Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average

Pages (24) Previous 122 23 24 Next
Andreos1

29 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm #441
There was a Northern SPD Vxxx ERG (didnt get numbers) working an M1 into Houghton about 3.30. Probs covering the missing Scania mentioned above
Andreos1
29 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm #441

There was a Northern SPD Vxxx ERG (didnt get numbers) working an M1 into Houghton about 3.30. Probs covering the missing Scania mentioned above

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm #442
(29 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm)Andreos1 There was a Northern SPD Vxxx ERG (didnt get numbers) working an M1 into Houghton about 3.30. Probs covering the missing Scania mentioned above

Also 2 Renowns out today on the M1, so unlikely that it's just to cover for 4956!
Dan
29 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm #442

(29 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm)Andreos1 There was a Northern SPD Vxxx ERG (didnt get numbers) working an M1 into Houghton about 3.30. Probs covering the missing Scania mentioned above

Also 2 Renowns out today on the M1, so unlikely that it's just to cover for 4956!

Andreos1

29 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm #443
Ah I dunno like, 4956 is a popular bus Wink

Didn't see any of the Renowns on it, but they're often on
Andreos1
29 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm #443

Ah I dunno like, 4956 is a popular bus Wink

Didn't see any of the Renowns on it, but they're often on

Malarkey

29 Jun 2013, 5:28 pm #444
(29 Jun 2013, 9:41 am)BJ10VUS
(29 Jun 2013, 9:21 am)Rob Those B7s are due to move into a spare role before the year is out.

Hmmm, wonder what the X21 will use instead. I doubt it'll be given brand new deckers.

I was intrigued by this, so I decided to do a PaperBus to see what it would look like
Malarkey
29 Jun 2013, 5:28 pm #444

(29 Jun 2013, 9:41 am)BJ10VUS
(29 Jun 2013, 9:21 am)Rob Those B7s are due to move into a spare role before the year is out.

Hmmm, wonder what the X21 will use instead. I doubt it'll be given brand new deckers.

I was intrigued by this, so I decided to do a PaperBus to see what it would look like

nk55

29 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm #445
Looks a whole lot better than the pronto brand.
nk55
29 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm #445

Looks a whole lot better than the pronto brand.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm #446
Both of Deptford's "Nexus" branded Solo SRs have returned to service, with the pair being out this evening on services 135/136, meaning they had been out on services 37 and 73 through the day too.

"Sunderland Connect" Hybrid 640 was at Saltmeadows today, having only returned to service a few days ago. As such, "Drifter" branded Versa 8308 was covering for the missing vehicle - notably not fulfilling the Euro 5 criteria of the contract. A photo of 640 at Saltmeadows is displayed below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/9166453481/
Dan
29 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm #446

Both of Deptford's "Nexus" branded Solo SRs have returned to service, with the pair being out this evening on services 135/136, meaning they had been out on services 37 and 73 through the day too.

"Sunderland Connect" Hybrid 640 was at Saltmeadows today, having only returned to service a few days ago. As such, "Drifter" branded Versa 8308 was covering for the missing vehicle - notably not fulfilling the Euro 5 criteria of the contract. A photo of 640 at Saltmeadows is displayed below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/9166453481/

Malarkey

29 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm #447
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...349108380/

My GNE Collections page has had some major updates, with more to come over the coming week, with over a 100 photos still to upload, and even more on Monday whilst i'm in Sunderland. Check it out for Buses By Brand/Completed Brands and Former Brands also
Malarkey
29 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm #447

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...349108380/

My GNE Collections page has had some major updates, with more to come over the coming week, with over a 100 photos still to upload, and even more on Monday whilst i'm in Sunderland. Check it out for Buses By Brand/Completed Brands and Former Brands also

30 Jun 2013, 7:48 am #448
I think that the X21 Pronto should be re-branded OK Expressway and the ex OK1 Scanias used on that, which would speed it up. Also they should add one vehicle to the OK Way 18 and extend it to Evenwood and Cockfield which now get such a rubbish service on the Arriva 6, thus retaining the West Auckland - Bishop passengers who have used the OK1. But they haven't given the OK1 enough time to develop since they extended it to Middlesbrough. For that matter I think GNE alters services far too often and since changes in management over the last 18 months they have entered a less positive phase and cuts seem to prevail.
Greg in Weardale
30 Jun 2013, 7:48 am #448

I think that the X21 Pronto should be re-branded OK Expressway and the ex OK1 Scanias used on that, which would speed it up. Also they should add one vehicle to the OK Way 18 and extend it to Evenwood and Cockfield which now get such a rubbish service on the Arriva 6, thus retaining the West Auckland - Bishop passengers who have used the OK1. But they haven't given the OK1 enough time to develop since they extended it to Middlesbrough. For that matter I think GNE alters services far too often and since changes in management over the last 18 months they have entered a less positive phase and cuts seem to prevail.

Adrian

30 Jun 2013, 8:49 am #449
(30 Jun 2013, 7:48 am)Greg in Weardale I think that the X21 Pronto should be re-branded OK Expressway and the ex OK1 Scanias used on that, which would speed it up. Also they should add one vehicle to the OK Way 18 and extend it to Evenwood and Cockfield which now get such a rubbish service on the Arriva 6, thus retaining the West Auckland - Bishop passengers who have used the OK1. But they haven't given the OK1 enough time to develop since they extended it to Middlesbrough. For that matter I think GNE alters services far too often and since changes in management over the last 18 months they have entered a less positive phase and cuts seem to prevail.

Maybe it's just me, but the X21 always seems to be quite busy between Durham and Chester, and then Chester and Newcastle?? Whenever I use it it seems to be the case. I don't think the single deck Scanias could cope with that.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Jun 2013, 8:49 am #449

(30 Jun 2013, 7:48 am)Greg in Weardale I think that the X21 Pronto should be re-branded OK Expressway and the ex OK1 Scanias used on that, which would speed it up. Also they should add one vehicle to the OK Way 18 and extend it to Evenwood and Cockfield which now get such a rubbish service on the Arriva 6, thus retaining the West Auckland - Bishop passengers who have used the OK1. But they haven't given the OK1 enough time to develop since they extended it to Middlesbrough. For that matter I think GNE alters services far too often and since changes in management over the last 18 months they have entered a less positive phase and cuts seem to prevail.

Maybe it's just me, but the X21 always seems to be quite busy between Durham and Chester, and then Chester and Newcastle?? Whenever I use it it seems to be the case. I don't think the single deck Scanias could cope with that.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

30 Jun 2013, 8:58 am #450
The 18, OK1 and Pronto services were all launced at pretty much the same time, in a town pretty much abandoned by GNE approx 5 years previously.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't help feeling the offer was dis-jointed and possibly half-hearted.
Connections were poor, one half of the Pronto brand was withdrawn after a brief period and re-introduced as an extention of the X21, limiting the connections from the town even more.
It was as though GNE forced their operations and business model on the town, rather than adapting it to suit the needs of the town.

I've already mentioned if the Pronto was branded OK, the outcome may have been different, but if there were more local connections, rather than just the 18, feeding into the distance services, increasing brand loyalty and uptake of buzzfares etc - then again, things may have been different.
As it stands, the OK1 and Pronto struggle to pick up passengers from the small MPD working its way around the Estates and anyother passengers disembarking an Arriva service needing a connection unique to GNE.
Andreos1
30 Jun 2013, 8:58 am #450

The 18, OK1 and Pronto services were all launced at pretty much the same time, in a town pretty much abandoned by GNE approx 5 years previously.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't help feeling the offer was dis-jointed and possibly half-hearted.
Connections were poor, one half of the Pronto brand was withdrawn after a brief period and re-introduced as an extention of the X21, limiting the connections from the town even more.
It was as though GNE forced their operations and business model on the town, rather than adapting it to suit the needs of the town.

I've already mentioned if the Pronto was branded OK, the outcome may have been different, but if there were more local connections, rather than just the 18, feeding into the distance services, increasing brand loyalty and uptake of buzzfares etc - then again, things may have been different.
As it stands, the OK1 and Pronto struggle to pick up passengers from the small MPD working its way around the Estates and anyother passengers disembarking an Arriva service needing a connection unique to GNE.

gtom

Banned

30 Jun 2013, 11:36 am #451
(30 Jun 2013, 8:49 am)aureolin Maybe it's just me, but the X21 always seems to be quite busy between Durham and Chester, and then Chester and Newcastle?? Whenever I use it it seems to be the case. I don't think the single deck Scanias could cope with that.

Seems very popular with the grey haired passengers. I've always seen healthy loads on the 'Pizza' bus around twirly time but I've seen them nigh on empty outside of that time. Not sure whether for cost efficiency you just set an hourly 21 up off to Bishop

If you do keep it

Re- OK brand. I'm not sure about it on the X21 (despite saying I was). It's 15 years since the OK brand disappeared

I'd go for something like Angel Express (not green as I imagine whatever goes on won't be hybrid or green) or trentbarton plain livery with route X21 on it.
gtom
30 Jun 2013, 11:36 am #451

(30 Jun 2013, 8:49 am)aureolin Maybe it's just me, but the X21 always seems to be quite busy between Durham and Chester, and then Chester and Newcastle?? Whenever I use it it seems to be the case. I don't think the single deck Scanias could cope with that.

Seems very popular with the grey haired passengers. I've always seen healthy loads on the 'Pizza' bus around twirly time but I've seen them nigh on empty outside of that time. Not sure whether for cost efficiency you just set an hourly 21 up off to Bishop

If you do keep it

Re- OK brand. I'm not sure about it on the X21 (despite saying I was). It's 15 years since the OK brand disappeared

I'd go for something like Angel Express (not green as I imagine whatever goes on won't be hybrid or green) or trentbarton plain livery with route X21 on it.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

30 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm #452
I think the axing of the OK1 could go to ways
1) GNE try again with possibly some local routes around Bishop and Crook.
Or
2) They'll pull out the 18 will either go to an other operator or axe it and the X21 just merging into a 21 service (as mentioned above) operated by Chester.

I would like to see them keep on in bishop and the area, but now they are losing the OK1, Crook depot will be down to just 2 half-hourly routes with 10 vehicles I'm not sure if a depot so small is commercially attractive. I suppose time will tell what happens..
CatsFast101
30 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm #452

I think the axing of the OK1 could go to ways
Or
2) They'll pull out the 18 will either go to an other operator or axe it and the X21 just merging into a 21 service (as mentioned above) operated by Chester.

I would like to see them keep on in bishop and the area, but now they are losing the OK1, Crook depot will be down to just 2 half-hourly routes with 10 vehicles I'm not sure if a depot so small is commercially attractive. I suppose time will tell what happens..

Malarkey

30 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm #453
(30 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm)CatsFast101 I think the axing of the OK1 could go to ways
Or

The crook depot is shared with and owned by Weardale, so there will be more than 10 Buses in the Depot, so commercially it isn't that bad

(30 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm)CatsFast101 I think the axing of the OK1 could go to ways
Or

The crook depot is shared with and owned by Weardale, so there will be more than 10 Buses in the Depot, so commercially it isn't that bad

Here is my plan on what GNE should do, Basically it's simple, go head2head with Arriva by offering improved services/cheaper fares etc.

X21 Bishop Auckland - Spennymoor - Croxdale - Durham - Framwellgate Moor - Chester-le-Street - Gateshead - Newcastle (Under OK Expressway Brand) Every 30 Minutes – Monday – Saturday – Hourly on Sundays

X46 - Crook – Willington – Brancepeth – Meadowfield – Langley Moor – Durham
(Under OK Expressway Brand) Every 15 Minutes – Monday – Saturday – Every 30 Minutes on Sundays
In it's current form it is a works service, but now it'll operate throughout the day against Arriva Service 46

OK1 – Durham – Croxdale – Spennymoor - Bishop Auckland – Tindale Crescent – St Helen Auckland - West Auckland – Cockerton – Darlington
( Every 10 Minutes Monday to Saturday – Sundays Every 20 Minutes)
OK2 – Darlington - N. Aycliffe - Woodham - Ferryhill - Chilton – Durham
OK3 - Durham – Coxhoe – Ferryhill – Bishop Auckland
Every 15 Minutes Monday – Saturday – Sundays Every 30 Minutes

These 3 Services would mount a direct challenge to Arriva Services 6/7/56 and 56A, with improved frequencies compared to Arriva between Durham – Bishop Auckland and Darlington.

18 - Woodhouse Close – Cockton Hill Road - Bishop Auckland – Canney Hill - Coundon
Every 30 Minutes Monday – Sunday

Now currently GNE don't have the Numbers Bus Wise for this to work unless they were to get some Buses Second hand from other Go-Ahead Operators or from EnsignBus until Newer Buses were ordered and had arrived for Service.

I would also have an official launch with flyers/timetables been sent to residents of those Areas with various discounts on fares, They'd also receive a KeyCard if they don't already have one for further discounts to then gain some more passengers from Arriva.

There would then be official lauches like the Quaylink in Durham City Centre/Durham Howlands Park and Ride Site/Bishop Auckland and Darlington aswell as a load of Online promotions through Simplygo.com/GNE Twitter/Facebook.
Edited 30 Jun 2013, 2:53 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
30 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm #453

Or

Or

Here is my plan on what GNE should do, Basically it's simple, go head2head with Arriva by offering improved services/cheaper fares etc.

X21 Bishop Auckland - Spennymoor - Croxdale - Durham - Framwellgate Moor - Chester-le-Street - Gateshead - Newcastle (Under OK Expressway Brand) Every 30 Minutes – Monday – Saturday – Hourly on Sundays

(Under OK Expressway Brand) Every 15 Minutes – Monday – Saturday – Every 30 Minutes on Sundays
In it's current form it is a works service, but now it'll operate throughout the day against Arriva Service 46

OK1 – Durham – Croxdale – Spennymoor - Bishop Auckland – Tindale Crescent – St Helen Auckland - West Auckland – Cockerton – Darlington

These 3 Services would mount a direct challenge to Arriva Services 6/7/56 and 56A, with improved frequencies compared to Arriva between Durham – Bishop Auckland and Darlington.

18 - Woodhouse Close – Cockton Hill Road - Bishop Auckland – Canney Hill - Coundon

Now currently GNE don't have the Numbers Bus Wise for this to work unless they were to get some Buses Second hand from other Go-Ahead Operators or from EnsignBus until Newer Buses were ordered and had arrived for Service.

I would also have an official launch with flyers/timetables been sent to residents of those Areas with various discounts on fares, They'd also receive a KeyCard if they don't already have one for further discounts to then gain some more passengers from Arriva.

There would then be official lauches like the Quaylink in Durham City Centre/Durham Howlands Park and Ride Site/Bishop Auckland and Darlington aswell as a load of Online promotions through Simplygo.com/GNE Twitter/Facebook.

gtom

Banned

30 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm #454
4944 was on the 28's today.

4987 (Waggonway branded) was running alongside an empty un-ID'd Waggonway DAF through Birtley, the empty DAF which I assumed had an issue ran straight through Durham Road to Picktree Lane
gtom
30 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm #454

4944 was on the 28's today.

4987 (Waggonway branded) was running alongside an empty un-ID'd Waggonway DAF through Birtley, the empty DAF which I assumed had an issue ran straight through Durham Road to Picktree Lane

Kuyoyo

30 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm #455
(30 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm)Adam Malarkey
Or

Or

There's rumours circling that Weardale are wanting GNE out, as well as stories that they are raising the rent, I think, unless GNE find another site in Bishop Auckland (which would then see the end of the X46 as a positioning run altogether), we'll see the second retreat of the company out of Bishop Auckland apart from the X21 (which is the easiest to revert to a Chester-le-Street working, and also would be the end of the X46 as well).
Kuyoyo
30 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm #455

(30 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm)Adam Malarkey
Or

Or

There's rumours circling that Weardale are wanting GNE out, as well as stories that they are raising the rent, I think, unless GNE find another site in Bishop Auckland (which would then see the end of the X46 as a positioning run altogether), we'll see the second retreat of the company out of Bishop Auckland apart from the X21 (which is the easiest to revert to a Chester-le-Street working, and also would be the end of the X46 as well).

Michael

30 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm #456
[/quote]

That's interesting information, if they were to move out and GNE continued to run the X21/X46 - Would there be enough room for them at chester.

The 18 will probleys go, unless GNE find a new smaller depot up in that area?
--------------
Looking at the latest pics of the new depot at the metrocentre.. Please what are those horrible panels, i hope they re-painted, its like lego!

Pics here... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1517587&page=2
Edited 30 Jun 2013, 4:22 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm #456

[/quote]

That's interesting information, if they were to move out and GNE continued to run the X21/X46 - Would there be enough room for them at chester.

The 18 will probleys go, unless GNE find a new smaller depot up in that area?
--------------
Looking at the latest pics of the new depot at the metrocentre.. Please what are those horrible panels, i hope they re-painted, its like lego!

Pics here... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1517587&page=2

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

GuyParkRoyal

30 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm #457
Diamond branded Citaro 5285 on Lime 78 today departed Chester le Street for Sunderland at 16.58
GuyParkRoyal
30 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm #457

Diamond branded Citaro 5285 on Lime 78 today departed Chester le Street for Sunderland at 16.58

nk55

30 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm #458
the 18 wont be dropped as it carriers to many people. The X21 is popular throughout the day but obvious strong competition from the very badly operated 6 does impact on numbers to/from durham.
nk55
30 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm #458

the 18 wont be dropped as it carriers to many people. The X21 is popular throughout the day but obvious strong competition from the very badly operated 6 does impact on numbers to/from durham.

gtom

Banned

30 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm #459
To play devil's advocate here.

Bishop is 30 miles from Newcastle. To have the level of service it does to Newcastle is pretty good. If you went North of Newcastle (say, Amble around 28 miles from Newcastle) you'd not see the same level of service from Arriva.

The Pronto at Bishop is basically, imo, supported by the link to Durham and commuters into Newcastle at peak times. Looking at a DCC report, car ownership amongst commuters in BA is higher than the average for County Durham.

I'd cut my losses and send 1 Angel an hour (like the old 21 system used to) down to Bishop. I can't help but feel the current system in place just gives otherwise dormant B7's something to do.

(my thoughts are purely commercial and not reflecting the view of a passenger on that route)
gtom
30 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm #459

To play devil's advocate here.

Bishop is 30 miles from Newcastle. To have the level of service it does to Newcastle is pretty good. If you went North of Newcastle (say, Amble around 28 miles from Newcastle) you'd not see the same level of service from Arriva.

The Pronto at Bishop is basically, imo, supported by the link to Durham and commuters into Newcastle at peak times. Looking at a DCC report, car ownership amongst commuters in BA is higher than the average for County Durham.

I'd cut my losses and send 1 Angel an hour (like the old 21 system used to) down to Bishop. I can't help but feel the current system in place just gives otherwise dormant B7's something to do.

(my thoughts are purely commercial and not reflecting the view of a passenger on that route)

Michael

30 Jun 2013, 5:01 pm #460
(30 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm)nk55 the 18 wont be dropped as it carriers to many people. The X21 is popular throughout the day but obvious strong competition from the very badly operated 6 does impact on numbers to/from durham.

Oh right, wasn't sure on numbers as i haven't being to the area for years.

Least its doing well, could it do with bigger buses?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Jun 2013, 5:01 pm #460

(30 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm)nk55 the 18 wont be dropped as it carriers to many people. The X21 is popular throughout the day but obvious strong competition from the very badly operated 6 does impact on numbers to/from durham.

Oh right, wasn't sure on numbers as i haven't being to the area for years.

Least its doing well, could it do with bigger buses?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (24) Previous 122 23 24 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average