Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (61): 1 2 361 Next
legend

Unregistered

01 Nov 2013, 10:54 am #1
(30 Oct 2013, 5:42 am)Dan Both vehicles were fixed. I've taken photos of both after complaints were made on this forum and e-mails were sent to the engineering department at Deptford.

Well it needs re-doing, it was only yesterday or the day before that I saw it dancing!!!
legend
01 Nov 2013, 10:54 am #1

(30 Oct 2013, 5:42 am)Dan Both vehicles were fixed. I've taken photos of both after complaints were made on this forum and e-mails were sent to the engineering department at Deptford.

Well it needs re-doing, it was only yesterday or the day before that I saw it dancing!!!

legend

Unregistered

01 Nov 2013, 11:03 am #2
(30 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm)gtomlinson Over a decade old they aren't in peak condition. I personally don't like em

I don't think it's just your Waggonway Solars that are pap...
They are useless on Prince Bishops, Waggonway, Laser, Fast Cats, Toon Link, Whey Aye Five-O, Fab Fifty Six, Tynedale Express, Loop, Highwayman. I can't stand them... the heating doesn't work, they rattle, the squeak, they clunk, they are uncomfortable, they break down... Get my drift? I would argue that the B10BLE's are better than the Solars...
legend
01 Nov 2013, 11:03 am #2

(30 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm)gtomlinson Over a decade old they aren't in peak condition. I personally don't like em

I don't think it's just your Waggonway Solars that are pap...
They are useless on Prince Bishops, Waggonway, Laser, Fast Cats, Toon Link, Whey Aye Five-O, Fab Fifty Six, Tynedale Express, Loop, Highwayman. I can't stand them... the heating doesn't work, they rattle, the squeak, they clunk, they are uncomfortable, they break down... Get my drift? I would argue that the B10BLE's are better than the Solars...

Michael

01 Nov 2013, 11:14 am #3
(01 Nov 2013, 11:03 am)the pilot I don't think it's just your Waggonway Solars that are pap...

I like the Solar's but it looks like most of them are being pushed back as spares now, look at:
4934 - Repainted but still see's use on the 56.
4966 - all Northern
+ most or all of the FAB 56's will go Northern to but the X7 will hopefully get 4 of them.
Edited 01 Nov 2013, 11:15 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Nov 2013, 11:14 am #3

(01 Nov 2013, 11:03 am)the pilot I don't think it's just your Waggonway Solars that are pap...

I like the Solar's but it looks like most of them are being pushed back as spares now, look at:
4966 - all Northern
+ most or all of the FAB 56's will go Northern to but the X7 will hopefully get 4 of them.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

01 Nov 2013, 11:27 am #4
(01 Nov 2013, 11:14 am)Michael I like the Solar's but it looks like most of them are being pushed back as spares now, look at:
4966 - all Northern

To be fair, they have been flogged to death over the years on high frequency suburban services like the M1, 20 and 56 as well as some of the second hand examples, which have been shunted around the depots and faced every time of run going.

They have done their job well, but are suffering for it now.

Will give them another 2 years, before being shipped off.

Edit. Just noticed a comment on the fb page re a broken down 50. Presumably a Solar...
Edited 01 Nov 2013, 11:30 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Nov 2013, 11:27 am #4

(01 Nov 2013, 11:14 am)Michael I like the Solar's but it looks like most of them are being pushed back as spares now, look at:
4966 - all Northern

To be fair, they have been flogged to death over the years on high frequency suburban services like the M1, 20 and 56 as well as some of the second hand examples, which have been shunted around the depots and faced every time of run going.

Edit. Just noticed a comment on the fb page re a broken down 50. Presumably a Solar...

Michael

01 Nov 2013, 11:46 am #5
(01 Nov 2013, 11:27 am)Andreos1 To be fair, they have been flogged to death over the years on high frequency suburban services like the M1, 20 and 56 as well as some of the second hand examples, which have been shunted around the depots and faced every time of run going.

Ye, they have being used on quite long routes over the year's.

Wonder what GNE could replace all 87 with though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Nov 2013, 11:46 am #5

(01 Nov 2013, 11:27 am)Andreos1 To be fair, they have been flogged to death over the years on high frequency suburban services like the M1, 20 and 56 as well as some of the second hand examples, which have been shunted around the depots and faced every time of run going.

Ye, they have being used on quite long routes over the year's.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

01 Nov 2013, 11:53 am #6
(01 Nov 2013, 11:46 am)Michael Ye, they have being used on quite long routes over the year's.

Is that how many there are?

It is going take another massive investment by GNE to replace them.

Suppose that is what happens, when purchases are made in one big go - you get cycles of brand new purchases like in early 80's, early 90's, early 00's and early 10's, supplemented by second hand examples arriving in late 90's, late 00's and probably again in 2-3 years time.

Andreos1
01 Nov 2013, 11:53 am #6

(01 Nov 2013, 11:46 am)Michael Ye, they have being used on quite long routes over the year's.

Is that how many there are?

Suppose that is what happens, when purchases are made in one big go - you get cycles of brand new purchases like in early 80's, early 90's, early 00's and early 10's, supplemented by second hand examples arriving in late 90's, late 00's and probably again in 2-3 years time.

Michael

01 Nov 2013, 11:57 am #7
(01 Nov 2013, 11:53 am)Andreos1 Is that how many there are?

I'm going by the fleet list on here, i think they will be around for a while yet, isn't it 2017? when the government want all buses to be a certain clean engine

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Nov 2013, 11:57 am #7

(01 Nov 2013, 11:53 am)Andreos1 Is that how many there are?

I'm going by the fleet list on here, i think they will be around for a while yet, isn't it 2017? when the government want all buses to be a certain clean engine

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

01 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm #8
(01 Nov 2013, 11:57 am)Michael I'm going by the fleet list on here, i think they will be around for a while yet, isn't it 2017? when the government want all buses to be a certain clean engine

Not sure on the date for Euro standards, but the Government handout that was mentioned the other day, obviously saves the operators from spending massive amounts of money on replacements or getting them re-engined for a year or two yet.

Andreos1
01 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm #8

(01 Nov 2013, 11:57 am)Michael I'm going by the fleet list on here, i think they will be around for a while yet, isn't it 2017? when the government want all buses to be a certain clean engine

Not sure on the date for Euro standards, but the Government handout that was mentioned the other day, obviously saves the operators from spending massive amounts of money on replacements or getting them re-engined for a year or two yet.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm #9
Liam has sent me some photos of the branded Citylink in daylight, and has asked me to upload it for you all to see.
I can assure you all that this photo was indeed taken from the outside of the depot premises.

See attached.
.jpg
SAM_0424.JPG
Size: 536.48 KB / Downloads: 854
Dan
01 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm #9

Liam has sent me some photos of the branded Citylink in daylight, and has asked me to upload it for you all to see.
I can assure you all that this photo was indeed taken from the outside of the depot premises.

See attached.

.jpg
SAM_0424.JPG
Size: 536.48 KB / Downloads: 854

Michael

01 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm #10
(01 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm)Dan Liam has sent me some photos of the branded Citylink in daylight, and has asked me to upload it for you all to see.

See attached.

Let's hope so Tongue, it looks good

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm #10

(01 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm)Dan Liam has sent me some photos of the branded Citylink in daylight, and has asked me to upload it for you all to see.

See attached.

Let's hope so Tongue, it looks good

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

01 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm #11
(01 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm)Andreos1 Not sure on the date for Euro standards, but the Government handout that was mentioned the other day, obviously saves the operators from spending massive amounts of money on replacements or getting them re-engined for a year or two yet.

Well on the latest fleet allocation it has underlined all vehicles which aren't DDA compliant. That's all Olympians, B10BLE's, East Lancs Tridents, Plaxton MPD's (501-514) & Plaxton SPD's (8215-8233). So I think they'll leave the fleet before Solars. Tbh I don't think anyone of the Solars are in too bad nick are they?
CatsFast101
01 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm #11

(01 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm)Andreos1 Not sure on the date for Euro standards, but the Government handout that was mentioned the other day, obviously saves the operators from spending massive amounts of money on replacements or getting them re-engined for a year or two yet.

Well on the latest fleet allocation it has underlined all vehicles which aren't DDA compliant. That's all Olympians, B10BLE's, East Lancs Tridents, Plaxton MPD's (501-514) & Plaxton SPD's (8215-8233). So I think they'll leave the fleet before Solars. Tbh I don't think anyone of the Solars are in too bad nick are they?

Andreos1

01 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm #12
(01 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm)CatsFast101 Well on the latest fleet allocation it has underlined all vehicles which aren't DDA compliant. That's all Olympians, B10BLE's, East Lancs Tridents, Plaxton MPD's (501-514) & Plaxton SPD's (8215-8233). So I think they'll leave the fleet before Solars. Tbh I don't think anyone of the Solars are in too bad nick are they?

Some of the Solars are rough.
Just remembered the massive number of Prince Bishops which were VOR for a number of weeks due to repairs/defects a few months back.

There are also the other examples which have been given.

It will surely get to the point, where some of those repairs are no longer economically viable.

As I said earlier, these vehicles have been working, high intensity, high frequency services for a good while now.
No matter how good of a vehicle they were initially, logic states they will be worn out due to the nature of runs on the M1, 20, 56 etc.

As for the other vehicles you mentioned above (all of a similar age), you're probably right, they will go in a few years due to DDA legislation - replaced by second hand stock (which meets DDA legislation), to then be supplemented by new vehicles a few years after that.

Andreos1
01 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm #12

(01 Nov 2013, 12:32 pm)CatsFast101 Well on the latest fleet allocation it has underlined all vehicles which aren't DDA compliant. That's all Olympians, B10BLE's, East Lancs Tridents, Plaxton MPD's (501-514) & Plaxton SPD's (8215-8233). So I think they'll leave the fleet before Solars. Tbh I don't think anyone of the Solars are in too bad nick are they?

Some of the Solars are rough.
Just remembered the massive number of Prince Bishops which were VOR for a number of weeks due to repairs/defects a few months back.

There are also the other examples which have been given.

It will surely get to the point, where some of those repairs are no longer economically viable.

As I said earlier, these vehicles have been working, high intensity, high frequency services for a good while now.
No matter how good of a vehicle they were initially, logic states they will be worn out due to the nature of runs on the M1, 20, 56 etc.

As for the other vehicles you mentioned above (all of a similar age), you're probably right, they will go in a few years due to DDA legislation - replaced by second hand stock (which meets DDA legislation), to then be supplemented by new vehicles a few years after that.

eezypeazy

01 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm #13
Interesting speculation...

In the Voluntary Partnership offer from the bus companies, there's a table headed 'Euro engine standard of Tyne and Wear fleet'. That shows the number of Euro II, III and IV engined buses falling, being replaced by Euro VI-engined buses in the main. The implication of this is that the three big operators don't envisage second-hand replacements for existing buses that operate in, or into, T & W.

I suspect the days of 'cascades' (out of London in particular) might be numbered, especially as partnerships in other conurbations seem to be delivering new buses, too.
eezypeazy
01 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm #13

Interesting speculation...

In the Voluntary Partnership offer from the bus companies, there's a table headed 'Euro engine standard of Tyne and Wear fleet'. That shows the number of Euro II, III and IV engined buses falling, being replaced by Euro VI-engined buses in the main. The implication of this is that the three big operators don't envisage second-hand replacements for existing buses that operate in, or into, T & W.

I suspect the days of 'cascades' (out of London in particular) might be numbered, especially as partnerships in other conurbations seem to be delivering new buses, too.

Andreos1

01 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm #14
(01 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm)eezypeazy Interesting speculation...

or the engines are retro-fitted with catalytic kits, up-rating the engine and Euro spec as has been done previously and likely to happen in the future too...

Andreos1
01 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm #14

(01 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm)eezypeazy Interesting speculation...

or the engines are retro-fitted with catalytic kits, up-rating the engine and Euro spec as has been done previously and likely to happen in the future too...

eezypeazy

01 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm #15
... except I don't think it's possible to retrofit a bus and bring it up to Euro VI standard... something about the additional kit required needs more space than is available in the engine bay... but I may be wrong...

So, the table suggests the operators plan to buy new buses...
eezypeazy
01 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm #15

... except I don't think it's possible to retrofit a bus and bring it up to Euro VI standard... something about the additional kit required needs more space than is available in the engine bay... but I may be wrong...

Andreos1

01 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm #16
(01 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm)eezypeazy ... except I don't think it's possible to retrofit a bus and bring it up to Euro VI standard... something about the additional kit required needs more space than is available in the engine bay... but I may be wrong...

any details on how these new buses will be funded?
Essentially a new fleet - bought by increasing fares or will it be done via a share release?

If it is via a share release, then the only way the investors will get their money back will be for the operators to increase their profit margins

Andreos1
01 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm #16

(01 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm)eezypeazy ... except I don't think it's possible to retrofit a bus and bring it up to Euro VI standard... something about the additional kit required needs more space than is available in the engine bay... but I may be wrong...

any details on how these new buses will be funded?
Essentially a new fleet - bought by increasing fares or will it be done via a share release?

If it is via a share release, then the only way the investors will get their money back will be for the operators to increase their profit margins

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm #17
Now that I'm back from Paris, it's time for me to come back to the forum with all of the Saltmeadows Road depot happenings...!
  • On Tuesday 3964 was stripped of its Real Radio vinyls and has been out in service since Wednesday in a plain yellow base livery, awaiting its special Children in Need vinyls. A few enthusiasts managed to get photos today, one of which can be seen here.
  • 8304 is the latest Versa to have been repainted into its green base livery prior to gaining "Lambton Worm" vinyls.
  • 570 is the latest - and final - MPD to have been repainted from Washington. Unlike 566-569, this is in a "Northern" livery as it is to remain at Washington as a spare.
  • 4936 is the latest Solar to have been repainted into its new "Northern" livery.

EDIT: I have also updated NEB's GNE fleet list to include all Streetlites now that all have arrived (the last two Parks may not have arrived, but will by Monday!). See Drifter examples here and Saltwell Park examples here. I note that GNE's official fleet list lists 5369 as NL63 XAC, but we all know that it is really NL63 XAZ - so I've used the correct reg! Wink
Dan
01 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm #17

Now that I'm back from Paris, it's time for me to come back to the forum with all of the Saltmeadows Road depot happenings...!

• On Tuesday 3964 was stripped of its Real Radio vinyls and has been out in service since Wednesday in a plain yellow base livery, awaiting its special Children in Need vinyls. A few enthusiasts managed to get photos today, one of which can be seen here.
  • 8304 is the latest Versa to have been repainted into its green base livery prior to gaining "Lambton Worm" vinyls.
  • 570 is the latest - and final - MPD to have been repainted from Washington. Unlike 566-569, this is in a "Northern" livery as it is to remain at Washington as a spare.
  • 4936 is the latest Solar to have been repainted into its new "Northern" livery.

EDIT: I have also updated NEB's GNE fleet list to include all Streetlites now that all have arrived (the last two Parks may not have arrived, but will by Monday!). See Drifter examples here and Saltwell Park examples here. I note that GNE's official fleet list lists 5369 as NL63 XAC, but we all know that it is really NL63 XAZ - so I've used the correct reg! Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm #18
I remember hearing about this one a while ago, but the first photo has appeared on Flickr this evening...
3858 has received a rear advertisement - see photo here.

Also, Winlaton-based Vyking 3970 looks to have received a new allover advertisement too.
[Image: 1381843_343006192509498_1665890641_n.jpg]

Photo credit to Michael Mccalla. on Facebook.

Will try and catch up with it tomorrow to get a better photo.
Dan
01 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm #18

I remember hearing about this one a while ago, but the first photo has appeared on Flickr this evening...

Also, Winlaton-based Vyking 3970 looks to have received a new allover advertisement too.

Michael

01 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm #19
(01 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm)Dan Now that I'm back from Paris, it's time for me to come back to the forum with all of the Saltmeadows Road depot happenings...!

Both the new Drifter and Saltwell Park brands are good =)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm #19

(01 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm)Dan Now that I'm back from Paris, it's time for me to come back to the forum with all of the Saltmeadows Road depot happenings...!

Both the new Drifter and Saltwell Park brands are good =)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Tom

02 Nov 2013, 9:09 am #20
(01 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm)Dan I remember hearing about this one a while ago, but the first photo has appeared on Flickr this evening...

3859 and 3871 also have rear advertisements. All three are different though.
Tom
02 Nov 2013, 9:09 am #20

(01 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm)Dan I remember hearing about this one a while ago, but the first photo has appeared on Flickr this evening...

3859 and 3871 also have rear advertisements. All three are different though.

Pages (61): 1 2 361 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average