threads should be looked at, as there are a lot of Threads in those areas which have some repetitiveness to them and should otherwise be merged together.

A few examples:

Bus Stop Numbers/Darlington Town Centre Bus Stops/Timetables - Why not just have one Thread titled "North East Bus Stops and Timetable Information"

Washington Area Developments/Sunderland Area Developments/Gateshead Area Developments/Newcastle Area Developments/South Tyneside Area Developments/Gosforth High Street Improvements/Durham Road - Why not just have one Thread titled - "North East Area Developments"
I'm not merging any more threads... Liam will shout at me for increasing the server load again

Not sure whether the forum is running fine or not for me - but managed to quote no bother using Tapatalk in this post.
Dan
17 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm #22

(17 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm)Malarkey Option A for me, although currently I am having zero issues with the forum in regards to running slowly etc, for me its running as it should be, no idea about anyone else though.

I do think the Bus Management and Infrastructure and Off Topic Threads should be looked at, as there are a lot of Threads in those areas which have some repetitiveness to them and should otherwise be merged together.

A few examples:

Bus Stop Numbers/Darlington Town Centre Bus Stops/Timetables - Why not just have one Thread titled "North East Bus Stops and Timetable Information"

Washington Area Developments/Sunderland Area Developments/Gateshead Area Developments/Newcastle Area Developments/South Tyneside Area Developments/Gosforth High Street Improvements/Durham Road - Why not just have one Thread titled - "North East Area Developments"
I'm not merging any more threads... Liam will shout at me for increasing the server load again

Not sure whether the forum is running fine or not for me - but managed to quote no bother using Tapatalk in this post.

Michael

17 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm #23
Delete unused threads then, quite a few on here which hasn't being used for ages....

Also still taking ages when replying.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Jan 2015, 2:57 pm #23

Delete unused threads then, quite a few on here which hasn't being used for ages....

Also still taking ages when replying.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

17 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm #24
(17 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm)Dan I'm not merging any more threads... Liam will shout at me for increasing the server load again

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm #24

(17 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm)Dan I'm not merging any more threads... Liam will shout at me for increasing the server load again

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm #25
The issue is having more than 1,000 posts in one thread. Anything more than that, and problems do start to arise.

The only issue with having lots of threads is that the forum may become untidy - but this won't affect forum speed.
Dan
17 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm #25

The issue is having more than 1,000 posts in one thread. Anything more than that, and problems do start to arise.

The only issue with having lots of threads is that the forum may become untidy - but this won't affect forum speed.

Adrian

17 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm #26
@Cock Robin - search function will do that for you. Select GNE for example as the parent forum, and it'll search anything live and archived beneath it.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm #26

@Cock Robin - search function will do that for you. Select GNE for example as the parent forum, and it'll search anything live and archived beneath it.

Tommy1581

17 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm #27
Option A sounds good.
Tommy1581
17 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm #27

Option A sounds good.

cbma06

17 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm #28
anybody having problems with tapatalk?, I get the message alerts on my phone, but when I go into a message, it just saying loading with black screen

cbma06
17 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm #28

anybody having problems with tapatalk?, I get the message alerts on my phone, but when I go into a message, it just saying loading with black screen

Adrian

17 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm #29
(17 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm)Michael Delete unused threads then, quite a few on here which hasn't being used for ages....

Unused threads aren't really causing an issue, as it's more load related rather than storage space. Think of it this way; you load a thread with 100 posts, and it's like a queue of 100 people orderly walking through a turnstile. You load a thread with 19,000 posts, it's like 19,000 people trying to barge through a turnstile, but in the same amount of time. Now times that 19000 by an average of 10 users at a time browsing that thread, and it's inevitably going to put a strain on the database.

(17 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm)cbma06 anybody having problems with tapatalk?, I get the message alerts on my phone, but when I go into a message, it just saying loading with black screen

Nope. Mine seems to be fine. 

Adrian
17 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm #29

(17 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm)Michael Delete unused threads then, quite a few on here which hasn't being used for ages....

Unused threads aren't really causing an issue, as it's more load related rather than storage space. Think of it this way; you load a thread with 100 posts, and it's like a queue of 100 people orderly walking through a turnstile. You load a thread with 19,000 posts, it's like 19,000 people trying to barge through a turnstile, but in the same amount of time. Now times that 19000 by an average of 10 users at a time browsing that thread, and it's inevitably going to put a strain on the database.

(17 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm)cbma06 anybody having problems with tapatalk?, I get the message alerts on my phone, but when I go into a message, it just saying loading with black screen

Nope. Mine seems to be fine. 

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

17 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm #30

My tapatalk is quite slow, but I think that is just my phone, as it has a lot of shite on it, lol...

I also have speed issues on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 if I let alerts pile up, I dont use my tablet as much and when I switched it on a few days ago, it picked up 300 updates for NEB alone, despite checking the alerts on my phone, sometimes it can be slow enough that I am surprised it does not sprout roots lol Big Grin

Tapatalk is a pain in the arse at times, but apart from the downtime yesterday, I have never had an issue with loading up the boards...even if it is slow
Edited 17 Jan 2015, 6:45 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
17 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm #30

My tapatalk is quite slow, but I think that is just my phone, as it has a lot of shite on it, lol...

I also have speed issues on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 if I let alerts pile up, I dont use my tablet as much and when I switched it on a few days ago, it picked up 300 updates for NEB alone, despite checking the alerts on my phone, sometimes it can be slow enough that I am surprised it does not sprout roots lol Big Grin

Tapatalk is a pain in the arse at times, but apart from the downtime yesterday, I have never had an issue with loading up the boards...even if it is slow

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm #31
Last night, we decided to close the forum so that we could work on splitting the threads by month (as a temporary measure) to get rid of large threads which were causing issues with the server load and hence making the forum run at a slower speed than usual.

When trying to achieve this, the entire website went down completely. We have discovered that the bulk of our issues are a wider issue relating to our web host, and we are trying to resolve this issue with our web host now. Whilst we do have some issues with making new threads and quoting which is a NEB-related issue, our main issues stem from the web host having problems.

We are going to split the main "Latest" threads at some point next week using a script in the database. Liam can't do this until he has laptop access, which he thinks will be on Tuesday or Wednesday. This should resolve our issues with quoting etc, but the site going offline altogether cannot be resolved by us. You can check Bihira's server status for 'Mahal' by clicking here - if there are any 'No Entry' signs, this means that the website will not be working. You can also check the UK-Buses website, which runs off the same web host, to verify that it is not just a NEB-related issue.
Dan
18 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm #31

Last night, we decided to close the forum so that we could work on splitting the threads by month (as a temporary measure) to get rid of large threads which were causing issues with the server load and hence making the forum run at a slower speed than usual.

When trying to achieve this, the entire website went down completely. We have discovered that the bulk of our issues are a wider issue relating to our web host, and we are trying to resolve this issue with our web host now. Whilst we do have some issues with making new threads and quoting which is a NEB-related issue, our main issues stem from the web host having problems.

We are going to split the main "Latest" threads at some point next week using a script in the database. Liam can't do this until he has laptop access, which he thinks will be on Tuesday or Wednesday. This should resolve our issues with quoting etc, but the site going offline altogether cannot be resolved by us. You can check Bihira's server status for 'Mahal' by clicking here - if there are any 'No Entry' signs, this means that the website will not be working. You can also check the UK-Buses website, which runs off the same web host, to verify that it is not just a NEB-related issue.

idiot

18 Jan 2015, 1:58 pm #32
I defo think it needs to be split month by month and locked Smile
idiot
18 Jan 2015, 1:58 pm #32

I defo think it needs to be split month by month and locked Smile

Tommy1581

18 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm #33
A couple of minutes ago I had an error with "MyBB" on it, think is was Error 200 or something?
Tommy1581
18 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm #33

A couple of minutes ago I had an error with "MyBB" on it, think is was Error 200 or something?

DanPicken

Banned

18 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm #34
It was error 500 I believe.
DanPicken
18 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm #34

It was error 500 I believe.

G-CPTN

18 Jan 2015, 8:45 pm #35
I have a window open that is trying to upload a reply to the GNE odd thread - it is just 'cycling'.
G-CPTN
18 Jan 2015, 8:45 pm #35

I have a window open that is trying to upload a reply to the GNE odd thread - it is just 'cycling'.

G-CPTN

18 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm #36
I have a window open that is trying to upload a reply to the GNE rare and odd thread - it is just 'cycling'.

It has gone through now, but this reply is doing the same.
G-CPTN
18 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm #36

I have a window open that is trying to upload a reply to the GNE rare and odd thread - it is just 'cycling'.

It has gone through now, but this reply is doing the same.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

18 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm #37
I cant reply on my browser...

Some kind of timeout message and tapatalk takes at least 2 minutes to reply to a post...

Just wondering will the forum be completely overhauled with a new look or will improvements just be splitting/archive old posts?
MrFozz
18 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm #37

I cant reply on my browser...

Some kind of timeout message and tapatalk takes at least 2 minutes to reply to a post...

Just wondering will the forum be completely overhauled with a new look or will improvements just be splitting/archive old posts?

Adrian

18 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm #38
@MrFozz - We're aware of MyBB time out messages, which we believe are related to the database issue.

The delay in pulling up a new thread or posting to an existing thread are what we're expecting users to have the biggest issue with too. It's a pain in the backside, but we hope the thread splitting activity will resolve the issue completely.

It won't be necessary to overhaul the forum with a new look, as the design (how the forum looks) is completely separate as to what is going on in the background.

Adrian
18 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm #38

@MrFozz - We're aware of MyBB time out messages, which we believe are related to the database issue.

The delay in pulling up a new thread or posting to an existing thread are what we're expecting users to have the biggest issue with too. It's a pain in the backside, but we hope the thread splitting activity will resolve the issue completely.

It won't be necessary to overhaul the forum with a new look, as the design (how the forum looks) is completely separate as to what is going on in the background.

18 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm #39
Well, I hope you guys manage to sort it out. Smile

As long as we've still got a banter thing going, morale will no doubt remain high.

Onwards and upwards. Wink
R852 PRG
18 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm #39

Well, I hope you guys manage to sort it out. Smile

As long as we've still got a banter thing going, morale will no doubt remain high.

Onwards and upwards. Wink

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

18 Jan 2015, 9:59 pm #40
(18 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm)aureolin @MrFozz - We're aware of MyBB time out messages, which we believe are related to the database issue.

Thanks for the explanation mate...

Certainly is a pain in the derrière, It is peeing me off now, but at least I am able to access albeit very slow...keep up the good work fellas
MrFozz
18 Jan 2015, 9:59 pm #40

(18 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm)aureolin @MrFozz - We're aware of MyBB time out messages, which we believe are related to the database issue.

Thanks for the explanation mate...

Certainly is a pain in the derrière, It is peeing me off now, but at least I am able to access albeit very slow...keep up the good work fellas

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average