Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Durham Vintage Bus Gathering

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5 Next
Jimmi

21 Jun 2015, 9:49 am #61
Where the hell is this Eden bus taking us, we're heading towards the bloody Arnison Centre now!
Jimmi
21 Jun 2015, 9:49 am #61

Where the hell is this Eden bus taking us, we're heading towards the bloody Arnison Centre now!

Andreos1

21 Jun 2015, 10:00 am #62
Tempted to pop down and have a neb about.

Haven't been on a National for a good while - reckoning 14/15 years.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Jun 2015, 10:00 am #62

Tempted to pop down and have a neb about.

Jimmi

21 Jun 2015, 10:58 am #63
Just a heads up there is chavy pricks stood outside Durham Bus Station taking the mick.
Jimmi
21 Jun 2015, 10:58 am #63

Just a heads up there is chavy pricks stood outside Durham Bus Station taking the mick.

Adrian

21 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm #64
(21 Jun 2015, 10:00 am)Andreos1 Tempted to pop down and have a neb about.

I'll not spoil the suspense of Marcus' review, but a few of us had a ride out on 4710!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm #64

(21 Jun 2015, 10:00 am)Andreos1 Tempted to pop down and have a neb about.

I'll not spoil the suspense of Marcus' review, but a few of us had a ride out on 4710!

Jimmi

21 Jun 2015, 12:24 pm #65
(21 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm)aureolin I'll not spoil the suspense of Marcus' review, but a few of us had a ride out on 4710!
I didn't as the Eden went on a prison tour as we went down by the courts then up to Brasside HMP.
Jimmi
21 Jun 2015, 12:24 pm #65

(21 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm)aureolin I'll not spoil the suspense of Marcus' review, but a few of us had a ride out on 4710!
I didn't as the Eden went on a prison tour as we went down by the courts then up to Brasside HMP.

Andreos1

21 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm #66

I can't wait Wink

Andreos1
21 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm #66

I can't wait Wink

21 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm #67
Today being Father's Day, and also the annual Durham Rally, at Howlands Park & Ride, I decided I would head along in the morning before being picked up, and then head along to Jesmond for a meal. One thing that drew me to the event, was that I knew preserved Leyland National 4710 would be operating shuttles. After learning of the times from Craig Smith, 4710's owner, I managed to plan around it, and found that I could in fact attend the event, get my photos then hitch a ride back to Durham on 4710. All in all, it was a great morning, despite only being about an hour and a half long; here is what I did;

I got up at 09:00, and after my usual morning routine, left at 09:30. My dad drove me through to Durham, arriving at the Howlands site for 09:50. There was about 7 or 8 buses present at the time. As I walked in, getting my camera out to take my photos; somebody shouted for me. I looked around, and saw Lee to my left, talking to the driver of the SB Travel Plaxton Primo. I spoke to him for a couple of minutes, before Bazza emerged from behind a Routemaster, and spoke to me as well. After a few minutes, Bazza had disappeared, and I walked around with Lee for about five minutes. I walked up to the very top of the site, where ''Toon Link'' branded 5235 was standing. After taking a few photos, I walked back down to the bottom, to get some more photos; MCW Metrobus 3501 and the Routemasters were amongst them. Then, I heard a sort of ''clag'' noise that I remember from the MetroCentre, when 4710 entered the rally site. Making my way down to the entrance; I saw ''Tyne and Wear PTE'' liveried 4708 and ''Poppy Red'' liveried 4710 preparing to enter. When they did come through, they parked up side-by-side, and people began to descend on them. After waiting a couple of minutes, when Craig and Ian, along with 4708's owner, Jonothan came out to take some photos, I generated a conversation with Craig. When more buses began to pour in, Craig said ''Marcus, stay around here'', so I took the opportunity to talk to Alan, Craig's dad. I met Alan at the MetroCentre, and found he was very nice to talk to. Before long, another National entered the rally site, a Mk1 as opposed to a Mk2; YFY 4M. I alerted Craig, who was on the floor at the front of 4710, sorting something out, and then I watched YFY 4M park up to the right of 4710, in the following formation; FTN 708W, FTN 710W, and YFY 4M. They looked extremely smart, all parked up together.

The time was creeping up to 10:10; I happened to look down to the bottom of the rally site, to see Adrian, and his friend Geoff, who waved at me. I walked down to them, and floated around with them for a few minutes, taking photos. Adrian had been trying to hunt down two of the Park & Ride Solos yesterday; which had been given liveries, only to find one. Luckily for him, both of these vehicles were in attendance at the rally today. Continuing to walk around the rally site; we stumbled across 33101, a recently preserved Stagecoach ALX200. Geoff asked what the significance of it was, which we explained it was the first low-floor vehicle that Stagecoach bought, for Sunderland. After taking some photos of this, at an odd angle; as the buses were being parked around the perimeter of the main parking area (which I'll admit was my only gripe with the event today; there appeared to be a slight lack of organisation on the way vehicles were being parked). The time reached 10:35, when Adrian asked me if I'd ever been inside an Atlantean before. We checked 111, 290 and the other Atlantean, but the doors weren't open, so we headed back up to where the Nationals were parked. 4708 was being moved forward, and 4710's engine was running too. I think they were spacing them out, or something. We watched, and 4710 then moved out and onto the slip road (that's what I would call it anyway!), Craig was at the wheel, and hit the horn. I assumed this was a signal for me to board, as he'd promised me a ride out on 4710, so I got Adrian and Geoff, before we boarded. I think Alan was sat at the front with Craig's daughters. We did a circular around the Park & Ride site, before picking up about a dozen others at the actual pick-up point for the Park & Ride buses. Lee and Bazza also joined us, at the back. Craig made an announcement before sitting down and letting Ian drive us back to Durham.

After this trip on 4710, I now understand what some of the older members say regarding Nationals. In my opinion, for a bus to work, it needs two things; to be powerful, but smooth. Some buses have got loads of power, but rattle like a box of nails. Some are exceptionally smooth to ride, but lack power. Then, some have neither of those qualities, what I would call ''flat'' (no power) or a ''shed'' (rattles a lot). However, the National had loads of power in it's engine, but despite being 34 years of age, I couldn't feel any rattling. I don't know if Adrian, Geoff, Lee, etc. felt differently, but it was an extremely smooth vehicle to ride. Now, it's amongst my favourite vehicles; the B10BLEs, the Olympians, and the Volvo B9TLs. The engine noise was spectacular, and I almost must comment on how nice the seating looked. Wouldn't mind seeing a Renown with that sort of bench seating, just to see what it would be like. I'm really looking forward to making trips on 4710 in the future. 

I thanked Craig and said goodbye to Alan as I alighted, before having a brief chat with Ian before he got back in the driving seat. I didn't see him yesterday; he was driving 6125 for the Cricket Ground shuttles, so it made up for that. Always nice to put a face to a name; I knew who he was... He didn't know who I was. Big Grin My dad picked me up at 11:20, and that concluded today's brief and rare Sunday outing.

It was a great time at Howlands today, nice to have a chance to talk to Lee properly, and also Adrian and Geoff. Thanks as well to Craig and the rest of the Northern National Restoration Group for allowing 4710 out into service, thus enabling my ride on it. Smile Even though it is just the one...

10:47 Shuttle – Howlands Park & Ride Facility to Durham, North Road – Preserved 4710

A link to my album of photos from today; https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...4879436205. Thanks for reading. Smile

Marcus
Edited 21 Jun 2015, 3:56 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
21 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm #67

Today being Father's Day, and also the annual Durham Rally, at Howlands Park & Ride, I decided I would head along in the morning before being picked up, and then head along to Jesmond for a meal. One thing that drew me to the event, was that I knew preserved Leyland National 4710 would be operating shuttles. After learning of the times from Craig Smith, 4710's owner, I managed to plan around it, and found that I could in fact attend the event, get my photos then hitch a ride back to Durham on 4710. All in all, it was a great morning, despite only being about an hour and a half long; here is what I did;

I got up at 09:00, and after my usual morning routine, left at 09:30. My dad drove me through to Durham, arriving at the Howlands site for 09:50. There was about 7 or 8 buses present at the time. As I walked in, getting my camera out to take my photos; somebody shouted for me. I looked around, and saw Lee to my left, talking to the driver of the SB Travel Plaxton Primo. I spoke to him for a couple of minutes, before Bazza emerged from behind a Routemaster, and spoke to me as well. After a few minutes, Bazza had disappeared, and I walked around with Lee for about five minutes. I walked up to the very top of the site, where ''Toon Link'' branded 5235 was standing. After taking a few photos, I walked back down to the bottom, to get some more photos; MCW Metrobus 3501 and the Routemasters were amongst them. Then, I heard a sort of ''clag'' noise that I remember from the MetroCentre, when 4710 entered the rally site. Making my way down to the entrance; I saw ''Tyne and Wear PTE'' liveried 4708 and ''Poppy Red'' liveried 4710 preparing to enter. When they did come through, they parked up side-by-side, and people began to descend on them. After waiting a couple of minutes, when Craig and Ian, along with 4708's owner, Jonothan came out to take some photos, I generated a conversation with Craig. When more buses began to pour in, Craig said ''Marcus, stay around here'', so I took the opportunity to talk to Alan, Craig's dad. I met Alan at the MetroCentre, and found he was very nice to talk to. Before long, another National entered the rally site, a Mk1 as opposed to a Mk2; YFY 4M. I alerted Craig, who was on the floor at the front of 4710, sorting something out, and then I watched YFY 4M park up to the right of 4710, in the following formation; FTN 708W, FTN 710W, and YFY 4M. They looked extremely smart, all parked up together.

The time was creeping up to 10:10; I happened to look down to the bottom of the rally site, to see Adrian, and his friend Geoff, who waved at me. I walked down to them, and floated around with them for a few minutes, taking photos. Adrian had been trying to hunt down two of the Park & Ride Solos yesterday; which had been given liveries, only to find one. Luckily for him, both of these vehicles were in attendance at the rally today. Continuing to walk around the rally site; we stumbled across 33101, a recently preserved Stagecoach ALX200. Geoff asked what the significance of it was, which we explained it was the first low-floor vehicle that Stagecoach bought, for Sunderland. After taking some photos of this, at an odd angle; as the buses were being parked around the perimeter of the main parking area (which I'll admit was my only gripe with the event today; there appeared to be a slight lack of organisation on the way vehicles were being parked). The time reached 10:35, when Adrian asked me if I'd ever been inside an Atlantean before. We checked 111, 290 and the other Atlantean, but the doors weren't open, so we headed back up to where the Nationals were parked. 4708 was being moved forward, and 4710's engine was running too. I think they were spacing them out, or something. We watched, and 4710 then moved out and onto the slip road (that's what I would call it anyway!), Craig was at the wheel, and hit the horn. I assumed this was a signal for me to board, as he'd promised me a ride out on 4710, so I got Adrian and Geoff, before we boarded. I think Alan was sat at the front with Craig's daughters. We did a circular around the Park & Ride site, before picking up about a dozen others at the actual pick-up point for the Park & Ride buses. Lee and Bazza also joined us, at the back. Craig made an announcement before sitting down and letting Ian drive us back to Durham.

After this trip on 4710, I now understand what some of the older members say regarding Nationals. In my opinion, for a bus to work, it needs two things; to be powerful, but smooth. Some buses have got loads of power, but rattle like a box of nails. Some are exceptionally smooth to ride, but lack power. Then, some have neither of those qualities, what I would call ''flat'' (no power) or a ''shed'' (rattles a lot). However, the National had loads of power in it's engine, but despite being 34 years of age, I couldn't feel any rattling. I don't know if Adrian, Geoff, Lee, etc. felt differently, but it was an extremely smooth vehicle to ride. Now, it's amongst my favourite vehicles; the B10BLEs, the Olympians, and the Volvo B9TLs. The engine noise was spectacular, and I almost must comment on how nice the seating looked. Wouldn't mind seeing a Renown with that sort of bench seating, just to see what it would be like. I'm really looking forward to making trips on 4710 in the future. 

I thanked Craig and said goodbye to Alan as I alighted, before having a brief chat with Ian before he got back in the driving seat. I didn't see him yesterday; he was driving 6125 for the Cricket Ground shuttles, so it made up for that. Always nice to put a face to a name; I knew who he was... He didn't know who I was. Big Grin My dad picked me up at 11:20, and that concluded today's brief and rare Sunday outing.

It was a great time at Howlands today, nice to have a chance to talk to Lee properly, and also Adrian and Geoff. Thanks as well to Craig and the rest of the Northern National Restoration Group for allowing 4710 out into service, thus enabling my ride on it. Smile Even though it is just the one...

10:47 Shuttle – Howlands Park & Ride Facility to Durham, North Road – Preserved 4710

A link to my album of photos from today; https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@...4879436205. Thanks for reading. Smile

Marcus

Jimmi

21 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm #68
Well I had fun at the Howlands Rally today, was good to ride some buses and was also fun to see some of you out at the rally and I chatted some of you, some more than others I think Dan is probably sick of me now (I not even sure who some of you were who were speaking and waving at me so to those of you I am sorry but it's likely to be the first time I've seen some of you in the flesh).

I have uploaded some photos to my Flickr but only a small collection as I am totally shattered especially my long... long trip to Carlisle yesterday and I am not the best when it comes to bus types and I can't bring myself to do searching for types right now and I wasn't totally happy with how some photos turned out. Anyway click the link below to see the album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...4808771906

If anyone spots any mistakes please drop me a PM on here as I am not knowledgeable on bus types and I am rather tried after being pretty much on my feet for the last few days.
Jimmi
21 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm #68

Well I had fun at the Howlands Rally today, was good to ride some buses and was also fun to see some of you out at the rally and I chatted some of you, some more than others I think Dan is probably sick of me now (I not even sure who some of you were who were speaking and waving at me so to those of you I am sorry but it's likely to be the first time I've seen some of you in the flesh).

I have uploaded some photos to my Flickr but only a small collection as I am totally shattered especially my long... long trip to Carlisle yesterday and I am not the best when it comes to bus types and I can't bring myself to do searching for types right now and I wasn't totally happy with how some photos turned out. Anyway click the link below to see the album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...4808771906

If anyone spots any mistakes please drop me a PM on here as I am not knowledgeable on bus types and I am rather tried after being pretty much on my feet for the last few days.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm #69
(21 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm)Jimmi Well I had fun at the Howlands Rally today, was good to ride some buses and was also fun to see some of you out at the rally and I chatted some of you, some more than others I think Dan is probably sick of me now (I not even sure who some of you were who were speaking and waving at me so to those of you I am sorry but it's likely to be the first time I've seen some of you in the flesh).

I think I've swapped Marcus for you! Managed to bump into each other quite a lot as of late, and I haven't seen Marcus at all... Tongue 
Dan
21 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm #69

(21 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm)Jimmi Well I had fun at the Howlands Rally today, was good to ride some buses and was also fun to see some of you out at the rally and I chatted some of you, some more than others I think Dan is probably sick of me now (I not even sure who some of you were who were speaking and waving at me so to those of you I am sorry but it's likely to be the first time I've seen some of you in the flesh).

I think I've swapped Marcus for you! Managed to bump into each other quite a lot as of late, and I haven't seen Marcus at all... Tongue 

21 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm #70
(21 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm)Dan I think I've swapped Marcus for you! Managed to bump into each other quite a lot as of late, and I haven't seen Marcus at all... Tongue 

Every cloud has a silver lining.  Big Grin
R852 PRG
21 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm #70

(21 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm)Dan I think I've swapped Marcus for you! Managed to bump into each other quite a lot as of late, and I haven't seen Marcus at all... Tongue 

Every cloud has a silver lining.  Big Grin

Jimmi

21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm #71

I keep running into you and Marcus and a few other people keep spotting me as well. Seems like I see you a few times for a few weeks then never spot you again for months after that.

I imagine I was quieter on the 685 yesterday than Marcus probably would have been Tongue
Jimmi
21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm #71

I keep running into you and Marcus and a few other people keep spotting me as well. Seems like I see you a few times for a few weeks then never spot you again for months after that.

I imagine I was quieter on the 685 yesterday than Marcus probably would have been Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm #72
(21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm)Jimmi I keep running into you and Marcus and a few other people keep spotting me as well. Seems like I see you a few times for a few weeks then never spot you again for months after that.

I imagine I was quieter on the 685 yesterday than Marcus probably would have been

Oh, aye, definitely...

Get nee peace when Marcus is on the bus!
Dan
21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm #72

(21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm)Jimmi I keep running into you and Marcus and a few other people keep spotting me as well. Seems like I see you a few times for a few weeks then never spot you again for months after that.

I imagine I was quieter on the 685 yesterday than Marcus probably would have been

Oh, aye, definitely...

21 Jun 2015, 5:00 pm #73

I think Dan would have shot himself by Brampton.  Tongue
R852 PRG
21 Jun 2015, 5:00 pm #73

I think Dan would have shot himself by Brampton.  Tongue

Jimmi

21 Jun 2015, 5:02 pm #74
(21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm)Dan Oh, aye, definitely...

Ha ha, yesterday was probably the first time you have actually heard me speak apart from saying hi when I saw you in Durham a while back.
Jimmi
21 Jun 2015, 5:02 pm #74

(21 Jun 2015, 4:59 pm)Dan Oh, aye, definitely...

Ha ha, yesterday was probably the first time you have actually heard me speak apart from saying hi when I saw you in Durham a while back.

Adrian

21 Jun 2015, 5:16 pm #75
I had an interesting day out today. I've never really been a fan of the Durham rally, but seeing as 4710 was working the shuttle bus, I decided to head along to have a ride out on that at least. 

I started off with an Arriva Solo on the 56 to Durham Bus Station. Given that it only works a short route on a Sunday, it was bang on time, but it was quite a busy journey heading through to Durham, given that it was the 0922 service I used. Once I got to Durham, I decided to have a walk to Tesco for a drink and a breakfast bar. I'd literally walked out of the Tesco door and I heard a rumbling in the distance. I look up towards North Road roundabout, and I see 4708 and 4710 waiting for a gap in traffic to cross the roundabout on to North Road. I managed to quickly make my way further up the street, dropping everythin in the process, trying to get my Camera out and ready in time! Luckily enough though, I managed a shot of both heading down towards Millburngate. 

As it was getting to about 0950, I decided to cross over and wait outside the old Argos shop to see what the first shuttle of the day was. Not long after, I found out, as ex-United Bristol RE 6080 came round the corner. There was only a few of us waiting, so I boarded, and it was only a short sit before we were off to Howlands. This was actually the first time I've used a Bristol RE, and 6080 is an excellent runner for a vehicle of it's age. It was a real pleasure of a journey. 

Once I got across to the Rally site, it was pretty quiet, so I decided to have a quick look at the stalls, to see if there was anything of interest. I only really bother with North East models, and there wasn't anything there that really took my fancy. For anyone who collects models in general though, there was a fantastic selection.

I then decided to get a few shots of vehicles queuing up for the shuttle service (next to the P&R building), before heading up to the car park being used for the buses. There was plenty on display once again, and it was great to see three fantastic Atlanteans on display again - Newcastle Busways EJR111W , South Shields Busways SCN268S and Tyne and Wear PTE UVK290T. After getting a few shots of these and others, the two Nationals caught my eye. It was great to see them both side by side, and only seeing them 'in the flesh', do you appreciate how good of a restoration job both examples are. 

Marcus had pointed out the 4710 was heading out on the 1100 shuttle, and I managed to hop on that on the way out of the car park, before it went round and into the queue. There was a few of us from NEB sat at the back, and I'm glad I managed to occupy the back seat to appreciate the journey in true National fashion. We ended up looping the P&R site twice, and then picked up before heading out towards Durham. A fantastic journey, a bus that sounds perfect, and full of power! Once we got to North Road, a load of us jumped off and got plenty of photos. 

I decided to hang around North Road to see what was next in, as we had bumped into Malarkey by this point too. A rather ill-sounding 4843 came into Durham on the X22, but luckily another Northern bus turned up and pulled in behind - this time in the form of MetroBus 3501. We headed over for this, and straight to the upper deck for an enjoyable journey back to Howlands. It's the first time I've been on preserved 3501, and it's a fantastic restoration. 

After another brief look round, another journey to Durham embarked on us. This time in the form of Routemaster RML2686. Front seats upstairs occupied, and we headed back to North Road. Rather than heading straight back to Howlands on this though, the decision was made to pop into Greggs for some lunch. Another journey back to Howlands was made on Go North East's 5235.

Heading back to Howlands, we bumped into Dan, and had another look around the Rally site, before heading back to Durham for the final time. This time on ShawBros UFJ292. The same Arriva Solo was my 56 back home, which I can safely say is the worst bus I've ridden on all day. Wink 

Photos will be up later / when I can be arsed.

ANE 2810 - Coxhoe to Durham
United 6080 - Durham to Howlands
Northern 4710 - Howlands to Durham
Northern 3501 - Durham to Howlands
RML2686 - Howlands to Durham
GNE 5235 - Durham to Howlands
Shaws UFJ292 - Howlands to Durham
ANE 2810 - Durham to Coxhoe

Adrian
21 Jun 2015, 5:16 pm #75

I had an interesting day out today. I've never really been a fan of the Durham rally, but seeing as 4710 was working the shuttle bus, I decided to head along to have a ride out on that at least. 

I started off with an Arriva Solo on the 56 to Durham Bus Station. Given that it only works a short route on a Sunday, it was bang on time, but it was quite a busy journey heading through to Durham, given that it was the 0922 service I used. Once I got to Durham, I decided to have a walk to Tesco for a drink and a breakfast bar. I'd literally walked out of the Tesco door and I heard a rumbling in the distance. I look up towards North Road roundabout, and I see 4708 and 4710 waiting for a gap in traffic to cross the roundabout on to North Road. I managed to quickly make my way further up the street, dropping everythin in the process, trying to get my Camera out and ready in time! Luckily enough though, I managed a shot of both heading down towards Millburngate. 

As it was getting to about 0950, I decided to cross over and wait outside the old Argos shop to see what the first shuttle of the day was. Not long after, I found out, as ex-United Bristol RE 6080 came round the corner. There was only a few of us waiting, so I boarded, and it was only a short sit before we were off to Howlands. This was actually the first time I've used a Bristol RE, and 6080 is an excellent runner for a vehicle of it's age. It was a real pleasure of a journey. 

Once I got across to the Rally site, it was pretty quiet, so I decided to have a quick look at the stalls, to see if there was anything of interest. I only really bother with North East models, and there wasn't anything there that really took my fancy. For anyone who collects models in general though, there was a fantastic selection.

I then decided to get a few shots of vehicles queuing up for the shuttle service (next to the P&R building), before heading up to the car park being used for the buses. There was plenty on display once again, and it was great to see three fantastic Atlanteans on display again - Newcastle Busways EJR111W , South Shields Busways SCN268S and Tyne and Wear PTE UVK290T. After getting a few shots of these and others, the two Nationals caught my eye. It was great to see them both side by side, and only seeing them 'in the flesh', do you appreciate how good of a restoration job both examples are. 

Marcus had pointed out the 4710 was heading out on the 1100 shuttle, and I managed to hop on that on the way out of the car park, before it went round and into the queue. There was a few of us from NEB sat at the back, and I'm glad I managed to occupy the back seat to appreciate the journey in true National fashion. We ended up looping the P&R site twice, and then picked up before heading out towards Durham. A fantastic journey, a bus that sounds perfect, and full of power! Once we got to North Road, a load of us jumped off and got plenty of photos. 

I decided to hang around North Road to see what was next in, as we had bumped into Malarkey by this point too. A rather ill-sounding 4843 came into Durham on the X22, but luckily another Northern bus turned up and pulled in behind - this time in the form of MetroBus 3501. We headed over for this, and straight to the upper deck for an enjoyable journey back to Howlands. It's the first time I've been on preserved 3501, and it's a fantastic restoration. 

After another brief look round, another journey to Durham embarked on us. This time in the form of Routemaster RML2686. Front seats upstairs occupied, and we headed back to North Road. Rather than heading straight back to Howlands on this though, the decision was made to pop into Greggs for some lunch. Another journey back to Howlands was made on Go North East's 5235.

Heading back to Howlands, we bumped into Dan, and had another look around the Rally site, before heading back to Durham for the final time. This time on ShawBros UFJ292. The same Arriva Solo was my 56 back home, which I can safely say is the worst bus I've ridden on all day. Wink 

Photos will be up later / when I can be arsed.

ANE 2810 - Coxhoe to Durham
United 6080 - Durham to Howlands
Northern 4710 - Howlands to Durham
Northern 3501 - Durham to Howlands
RML2686 - Howlands to Durham
GNE 5235 - Durham to Howlands
Shaws UFJ292 - Howlands to Durham
ANE 2810 - Durham to Coxhoe

LeeCalder

21 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm #76
I must say I had a brilliant day today!

I got to the rally quite early as I hadn't the slightest clue where it was as I have never been before. I met a couple of people off the forum including Adrian and Adam. It was nice to see Marcus again and he left me laughing all day after what he said quite early on.

The highlights of the day though have to be us shouting requests at John and Mark to change the blind on the OmniDekka and OmniCity. We ended up having the OmniCity on the S1 and the OmniDekka on the 706/707!

As well as this, Arriva North East let me loose in the cab of the 7627 (Max - X12 branded Wright Eclipse Gemini 2) and I ended up changing the blind to all kinds, including it going to Birtley on the 82 and Staff Shuttle. Then, I was aloud into the cab of 1323 (Alexander Enviro 200) and I ended up changing the blind to 'North East Bus and Coach Show', 'Nexus Bus', X12, 82/83 and even more random stuff including a strange pattern of letters and numbers! I haven't the slightest clue why that was programmed in!

I ended up going out and about on Arriva's Gemini 2 and on John's OmniDekka. Both were pleasant journeys even if the little radgies at the back of the bus kept pressing the bell over and over and over again.

To end the day I got A-Line's Optare Exel back to Durham which was driven by Daniel Annis, quite well I must say also!

I met some really nice people today, and I thoroughly enjoyed the day.
LeeCalder
21 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm #76

I must say I had a brilliant day today!

I got to the rally quite early as I hadn't the slightest clue where it was as I have never been before. I met a couple of people off the forum including Adrian and Adam. It was nice to see Marcus again and he left me laughing all day after what he said quite early on.

The highlights of the day though have to be us shouting requests at John and Mark to change the blind on the OmniDekka and OmniCity. We ended up having the OmniCity on the S1 and the OmniDekka on the 706/707!

As well as this, Arriva North East let me loose in the cab of the 7627 (Max - X12 branded Wright Eclipse Gemini 2) and I ended up changing the blind to all kinds, including it going to Birtley on the 82 and Staff Shuttle. Then, I was aloud into the cab of 1323 (Alexander Enviro 200) and I ended up changing the blind to 'North East Bus and Coach Show', 'Nexus Bus', X12, 82/83 and even more random stuff including a strange pattern of letters and numbers! I haven't the slightest clue why that was programmed in!

I ended up going out and about on Arriva's Gemini 2 and on John's OmniDekka. Both were pleasant journeys even if the little radgies at the back of the bus kept pressing the bell over and over and over again.

To end the day I got A-Line's Optare Exel back to Durham which was driven by Daniel Annis, quite well I must say also!

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Jun 2015, 5:31 pm #77
(21 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm)LeeCalder and even more random stuff including a strange pattern of letters and numbers! I haven't the slightest clue why that was programmed in!

I believe this was the LED sign test. It tells you a number of different things; including the size of the destination display, the version of the destination software it is running, and the switch setting the display is set to.

Helpful to the likes of citaro5284 and I..! Tongue 
Dan
21 Jun 2015, 5:31 pm #77

(21 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm)LeeCalder and even more random stuff including a strange pattern of letters and numbers! I haven't the slightest clue why that was programmed in!

I believe this was the LED sign test. It tells you a number of different things; including the size of the destination display, the version of the destination software it is running, and the switch setting the display is set to.

LeeCalder

21 Jun 2015, 5:40 pm #78
(21 Jun 2015, 5:31 pm)Dan I believe this was the LED sign test. It tells you a number of different things; including the size of the destination display, the version of the destination software it is running, and the switch setting the display is set to.

Ah right, thanks Dan. I was just wondering because one of the people I met from Darlington said to me put something unusual on so he could take a photo of it so I started looking through the bit with the likes of 'Not in Service' and 'Staff Bus' on and he said to me "What the hell have you put on, come and have a look", so I got out the cab and it literally said something like r5f8wj28dIROJ3!!
LeeCalder
21 Jun 2015, 5:40 pm #78

(21 Jun 2015, 5:31 pm)Dan I believe this was the LED sign test. It tells you a number of different things; including the size of the destination display, the version of the destination software it is running, and the switch setting the display is set to.

Ah right, thanks Dan. I was just wondering because one of the people I met from Darlington said to me put something unusual on so he could take a photo of it so I started looking through the bit with the likes of 'Not in Service' and 'Staff Bus' on and he said to me "What the hell have you put on, come and have a look", so I got out the cab and it literally said something like r5f8wj28dIROJ3!!

DanPicken

Banned

21 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm #79
(21 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm)LeeCalder I must say I had a brilliant day today!

Where's my mention! Only kidding with it being my first time at Howlands I was rather lost but had a great day and the highlights were shouting requests at Mark & John, being let loose in the Arriva buses and scaring the shit out of Davie by pressing the horn on 7627 also me, Lee, John and the kids at the back me annoying Gary Hunter by keep pressing the bell of 7627. However I was annoyed that Brockley Whins was programmed as Brockley Winns. Finally thanks to Lee, Baz, Davie, Adrian, Dan and of course Arriva for letting me and Lee loose in the Arriva vehicles.
DanPicken
21 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm #79

(21 Jun 2015, 5:17 pm)LeeCalder I must say I had a brilliant day today!

Where's my mention! Only kidding with it being my first time at Howlands I was rather lost but had a great day and the highlights were shouting requests at Mark & John, being let loose in the Arriva buses and scaring the shit out of Davie by pressing the horn on 7627 also me, Lee, John and the kids at the back me annoying Gary Hunter by keep pressing the bell of 7627. However I was annoyed that Brockley Whins was programmed as Brockley Winns. Finally thanks to Lee, Baz, Davie, Adrian, Dan and of course Arriva for letting me and Lee loose in the Arriva vehicles.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Jun 2015, 6:21 pm #80
(21 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm)danpick However I was annoyed that Brockley Whins was programmed as Brockley Winns. Finally thanks to Lee, Baz, Davie, Adrian, Dan and of course Arriva for letting me and Lee loose in the Arriva vehicles.

This one had nothing to do with me! Given that I pass the station twice-daily (Monday - Friday), I'm well aware of how to spell it...

I have made a separate programme, which is yet to be rolled out to any bus, and this features a Metro Replacement destination for every station on the Tyne & Wear Metro network. The destinations are in order of their location on the T&WM system (ie South Hylton is first, Pallion is second, Millfield is third, and so on). I can confirm that there are no spelling mistakes.

This programme is to be rolled out very shortly.
Dan
21 Jun 2015, 6:21 pm #80

(21 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm)danpick However I was annoyed that Brockley Whins was programmed as Brockley Winns. Finally thanks to Lee, Baz, Davie, Adrian, Dan and of course Arriva for letting me and Lee loose in the Arriva vehicles.

This one had nothing to do with me! Given that I pass the station twice-daily (Monday - Friday), I'm well aware of how to spell it...

I have made a separate programme, which is yet to be rolled out to any bus, and this features a Metro Replacement destination for every station on the Tyne & Wear Metro network. The destinations are in order of their location on the T&WM system (ie South Hylton is first, Pallion is second, Millfield is third, and so on). I can confirm that there are no spelling mistakes.

This programme is to be rolled out very shortly.

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average