Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (26) Previous 117 18 1926 Next
Michael

20 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm #341
(20 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan Because it's been a commercial success.

Service 26 carried very few passenger numbers prior to those service changes in January, but the loadings on service 29 are very healthy now. It goes to show that the evolving market showed demand for a through route to Doxford Park from North Sunderland, and indeed showed demand to justify a combined 10 minute frequency from Sunderland to Doxford Park!

Service changes are often thought to be 'pointless', and a number of enthusiasts on this forum alone use it as a basis for criticism. Why? Service changes are often formed on the basis of what has already been requested by customers, and they are then well planned to be commercially viable from a team with umpteen amount of years experience doing this... Customers don't always benefit from service changes as some runs of services with low use are sometimes chopped, but I'd suggest that most customers do benefit from changes on the majority of occasions. Whether it's faster journey times, new links being created, or later journey times being implemented...

Can see the difference straight away since changes.

I have a feeling we will see some good changes for Sunderland next year! 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm #341

(20 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan Because it's been a commercial success.

Service 26 carried very few passenger numbers prior to those service changes in January, but the loadings on service 29 are very healthy now. It goes to show that the evolving market showed demand for a through route to Doxford Park from North Sunderland, and indeed showed demand to justify a combined 10 minute frequency from Sunderland to Doxford Park!

Service changes are often thought to be 'pointless', and a number of enthusiasts on this forum alone use it as a basis for criticism. Why? Service changes are often formed on the basis of what has already been requested by customers, and they are then well planned to be commercially viable from a team with umpteen amount of years experience doing this... Customers don't always benefit from service changes as some runs of services with low use are sometimes chopped, but I'd suggest that most customers do benefit from changes on the majority of occasions. Whether it's faster journey times, new links being created, or later journey times being implemented...

Can see the difference straight away since changes.

I have a feeling we will see some good changes for Sunderland next year! 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm #342
Anyway, in an attempt to get some different discussion flowing... The following vehicles have arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint:
  • Stanley's "Northern" branded Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3876 (W186 SCU) into corporate livery, a repaint postponed from the summer due to being on long-term VOR.
  • Deptford's "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5326 (NK58 DWD) for a freshen up silver repaint, which has gone instead of 5323 (for reasons unbeknown to me, as 5323 was out in service today).
  • Percy Main's "Northern" branded Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6025 (V325 LGC) into corporate livery.
Dan
20 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm #342

Anyway, in an attempt to get some different discussion flowing... The following vehicles have arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint:

• Stanley's "Northern" branded Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3876 (W186 SCU) into corporate livery, a repaint postponed from the summer due to being on long-term VOR.
  • Deptford's "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5326 (NK58 DWD) for a freshen up silver repaint, which has gone instead of 5323 (for reasons unbeknown to me, as 5323 was out in service today).
  • Percy Main's "Northern" branded Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6025 (V325 LGC) into corporate livery.

Michael

20 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm #343
(20 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm)Dan Anyway, in an attempt to get some different discussion flowing... The following vehicles have arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint:
  • Stanley's "Northern" branded Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3876 (W186 SCU) into corporate livery, having returned to service after being on long-term VOR.
  • Deptford's "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5326 (NK58 DWD) for a freshen up silver repaint, which has gone instead of 5323 (for reasons unbeknown to me, as 5323 was out in service today)

Wouldn't mind seen a new design for the Silver Arrows, shame we getting the same one as last time and the time before! =( 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm #343

(20 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm)Dan Anyway, in an attempt to get some different discussion flowing... The following vehicles have arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint:
  • Stanley's "Northern" branded Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3876 (W186 SCU) into corporate livery, having returned to service after being on long-term VOR.
  • Deptford's "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5326 (NK58 DWD) for a freshen up silver repaint, which has gone instead of 5323 (for reasons unbeknown to me, as 5323 was out in service today)

Wouldn't mind seen a new design for the Silver Arrows, shame we getting the same one as last time and the time before! =( 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Diamond One

Banned

20 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm #344
(20 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm)Tom When are you going to give it a rest with all of the spamming - it's getting on my nerves. 

Am in the same boat as you Tom i know how you feel i feel the same now i almost told him to stop spanning last night but was too tired 
Diamond One
20 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm #344

(20 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm)Tom When are you going to give it a rest with all of the spamming - it's getting on my nerves. 

Am in the same boat as you Tom i know how you feel i feel the same now i almost told him to stop spanning last night but was too tired 

Acky81

20 Nov 2014, 11:28 pm #345
(20 Nov 2014, 10:34 am)Michael The 29 has survived for a while! =P

29 does really well I've seen big loads on both sides of the wear
Acky81
20 Nov 2014, 11:28 pm #345

(20 Nov 2014, 10:34 am)Michael The 29 has survived for a while! =P

29 does really well I've seen big loads on both sides of the wear

20 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm #346
29 should really termanait at sunderland because ive seen the 29 empty when it gets to boldon i liked to old 26 route lol
gneasy91
20 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm #346

29 should really termanait at sunderland because ive seen the 29 empty when it gets to boldon i liked to old 26 route lol

Tom

21 Nov 2014, 7:39 am #347
(20 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm)gneasy91 29 should really termanait at sunderland because ive seen the 29 empty when it gets to boldon i liked to old 26 route lol

No it shouldn't. The loadings are actually very good around Downhill and Southwick when I've seen it, but the loadings to Boldon ASDA aren't the best.
Tom
21 Nov 2014, 7:39 am #347

(20 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm)gneasy91 29 should really termanait at sunderland because ive seen the 29 empty when it gets to boldon i liked to old 26 route lol

No it shouldn't. The loadings are actually very good around Downhill and Southwick when I've seen it, but the loadings to Boldon ASDA aren't the best.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Nov 2014, 7:49 am #348
(21 Nov 2014, 7:39 am)Tom No it shouldn't. The loadings are actually very good around Downhill and Southwick when I've seen it, but the loadings to Boldon ASDA aren't the best.

..and this is primarily due to the fact there are now five buses per hour between some parts of North Sunderland estates (29 and X36) and Boldon ASDA, and customers opt for the one which comes first more often than not.

Nobody travels from Sunderland City Centre to Boldon ASDA using service 29 due to the fact service 9 does it quicker and it's more frequent.

In the Castletown area, service 29 is very good though. Begs the question why service 26 wasn't as good on this section of the route before - perhaps these customers had contacted Go North East to create a through service onward to Doxford Park, and maybe this is the reason why Go North East made the changes and have grabbed customers back again?
Dan
21 Nov 2014, 7:49 am #348

(21 Nov 2014, 7:39 am)Tom No it shouldn't. The loadings are actually very good around Downhill and Southwick when I've seen it, but the loadings to Boldon ASDA aren't the best.

..and this is primarily due to the fact there are now five buses per hour between some parts of North Sunderland estates (29 and X36) and Boldon ASDA, and customers opt for the one which comes first more often than not.

Nobody travels from Sunderland City Centre to Boldon ASDA using service 29 due to the fact service 9 does it quicker and it's more frequent.

In the Castletown area, service 29 is very good though. Begs the question why service 26 wasn't as good on this section of the route before - perhaps these customers had contacted Go North East to create a through service onward to Doxford Park, and maybe this is the reason why Go North East made the changes and have grabbed customers back again?

Michael

21 Nov 2014, 8:17 am #349
(21 Nov 2014, 7:49 am)Dan ..and this is primarily due to the fact there are now five buses per hour between some parts of North Sunderland estates (29 and X36) and Boldon ASDA, and customers opt for the one which comes first more often than not.

I seen two 29's yesterday both had no seats left.. 1 was heading towards Castletown and the other Doxford park... this was at about 2pm-2:30pm.
Edited 21 Nov 2014, 8:24 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Nov 2014, 8:17 am #349

(21 Nov 2014, 7:49 am)Dan ..and this is primarily due to the fact there are now five buses per hour between some parts of North Sunderland estates (29 and X36) and Boldon ASDA, and customers opt for the one which comes first more often than not.

I seen two 29's yesterday both had no seats left.. 1 was heading towards Castletown and the other Doxford park... this was at about 2pm-2:30pm.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

21 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm #350
(20 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan Not everyone will be able to attend the consultation at Park Lane, similar to how in the past, not everyone has had Internet access to be able to give their feedback with online questionnaires...

Truth of the matter is - no one method is the best way of gathering feedback from customers. Cost will always be prohibitive, limiting the company to certain methods. This is a learning curve for the company, and at least they are trying new ways to engage with customers...

Bit of a brash statement...

Sampling techniques do see a small percentage of people questioned, but the view of one of these people is likely to represent the view of a lot of other customers anyway (much like it does in the actual results). If Go North East were only going to receive the same feedback time and time again, day by day, it would have been a pointless exercise and the time of the employees could have been used more effectively doing other jobs.

Thousands of people go through Park Lane having travelled on buses each day. These people primarily use Go North East buses because they almost have the monopoly at that bus station.
If there's going to be a re-jig up of a number of services which go through Park Lane, the best way to catch a lot of customers is to be in Park Lane (where most customers will travel to/from).

There may be service changes every six months, but how do you know that the services in this consultation will be the same as the services affected in the previous consultation? You don't... Service changes only happen due to changes in customer travelling habits; if customers start making alternative arrangements (for whatever reason) and the company is losing custom on a certain service, changes need to be made to attract these customers back (or even new customers).

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle as it seems nobody is actually listening to the other side of the argument here... Recent posts on this forum have all seemingly suggested that the company doesn't want to hear the views of customers, they've made up their minds already, etc...
Why, therefore, would they hold the consultation? I don't believe that Stagecoach on Teesside held a consultation for their upcoming service changes on Teesside - they simply went ahead and did it.
Can anyone explain why Go North East employees are therefore going to be based in a bus station to collate market research all day, why the company has invited customers to the consultation on their Social Media pages, why the company has gone to the effort of printing notices and pinning them up on Deptford-based buses to attract as many customers to the consultation as possible?

We all know the company have been doing these consultations, across the entire region for quite a few years. I would be slightly concerned if they still viewed it as a learning curve - particularly at the costs involved in each consultation.

There have been points made, with links to specific examples of ambiguous questions - such as the M1/Herrington Burn debacle.

We have already discussed the 1/24 consultation and changes being made on a sample of 4/5% of the population and an 8% return rate.

It has already been pointed out numerous times, that sampling is flawed. I have provided quotes and references to research/studies on sampling in the Passenger Focus thread.

Sampling has been used in the past, in previous consultations - the almost 'twice annual' North Sunderland estate changes are based on those previous consultations.
The company have made changes, based on the feedback they have obtained, yet not long after, have needed to make changes again. Travel patterns won't have altered drastically in that time, yet passenger numbers/financial figures haven't stacked up.
Why?
Did passengers lie? Did the end result differ to the initial proposal? Were the questions misleading? Was reliability an issue following the changes? Or... Was the sample not big enough? 
How many service revisions have we seen in North Sunderland? How many services have been, gone, come back - been jiggled about and then replaced over the last 8 years?

I have said it before and will say it again - there needs to be a range of mediums used in these consultations.
Whether it is a mixture, a combination or all of: Internet, leaflet, face to face, door calls, obtained over a longer period or anything else - only then will you gain the opinions from a wide sample of existing and potential customers.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm #350

(20 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan Not everyone will be able to attend the consultation at Park Lane, similar to how in the past, not everyone has had Internet access to be able to give their feedback with online questionnaires...

Truth of the matter is - no one method is the best way of gathering feedback from customers. Cost will always be prohibitive, limiting the company to certain methods. This is a learning curve for the company, and at least they are trying new ways to engage with customers...

Bit of a brash statement...

Sampling techniques do see a small percentage of people questioned, but the view of one of these people is likely to represent the view of a lot of other customers anyway (much like it does in the actual results). If Go North East were only going to receive the same feedback time and time again, day by day, it would have been a pointless exercise and the time of the employees could have been used more effectively doing other jobs.

Thousands of people go through Park Lane having travelled on buses each day. These people primarily use Go North East buses because they almost have the monopoly at that bus station.
If there's going to be a re-jig up of a number of services which go through Park Lane, the best way to catch a lot of customers is to be in Park Lane (where most customers will travel to/from).

There may be service changes every six months, but how do you know that the services in this consultation will be the same as the services affected in the previous consultation? You don't... Service changes only happen due to changes in customer travelling habits; if customers start making alternative arrangements (for whatever reason) and the company is losing custom on a certain service, changes need to be made to attract these customers back (or even new customers).

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle as it seems nobody is actually listening to the other side of the argument here... Recent posts on this forum have all seemingly suggested that the company doesn't want to hear the views of customers, they've made up their minds already, etc...
Why, therefore, would they hold the consultation? I don't believe that Stagecoach on Teesside held a consultation for their upcoming service changes on Teesside - they simply went ahead and did it.
Can anyone explain why Go North East employees are therefore going to be based in a bus station to collate market research all day, why the company has invited customers to the consultation on their Social Media pages, why the company has gone to the effort of printing notices and pinning them up on Deptford-based buses to attract as many customers to the consultation as possible?

We all know the company have been doing these consultations, across the entire region for quite a few years. I would be slightly concerned if they still viewed it as a learning curve - particularly at the costs involved in each consultation.

There have been points made, with links to specific examples of ambiguous questions - such as the M1/Herrington Burn debacle.

We have already discussed the 1/24 consultation and changes being made on a sample of 4/5% of the population and an 8% return rate.

It has already been pointed out numerous times, that sampling is flawed. I have provided quotes and references to research/studies on sampling in the Passenger Focus thread.

Sampling has been used in the past, in previous consultations - the almost 'twice annual' North Sunderland estate changes are based on those previous consultations.
The company have made changes, based on the feedback they have obtained, yet not long after, have needed to make changes again. Travel patterns won't have altered drastically in that time, yet passenger numbers/financial figures haven't stacked up.
Why?
Did passengers lie? Did the end result differ to the initial proposal? Were the questions misleading? Was reliability an issue following the changes? Or... Was the sample not big enough? 
How many service revisions have we seen in North Sunderland? How many services have been, gone, come back - been jiggled about and then replaced over the last 8 years?

I have said it before and will say it again - there needs to be a range of mediums used in these consultations.
Whether it is a mixture, a combination or all of: Internet, leaflet, face to face, door calls, obtained over a longer period or anything else - only then will you gain the opinions from a wide sample of existing and potential customers.

park5354

21 Nov 2014, 1:34 pm #351
5275 now has Blaydon Racer branding and out on 49/49B.

Another one is also done, and was parked in Riverside at Lunchtime. (not 5278)

5202 is still on loan to Riverside, and on Toonlink today.
park5354
21 Nov 2014, 1:34 pm #351

5275 now has Blaydon Racer branding and out on 49/49B.

Another one is also done, and was parked in Riverside at Lunchtime. (not 5278)

5202 is still on loan to Riverside, and on Toonlink today.

Malarkey

21 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm #352
4937 has departed PL with a cloud of smoke coming from the Rear, might have another Engine Bay Fire on our Hands.
Malarkey
21 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm #352

4937 has departed PL with a cloud of smoke coming from the Rear, might have another Engine Bay Fire on our Hands.

Andreos1

21 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm #353
(21 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm)NEBCD Malarkey 4937 has departed PL with a cloud of smoke coming from the Rear, might have another Engine Bay Fire on our Hands.

Have we got another stalking situation on our hands though?

Andreos1
21 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm #353

(21 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm)NEBCD Malarkey 4937 has departed PL with a cloud of smoke coming from the Rear, might have another Engine Bay Fire on our Hands.

Have we got another stalking situation on our hands though?

Malarkey

21 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm #354
(21 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm)Andreos1 Have we got another stalking situation on our hands though?
Not yet
Malarkey
21 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm #354

(21 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm)Andreos1 Have we got another stalking situation on our hands though?
Not yet

Malarkey

21 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm #355
(21 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Not yet
Just seen him on Fawcett Street with his Dad, said areet and got blanked by the little twat.
Malarkey
21 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm #355

(21 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Not yet
Just seen him on Fawcett Street with his Dad, said areet and got blanked by the little twat.

21 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm #356
Yeah i seen you too
Dan got on 8328 on 35 a week ago

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
21 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm #356

Yeah i seen you too
Dan got on 8328 on 35 a week ago

Best bus ever

S813 FVK

21 Nov 2014, 4:04 pm #357
Dennis Trident Plaxton President 3886 (NK51 UCO) has re-entered service at Stanley depot but none of its destination displays work. Lolyne 3803 remains VOR.
S813 FVK
21 Nov 2014, 4:04 pm #357

Dennis Trident Plaxton President 3886 (NK51 UCO) has re-entered service at Stanley depot but none of its destination displays work. Lolyne 3803 remains VOR.

21 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm #358
Nope im bus boy supporting optare solos

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
21 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm #358

Nope im bus boy supporting optare solos

Best bus ever

DanPicken

Banned

21 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm #359
http://www.simplygo.com/news/jarrow-bus-...h-november

Didn't know Jarrow bus staton was getting demolished.
DanPicken
21 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm #359

http://www.simplygo.com/news/jarrow-bus-...h-november

Didn't know Jarrow bus staton was getting demolished.

Jimmi

21 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm #360
Something must be wrong on the X7 this afternoon as the 1538 journey left about 30 minutes late.
Jimmi
21 Nov 2014, 4:32 pm #360

Something must be wrong on the X7 this afternoon as the 1538 journey left about 30 minutes late.

Pages (26) Previous 117 18 1926 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average