Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (72): 1 2 372 Next
G-CPTN

01 Feb 2014, 12:05 am #1
(31 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm)Dan A few photographs on my Flickr of vehicles entering Gateshead/Winlaton depot for the final time from this evening.

All photographs were taken from outside the depot premises.

At what stage do the drivers hand over to depot staff for refuelling and wash?

Do the drivers 'jump ship' at the 'terminus' (job done) or do they drive to the depot and park up then leave? I can't imagine that the average driver will be educated in vehicle maintenance (at least not the ones that I have spoken to).
G-CPTN
01 Feb 2014, 12:05 am #1

(31 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm)Dan A few photographs on my Flickr of vehicles entering Gateshead/Winlaton depot for the final time from this evening.

All photographs were taken from outside the depot premises.

At what stage do the drivers hand over to depot staff for refuelling and wash?

Do the drivers 'jump ship' at the 'terminus' (job done) or do they drive to the depot and park up then leave? I can't imagine that the average driver will be educated in vehicle maintenance (at least not the ones that I have spoken to).

Kuyoyo

01 Feb 2014, 12:13 am #2
(01 Feb 2014, 12:05 am)G-CPTN At what stage do the drivers hand over to depot staff for refuelling and wash?

Drivers take the buses back to the depot, as most will be finishing their shifts so will have other jobs to do in the depot, cashing in if not already done this before depending where the service actually finishes (just to use an example I know of, a Stagecoach on Teesside driver finishing on the 36 in Hartlepool or down at Park End won't cash in until he reaches the depot whereas one finishing on the 58 in Stockton has the chance to go into their break room in the travel office to cash in) and drop in their running/duty board (depending on company, Stagecoach and Arriva use running boards where I believe most GNE depots use duty boards).
Kuyoyo
01 Feb 2014, 12:13 am #2

(01 Feb 2014, 12:05 am)G-CPTN At what stage do the drivers hand over to depot staff for refuelling and wash?

Drivers take the buses back to the depot, as most will be finishing their shifts so will have other jobs to do in the depot, cashing in if not already done this before depending where the service actually finishes (just to use an example I know of, a Stagecoach on Teesside driver finishing on the 36 in Hartlepool or down at Park End won't cash in until he reaches the depot whereas one finishing on the 58 in Stockton has the chance to go into their break room in the travel office to cash in) and drop in their running/duty board (depending on company, Stagecoach and Arriva use running boards where I believe most GNE depots use duty boards).

G-CPTN

01 Feb 2014, 12:25 am #3
But 'non-driving' depot staff do the refuelling/washing?
They draw the vehicles from where the drivers have parked them (in the depot park)?
G-CPTN
01 Feb 2014, 12:25 am #3

But 'non-driving' depot staff do the refuelling/washing?
They draw the vehicles from where the drivers have parked them (in the depot park)?

tyresmoke

01 Feb 2014, 12:34 am #4
(01 Feb 2014, 12:25 am)G-CPTN But 'non-driving' depot staff do the refuelling/washing?

I'm not sure how it works at GNE but certainly Arriva and Stagecoach employ shunters who will move them into fuelling, washing and then parking them up. Each depot is different in how they work, some depots the fuel queue extends outside of the depot premises itself.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
01 Feb 2014, 12:34 am #4

(01 Feb 2014, 12:25 am)G-CPTN But 'non-driving' depot staff do the refuelling/washing?

I'm not sure how it works at GNE but certainly Arriva and Stagecoach employ shunters who will move them into fuelling, washing and then parking them up. Each depot is different in how they work, some depots the fuel queue extends outside of the depot premises itself.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Acky81

01 Feb 2014, 12:52 am #5
(30 Jan 2014, 4:53 pm)Michael Just a little thing from GNE on their site about the changes to North Sunderland
------------

Better and faster bus services for north Sunderland

Date: 30 Jan 2014

We have recently made a number of improvements to bus services in north Sunderland.

Service X36

Between Sunderland and Newcastle has been increased from hourly to half-hourly and has joined the ‘Fast Cats’ brand of express services.
The bus provides unique, direct links to Newcastle and Sunderland from from Carley Hill, Witherwack and Hylton Red House, with journey times to Newcastle from the estates of less than 40 minutes.
Service 29

New service with a bus every 20 minutes between Boldon, Town End Farm Castletown, Sunderland, Ryhope and Doxford. Together with existing service 39, there is a bus between Sunderland City centre and Doxford every ten minutes.
New services X36 and 29 replace former services 26 and 36.
Read more information on our Sunderland Bus Briefing page, or view timetables.

Andrew Tyldsley, Go North East’s head of commercial, said: “Following extensive consultation with our passengers and local councillors, we’ve introduced new Service 29 to provide direct connections between north and south Sunderland and to the growing employment site at Doxford International. At the same time, we’ve been able to increase the number of express bus services we offer to Newcastle.”

--------------
And the X36 is now under the Fast Cat's tab on their site with updated info about the Fast Cat's service.

Wonder if any more Express services will join the Fast Cat's brand in the future?

Shame the X3 cut way down.. it could of joined the brand to...

I rode the 209pm x3 from Gateshead to Monkwearmouth 4 passengers all the way fast journey in 30mins but such a shame to see the service reach an all time low!!!
Acky81
01 Feb 2014, 12:52 am #5

(30 Jan 2014, 4:53 pm)Michael Just a little thing from GNE on their site about the changes to North Sunderland
------------

Better and faster bus services for north Sunderland

Date: 30 Jan 2014

We have recently made a number of improvements to bus services in north Sunderland.

Service X36

Between Sunderland and Newcastle has been increased from hourly to half-hourly and has joined the ‘Fast Cats’ brand of express services.
The bus provides unique, direct links to Newcastle and Sunderland from from Carley Hill, Witherwack and Hylton Red House, with journey times to Newcastle from the estates of less than 40 minutes.
Service 29

New service with a bus every 20 minutes between Boldon, Town End Farm Castletown, Sunderland, Ryhope and Doxford. Together with existing service 39, there is a bus between Sunderland City centre and Doxford every ten minutes.
New services X36 and 29 replace former services 26 and 36.
Read more information on our Sunderland Bus Briefing page, or view timetables.

Andrew Tyldsley, Go North East’s head of commercial, said: “Following extensive consultation with our passengers and local councillors, we’ve introduced new Service 29 to provide direct connections between north and south Sunderland and to the growing employment site at Doxford International. At the same time, we’ve been able to increase the number of express bus services we offer to Newcastle.”

--------------
And the X36 is now under the Fast Cat's tab on their site with updated info about the Fast Cat's service.

Wonder if any more Express services will join the Fast Cat's brand in the future?

Shame the X3 cut way down.. it could of joined the brand to...

I rode the 209pm x3 from Gateshead to Monkwearmouth 4 passengers all the way fast journey in 30mins but such a shame to see the service reach an all time low!!!

gtom

Banned

01 Feb 2014, 12:59 am #6
(31 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm)Kuyoyo History of the OmniCitys

5234-43: new to Stanley for 'The Red Kite'
5244-50: new to Stanley for 'West Durham Swift'
5251-3: New to Chester-le-Street as spares in plain red 'Go North East'
5254: initially used at Chester-le-Street in red before moving to Percy Main and repainted for Cobalt Clipper
5255-8: new to Percy Main for Cobalt Clipper
5259-61: new to Stanley/Chester-le-Street in plain white as spares
5262-74: delivered in plain pink, initially used at Washington on Red Arrows before taking up residences at Chester le Street for the 21/22

To add to that...not sure of the exact fleet numbers but the original Stanley Omnicities were used on the 728 and 709 for driver familiarisation before they moved to the Kite/Swift. Was quite a treat when the Marshall Darts disappeared for a few weeks and these turned up
gtom
01 Feb 2014, 12:59 am #6

(31 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm)Kuyoyo History of the OmniCitys

5234-43: new to Stanley for 'The Red Kite'
5244-50: new to Stanley for 'West Durham Swift'
5251-3: New to Chester-le-Street as spares in plain red 'Go North East'
5254: initially used at Chester-le-Street in red before moving to Percy Main and repainted for Cobalt Clipper
5255-8: new to Percy Main for Cobalt Clipper
5259-61: new to Stanley/Chester-le-Street in plain white as spares
5262-74: delivered in plain pink, initially used at Washington on Red Arrows before taking up residences at Chester le Street for the 21/22

To add to that...not sure of the exact fleet numbers but the original Stanley Omnicities were used on the 728 and 709 for driver familiarisation before they moved to the Kite/Swift. Was quite a treat when the Marshall Darts disappeared for a few weeks and these turned up

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Feb 2014, 6:10 am #7
(01 Feb 2014, 12:34 am)tyresmoke I'm not sure how it works at GNE but certainly Arriva and Stagecoach employ shunters who will move them into fuelling, washing and then parking them up. Each depot is different in how they work, some depots the fuel queue extends outside of the depot premises itself.

Same for GNE.
Once you get to the front of the queue, you can leave and hand your bua to one of the depot guys who will refuel it and put it through the wash.
Dan
01 Feb 2014, 6:10 am #7

(01 Feb 2014, 12:34 am)tyresmoke I'm not sure how it works at GNE but certainly Arriva and Stagecoach employ shunters who will move them into fuelling, washing and then parking them up. Each depot is different in how they work, some depots the fuel queue extends outside of the depot premises itself.

Same for GNE.
Once you get to the front of the queue, you can leave and hand your bua to one of the depot guys who will refuel it and put it through the wash.

nk55

01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am #8
Same for GNE.
[/quote]

At chester we have running boards which stay with the vehicle until it returns to depot, we take them through the fuel lane, queue if necessary, then take it through the wash and hand over to yardman once inside the depot.
nk55
01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am #8

Same for GNE.
[/quote]

At chester we have running boards which stay with the vehicle until it returns to depot, we take them through the fuel lane, queue if necessary, then take it through the wash and hand over to yardman once inside the depot.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Feb 2014, 6:42 am #9
(01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am)nk55 At chester we have running boards which stay with the vehicle until it returns to depot, we take them through the fuel lane, queue if necessary, then take it through the wash and hand over to yardman once inside the depot.

Ah, I was talking about Deptford, Winlaton and Gateshead as they're the only ones I've actually seen in action at night.
Dan
01 Feb 2014, 6:42 am #9

(01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am)nk55 At chester we have running boards which stay with the vehicle until it returns to depot, we take them through the fuel lane, queue if necessary, then take it through the wash and hand over to yardman once inside the depot.

Ah, I was talking about Deptford, Winlaton and Gateshead as they're the only ones I've actually seen in action at night.

RM2186

01 Feb 2014, 7:26 am #10

Same applies at Washington
RM2186
01 Feb 2014, 7:26 am #10

Same applies at Washington

01 Feb 2014, 8:02 am #11
(01 Feb 2014, 12:52 am)Acky81 I rode the 209pm x3 from Gateshead to Monkwearmouth 4 passengers all the way fast journey in 30mins but such a shame to see the service reach an all time low!!!

Yes, it's the most useless bus timetable I have ever seen and GNE should be ashamed of it. I'm afraid things like this and the regular service cuts and constant changes by GNE start to make me think that the Nexus Quality Contract might be the way forward, but then I look at Stagecoach in Newcastle and Sunderland and think, no, they do a good job and the QC would be a waste of money. GNE must realise it's no good investing millions in new depots, buses with wi-fi, etc, when they're cutting routes, timetables are rubbish and don't provide useful services. They must look at each route as an entity, rather than a collection of individual journeys, because if you cut one or two runs (especially at the shoulders of the peak or by taking buses out to do schools, both of which they've done to the X3 over the last couple of years and cutting peak journeys on X7 and X21 recently) you destroy the integrity of the route, lessen its usefulness and therefore lose passengers. Also each route must form part of an overall network in which routes link together to provide a complementary structure and enable passengers to connect between routes to travel around the company's area easily.
Greg in Weardale
01 Feb 2014, 8:02 am #11

(01 Feb 2014, 12:52 am)Acky81 I rode the 209pm x3 from Gateshead to Monkwearmouth 4 passengers all the way fast journey in 30mins but such a shame to see the service reach an all time low!!!

Yes, it's the most useless bus timetable I have ever seen and GNE should be ashamed of it. I'm afraid things like this and the regular service cuts and constant changes by GNE start to make me think that the Nexus Quality Contract might be the way forward, but then I look at Stagecoach in Newcastle and Sunderland and think, no, they do a good job and the QC would be a waste of money. GNE must realise it's no good investing millions in new depots, buses with wi-fi, etc, when they're cutting routes, timetables are rubbish and don't provide useful services. They must look at each route as an entity, rather than a collection of individual journeys, because if you cut one or two runs (especially at the shoulders of the peak or by taking buses out to do schools, both of which they've done to the X3 over the last couple of years and cutting peak journeys on X7 and X21 recently) you destroy the integrity of the route, lessen its usefulness and therefore lose passengers. Also each route must form part of an overall network in which routes link together to provide a complementary structure and enable passengers to connect between routes to travel around the company's area easily.

Andreos1

01 Feb 2014, 8:39 am #12
(01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am)nk55 Same for GNE.

[/quote]

with the queues often backing out onto Picktree Lane Wink.
If vehicles were left by the drivers, waiting for depot lads to collect, imagine the traffic outside!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
01 Feb 2014, 8:39 am #12

(01 Feb 2014, 6:40 am)nk55 Same for GNE.

[/quote]

with the queues often backing out onto Picktree Lane Wink.
If vehicles were left by the drivers, waiting for depot lads to collect, imagine the traffic outside!

nk55

01 Feb 2014, 8:47 am #13
(01 Feb 2014, 8:02 am)Greg in Weardale Yes, it's the most useless bus timetable I have ever seen and GNE should be ashamed of it. I'm afraid things like this and the regular service cuts and constant changes by GNE start to make me think that the Nexus Quality Contract might be the way forward, but then I look at Stagecoach in Newcastle and Sunderland and think, no, they do a good job and the QC would be a waste of money. GNE must realise it's no good investing millions in new depots, buses with wi-fi, etc, when they're cutting routes, timetables are rubbish and don't provide useful services. They must look at each route as an entity, rather than a collection of individual journeys, because if you cut one or two runs (especially at the shoulders of the peak or by taking buses out to do schools, both of which they've done to the X3 over the last couple of years and cutting peak journeys on X7 and X21 recently) you destroy the integrity of the route, lessen its usefulness and therefore lose passengers. Also each route must form part of an overall network in which routes link together to provide a complementary structure and enable passengers to connect between routes to travel around the company's area easily.

Cant honestly say by cutting the 18.40 X21 was unjust, it carried very few passengers from newcastle to chester & durham and them hardly any onwards to bishop. Obviously with regards to the X7 the journeys being withdrawn were being used by very few passengers to justify it, and the X3 is in competition with the metro it was never gonna work so having it the way it is because thats what the councilors & the oaps say "they'll use it", want it but only time before it goes tbh.
nk55
01 Feb 2014, 8:47 am #13

(01 Feb 2014, 8:02 am)Greg in Weardale Yes, it's the most useless bus timetable I have ever seen and GNE should be ashamed of it. I'm afraid things like this and the regular service cuts and constant changes by GNE start to make me think that the Nexus Quality Contract might be the way forward, but then I look at Stagecoach in Newcastle and Sunderland and think, no, they do a good job and the QC would be a waste of money. GNE must realise it's no good investing millions in new depots, buses with wi-fi, etc, when they're cutting routes, timetables are rubbish and don't provide useful services. They must look at each route as an entity, rather than a collection of individual journeys, because if you cut one or two runs (especially at the shoulders of the peak or by taking buses out to do schools, both of which they've done to the X3 over the last couple of years and cutting peak journeys on X7 and X21 recently) you destroy the integrity of the route, lessen its usefulness and therefore lose passengers. Also each route must form part of an overall network in which routes link together to provide a complementary structure and enable passengers to connect between routes to travel around the company's area easily.

Cant honestly say by cutting the 18.40 X21 was unjust, it carried very few passengers from newcastle to chester & durham and them hardly any onwards to bishop. Obviously with regards to the X7 the journeys being withdrawn were being used by very few passengers to justify it, and the X3 is in competition with the metro it was never gonna work so having it the way it is because thats what the councilors & the oaps say "they'll use it", want it but only time before it goes tbh.

Andreos1

01 Feb 2014, 8:53 am #14

GNE love the hub and spoke model, ig is what their network is built on these days - but buses from the hub, cant be making much money if local services feeding into the hub are cut.

Look at the cuts the 21 has taken on a morning.
Is it any wonder numbers have dropped, if passengers see their local route cut - they cant get to Durham or Chester to get a 21...

Granted the local services may not make much money, but ultimately, the impact is felt further into the network.

Say the early 21s carried an average of 10 fare paying passengers - not a decent load, but just enough.
6 of those passengers get on the 21 at Chester/Durham, transferring onto it from 4 local services, but see those local services axed due to poor loadings.

End result, that early morning run of the 21 is axed, because it now only carries 4 passengers and makes a loss.

Adam made a very good point about this a few weeks back specific to the costs involved.
Edited 01 Feb 2014, 9:31 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
01 Feb 2014, 8:53 am #14

GNE love the hub and spoke model, ig is what their network is built on these days - but buses from the hub, cant be making much money if local services feeding into the hub are cut.

Is it any wonder numbers have dropped, if passengers see their local route cut - they cant get to Durham or Chester to get a 21...

Granted the local services may not make much money, but ultimately, the impact is felt further into the network.

Say the early 21s carried an average of 10 fare paying passengers - not a decent load, but just enough.
6 of those passengers get on the 21 at Chester/Durham, transferring onto it from 4 local services, but see those local services axed due to poor loadings.

End result, that early morning run of the 21 is axed, because it now only carries 4 passengers and makes a loss.

Adam made a very good point about this a few weeks back specific to the costs involved.

Tom

01 Feb 2014, 8:56 am #15
(01 Feb 2014, 8:47 am)nk55 Cant honestly say by cutting the 18.40 X21 was unjust, it carried very few passengers from newcastle to chester & durham and them hardly any onwards to bishop. Obviously with regards to the X7 the journeys being withdrawn were being used by very few passengers to justify it, and the X3 is in competition with the metro it was never gonna work so having it the way it is because thats what the councilors & the oaps say "they'll use it", want it but only time before it goes tbh.

The ''Pronto'' and ''Wear Tees Express'' were only new services at the time when the evening journeys were removed. It makes sense, because they need to have a good understanding what journeys are being used and what journeys aren't.

If the X3 isn't being used enough, what's the point in running it on a hourly service. The timetable for the X3 has been made so that it is best suited to the times when people are travelling the most. It also provides a faster journey for the people of Fulwell and East Boldon which the passengers should be happy about.
Tom
01 Feb 2014, 8:56 am #15

(01 Feb 2014, 8:47 am)nk55 Cant honestly say by cutting the 18.40 X21 was unjust, it carried very few passengers from newcastle to chester & durham and them hardly any onwards to bishop. Obviously with regards to the X7 the journeys being withdrawn were being used by very few passengers to justify it, and the X3 is in competition with the metro it was never gonna work so having it the way it is because thats what the councilors & the oaps say "they'll use it", want it but only time before it goes tbh.

The ''Pronto'' and ''Wear Tees Express'' were only new services at the time when the evening journeys were removed. It makes sense, because they need to have a good understanding what journeys are being used and what journeys aren't.

If the X3 isn't being used enough, what's the point in running it on a hourly service. The timetable for the X3 has been made so that it is best suited to the times when people are travelling the most. It also provides a faster journey for the people of Fulwell and East Boldon which the passengers should be happy about.

citaro5284

01 Feb 2014, 8:56 am #16
(01 Feb 2014, 8:53 am)andreos1 GNE love the hub and spoke model, ig is what their network is built on these days - but buses from the hub, cant be making much money if local services feeding into the hub are cut.

How many more times am I going to read this.....We get the point.
citaro5284
01 Feb 2014, 8:56 am #16

(01 Feb 2014, 8:53 am)andreos1 GNE love the hub and spoke model, ig is what their network is built on these days - but buses from the hub, cant be making much money if local services feeding into the hub are cut.

How many more times am I going to read this.....We get the point.

Andreos1

01 Feb 2014, 8:57 am #17
(01 Feb 2014, 8:56 am)citaro5284 How many more times am I going to read this.....We get the point.

Has Greg read it before?
Sure I have only used a similar example once like....
Edited 01 Feb 2014, 8:58 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
01 Feb 2014, 8:57 am #17

(01 Feb 2014, 8:56 am)citaro5284 How many more times am I going to read this.....We get the point.

Has Greg read it before?
Sure I have only used a similar example once like....

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Feb 2014, 9:04 am #18
6048 has broken down on the A19 whilst working service X10.
The following X9, 6044, is operating to Stockton as a result.
Dan
01 Feb 2014, 9:04 am #18

6048 has broken down on the A19 whilst working service X10.
The following X9, 6044, is operating to Stockton as a result.

Michael

01 Feb 2014, 9:26 am #19
Last day of Gateshead and Winlaton depot's today.

Let's hope the drivers remember to go to the Riverside depot tonight!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Feb 2014, 9:26 am #19

Last day of Gateshead and Winlaton depot's today.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

01 Feb 2014, 9:28 am #20
(01 Feb 2014, 9:26 am)Michael Last day of Gateshead and Winlaton depot's today.

Wonder how they are going to get back to the depot where they parked the car at the start of their shifts? Wink

Andreos1
01 Feb 2014, 9:28 am #20

(01 Feb 2014, 9:26 am)Michael Last day of Gateshead and Winlaton depot's today.

Wonder how they are going to get back to the depot where they parked the car at the start of their shifts? Wink

Pages (72): 1 2 372 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average