Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (28): Previous 1 2 328 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

02 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm #21
Centenary Bus 8319 on her first "non-contract" service today, by having a run out on the 61.

3974 was being road tested on Chester Road, Sunderland, about 5 mins ago. Presumably ran from the depot, up Hylton Road, around the hospital and back down Chester Road before heading to the depot again.

8273 escaped 36/39s today and found herself being allocated to the 60.
Dan
02 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm #21

Centenary Bus 8319 on her first "non-contract" service today, by having a run out on the 61.

3974 was being road tested on Chester Road, Sunderland, about 5 mins ago. Presumably ran from the depot, up Hylton Road, around the hospital and back down Chester Road before heading to the depot again.

8273 escaped 36/39s today and found herself being allocated to the 60.

Andreos1

02 Jul 2013, 5:33 pm #22
(02 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm)aureolin
(02 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm)gtomlinson The 'last' bus of the night always had a poor reputation so god knows what people think of a nightbus. Think its just our culture up here!

You're right there mind! I bet anyone who used the last 638 between Sunderland and Heworth on a regular basis could tell a tale or two. Rolleyes

As has been mentioned, it can often be cheaper in a taxi if there are a few people. Those with a pass couldn't use it and there's also the aspect that I came across after using the 21 and hoping to get a taxi for the final leg from Chester. There wasn't any. I can't be the only one who doesn't live on the route of a nightbus.
I imagine wages will be higher than normal too, with overtime premiums.

Just a quick thing to add.

The Renowns and an SPD have been on the M1 today.

There has also been an issue with the 71 tonight - 8289 was running NIS from Chester towards Houghton when I spotted it at Woodstone Village about 6.50. Twenty mins later I saw it heading to Chester in service at Castle Dene. A Key branded SPD which was on time and working the Houghton journey, passed in the opposite direction.
Not sure what the issue was, but it 8289 was obviously running late and had potentially replaced a broken down vehicle somewhere between Fencehouses and Houghton.
Edited 02 Jul 2013, 5:39 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
02 Jul 2013, 5:33 pm #22

(02 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm)aureolin
(02 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm)gtomlinson The 'last' bus of the night always had a poor reputation so god knows what people think of a nightbus. Think its just our culture up here!

You're right there mind! I bet anyone who used the last 638 between Sunderland and Heworth on a regular basis could tell a tale or two. Rolleyes

As has been mentioned, it can often be cheaper in a taxi if there are a few people. Those with a pass couldn't use it and there's also the aspect that I came across after using the 21 and hoping to get a taxi for the final leg from Chester. There wasn't any. I can't be the only one who doesn't live on the route of a nightbus.
I imagine wages will be higher than normal too, with overtime premiums.

Just a quick thing to add.

The Renowns and an SPD have been on the M1 today.

There has also been an issue with the 71 tonight - 8289 was running NIS from Chester towards Houghton when I spotted it at Woodstone Village about 6.50. Twenty mins later I saw it heading to Chester in service at Castle Dene. A Key branded SPD which was on time and working the Houghton journey, passed in the opposite direction.
Not sure what the issue was, but it 8289 was obviously running late and had potentially replaced a broken down vehicle somewhere between Fencehouses and Houghton.

02 Jul 2013, 8:54 pm #23
(02 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm)gtomlinson
(02 Jul 2013, 1:35 pm)aureolin Disappointing to see another night bus go. I've always wondered why they don't get as much use as they should. Given the alternative is at least £10 in a taxi between Newcastle and either destination.

I think the North East in general is attuned to using taxis. We've a relatively high car ownership and low public transport usage stats We've never had a great night bus service in modern times (including NightRider)

It's £3 from Newcastle to Low Fell but with a local taxi firm it's not much more in a cab, especially with friends.

The 'last' bus of the night always had a poor reputation so god knows what people think of a nightbus. Think its just our culture up here!

I'm not sure where you get your information from - but outside of London, the North East is the region with the highest number of public transport journeys (proportional to population size) and also has the highest proportion of no-car households outside of London. So quite the reverse of what you state, on both points.
stagecoachbusdepot
02 Jul 2013, 8:54 pm #23

(02 Jul 2013, 1:35 pm)aureolin Disappointing to see another night bus go. I've always wondered why they don't get as much use as they should. Given the alternative is at least £10 in a taxi between Newcastle and either destination.

I think the North East in general is attuned to using taxis. We've a relatively high car ownership and low public transport usage stats We've never had a great night bus service in modern times (including NightRider)

It's £3 from Newcastle to Low Fell but with a local taxi firm it's not much more in a cab, especially with friends.

The 'last' bus of the night always had a poor reputation so god knows what people think of a nightbus. Think its just our culture up here!

I'm not sure where you get your information from - but outside of London, the North East is the region with the highest number of public transport journeys (proportional to population size) and also has the highest proportion of no-car households outside of London. So quite the reverse of what you state, on both points.

Acky81

03 Jul 2013, 6:54 am #24
8268 cadet looks smart on the 39 wish they would use these all the time instead of the clapped out SPDs. 42 travelling on the wrong simplicity using the every 15min frequency as used by the 61 service
Acky81
03 Jul 2013, 6:54 am #24

8268 cadet looks smart on the 39 wish they would use these all the time instead of the clapped out SPDs. 42 travelling on the wrong simplicity using the every 15min frequency as used by the 61 service

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jul 2013, 7:04 am #25
Anyone still waiting to catch 8273 in Northern - she's on the 38s today, and is at Park Lane now.
Also, new van 1031 is at Park Lane now. Anyone know hoiw many (roughly) Deptford have? I spotted three or so in the depot on my last visit, but it's the first time today I've actually seen one being used!
Dan
03 Jul 2013, 7:04 am #25

Anyone still waiting to catch 8273 in Northern - she's on the 38s today, and is at Park Lane now.
Also, new van 1031 is at Park Lane now. Anyone know hoiw many (roughly) Deptford have? I spotted three or so in the depot on my last visit, but it's the first time today I've actually seen one being used!

Adrian

03 Jul 2013, 8:40 am #26
(02 Jul 2013, 8:54 pm)stagecoachbusdepot

Data is here if anyone is interested;
Car ownership - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...ts9902.xls

Bus usage - https://www.gov.uk/government/statistica...r-journeys

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Jul 2013, 8:40 am #26

(02 Jul 2013, 8:54 pm)stagecoachbusdepot

Data is here if anyone is interested;
Car ownership - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...ts9902.xls

Bus usage - https://www.gov.uk/government/statistica...r-journeys

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

gtom

Banned

03 Jul 2013, 11:52 am #27
The data I have is different to the one provided. I too am using ONS and Department of Transport data but more specific City data which discounts rural bus use.

I'll have to ask another department whether I can use it or not as its not published on gov.uk website at the moment
gtom
03 Jul 2013, 11:52 am #27

The data I have is different to the one provided. I too am using ONS and Department of Transport data but more specific City data which discounts rural bus use.

I'll have to ask another department whether I can use it or not as its not published on gov.uk website at the moment

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jul 2013, 3:12 pm #28
East Durham MPD on the 99 heading to Silksworth. At the Royal Hospital now.
Dan
03 Jul 2013, 3:12 pm #28

East Durham MPD on the 99 heading to Silksworth. At the Royal Hospital now.

Tom

03 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm #29
Hi - Does anyone know where 506 is likely to be?
Tom
03 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm #29

Hi - Does anyone know where 506 is likely to be?

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jul 2013, 3:30 pm #30
(03 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm)W179SCU Hi - Does anyone know where 506 is likely to be?

506 is unlikely to appear now, unless she really needs to be out - you've left it too late now for it to be 'likely' to catch her out in-service, in my opinion.

Previously acting as the 238's allocated spare (from what I gather), "East Durham" MPD 540 has since been transferred to Deptford from Peterlee, so they have a branded spare now.

With one board now operated by Compass Community Transport, Go North East need not have one board operated by an MPD and the other by a "Nexus" SR, and as such, a yellow MPD has been freed up there.

All she should appear on, if anything, is Deptford's peak time Staff Shuttles. The likelihood of that happening is also slim, given that Deptford have seemingly ceased operation of their additional staff shuttle which used a bus.

I last spotted her last month on the 99, but before then, I've seen her work primarily on service 238, but on services 39 and 60 also.
Dan
03 Jul 2013, 3:30 pm #30

506 is unlikely to appear now, unless she really needs to be out - you've left it too late now for it to be 'likely' to catch her out in-service, in my opinion.

Previously acting as the 238's allocated spare (from what I gather), "East Durham" MPD 540 has since been transferred to Deptford from Peterlee, so they have a branded spare now.

With one board now operated by Compass Community Transport, Go North East need not have one board operated by an MPD and the other by a "Nexus" SR, and as such, a yellow MPD has been freed up there.

All she should appear on, if anything, is Deptford's peak time Staff Shuttles. The likelihood of that happening is also slim, given that Deptford have seemingly ceased operation of their additional staff shuttle which used a bus.

I last spotted her last month on the 99, but before then, I've seen her work primarily on service 238, but on services 39 and 60 also.

Tom

03 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm #31
(03 Jul 2013, 3:30 pm)Daniel

Oh no - What about her seeing use on the 99? Undecided
Tom
03 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm #31

(03 Jul 2013, 3:30 pm)Daniel

Oh no - What about her seeing use on the 99? Undecided

cbma06

03 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm #32
I was told by a Deptford driver this afternoon that there was an RTA just outside of Durham City this morning and a rear wheel came off the bus on service 20, don't know if it was a prince bishop branded bus or normal bus, forgot to ask him as I only spoken to the driver for a brief time.

I know that Arriva service 22 and 24 were heavily delayed this morning by the RTA so must of been between Gilesgate and Durham Bus Station.

Anybody got any updates about what the fleet number was?.
Edited 03 Jul 2013, 5:54 pm by cbma06.

cbma06
03 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm #32

I was told by a Deptford driver this afternoon that there was an RTA just outside of Durham City this morning and a rear wheel came off the bus on service 20, don't know if it was a prince bishop branded bus or normal bus, forgot to ask him as I only spoken to the driver for a brief time.

I know that Arriva service 22 and 24 were heavily delayed this morning by the RTA so must of been between Gilesgate and Durham Bus Station.

Malarkey

03 Jul 2013, 6:15 pm #33
03/07/2013 Odd Workings

5254 NK56 KJA GNE Cobalt Clipper Scania Omnicity on the Coaster Service 1 to Whitley Bay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9203131558/

8320 NK11 FXC GNE Simplicity Optare Versa on the FAB56 Service 56 to Sunderland
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...otostream/

4949 NK51 OLP GNE PoppyBus Wright Solar on the Tyne Tees Xpress Service X9 to Middlesbrough

4947 NK51 OLN GNE Highwayman Wright Solar on the 24 to Wrekenton

Also the Red Arrows Geminis have all from what I've seen had the blinds done and the Number is now similar to that on the Mercs on the 27, Obviously been done in the last two days as none of them were done on Monday. Although come to think of it there wasn't many 11reg Geminis on the X1 on Monday, as there was 4 Plaxton Presidents on in there place. Either way they've been done in the last few days.
Malarkey
03 Jul 2013, 6:15 pm #33

03/07/2013 Odd Workings

5254 NK56 KJA GNE Cobalt Clipper Scania Omnicity on the Coaster Service 1 to Whitley Bay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9203131558/

8320 NK11 FXC GNE Simplicity Optare Versa on the FAB56 Service 56 to Sunderland

4949 NK51 OLP GNE PoppyBus Wright Solar on the Tyne Tees Xpress Service X9 to Middlesbrough

4947 NK51 OLN GNE Highwayman Wright Solar on the 24 to Wrekenton

Also the Red Arrows Geminis have all from what I've seen had the blinds done and the Number is now similar to that on the Mercs on the 27, Obviously been done in the last two days as none of them were done on Monday. Although come to think of it there wasn't many 11reg Geminis on the X1 on Monday, as there was 4 Plaxton Presidents on in there place. Either way they've been done in the last few days.

Andreos1

03 Jul 2013, 6:49 pm #34
(03 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm)cbma06 I was told by a Deptford driver this afternoon that there was an RTA just outside of Durham City this morning and a rear wheel came off the bus on service 20, don't know if it was a prince bishop branded bus or normal bus, forgot to ask him as I only spoken to the driver for a brief time.

I heard about the RTC on Leazes Bowl Roundabout this morning - but don't know what damage there was.

It must have been 1pm I drove through the area and there was no debris etc like there can be after a bump.
However as I was heading up the A690 towards the A1(M) a branded Prince Bishops was heading NIS towards Durham. He didn't seem to be in any rush...
Andreos1
03 Jul 2013, 6:49 pm #34

(03 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm)cbma06 I was told by a Deptford driver this afternoon that there was an RTA just outside of Durham City this morning and a rear wheel came off the bus on service 20, don't know if it was a prince bishop branded bus or normal bus, forgot to ask him as I only spoken to the driver for a brief time.

I heard about the RTC on Leazes Bowl Roundabout this morning - but don't know what damage there was.

It must have been 1pm I drove through the area and there was no debris etc like there can be after a bump.
However as I was heading up the A690 towards the A1(M) a branded Prince Bishops was heading NIS towards Durham. He didn't seem to be in any rush...

03 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm #35
I thought they had abandoned that idea as only several routes have been done. I still think the 35 should get the old style number back as the orangey colour looks horrible on the mercs.
03 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm #35

I thought they had abandoned that idea as only several routes have been done. I still think the 35 should get the old style number back as the orangey colour looks horrible on the mercs.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

03 Jul 2013, 8:53 pm #36
506 Green MPD was out yesterday, it was pulled in at the waiting are at the south side of Park Lane. Don't think she went on the 238 however, but she must of went onto a service that way so the 60/61/42/38/700. Was in Sunderland most of the morning and I saw it in a stand couldn't tell you wich one, possibly the 60 as I don't think she was the 61 saw most of their allocated vehicles (including my first ride on 100 years centenary bus).
CatsFast101
03 Jul 2013, 8:53 pm #36

506 Green MPD was out yesterday, it was pulled in at the waiting are at the south side of Park Lane. Don't think she went on the 238 however, but she must of went onto a service that way so the 60/61/42/38/700. Was in Sunderland most of the morning and I saw it in a stand couldn't tell you wich one, possibly the 60 as I don't think she was the 61 saw most of their allocated vehicles (including my first ride on 100 years centenary bus).

gtom

Banned

03 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm #37
Pleasing to hear there are no redundancies as a result of the OK1 withdrawal. Must have been a concern initially
Edited 03 Jul 2013, 9:54 pm by gtom.
gtom
03 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm #37

Pleasing to hear there are no redundancies as a result of the OK1 withdrawal. Must have been a concern initially

BJ10VUS

04 Jul 2013, 8:15 am #38
It'll be interesting to see what the extra 3-4 minutes in the 'Crusader' 27 timetable will do to aid reliability. In my opinion, it's only really the Monkton Lane Estate - Jarrow section that's the 'problem' so to speak.
BJ10VUS
04 Jul 2013, 8:15 am #38

It'll be interesting to see what the extra 3-4 minutes in the 'Crusader' 27 timetable will do to aid reliability. In my opinion, it's only really the Monkton Lane Estate - Jarrow section that's the 'problem' so to speak.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jul 2013, 3:11 pm #39
From SPDs to a Versa, the short 39 runs were given a touch of class today while centenary Versa 8319 was allocated.
Just left Park Lane about 5 mins ago for anyone wanting a photo.

Repainted Northern Cadet 8273 on 38s for anyone wanting a photo. Also at Park Lane now.
Dan
04 Jul 2013, 3:11 pm #39

From SPDs to a Versa, the short 39 runs were given a touch of class today while centenary Versa 8319 was allocated.
Just left Park Lane about 5 mins ago for anyone wanting a photo.

Repainted Northern Cadet 8273 on 38s for anyone wanting a photo. Also at Park Lane now.

04 Jul 2013, 4:37 pm #40
(04 Jul 2013, 8:15 am)BJ10VUS It'll be interesting to see what the extra 3-4 minutes in the 'Crusader' 27 timetable will do to aid reliability. In my opinion, it's only really the Monkton Lane Estate - Jarrow section that's the 'problem' so to speak.

Sorry, Monkton Lane Estate - Jarrow is not the problem (I live in that area).

My Opinion is South Shields to Jarrow due to high volume, which means that the mercs can't hope and i think they should have left the renown's . I think the 27X should have been SS-Jarow instead.
Panasonic44
04 Jul 2013, 4:37 pm #40

(04 Jul 2013, 8:15 am)BJ10VUS It'll be interesting to see what the extra 3-4 minutes in the 'Crusader' 27 timetable will do to aid reliability. In my opinion, it's only really the Monkton Lane Estate - Jarrow section that's the 'problem' so to speak.

Sorry, Monkton Lane Estate - Jarrow is not the problem (I live in that area).

My Opinion is South Shields to Jarrow due to high volume, which means that the mercs can't hope and i think they should have left the renown's . I think the 27X should have been SS-Jarow instead.

Pages (28): Previous 1 2 328 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average