Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (62) Previous 17 8 962 Next
03 Aug 2015, 11:46 pm #141
(03 Aug 2015, 8:22 pm)MurdnunoC Are you on about the 'Tyneside Toughened' glass?

If so, it is used in vehicles all over the world - buses included.

http://www.tynesidesafetyglass.com/indus...sport.html

Tyneside Toughened Glass is used quite a lot, though sometimes the windows aren't always branded. Apparently they have a factory in Germany.

Whilst we're on about it, I was actually suprised to find glass with the Tyneside Toughened logo on buses and trains in Belgium.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
03 Aug 2015, 11:46 pm #141

(03 Aug 2015, 8:22 pm)MurdnunoC Are you on about the 'Tyneside Toughened' glass?

If so, it is used in vehicles all over the world - buses included.

http://www.tynesidesafetyglass.com/indus...sport.html

Tyneside Toughened Glass is used quite a lot, though sometimes the windows aren't always branded. Apparently they have a factory in Germany.

Whilst we're on about it, I was actually suprised to find glass with the Tyneside Toughened logo on buses and trains in Belgium.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2015, 6:05 am #142
(03 Aug 2015, 11:18 pm)ne1eng Re: NEXT STOP ANNOUNCEMENTS.

Used a couple of Quaylinks today. I'm all for NSAs but the Q3 I was on had slightly too loud NSAs and as previously mentioned each stop name is read out twice.
On the Q2 I was on it would say for example "Next stop, Gateshead Interchange", then on approach/arrival it would simply say "Gateshead Interchange". Seemed ok I guess but the Q3 I was on didn't say "Next stop". So it felt very repetitive, e.g "Regent Centre", them 1 minute later: "Regent Centre". I actually noticed 2 other passengers rolling their eyes at this.

Have to say I personally prefer the more professional Arriva Saphire NSAs, compared to GNE's overly local/yocal ones. (I like the Cobalt Clipper ones though). Wasn't impressed with Alan Robson's Quaylink NSAs despite not minding him on Night Owls.

Also when on a Citylink58 I couldn't tell what had changed with their NSAs? Anyone know?

Volunteering with Guide Dogs a little when not at work, I've learnt that hearing the destination of the bus is also important, as well as the approaching stop name. I can't see a London iBus style approach being popular here where they read the route number and destination EVERY time the doors close after a stop, but maybe after every 3rd stop it'd be okay? E.g, "58 to Hadrian Park. Next stop Civic Centre/University of Northumbria".
Thoughts, GNE officials? Smile

On older vehicles, the controllers have a volume setting between 0 (off) and 10 (extremely loud). The "Quaylink" branded vehicles are all set to 5, so they shouldn't be too loud nor too quiet (and in my opinion, the volume is perfect when there are some passengers on the vehicle which adds to the background noise, having tested them out while in service). I believe there are six speakers on an Optare Versa, so if you happen to sit underneath a speaker, it may sound louder to you than it would had you sat a seat or two behind. We receive a lot more complaints about the announcements being too quiet or not working at all, so I doubt we'll be going any quieter than 5, but we can certainly check to ensure that all vehicles are actually set to 5.

The "at stop" announcement does not include "This is" and merely states the stop name. Admittedly, this does irritate me too. It isn't included at all on the Red Kite 45/46 or Coast & Country 8/78 (but is shown on the screen). It's finding a happy medium between informative and obtrusive to those passengers who don't rely on Next Stop Announcements (not forgetting our drivers, who have to spend a hell of a lot longer on the bus than the passengers!)

The use of a more 'professional' voice is subject to opinion and has been debated many many times. I have no problem with the recent Go North East announcements, although I personally find the gimmicky announcements on the Red Arrows a bit annoying after a while (if I can guess the next stop is Herrington Burn, why bother telling me?!) There's no reason why these cannot be re-launched in time, allowing us to review the content of the screens and potentially look to including the line plan which we've used on the "Quaylink" services.

The content of the screens is all that has changed on the "Citylink" announcements - some of the stop names revised slightly, higher quality images added, and images re-positioned so that they are the same on every slide.

As ever, we are happy to take on all feedback. We can certainly look into the possibility of adding the terminus of the route as an announcement in future.
Dan
04 Aug 2015, 6:05 am #142

(03 Aug 2015, 11:18 pm)ne1eng Re: NEXT STOP ANNOUNCEMENTS.

Used a couple of Quaylinks today. I'm all for NSAs but the Q3 I was on had slightly too loud NSAs and as previously mentioned each stop name is read out twice.
On the Q2 I was on it would say for example "Next stop, Gateshead Interchange", then on approach/arrival it would simply say "Gateshead Interchange". Seemed ok I guess but the Q3 I was on didn't say "Next stop". So it felt very repetitive, e.g "Regent Centre", them 1 minute later: "Regent Centre". I actually noticed 2 other passengers rolling their eyes at this.

Have to say I personally prefer the more professional Arriva Saphire NSAs, compared to GNE's overly local/yocal ones. (I like the Cobalt Clipper ones though). Wasn't impressed with Alan Robson's Quaylink NSAs despite not minding him on Night Owls.

Also when on a Citylink58 I couldn't tell what had changed with their NSAs? Anyone know?

Volunteering with Guide Dogs a little when not at work, I've learnt that hearing the destination of the bus is also important, as well as the approaching stop name. I can't see a London iBus style approach being popular here where they read the route number and destination EVERY time the doors close after a stop, but maybe after every 3rd stop it'd be okay? E.g, "58 to Hadrian Park. Next stop Civic Centre/University of Northumbria".
Thoughts, GNE officials? Smile

On older vehicles, the controllers have a volume setting between 0 (off) and 10 (extremely loud). The "Quaylink" branded vehicles are all set to 5, so they shouldn't be too loud nor too quiet (and in my opinion, the volume is perfect when there are some passengers on the vehicle which adds to the background noise, having tested them out while in service). I believe there are six speakers on an Optare Versa, so if you happen to sit underneath a speaker, it may sound louder to you than it would had you sat a seat or two behind. We receive a lot more complaints about the announcements being too quiet or not working at all, so I doubt we'll be going any quieter than 5, but we can certainly check to ensure that all vehicles are actually set to 5.

The "at stop" announcement does not include "This is" and merely states the stop name. Admittedly, this does irritate me too. It isn't included at all on the Red Kite 45/46 or Coast & Country 8/78 (but is shown on the screen). It's finding a happy medium between informative and obtrusive to those passengers who don't rely on Next Stop Announcements (not forgetting our drivers, who have to spend a hell of a lot longer on the bus than the passengers!)

The use of a more 'professional' voice is subject to opinion and has been debated many many times. I have no problem with the recent Go North East announcements, although I personally find the gimmicky announcements on the Red Arrows a bit annoying after a while (if I can guess the next stop is Herrington Burn, why bother telling me?!) There's no reason why these cannot be re-launched in time, allowing us to review the content of the screens and potentially look to including the line plan which we've used on the "Quaylink" services.

The content of the screens is all that has changed on the "Citylink" announcements - some of the stop names revised slightly, higher quality images added, and images re-positioned so that they are the same on every slide.

As ever, we are happy to take on all feedback. We can certainly look into the possibility of adding the terminus of the route as an announcement in future.

LeeCalder

04 Aug 2015, 7:43 am #143
On the subject of the Next Stop Announcements, If you type in "Go North East" on Twitter, the amount of people complaining about them is crazy! Especially the QuayLink ones. I know a lot of drivers that hate them as well.

I'm not so bothered about the Next Stop's on the Red Arrows, Cobalt Clipper, Angel, Fab56. However, the Lime, Red Kite and QuayLink I am not a fan of at all.
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 7:45 am by LeeCalder.
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 7:43 am #143

On the subject of the Next Stop Announcements, If you type in "Go North East" on Twitter, the amount of people complaining about them is crazy! Especially the QuayLink ones. I know a lot of drivers that hate them as well.

I'm not so bothered about the Next Stop's on the Red Arrows, Cobalt Clipper, Angel, Fab56. However, the Lime, Red Kite and QuayLink I am not a fan of at all.

Adrian

04 Aug 2015, 7:50 am #144
(04 Aug 2015, 7:43 am)LeeCalder On the subject of the Next Stop Announcements, If you type in "Go North East" on Twitter, the amount of people complaining about them is crazy! Especially the QuayLink ones. I know a lot of drivers that hate them as well.

I take it none of those people complaining have disabilities, such as partial sight, though?

It's all about making the buses more accessible, and that's a great thing in my opinion

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 7:50 am #144

(04 Aug 2015, 7:43 am)LeeCalder On the subject of the Next Stop Announcements, If you type in "Go North East" on Twitter, the amount of people complaining about them is crazy! Especially the QuayLink ones. I know a lot of drivers that hate them as well.

I take it none of those people complaining have disabilities, such as partial sight, though?

It's all about making the buses more accessible, and that's a great thing in my opinion

tyresmoke

04 Aug 2015, 8:21 am #145
(04 Aug 2015, 7:50 am)aureolin I take it none of those people complaining have disabilities, such as partial sight, though?

Agreed!
Putting the destination in might be best after major stops although I suppose less of an issue at major stops like Regent Centre where buses only go to one destination.
I'm not sure the drivers having to listen to them is a major issue, you tend to switch off anyway - I know I sometimes have to specifically listen for one to make sure they're working now as it all becomes background noise.

The trams in Sheffield also have an interesting set up by which each route has next stop announcements in a different voice - the theory behind it being regulars would know if they jump on the wrong tram by the voice being used!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
04 Aug 2015, 8:21 am #145

(04 Aug 2015, 7:50 am)aureolin I take it none of those people complaining have disabilities, such as partial sight, though?

Agreed!
Putting the destination in might be best after major stops although I suppose less of an issue at major stops like Regent Centre where buses only go to one destination.
I'm not sure the drivers having to listen to them is a major issue, you tend to switch off anyway - I know I sometimes have to specifically listen for one to make sure they're working now as it all becomes background noise.

The trams in Sheffield also have an interesting set up by which each route has next stop announcements in a different voice - the theory behind it being regulars would know if they jump on the wrong tram by the voice being used!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 8:29 am #146

Yeah, people who don't need the assistance of the announcements will always complain about them as they don't need to hear them so they won't be happy about having to listen to them when they don't need the assistance of them.

As much as the announcements on the Enviro 400s can be a little annoying on an early morning 7 sometimes, I have no issues with them as it is there for people who need the assistance and also it is nice when you are on a route you don't know, was great when I first did the Sapphire 5/5A down on Teesside when I picked a few spots for photos and the announcements meant I didn't miss any stops. I'm more annoyed by announcements not being loud enough recently, the ones on the Darlington 5/5A are nearly almost muted, what a waste of money they were!
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 8:29 am #146

Yeah, people who don't need the assistance of the announcements will always complain about them as they don't need to hear them so they won't be happy about having to listen to them when they don't need the assistance of them.

As much as the announcements on the Enviro 400s can be a little annoying on an early morning 7 sometimes, I have no issues with them as it is there for people who need the assistance and also it is nice when you are on a route you don't know, was great when I first did the Sapphire 5/5A down on Teesside when I picked a few spots for photos and the announcements meant I didn't miss any stops. I'm more annoyed by announcements not being loud enough recently, the ones on the Darlington 5/5A are nearly almost muted, what a waste of money they were!

LeeCalder

04 Aug 2015, 8:42 am #147

I agree with your second point. However, next stop announcements do annoy me as well at times, especially when they are blaring.

I don't have a massive problem with them, but, they do get very tedious at times and I think that is what annoys some people.

I think if they just said "Next Stop Theatre Royal" instead of repeating it as you go past it would not annoy as many people.
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 8:42 am #147

I agree with your second point. However, next stop announcements do annoy me as well at times, especially when they are blaring.

I don't have a massive problem with them, but, they do get very tedious at times and I think that is what annoys some people.

I think if they just said "Next Stop Theatre Royal" instead of repeating it as you go past it would not annoy as many people.

S813 FVK

04 Aug 2015, 8:56 am #148
http://www.simplygo.com/news/durham-coun...-16-august
Go North East will also be there with one of the Coast&Country branded Streetlites.
S813 FVK
04 Aug 2015, 8:56 am #148

http://www.simplygo.com/news/durham-coun...-16-august
Go North East will also be there with one of the Coast&Country branded Streetlites.

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 9:17 am #149
Don't suppose anyone has seen the Seeitdoit Merc today?

If anyone does let me know, preferably with time and location you saw it.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 9:17 am #149

Don't suppose anyone has seen the Seeitdoit Merc today?

If anyone does let me know, preferably with time and location you saw it.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2015, 9:27 am #150
Go North East's Fleet News for this week:

The outstanding vehicles from the order for 14 Optare Solos have now been received. They are 661: NK15 GFJ and 666: NK15 EMJ. Volvo B10BLEs 4841: R841 PRG and 5164: T814 CBW have been withdrawn from Riverside depot and Trident 3804: V804 EBR has been withdrawn from Chester le Street.
Dan
04 Aug 2015, 9:27 am #150

Go North East's Fleet News for this week:

The outstanding vehicles from the order for 14 Optare Solos have now been received. They are 661: NK15 GFJ and 666: NK15 EMJ. Volvo B10BLEs 4841: R841 PRG and 5164: T814 CBW have been withdrawn from Riverside depot and Trident 3804: V804 EBR has been withdrawn from Chester le Street.

04 Aug 2015, 10:05 am #151
Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3868 seems to have broken down in Sacriston, while operating service X25 to Newcastle.
R852 PRG
04 Aug 2015, 10:05 am #151

Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3868 seems to have broken down in Sacriston, while operating service X25 to Newcastle.

Andreos1

04 Aug 2015, 10:08 am #152
Maybe the next stop announcements need to be of a happy medium?

Designed to suit ALL parties.
Not annoying enough to frustrate regulars, informative enough to inform irregulars on the route and clear enough for those with disabilities.

At the moment, there seems to be a hotch potch of methods used, using different visual imagery and differing tones/styles - that aren't pleasing everyone.

Without going into specifics, I think we are all aware of the differing tones/styles used on vehicles with the different operators.

Maybe it goes back to point I made last month about the operators actually involving customers in a focus group and finding out...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Aug 2015, 10:08 am #152

Maybe the next stop announcements need to be of a happy medium?

Not annoying enough to frustrate regulars, informative enough to inform irregulars on the route and clear enough for those with disabilities.

At the moment, there seems to be a hotch potch of methods used, using different visual imagery and differing tones/styles - that aren't pleasing everyone.

Without going into specifics, I think we are all aware of the differing tones/styles used on vehicles with the different operators.

Maybe it goes back to point I made last month about the operators actually involving customers in a focus group and finding out...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 10:32 am #153
If anyone is looking for Seeitdoit 5303, it's just left Houghton-le-Spring on the 35 bound for Boldon.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 10:32 am #153

If anyone is looking for Seeitdoit 5303, it's just left Houghton-le-Spring on the 35 bound for Boldon.

04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am #154
Barnes Park will be the location for the See It Do It celebrations event on Friday.
10am - 4pm near the car park.
http://www.simplygo.com/news/barnes-park...y-7-august
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 1:09 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am #154

Barnes Park will be the location for the See It Do It celebrations event on Friday.

citaro5284

04 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm #155
Thanks Bob.....you have disabled private messaging so I cannot reply, but will get it looked into.
citaro5284
04 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm #155

Thanks Bob.....you have disabled private messaging so I cannot reply, but will get it looked into.

BusLoverMum

04 Aug 2015, 12:39 pm #156
(04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am)GX03 SVC Barnes Park will be the location for the See It Do It celebrations event on Friday.

We've had to change our week's plans a little to fit that in. Were just going to get an arriva family ticket on Friday, planning a longer day out with a family explorer tomorrow or Thursday. Friday will now be the day with the explorer. We can go in the long way around and get the 20/20A from Durham, then maybe get a stagecoach bus into Sunderland once we've got our bags! Bit of lunch (no doubt eldest will want an M&S salmon and cucumber sarnie and youngest a packet of sausage rolls - they're creatures of habit - or I might pack them a picnic if the forecast rain doesn't materialise) then off on the 9, through the Tyne tunnel.
BusLoverMum
04 Aug 2015, 12:39 pm #156

(04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am)GX03 SVC Barnes Park will be the location for the See It Do It celebrations event on Friday.

We've had to change our week's plans a little to fit that in. Were just going to get an arriva family ticket on Friday, planning a longer day out with a family explorer tomorrow or Thursday. Friday will now be the day with the explorer. We can go in the long way around and get the 20/20A from Durham, then maybe get a stagecoach bus into Sunderland once we've got our bags! Bit of lunch (no doubt eldest will want an M&S salmon and cucumber sarnie and youngest a packet of sausage rolls - they're creatures of habit - or I might pack them a picnic if the forecast rain doesn't materialise) then off on the 9, through the Tyne tunnel.

Tom

04 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm #157

Might head over if I'm not doing anything else. Thought it might have been in the City Centre though.
Tom
04 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm #157

Might head over if I'm not doing anything else. Thought it might have been in the City Centre though.

04 Aug 2015, 2:16 pm #158
(04 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm)Tom Might head over if I'm not doing anything else. Thought it might have been in the City Centre though.

So did I, Mowbray Park, Glass Centre or the city centre would have been my guesses.
omnicity4659
04 Aug 2015, 2:16 pm #158

(04 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm)Tom Might head over if I'm not doing anything else. Thought it might have been in the City Centre though.

So did I, Mowbray Park, Glass Centre or the city centre would have been my guesses.

Adrian

04 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm #159
(04 Aug 2015, 10:08 am)Andreos1 Maybe the next stop announcements need to be of a happy medium?

I'll always support the use of focus groups. Proper ones mind, not just the odd email to a distribution group. I just think that NSAs is one of those topics that you'll never reach a happy medium with.

I'm a fan of the latest NSA implementations, as the chatter has been removed. Informative, the volume is spot on IMO, and I'm even a fan of those doing the voice-overs. 

The Red Arrows and angel ones however, make me switch off. I get sick and tired of hearing the "Please ring the bell and remain seated until your bus has stopped" every time the next stop changes, but I guess if there's statistics that show it's reduced accidents, then it's worthwhile it being there? I've not seen any numbers by the way! :Smile

Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm #159

(04 Aug 2015, 10:08 am)Andreos1 Maybe the next stop announcements need to be of a happy medium?

I'll always support the use of focus groups. Proper ones mind, not just the odd email to a distribution group. I just think that NSAs is one of those topics that you'll never reach a happy medium with.

I'm a fan of the latest NSA implementations, as the chatter has been removed. Informative, the volume is spot on IMO, and I'm even a fan of those doing the voice-overs. 

The Red Arrows and angel ones however, make me switch off. I get sick and tired of hearing the "Please ring the bell and remain seated until your bus has stopped" every time the next stop changes, but I guess if there's statistics that show it's reduced accidents, then it's worthwhile it being there? I've not seen any numbers by the way! :Smile

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2015, 4:55 pm #160
(04 Aug 2015, 6:05 am)Dan The "at stop" announcement does not include "This is" and merely states the stop name. Admittedly, this does irritate me too. It isn't included at all on the Red Kite 45/46 or Coast & Country 8/78 (but is shown on the screen). It's finding a happy medium between informative and obtrusive to those passengers who don't rely on Next Stop Announcements (not forgetting our drivers, who have to spend a hell of a lot longer on the bus than the passengers!)

My, I never thought I'd live to see the day that Andreos1 (indirectly) agreed with something that I had said..!  Rolleyes
Dan
04 Aug 2015, 4:55 pm #160

(04 Aug 2015, 6:05 am)Dan The "at stop" announcement does not include "This is" and merely states the stop name. Admittedly, this does irritate me too. It isn't included at all on the Red Kite 45/46 or Coast & Country 8/78 (but is shown on the screen). It's finding a happy medium between informative and obtrusive to those passengers who don't rely on Next Stop Announcements (not forgetting our drivers, who have to spend a hell of a lot longer on the bus than the passengers!)

My, I never thought I'd live to see the day that Andreos1 (indirectly) agreed with something that I had said..!  Rolleyes

Pages (62) Previous 17 8 962 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average