Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Durham Vintage Bus Gathering

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5): Previous 13 4 5
MurdnunoC

21 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm #81
(21 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm)R852 PRG The time was creeping up to 10:10; I happened to look down to the bottom of the rally site, to see Adrian, and his friend Geoff, who waved at me. I walked down to them, and floated around with them for a few minutes, taking photos. Adrian had been trying to hunt down two of the Park & Ride Solos yesterday; which had been given liveries, only to find one. Luckily for him, both of these vehicles were in attendance at the rally today. Continuing to walk around the rally site; we stumbled across 33101, a recently preserved Stagecoach ALX200. Geoff asked what the significance of it was, which we explained it was the first low-floor vehicle that Stagecoach bought, for Sunderland. After taking some photos of this, at an odd angle; as the buses were being parked around the perimeter of the main parking area (which I'll admit was my only gripe with the event today; there appeared to be a slight lack of organisation on the way vehicles were being parked). The time reached 10:35, when Adrian asked me if I'd ever been inside an Atlantean before. We checked 111, 290 and the other Atlantean, but the doors weren't open, so we headed back up to where the Nationals were parked. 4708 was being moved forward, and 4710's engine was running too. I think they were spacing them out, or something. We watched, and 4710 then moved out and onto the slip road (that's what I would call it anyway!), Craig was at the wheel, and hit the horn. I assumed this was a signal for me to board, as he'd promised me a ride out on 4710, so I got Adrian and Geoff, before we boarded. I think Alan was sat at the front with Craig's daughters. We did a circular around the Park & Ride site, before picking up about a dozen others at the actual pick-up point for the Park & Ride buses. Lee and Bazza also joined us, at the back. Craig made an announcement before sitting down and letting Ian drive us back to Durham.

After this trip on 4710, I now understand what some of the older members say regarding Nationals. In my opinion, for a bus to work, it needs two things; to be powerful, but smooth. Some buses have got loads of power, but rattle like a box of nails. Some are exceptionally smooth to ride, but lack power. Then, some have neither of those qualities, what I would call ''flat'' (no power) or a ''shed'' (rattles a lot). However, the National had loads of power in it's engine, but despite being 34 years of age, I couldn't feel any rattling. I don't know if Adrian, Geoff, Lee, etc. felt differently, but it was an extremely smooth vehicle to ride. Now, it's amongst my favourite vehicles; the B10BLEs, the Olympians, and the Volvo B9TLs. The engine noise was spectacular, and I almost must comment on how nice the seating looked. Wouldn't mind seeing a Renown with that sort of bench seating, just to see what it would be like. I'm really looking forward to making trips on 4710 in the future. 

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff before but I hear he's a pretty decent bloke. From what I hear, I think he would agree with your assessment of 4710. The Nationals were machines, built to last a lifetime, and I'm sure I would have agreed with you both if I was present in your company today.

From what I remember Nationals used to rattle like hell though. I think 4710 might be an exception to the rule - no doubt down to the effort the NNRG put into the preservation and overall maintenance of the vehicle.
MurdnunoC
21 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm #81

(21 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm)R852 PRG The time was creeping up to 10:10; I happened to look down to the bottom of the rally site, to see Adrian, and his friend Geoff, who waved at me. I walked down to them, and floated around with them for a few minutes, taking photos. Adrian had been trying to hunt down two of the Park & Ride Solos yesterday; which had been given liveries, only to find one. Luckily for him, both of these vehicles were in attendance at the rally today. Continuing to walk around the rally site; we stumbled across 33101, a recently preserved Stagecoach ALX200. Geoff asked what the significance of it was, which we explained it was the first low-floor vehicle that Stagecoach bought, for Sunderland. After taking some photos of this, at an odd angle; as the buses were being parked around the perimeter of the main parking area (which I'll admit was my only gripe with the event today; there appeared to be a slight lack of organisation on the way vehicles were being parked). The time reached 10:35, when Adrian asked me if I'd ever been inside an Atlantean before. We checked 111, 290 and the other Atlantean, but the doors weren't open, so we headed back up to where the Nationals were parked. 4708 was being moved forward, and 4710's engine was running too. I think they were spacing them out, or something. We watched, and 4710 then moved out and onto the slip road (that's what I would call it anyway!), Craig was at the wheel, and hit the horn. I assumed this was a signal for me to board, as he'd promised me a ride out on 4710, so I got Adrian and Geoff, before we boarded. I think Alan was sat at the front with Craig's daughters. We did a circular around the Park & Ride site, before picking up about a dozen others at the actual pick-up point for the Park & Ride buses. Lee and Bazza also joined us, at the back. Craig made an announcement before sitting down and letting Ian drive us back to Durham.

After this trip on 4710, I now understand what some of the older members say regarding Nationals. In my opinion, for a bus to work, it needs two things; to be powerful, but smooth. Some buses have got loads of power, but rattle like a box of nails. Some are exceptionally smooth to ride, but lack power. Then, some have neither of those qualities, what I would call ''flat'' (no power) or a ''shed'' (rattles a lot). However, the National had loads of power in it's engine, but despite being 34 years of age, I couldn't feel any rattling. I don't know if Adrian, Geoff, Lee, etc. felt differently, but it was an extremely smooth vehicle to ride. Now, it's amongst my favourite vehicles; the B10BLEs, the Olympians, and the Volvo B9TLs. The engine noise was spectacular, and I almost must comment on how nice the seating looked. Wouldn't mind seeing a Renown with that sort of bench seating, just to see what it would be like. I'm really looking forward to making trips on 4710 in the future. 

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff before but I hear he's a pretty decent bloke. From what I hear, I think he would agree with your assessment of 4710. The Nationals were machines, built to last a lifetime, and I'm sure I would have agreed with you both if I was present in your company today.

From what I remember Nationals used to rattle like hell though. I think 4710 might be an exception to the rule - no doubt down to the effort the NNRG put into the preservation and overall maintenance of the vehicle.

Charles41

22 Jun 2015, 12:35 pm #82
I visited the rally yesterday and thought it was a good turn out. It was good to see people of all ages enjoying themselves. I also picked up some old fleet books from the 1980's on the NEBPT stall. My favourite bus had to be the Bristol RE in National Express livery. 

Charles
Charles41
22 Jun 2015, 12:35 pm #82

I visited the rally yesterday and thought it was a good turn out. It was good to see people of all ages enjoying themselves. I also picked up some old fleet books from the 1980's on the NEBPT stall. My favourite bus had to be the Bristol RE in National Express livery. 

Charles

22 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm #83
(21 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm)MurdnunoC I've never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff before but I hear he's a pretty decent bloke. From what I hear, I think he would agree with your assessment of 4710. The Nationals were machines, built to last a lifetime, and I'm sure I would have agreed with you both if I was present in your company today.

Hello.

Am so pleased that you all enjoyed your trip out on 4710 on Farther Day. Unfortunately we only managed one run due to people running on others times and the lack of organization in the parking aria. So we could not get out in time for our last run at 12.00. However. I have been assured that next year this wont happen so I will let 4710 entertain the crowds again in 2016. She may well run alongside 4855......

All the best and thanks from the NNRG team.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
22 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm #83

(21 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm)MurdnunoC I've never had the pleasure of meeting Geoff before but I hear he's a pretty decent bloke. From what I hear, I think he would agree with your assessment of 4710. The Nationals were machines, built to last a lifetime, and I'm sure I would have agreed with you both if I was present in your company today.

Hello.

Am so pleased that you all enjoyed your trip out on 4710 on Farther Day. Unfortunately we only managed one run due to people running on others times and the lack of organization in the parking aria. So we could not get out in time for our last run at 12.00. However. I have been assured that next year this wont happen so I will let 4710 entertain the crowds again in 2016. She may well run alongside 4855......

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

Diamond One

Banned

22 Jun 2015, 8:15 pm #84
(22 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm)Craig Smith Hello.

really enjoyed the lift on 4710 looking forward to seeing Marcus favourite "Dream Bus" (4855) hope it is what it says on the tin and looking forward to riding it again
Diamond One
22 Jun 2015, 8:15 pm #84

really enjoyed the lift on 4710 looking forward to seeing Marcus favourite "Dream Bus" (4855) hope it is what it says on the tin and looking forward to riding it again

Jimmi

22 Jun 2015, 8:21 pm #85

Sadly I didn't get a ride on 4710 yesterday thanks to be taken on a magical mystery tour of Durham instead Sad

Hopefully I'll get to ride it next year along with 4855.
Jimmi
22 Jun 2015, 8:21 pm #85

Sadly I didn't get a ride on 4710 yesterday thanks to be taken on a magical mystery tour of Durham instead Sad

S813 FVK

22 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm #86
(22 Jun 2015, 8:21 pm)Jimmi Sadly I didn't get a ride on 4710 yesterday thanks to be taken on a magical mystery tour of Durham instead Sad

I wouldnt have minded the longer trip to Frankland Prison. Not for the fact that it is a prison but mainly because it would take longer than 30 minutes to do a round trip meaning you get a decent journey out of it.
S813 FVK
22 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm #86

(22 Jun 2015, 8:21 pm)Jimmi Sadly I didn't get a ride on 4710 yesterday thanks to be taken on a magical mystery tour of Durham instead Sad

I wouldnt have minded the longer trip to Frankland Prison. Not for the fact that it is a prison but mainly because it would take longer than 30 minutes to do a round trip meaning you get a decent journey out of it.

Jimmi

22 Jun 2015, 8:29 pm #87
(22 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm)S813 FVK I wouldnt have minded the longer trip to Frankland Prison. Not for the fact that it is a prison but mainly because it would take longer than 30 minutes to do a round trip meaning you get a decent journey out of it.

Don't get me wrong it was good to get a half hour journey out on it but I would have liked to have known this was going to happen as it resulted in me missing 4710 although if I'd have stayed in Durham a few more minutes I could have probably ridden 4710.
Jimmi
22 Jun 2015, 8:29 pm #87

(22 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm)S813 FVK I wouldnt have minded the longer trip to Frankland Prison. Not for the fact that it is a prison but mainly because it would take longer than 30 minutes to do a round trip meaning you get a decent journey out of it.

Don't get me wrong it was good to get a half hour journey out on it but I would have liked to have known this was going to happen as it resulted in me missing 4710 although if I'd have stayed in Durham a few more minutes I could have probably ridden 4710.

Pages (5): Previous 13 4 5

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average