Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

Bank Holiday Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (16) Previous 112 13 1416 Next
Andreos1

30 Aug 2022, 7:41 am #241
(29 Aug 2022, 9:30 pm)Drifter60 I’m sorry this may be controversial but this is where certain workers get things wrong in my opinion. Unions fighting for better pay and conditions yes I’m all for that and I do happen to think bus drivers deserve more than what is seemingly the average hourly rate looking at the information out there. But if you accept a job as a bus driver in my opinion you sign up to out of hours working, complaining you had to do a late shift, a Saturday shift or bank holiday is like someone working a bar job complaining they finished late or an paramedic not liking shift work. Bars tend to attract more people in the evening just as paramedics and ambulance are need 24/7 (including Christmas Day believe it or not) and to me it’s the same way buses operate 7 days a week. There’s need a whole mindset change on the issue. Where is the outcry about the waitress and chef serving Christmas Day lunch at a restaurant, or the checkout operator working a 12 hour shift on bank holidays, including Boxing Day.

It’s a complete sense of entitlement with some people, where they want the job to change for them, and that’s shouldn’t always be the case. If a load of bus drivers doesn’t want to do anything but a Monday-Friday 9 to 5, what’s the a solution? Cancel bus post 5pm Friday until Monday morning? It’s crazy. I have a friend a few years got a call centre job at Doxford in Sunderland, shifts were 8 hours long but could be Monday to Sunday 7am to 11pm. He hated it, he was in his early 20s, enjoyed going out at weekend, played football for a Sunday pub team etc. the job interfered with his social life too much, he didn’t demand the job changed for him. He quit. And got a job elsewhere, now does a more suited to him office based 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. He didn’t expect the company to change just for him.

Now I appreciate in the current driver shortage, losing any more drivers may not the way to go but this isn’t a new problem. There’s been a lack of decent evening and weekend services for years and mindset on this should have changed a few years back. Demand has increased in recent years for more ‘off peak’ services, I liken it to supermarkets, twenty years ago a checkout operator job at Asda may have only been shifts between 8am and 8pm at most. But now most are 24 hours or at least 6am til 12am, the business model changed and the staff shifts presumably had too also. No doubt some people left but any new starters would know the requirements and shift patterns in advance, you can’t then complain when the store is still open past 10pm or at weekends!

I appreciate this is a bus forum with many current and force employees from various companies who obviously have a vested interest, but I’ve done weekend working myself, which has included Bank Holidays, Easter, Boxing Day, New Years Day etc. and I don’t see anyone outraged for me… 

It's ironic that if other jobs didn't have weekend or Bank Holiday workers, the very same drivers who have time off and complain at the notion of working themselves during this period - would complain that there was nobody to serve them or provide a service during their time off...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Aug 2022, 7:41 am #241

(29 Aug 2022, 9:30 pm)Drifter60 I’m sorry this may be controversial but this is where certain workers get things wrong in my opinion. Unions fighting for better pay and conditions yes I’m all for that and I do happen to think bus drivers deserve more than what is seemingly the average hourly rate looking at the information out there. But if you accept a job as a bus driver in my opinion you sign up to out of hours working, complaining you had to do a late shift, a Saturday shift or bank holiday is like someone working a bar job complaining they finished late or an paramedic not liking shift work. Bars tend to attract more people in the evening just as paramedics and ambulance are need 24/7 (including Christmas Day believe it or not) and to me it’s the same way buses operate 7 days a week. There’s need a whole mindset change on the issue. Where is the outcry about the waitress and chef serving Christmas Day lunch at a restaurant, or the checkout operator working a 12 hour shift on bank holidays, including Boxing Day.

It’s a complete sense of entitlement with some people, where they want the job to change for them, and that’s shouldn’t always be the case. If a load of bus drivers doesn’t want to do anything but a Monday-Friday 9 to 5, what’s the a solution? Cancel bus post 5pm Friday until Monday morning? It’s crazy. I have a friend a few years got a call centre job at Doxford in Sunderland, shifts were 8 hours long but could be Monday to Sunday 7am to 11pm. He hated it, he was in his early 20s, enjoyed going out at weekend, played football for a Sunday pub team etc. the job interfered with his social life too much, he didn’t demand the job changed for him. He quit. And got a job elsewhere, now does a more suited to him office based 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. He didn’t expect the company to change just for him.

Now I appreciate in the current driver shortage, losing any more drivers may not the way to go but this isn’t a new problem. There’s been a lack of decent evening and weekend services for years and mindset on this should have changed a few years back. Demand has increased in recent years for more ‘off peak’ services, I liken it to supermarkets, twenty years ago a checkout operator job at Asda may have only been shifts between 8am and 8pm at most. But now most are 24 hours or at least 6am til 12am, the business model changed and the staff shifts presumably had too also. No doubt some people left but any new starters would know the requirements and shift patterns in advance, you can’t then complain when the store is still open past 10pm or at weekends!

I appreciate this is a bus forum with many current and force employees from various companies who obviously have a vested interest, but I’ve done weekend working myself, which has included Bank Holidays, Easter, Boxing Day, New Years Day etc. and I don’t see anyone outraged for me… 

It's ironic that if other jobs didn't have weekend or Bank Holiday workers, the very same drivers who have time off and complain at the notion of working themselves during this period - would complain that there was nobody to serve them or provide a service during their time off...

30 Aug 2022, 12:33 pm #242
(28 Aug 2022, 10:32 pm)Ambassador then their tiny provincial minds would be blown
You think that's a reasonable way to talk to people?

The reason for Sunday running on a bank holiday has nothing to do with drivers wishes, it's the companies that make the choice and that choice is made based on profitability.

No where in this thread has anyone in the industry suggested drivers shouldn't work bank holidays, I have done so myself many times and it's clearly part of the job when you start.

But you have invented a scenario where workers claim they shouldn't have to work bank holidays then used that fiction to declare yourself right.
Little John
30 Aug 2022, 12:33 pm #242

(28 Aug 2022, 10:32 pm)Ambassador then their tiny provincial minds would be blown
You think that's a reasonable way to talk to people?

The reason for Sunday running on a bank holiday has nothing to do with drivers wishes, it's the companies that make the choice and that choice is made based on profitability.

No where in this thread has anyone in the industry suggested drivers shouldn't work bank holidays, I have done so myself many times and it's clearly part of the job when you start.

But you have invented a scenario where workers claim they shouldn't have to work bank holidays then used that fiction to declare yourself right.

DeltaMan

30 Aug 2022, 1:42 pm #243
For what it's worth, I'd love the North East to embrace "special" timetables. Something like Saturday running times, or Saturday frequencies with a Sunday start/finish.

But there is a price to pay for that sort of thing. Not only in terms of money but more importantly industrial relations. Especially if it's in black and white between a company and the union that Bank Hols are voluntary. That needs to be acknowledged and cannot be swept under the carpet. You only need to look at what happens when you poke the bear of Sunday working on the Railway to see how messy it could get without tough negotiations which could go on for months or years.
DeltaMan
30 Aug 2022, 1:42 pm #243

For what it's worth, I'd love the North East to embrace "special" timetables. Something like Saturday running times, or Saturday frequencies with a Sunday start/finish.

But there is a price to pay for that sort of thing. Not only in terms of money but more importantly industrial relations. Especially if it's in black and white between a company and the union that Bank Hols are voluntary. That needs to be acknowledged and cannot be swept under the carpet. You only need to look at what happens when you poke the bear of Sunday working on the Railway to see how messy it could get without tough negotiations which could go on for months or years.

F114TML

31 Aug 2022, 10:39 am #244
(29 Aug 2022, 9:18 am)tcts24 We get higher pay for working bank holidays at Stagecoach Huh  Wish someone would tell my boss. I get the leiu day but that's it.
Yep - asked around. You're right I'm wrong. Apologies.
F114TML
31 Aug 2022, 10:39 am #244

(29 Aug 2022, 9:18 am)tcts24 We get higher pay for working bank holidays at Stagecoach Huh  Wish someone would tell my boss. I get the leiu day but that's it.
Yep - asked around. You're right I'm wrong. Apologies.

tcts24

01 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm #245
(31 Aug 2022, 10:39 am)F114TML Yep - asked around. You're right I'm wrong. Apologies.
Fairly certain Arriva have an advanced rate
tcts24
01 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm #245

(31 Aug 2022, 10:39 am)F114TML Yep - asked around. You're right I'm wrong. Apologies.
Fairly certain Arriva have an advanced rate

Rob44

10 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm #246
I know its just been announced but will the 3 major companies up here be running a Sunday service on Monday 19th September. Unfortunately where i work never close and I need to be at work for 8 but first bus on a Sunday is 920 i believe?
Rob44
10 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm #246

I know its just been announced but will the 3 major companies up here be running a Sunday service on Monday 19th September. Unfortunately where i work never close and I need to be at work for 8 but first bus on a Sunday is 920 i believe?

10 Sep 2022, 6:58 pm #247
(10 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm)Rob44 I know its just been announced but will the 3 major companies up here be running a Sunday service on Monday 19th September.  Unfortunately where i work never close and I need to be at work for 8 but first bus on  a Sunday is 920 i believe?

It's been designated a Bank Holiday so I assume it will be a standard Sunday service.

I can see many work places closing for the day.
Robbie64
10 Sep 2022, 6:58 pm #247

(10 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm)Rob44 I know its just been announced but will the 3 major companies up here be running a Sunday service on Monday 19th September.  Unfortunately where i work never close and I need to be at work for 8 but first bus on  a Sunday is 920 i believe?

It's been designated a Bank Holiday so I assume it will be a standard Sunday service.

I can see many work places closing for the day.

10 Sep 2022, 7:40 pm #248
All the major Betting Shops (Ladbrokes, Coral, William Hills, Betfred, Paddy Power) are closing for the day (for the second time, as we closed on Friday due to the passing of the Queen)

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
10 Sep 2022, 7:40 pm #248

All the major Betting Shops (Ladbrokes, Coral, William Hills, Betfred, Paddy Power) are closing for the day (for the second time, as we closed on Friday due to the passing of the Queen)

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Storx

10 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm #249
(10 Sep 2022, 7:40 pm)Rapidsnap All the major Betting Shops (Ladbrokes, Coral, William Hills, Betfred, Paddy Power) are closing for the day (for the second time, as we closed on Friday due to the passing of the Queen)

That's only because there was nothing to bet on as all the sports were cancelled pretty much :p
Storx
10 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm #249

(10 Sep 2022, 7:40 pm)Rapidsnap All the major Betting Shops (Ladbrokes, Coral, William Hills, Betfred, Paddy Power) are closing for the day (for the second time, as we closed on Friday due to the passing of the Queen)

That's only because there was nothing to bet on as all the sports were cancelled pretty much :p

13 Sep 2022, 2:02 am #250
I used to like bank holidays because we got a day off school, now they piss me off because I can't get 30% off Lidl bakery after 7pm and it costs me twice as much to get the bus!

What's even worse, is places are deciding to shut altogether because we're told we have to be sad for a few days! Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling to #abolishthemonarchy or owt, but I do think it's a bit over the top
streetdeckfan
13 Sep 2022, 2:02 am #250

I used to like bank holidays because we got a day off school, now they piss me off because I can't get 30% off Lidl bakery after 7pm and it costs me twice as much to get the bus!

What's even worse, is places are deciding to shut altogether because we're told we have to be sad for a few days! Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling to #abolishthemonarchy or owt, but I do think it's a bit over the top

Michael

13 Sep 2022, 6:18 am #251
(13 Sep 2022, 2:02 am)streetdeckfan I used to like bank holidays because we got a day off school, now they piss me off because I can't get 30% off Lidl bakery after 7pm and it costs me twice as much to get the bus!

That's a first world problem, not getting your 30% off at Lidl after 7pm Rolleyes

Its also called "respect", she was on the throne for 70 years, she was part of some of the biggest events in history... so that's why its a bank holiday.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Sep 2022, 6:18 am #251

(13 Sep 2022, 2:02 am)streetdeckfan I used to like bank holidays because we got a day off school, now they piss me off because I can't get 30% off Lidl bakery after 7pm and it costs me twice as much to get the bus!

That's a first world problem, not getting your 30% off at Lidl after 7pm Rolleyes

Its also called "respect", she was on the throne for 70 years, she was part of some of the biggest events in history... so that's why its a bank holiday.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

tcts24

13 Sep 2022, 9:33 am #252
It's pissed me off because I have to drive a route I hate on Monday, on a shift thats 67 minutes longer than the one I usually do.
tcts24
13 Sep 2022, 9:33 am #252

It's pissed me off because I have to drive a route I hate on Monday, on a shift thats 67 minutes longer than the one I usually do.

nova347

13 Sep 2022, 3:59 pm #253
(13 Sep 2022, 9:33 am)tcts24 It's pissed me off because I have to drive a route I hate on Monday, on a shift thats 67 minutes longer than the one I usually do.
What route do you hate?
nova347
13 Sep 2022, 3:59 pm #253

(13 Sep 2022, 9:33 am)tcts24 It's pissed me off because I have to drive a route I hate on Monday, on a shift thats 67 minutes longer than the one I usually do.
What route do you hate?

13 Sep 2022, 11:32 pm #254
(10 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm)Storx That's only because there was nothing to bet on as all the sports were cancelled pretty much :p

Funnily enough that isn't the reason, as when there is no sport going on in the UK, they show racing from around the world (America, Canada, India, France, Austrailia etc), other sporting events around the world can be betted on, and on top of that you have them machines that people play until 10pm at night.

Rapidsnap
13 Sep 2022, 11:32 pm #254

(10 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm)Storx That's only because there was nothing to bet on as all the sports were cancelled pretty much :p

Funnily enough that isn't the reason, as when there is no sport going on in the UK, they show racing from around the world (America, Canada, India, France, Austrailia etc), other sporting events around the world can be betted on, and on top of that you have them machines that people play until 10pm at night.

14 Sep 2022, 3:22 am #255
(13 Sep 2022, 6:18 am)Michael That's a first world problem, not getting your 30% off at Lidl after 7pm  Rolleyes

There's nothing "respectful" about essential shops closing willy-nilly to apparently allow their staff to watch the funeral, for someone they didn't actually care about until the prospect of a day off!

Asda posted a press release, only accessible via "Corporate and Press" on their website, stating they'll be closed from midnight to 5pm on Monday and will suspend home deliveries for the day. There is absolutely no public-facing communications of this closure. The number of people this will negatively affect will be significantly greater than those mourning the late Queen.

Reducing the customer offering or outright closing was unheard of before Covid for any reason bar Christmas. Since when did it become normal or a "mark of respect" to do that?
omnicity4659
14 Sep 2022, 3:22 am #255

(13 Sep 2022, 6:18 am)Michael That's a first world problem, not getting your 30% off at Lidl after 7pm  Rolleyes

There's nothing "respectful" about essential shops closing willy-nilly to apparently allow their staff to watch the funeral, for someone they didn't actually care about until the prospect of a day off!

Asda posted a press release, only accessible via "Corporate and Press" on their website, stating they'll be closed from midnight to 5pm on Monday and will suspend home deliveries for the day. There is absolutely no public-facing communications of this closure. The number of people this will negatively affect will be significantly greater than those mourning the late Queen.

Reducing the customer offering or outright closing was unheard of before Covid for any reason bar Christmas. Since when did it become normal or a "mark of respect" to do that?

14 Sep 2022, 6:04 am #256
(14 Sep 2022, 3:22 am)omnicity4659 There's nothing "respectful" about essential shops closing willy-nilly to apparently allow their staff to watch the funeral, for someone they didn't actually care about until the prospect of a day off!

It's for the same reason that GNE have a Pride, Poppy and even the Jubilee bus, it's just marketing! They can say what they want, but they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart!

If they didn't close then there'd be news articles and Twitter posts about workers being 'forced' to go in, and that would make them look bad.

Maybe it's just me, but I was pretty much over the Queen's death after a few hours, I don't need 2+ weeks to 'mourn'. I didn't even take the full day off to go to my grandparent's funerals! No use crying over spilled milk and all that. 

I'll refrain from giving my opinions on the people crying on TV 'out of respect' (but it's not far off my opinion on people going on strike!)
streetdeckfan
14 Sep 2022, 6:04 am #256

(14 Sep 2022, 3:22 am)omnicity4659 There's nothing "respectful" about essential shops closing willy-nilly to apparently allow their staff to watch the funeral, for someone they didn't actually care about until the prospect of a day off!

It's for the same reason that GNE have a Pride, Poppy and even the Jubilee bus, it's just marketing! They can say what they want, but they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart!

If they didn't close then there'd be news articles and Twitter posts about workers being 'forced' to go in, and that would make them look bad.

Maybe it's just me, but I was pretty much over the Queen's death after a few hours, I don't need 2+ weeks to 'mourn'. I didn't even take the full day off to go to my grandparent's funerals! No use crying over spilled milk and all that. 

I'll refrain from giving my opinions on the people crying on TV 'out of respect' (but it's not far off my opinion on people going on strike!)

Storx

14 Sep 2022, 7:20 am #257

The reason they will be shutting is because a lot of people will be watching the Queen's funeral especially pensioners who is usually all that shops on a Monday anyway. 

There's no demand to be open so why bother wasting money for the 15 people who will come in all day.
Storx
14 Sep 2022, 7:20 am #257

The reason they will be shutting is because a lot of people will be watching the Queen's funeral especially pensioners who is usually all that shops on a Monday anyway. 

There's no demand to be open so why bother wasting money for the 15 people who will come in all day.

Andreos1

14 Sep 2022, 8:13 am #258
(14 Sep 2022, 6:04 am)streetdeckfan It's for the same reason that GNE have a Pride, Poppy and even the Jubilee bus, it's just marketing! They can say what they want, but they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart!

I agree, a lot of it will be PR spin. 
But in the case of Centre Parcs, it has backfired big style!

Both my employer and Mrs Constantopolous employers are open on Monday. Because of the services provided, they have no choice.

However, I find it strange to see the likes of Costco shutting their stores and petrol stations.
Particularly when smaller businesses who rely on them, won't be closing for the day.

Andreos1
14 Sep 2022, 8:13 am #258

(14 Sep 2022, 6:04 am)streetdeckfan It's for the same reason that GNE have a Pride, Poppy and even the Jubilee bus, it's just marketing! They can say what they want, but they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart!

I agree, a lot of it will be PR spin. 

Both my employer and Mrs Constantopolous employers are open on Monday. Because of the services provided, they have no choice.

However, I find it strange to see the likes of Costco shutting their stores and petrol stations.
Particularly when smaller businesses who rely on them, won't be closing for the day.

14 Sep 2022, 9:52 am #259
(14 Sep 2022, 7:20 am)Storx The reason they will be shutting is because a lot of people will be watching the Queen's funeral especially pensioners who is usually all that shops on a Monday anyway. 

Because it's a major inconvenience for those of us who want to do something other than watch a funeral of someone we didn't know!
I mean, it's not as if anything interesting is going to happen anyway, last funeral I went to was pretty boring!

(14 Sep 2022, 8:13 am)Andreos1 I agree, a lot of it will be PR spin. 

Bloody hell, even Costco are in on it?! Where am I supposed to get my oversized pizza and cheap diesel!
streetdeckfan
14 Sep 2022, 9:52 am #259

(14 Sep 2022, 7:20 am)Storx The reason they will be shutting is because a lot of people will be watching the Queen's funeral especially pensioners who is usually all that shops on a Monday anyway. 

Because it's a major inconvenience for those of us who want to do something other than watch a funeral of someone we didn't know!
I mean, it's not as if anything interesting is going to happen anyway, last funeral I went to was pretty boring!

Bloody hell, even Costco are in on it?! Where am I supposed to get my oversized pizza and cheap diesel!

Michael

14 Sep 2022, 10:00 am #260

I'm in on Monday to - we must be the only educational place in Sunderland who's open! - unless it changes......... Its Sunday service on the buses too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Sep 2022, 10:00 am #260

I'm in on Monday to - we must be the only educational place in Sunderland who's open! - unless it changes......... Its Sunday service on the buses too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (16) Previous 112 13 1416 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average