Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2015

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (66) Previous 1 2 3 466 Next
02 Jul 2015, 5:43 pm #41
(02 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm)Sidthebusbabe I know this doesn't really answer your question but I usually notice in Consett that the 'Venture' Optare Solos are typically driven by younger drivers who I rarely (or never) see on other services, so perhaps there is some correlation between age (or progression) and a driver's 'status'.

It is my understanding that when a newly qualified driver starts their job at Stanley, they're allocated to the ''Venture'' network first, before progressing further.
R852 PRG
02 Jul 2015, 5:43 pm #41

(02 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm)Sidthebusbabe I know this doesn't really answer your question but I usually notice in Consett that the 'Venture' Optare Solos are typically driven by younger drivers who I rarely (or never) see on other services, so perhaps there is some correlation between age (or progression) and a driver's 'status'.

It is my understanding that when a newly qualified driver starts their job at Stanley, they're allocated to the ''Venture'' network first, before progressing further.

Michael

02 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm #42
(02 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm)DaveyBowyer Do you think that GNE will split the TTX to something like this:

- X9 = Peterlee Bus Station for Newcastle
- X10 = Peterlee Slip Road for Newcastle
- Evening X10 = Peterlee Bus Station for Newcastle

Probables not, don't see the point when the drivers have the tacho-graph training.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm #42

(02 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm)DaveyBowyer Do you think that GNE will split the TTX to something like this:

- X9 = Peterlee Bus Station for Newcastle
- X10 = Peterlee Slip Road for Newcastle
- Evening X10 = Peterlee Bus Station for Newcastle

Probables not, don't see the point when the drivers have the tacho-graph training.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

02 Jul 2015, 6:19 pm #43
(02 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm)Michael Probables not, don't see the point when the drivers have the tacho-graph training.

I don't like really long routes that until recently had Tacographs like the X93, Guisbourgh for Whitby for Scarborough.....Really what made Arriva change it anyways? The B9s had Tacos, ok they were problematic but it doesn't really make clear to passengers were the bus is going is it going to Guisbourgh or Whitby or Scarborough? We all know what passengers can be like these days!

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
02 Jul 2015, 6:19 pm #43

(02 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm)Michael Probables not, don't see the point when the drivers have the tacho-graph training.

I don't like really long routes that until recently had Tacographs like the X93, Guisbourgh for Whitby for Scarborough.....Really what made Arriva change it anyways? The B9s had Tacos, ok they were problematic but it doesn't really make clear to passengers were the bus is going is it going to Guisbourgh or Whitby or Scarborough? We all know what passengers can be like these days!

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Adrian

02 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm #44
(02 Jul 2015, 6:19 pm)South Tyne Lad I don't like really long routes that until recently had Tacographs like the X93, Guisbourgh for Whitby for Scarborough.....Really what made Arriva change it anyways? The B9s had Tacos, ok they were problematic but it doesn't really make clear to passengers were the bus is going is it going to Guisbourgh or Whitby or Scarborough? We all know what passengers can be like these days!

I don't know much about what happened there, but I'd assume cost. Splitting the route, therefore avoiding the requirement of a tacho, means that drivers are on GB domestic rules rather than EU rules.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm #44

(02 Jul 2015, 6:19 pm)South Tyne Lad I don't like really long routes that until recently had Tacographs like the X93, Guisbourgh for Whitby for Scarborough.....Really what made Arriva change it anyways? The B9s had Tacos, ok they were problematic but it doesn't really make clear to passengers were the bus is going is it going to Guisbourgh or Whitby or Scarborough? We all know what passengers can be like these days!

I don't know much about what happened there, but I'd assume cost. Splitting the route, therefore avoiding the requirement of a tacho, means that drivers are on GB domestic rules rather than EU rules.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Jul 2015, 6:38 pm #45
(02 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm)aureolin I don't know much about what happened there, but I'd assume cost. Splitting the route, therefore avoiding the requirement of a tacho, means that drivers are on GB domestic rules rather than EU rules.

Exactly that, and gives the depot greater flexibility with allocations / driving staff.

However, I don't think the A19 Peterlee slip-road would qualify as a valid splitting point? I'd imagine this would have happened a long time ago, otherwise.

(26 Jun 2015, 8:51 am)Dan Ahead of branding being introduced to the 35/36 services; Deptford-based gold liveried Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5300 (NK08 CHF) has arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into a fresh coat of gold.

This vehicle has now returned to service at Deptford, while Deptford-based gold liveried Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5298 (NK08 CHC) has taken its place at Saltmeadows Road for repaint.
Dan
02 Jul 2015, 6:38 pm #45

(02 Jul 2015, 6:34 pm)aureolin I don't know much about what happened there, but I'd assume cost. Splitting the route, therefore avoiding the requirement of a tacho, means that drivers are on GB domestic rules rather than EU rules.

Exactly that, and gives the depot greater flexibility with allocations / driving staff.

However, I don't think the A19 Peterlee slip-road would qualify as a valid splitting point? I'd imagine this would have happened a long time ago, otherwise.

(26 Jun 2015, 8:51 am)Dan Ahead of branding being introduced to the 35/36 services; Deptford-based gold liveried Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5300 (NK08 CHF) has arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into a fresh coat of gold.

This vehicle has now returned to service at Deptford, while Deptford-based gold liveried Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5298 (NK08 CHC) has taken its place at Saltmeadows Road for repaint.

citaro5284

02 Jul 2015, 6:42 pm #46

And under EU Regs all drivers and vehicles driving records have to checked (normally by an outside company), so there is a cost there, and along with that each driver needs a digital tachograph card costing £32 and then when they need to be renewed (I think every 5 years) that is another £19.  You also need a Company card to download vehicle data, once again costing £32, so it all adds up.
citaro5284
02 Jul 2015, 6:42 pm #46

And under EU Regs all drivers and vehicles driving records have to checked (normally by an outside company), so there is a cost there, and along with that each driver needs a digital tachograph card costing £32 and then when they need to be renewed (I think every 5 years) that is another £19.  You also need a Company card to download vehicle data, once again costing £32, so it all adds up.

Kuyoyo

02 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm #47

Splitting the route brings the drivers onto domestic hours (10 hours maximum a day, maximum of 5.5 hours driving time before a meal break is mandatory) rather than the more complex EU hours (maximum of 4.5 hours before a mandatory break). Although the amount of trips the driver can do hasn't changed on the X93 (drivers can still only do Whitby-Middlesbrouugh-Whitby or Whitby-Scarborough-Whitby, bar the two Redcar duties which do Middlesbrough-Scarborough-Whitby at the start and end of the day) it gives more flexibility if there's an accident along the route.
Kuyoyo
02 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm #47

Splitting the route brings the drivers onto domestic hours (10 hours maximum a day, maximum of 5.5 hours driving time before a meal break is mandatory) rather than the more complex EU hours (maximum of 4.5 hours before a mandatory break). Although the amount of trips the driver can do hasn't changed on the X93 (drivers can still only do Whitby-Middlesbrouugh-Whitby or Whitby-Scarborough-Whitby, bar the two Redcar duties which do Middlesbrough-Scarborough-Whitby at the start and end of the day) it gives more flexibility if there's an accident along the route.

Diamond One

Banned

02 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm #48
I've just had a thought perhaps the metro radio bus could make an appearance at CLS event
Diamond One
02 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm #48

I've just had a thought perhaps the metro radio bus could make an appearance at CLS event

G-CPTN

02 Jul 2015, 11:11 pm #49
(02 Jul 2015, 8:03 am)thetravelman I'm sure going back a good few years when the TEN service was introduced, the advertising said that these services were operated by Gold drivers or something to that effect?? Giving the impression that certain flagship routes like TEN had a certain number of select drivers, and not just any driver would be operating it.
IIRC, the statement was along the lines of 'friendly local drivers' - implying that the drivers were familiar with the route and able to advise pax where to get off (though I did hear one driver telling a pax that he didn't know where the Halfway House was when he asked for a fare to there).
G-CPTN
02 Jul 2015, 11:11 pm #49

(02 Jul 2015, 8:03 am)thetravelman I'm sure going back a good few years when the TEN service was introduced, the advertising said that these services were operated by Gold drivers or something to that effect?? Giving the impression that certain flagship routes like TEN had a certain number of select drivers, and not just any driver would be operating it.
IIRC, the statement was along the lines of 'friendly local drivers' - implying that the drivers were familiar with the route and able to advise pax where to get off (though I did hear one driver telling a pax that he didn't know where the Halfway House was when he asked for a fare to there).

LeeCalder

02 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm #50
(02 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm)Diamond One I've just had a thought perhaps the metro radio bus could make an appearance at CLS event

How if it isn't branded yet?
LeeCalder
02 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm #50

(02 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm)Diamond One I've just had a thought perhaps the metro radio bus could make an appearance at CLS event

How if it isn't branded yet?

Diamond One

Banned

03 Jul 2015, 12:02 am #51
(02 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm)LeeCalder How if it isn't branded yet?

could have been done in secret once if i may recall that Versa 8319 was branded and nobody knew about it until the Tyne Tees Run in 2013
Diamond One
03 Jul 2015, 12:02 am #51

(02 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm)LeeCalder How if it isn't branded yet?

could have been done in secret once if i may recall that Versa 8319 was branded and nobody knew about it until the Tyne Tees Run in 2013

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jul 2015, 4:35 am #52
(03 Jul 2015, 12:02 am)Diamond One could have been done in secret once if i may recall that Versa 8319 was branded and nobody knew about it until the Tyne Tees Run in 2013

busmanT stated it was being branded "at the weekend".

I may be wrong as I have no involvement with rallies, but I would therefore suggest that an appearance at the Whitley Bay bus rally may be on the cards, with 6133 making its debut appearance here?

In other news; "The Orbit" branded Optare Versa V1110/Optare 8336 (NK11 HJG) has arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into "QuayLink" yellow base livery.
Dan
03 Jul 2015, 4:35 am #52

(03 Jul 2015, 12:02 am)Diamond One could have been done in secret once if i may recall that Versa 8319 was branded and nobody knew about it until the Tyne Tees Run in 2013

busmanT stated it was being branded "at the weekend".

I may be wrong as I have no involvement with rallies, but I would therefore suggest that an appearance at the Whitley Bay bus rally may be on the cards, with 6133 making its debut appearance here?

In other news; "The Orbit" branded Optare Versa V1110/Optare 8336 (NK11 HJG) has arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into "QuayLink" yellow base livery.

L469 YVK

03 Jul 2015, 6:36 am #53
I think that although the X9 / X10 could be split, if something was to go badly wrong on the A19 at 55-60 mph as opposed to the rural roads of East Yorkshire, Teesside or Northumberland, the consequences could be far more severe for the passengers and of course the driver and I think although GNE could split the route, I don't think they will for the time being.
L469 YVK
03 Jul 2015, 6:36 am #53

I think that although the X9 / X10 could be split, if something was to go badly wrong on the A19 at 55-60 mph as opposed to the rural roads of East Yorkshire, Teesside or Northumberland, the consequences could be far more severe for the passengers and of course the driver and I think although GNE could split the route, I don't think they will for the time being.

03 Jul 2015, 8:09 am #54
Morning,

Just a personal comment about the New ToonLink branding...

Firstly I must say I do like the new look brand and I think the Scania Omnicity's look great in Black !

The only bit I think looks possibly confusing to people and I'm not sure I like it is the destination place names shown along the side...

Blackhall Mill - Chopwell - Crawcrook - Winlaton - Blaydon - Newcastle Business Park & Newcastle City Centre.

I think it looks a little misleading/confusing - it look as though the bus follows that's route, where as it does from Newcastle to Blaydon but then splits at that point Service 32 Blaydon to Winlaton and then service 11 Blaydon - Crawcrook - Chopwell and Blackhall Mill.
Also the service 31 does not follow the route.

This may be just me being picky - but thought I'd share my thoughts. 

Is anyone attending the ToonLink promotion day at Blaydon tomorrow?

Cheers.
thetravelman
03 Jul 2015, 8:09 am #54

Morning,

Firstly I must say I do like the new look brand and I think the Scania Omnicity's look great in Black !

The only bit I think looks possibly confusing to people and I'm not sure I like it is the destination place names shown along the side...

Blackhall Mill - Chopwell - Crawcrook - Winlaton - Blaydon - Newcastle Business Park & Newcastle City Centre.

I think it looks a little misleading/confusing - it look as though the bus follows that's route, where as it does from Newcastle to Blaydon but then splits at that point Service 32 Blaydon to Winlaton and then service 11 Blaydon - Crawcrook - Chopwell and Blackhall Mill.

Cheers.

cbma06

03 Jul 2015, 9:15 am #55
(03 Jul 2015, 8:09 am)thetravelman Morning,

Cheers.

Its the same as the coast and country 8/78, branding on the side says Washington but service 78 doesn't go to Washington and the branding on the side says consett but service 8 doesn't go to Consett.

cbma06
03 Jul 2015, 9:15 am #55

(03 Jul 2015, 8:09 am)thetravelman Morning,

Cheers.

Its the same as the coast and country 8/78, branding on the side says Washington but service 78 doesn't go to Washington and the branding on the side says consett but service 8 doesn't go to Consett.

Malarkey

03 Jul 2015, 1:50 pm #56
6063, 7117 along with another Unidentified National Expess Levante, and an Unidentified Wright Renown and East Lancs Vyking all Parked up at Volvo Bus & Truck at Crowther this afternoon, Seems like whenever I walk past there, there is always an Angel B5LH in the Pits.
Malarkey
03 Jul 2015, 1:50 pm #56

6063, 7117 along with another Unidentified National Expess Levante, and an Unidentified Wright Renown and East Lancs Vyking all Parked up at Volvo Bus & Truck at Crowther this afternoon, Seems like whenever I walk past there, there is always an Angel B5LH in the Pits.

S813 FVK

03 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm #57
8310 now carries a rear advertisement: https://flic.kr/p/vwdRcU
S813 FVK
03 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm #57

8310 now carries a rear advertisement: https://flic.kr/p/vwdRcU

S813 FVK

03 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm #58
Have to admit, it was a great sight seeing all 3 Red Streetlites practically in a convoy through Annfield Plain tonight. First 5409 on a 78 to Consett followed by 5419 which was on the 44A to Newcastle and finally 5401 trailing on the X31 to Lanchester.
S813 FVK
03 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm #58

Have to admit, it was a great sight seeing all 3 Red Streetlites practically in a convoy through Annfield Plain tonight. First 5409 on a 78 to Consett followed by 5419 which was on the 44A to Newcastle and finally 5401 trailing on the X31 to Lanchester.

Tom

04 Jul 2015, 8:55 am #59
Eldon Square is blocked due to broken down vehicle, services #21,‪#‎X21‬,‪#‎X25‬,#28,‪#‎28A are terminating and picking up at Blackett street, all other services are serving Eldon Square but using other stands, Nexus assisting.
Tom
04 Jul 2015, 8:55 am #59

Eldon Square is blocked due to broken down vehicle, services #21,‪#‎X21‬,‪#‎X25‬,#28,‪#‎28A are terminating and picking up at Blackett street, all other services are serving Eldon Square but using other stands, Nexus assisting.

Michael

04 Jul 2015, 8:57 am #60
(04 Jul 2015, 8:55 am)Tom Eldon Square is blocked due to broken down vehicle, services #21,‪#‎X21‬,‪#‎X25‬,#28,‪#‎28A are terminating and picking up at Blackett street, all other services are serving Eldon Square but using other stands, Nexus assisting.

Oh dear, that's going to be fun until its moved................

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jul 2015, 8:57 am #60

(04 Jul 2015, 8:55 am)Tom Eldon Square is blocked due to broken down vehicle, services #21,‪#‎X21‬,‪#‎X25‬,#28,‪#‎28A are terminating and picking up at Blackett street, all other services are serving Eldon Square but using other stands, Nexus assisting.

Oh dear, that's going to be fun until its moved................

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (66) Previous 1 2 3 466 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average