Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (62) Previous 19 10 1162 Next
Davie

Banned

04 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm #181
(04 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm)Malarkey Tell you what I have a cracking memory of these services mind, baring in mind that I would been the age of some of the younger enthusiasts on the forum at the time, im 22 and probably of a lot more knowledge of the past GNE Services than some of the Members who are a lot older than I am, goes to show how much attention/interest I payed to Buses when I was younger, just wish I started taking photos a lot sooner as I really liked some of the Branding when they first started to be rolled out.

I wish I was taking photographs when some of the older services such as; X2/X3/X4/X5/X90 & X94 (That's going back a bit) used to pass Wrekenton.
Davie
04 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm #181

(04 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm)Malarkey Tell you what I have a cracking memory of these services mind, baring in mind that I would been the age of some of the younger enthusiasts on the forum at the time, im 22 and probably of a lot more knowledge of the past GNE Services than some of the Members who are a lot older than I am, goes to show how much attention/interest I payed to Buses when I was younger, just wish I started taking photos a lot sooner as I really liked some of the Branding when they first started to be rolled out.

I wish I was taking photographs when some of the older services such as; X2/X3/X4/X5/X90 & X94 (That's going back a bit) used to pass Wrekenton.

citaro5284

04 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm #182

I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know  Tongue
citaro5284
04 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm #182

I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know  Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm #183

Divvint big ya sel up too much Malarkey - you were saying OK Expressways were on loan to Sunderland Rd when the OK1 was axed the other day, and that was far from reet..!

citaro5284 would give ya a run for ya money on services in general, that's for sure... Regularly talks about stuff that was gaan on before I was even born.. Daint knaa how he remembers some of the stuff he cracks on about some days!
Dan
04 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm #183

Divvint big ya sel up too much Malarkey - you were saying OK Expressways were on loan to Sunderland Rd when the OK1 was axed the other day, and that was far from reet..!

citaro5284 would give ya a run for ya money on services in general, that's for sure... Regularly talks about stuff that was gaan on before I was even born.. Daint knaa how he remembers some of the stuff he cracks on about some days!

Andreos1

04 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm #184
(04 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm)R852 PRG You've made my day. Tongue
Don't say that, your mate won't be too pleased... Wink

(04 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm)Jimmi I must have a better doctors surgery than you as mine has TV screens!
TV screens?!
Mind at least the scrolling dot matrix display at my doctors has a little Pac Man. Would pay money to see a Pac Man next time I get the 78!

(04 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm)BJ10VUS Did they ever work properly? I think this was one of the ones that worked the X3, but if not, the one that used to work the X3 only ever showed "X3 Sunderland" or "X3 Newcastle" on both lines.

I often used the 'other' X3, that aureolin alluded to and genuinely never noticed it when they were in use.
It was only after being mentioned on here, that I saw it on a 2a or 2c a few years back.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm #184

(04 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm)R852 PRG You've made my day. Tongue
Don't say that, your mate won't be too pleased... Wink

(04 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm)Jimmi I must have a better doctors surgery than you as mine has TV screens!
TV screens?!
Mind at least the scrolling dot matrix display at my doctors has a little Pac Man. Would pay money to see a Pac Man next time I get the 78!

(04 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm)BJ10VUS Did they ever work properly? I think this was one of the ones that worked the X3, but if not, the one that used to work the X3 only ever showed "X3 Sunderland" or "X3 Newcastle" on both lines.

I often used the 'other' X3, that aureolin alluded to and genuinely never noticed it when they were in use.
It was only after being mentioned on here, that I saw it on a 2a or 2c a few years back.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Malarkey

04 Aug 2015, 9:09 pm #185
(04 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm)Dan Divvint big ya sel up too much Malarkey - you were saying OK Expressways were on loan to Sunderland Rd when the OK1 was axed the other day, and that was far from reet..!

I have no doubt that he would, I would personally love to sit and have a conversation with citaro5284 about Buses from back when he started with GNE till now, citaro5284 you should create a thread to put all your stories in on NEB, sure it would be a massive hit and create a lot of things to talk about as well.

I was having conversation with a bloke the ward today about the Sunderland District Omnibus/Northern from back in the 80s, as he noticed I was reading Buses Magazine, we also ended up talking about Routemasters/NB4Ls in London and if the Bendy Buses were still in operation down there, and we briefly talked about Volvo and the plans for there Electric Vehicle Range after I showed him the article in this Months Magazine before I went down to theater. 

As for the OK Expressway I am still quite sure the one I photographed had been on loan to Sunderland Road for a few days mind and appeared on other Services, and also spent a few days at Washington Depot on the W5/X1, best check that over with the person you got all the Vehicle History details off for the NEB (GNE) Fleet List Mr Graham.
Malarkey
04 Aug 2015, 9:09 pm #185

(04 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm)Dan Divvint big ya sel up too much Malarkey - you were saying OK Expressways were on loan to Sunderland Rd when the OK1 was axed the other day, and that was far from reet..!

I have no doubt that he would, I would personally love to sit and have a conversation with citaro5284 about Buses from back when he started with GNE till now, citaro5284 you should create a thread to put all your stories in on NEB, sure it would be a massive hit and create a lot of things to talk about as well.

I was having conversation with a bloke the ward today about the Sunderland District Omnibus/Northern from back in the 80s, as he noticed I was reading Buses Magazine, we also ended up talking about Routemasters/NB4Ls in London and if the Bendy Buses were still in operation down there, and we briefly talked about Volvo and the plans for there Electric Vehicle Range after I showed him the article in this Months Magazine before I went down to theater. 

As for the OK Expressway I am still quite sure the one I photographed had been on loan to Sunderland Road for a few days mind and appeared on other Services, and also spent a few days at Washington Depot on the W5/X1, best check that over with the person you got all the Vehicle History details off for the NEB (GNE) Fleet List Mr Graham.

BusLoverMum

04 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm #186
(04 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm)Davie I wish I was taking photographs when some of the older services such as; X2/X3/X4/X5/X90 & X94 (That's going back a bit) used to pass Wrekenton.

Now this discussion is making me feel old.

I used to catch the X5. And the X95 and X96 when I was travelling to Sunderland for uni or work and bored of the train. (train not metro). I don't even remember the M... services to Washington because I was catching the (green Wear) 194 from Heworth (and occasionally the quieter Redby 394, though the driver was often bloody terrifying with his lead foot and there was usually someone smoking in the back seat)
BusLoverMum
04 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm #186

(04 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm)Davie I wish I was taking photographs when some of the older services such as; X2/X3/X4/X5/X90 & X94 (That's going back a bit) used to pass Wrekenton.

Now this discussion is making me feel old.

I used to catch the X5. And the X95 and X96 when I was travelling to Sunderland for uni or work and bored of the train. (train not metro). I don't even remember the M... services to Washington because I was catching the (green Wear) 194 from Heworth (and occasionally the quieter Redby 394, though the driver was often bloody terrifying with his lead foot and there was usually someone smoking in the back seat)

citaro5284

04 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm #187
(04 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm)BusLoverMum Now this discussion is making me feel old.

Oh aye the X95 and X96...
X95 to Parkside via Concord and Hastings Hill/Grindon Mill and the X96 to Seaham Harbour via Boldon.

Use to finish work at 1700 and catch the 1717 X95 from Park Lane, got into Newcastle for just after 1800...operated by MCW Metrobuses!
citaro5284
04 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm #187

(04 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm)BusLoverMum Now this discussion is making me feel old.

Oh aye the X95 and X96...
X95 to Parkside via Concord and Hastings Hill/Grindon Mill and the X96 to Seaham Harbour via Boldon.

Use to finish work at 1700 and catch the 1717 X95 from Park Lane, got into Newcastle for just after 1800...operated by MCW Metrobuses!

Adrian

04 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm #188
(04 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm)citaro5284 I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know 
That's just age catching up on you... Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm #188

(04 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm)citaro5284 I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know 
That's just age catching up on you... Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

busmanT

04 Aug 2015, 10:04 pm #189
(03 Aug 2015, 8:17 pm)Dan The new Streetlites delivered this year and the new Solos for Peterlee have the blue LED lighting (under the seats on the former, and on the edge of the seat leg on the latter). All with e-leather seats - so half way there..!

The luxurious Lazerini seating isn't used, admittedly. Perhaps Go North East could look into adding tables on commuter routes such as the Tyne Tees Xpress, when new vehicles are ordered for these routes. I guess it would be a case of toying up whether it would be worth losing the seats for?

Go North East use Esteban seats - they have a luxurious seat similar to the Lazzerini, used I think by TRANSDEV on service 36 buses. I wonder if they might try that one in the X21?
busmanT
04 Aug 2015, 10:04 pm #189

(03 Aug 2015, 8:17 pm)Dan The new Streetlites delivered this year and the new Solos for Peterlee have the blue LED lighting (under the seats on the former, and on the edge of the seat leg on the latter). All with e-leather seats - so half way there..!

The luxurious Lazerini seating isn't used, admittedly. Perhaps Go North East could look into adding tables on commuter routes such as the Tyne Tees Xpress, when new vehicles are ordered for these routes. I guess it would be a case of toying up whether it would be worth losing the seats for?

Go North East use Esteban seats - they have a luxurious seat similar to the Lazzerini, used I think by TRANSDEV on service 36 buses. I wonder if they might try that one in the X21?

BusLoverMum

04 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm #190
(04 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm)citaro5284 Oh aye the X95 and X96...

That is a while back, then! In the mid 90s it seemed to take an eternity. I liked the run through the Boldons more than the one through Concord, even though it seemed slow.

ETA, somewhat related to some of the previous discussion, I wonder if GNE have any plans to make any more of the Wear Tees express X7. Have caught it twice on a Saturday between Peterlee and Middlesbrough and both times there have been people standing all the way to Stockton. I don't know what it's like on a weekday, but if it's even remotely like a Saturday, surely it needs a bigger bus, if not a more frequent service.

In contrast, the Tyne Tees X10 seems to miss out because it doesn't stop at a place in Peterlee where you'd want to hang out and wait for it (even worse than the bus station!) Again have caught it on a Saturday and hardly anyone joined us upstairs (apart from a mostly sleeping guy who I didn't dare take a picture of).
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
04 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm #190

(04 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm)citaro5284 Oh aye the X95 and X96...

That is a while back, then! In the mid 90s it seemed to take an eternity. I liked the run through the Boldons more than the one through Concord, even though it seemed slow.

ETA, somewhat related to some of the previous discussion, I wonder if GNE have any plans to make any more of the Wear Tees express X7. Have caught it twice on a Saturday between Peterlee and Middlesbrough and both times there have been people standing all the way to Stockton. I don't know what it's like on a weekday, but if it's even remotely like a Saturday, surely it needs a bigger bus, if not a more frequent service.

In contrast, the Tyne Tees X10 seems to miss out because it doesn't stop at a place in Peterlee where you'd want to hang out and wait for it (even worse than the bus station!) Again have caught it on a Saturday and hardly anyone joined us upstairs (apart from a mostly sleeping guy who I didn't dare take a picture of).

busmanT

04 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm #191
(03 Aug 2015, 10:46 pm)G-CPTN I presume that GNE might not have had pax usage figures for Snaith (and Tyne Valley) services (though maybe NCC should have been able to provide 'expectations'?)
I cannot imagine that any operator would introduce a service without figures to support the expected demand.
There had, apparently, been a 'meeting' where said passenger had expressed her concerns which had now become reality.

My personal inconveniences are restricted to needing to walk further in Hexham (currently from the Hospital to ALDI/Tesco 'soon' to be from the new bus station at Loosing Hill) and back 'up' to the bus station - currently on Priestpopple, later Loosing Hill - which will almost certainly mean that I will no longer visit the town centre shops in Fore Street and adjacent to the bus station (fruit shop and bakers).

I have an adequate choice of buses (TEN, 685 and X84/X85) - though the timings today meant that I transferred from GNE to Stagecoach/Arriva (both ways scheduled before the GNE services). 

I don't suppose that the loss of my custom will break GNE . . .
As the piece from the Hexham Courant says, the service has been thinned out at the County Councils request as they have to cut their overall spend on secured bus services by £200,000 per annum.

What Go North East are operating will be what the County Council wanted/can afford.

It is unfortunate that the County Council has to cut its spending on bus services, but this clearly means that there will be fewer buses operating, and those that do might not run at the same times as before, especially where passenger numbers are low.
busmanT
04 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm #191

(03 Aug 2015, 10:46 pm)G-CPTN I presume that GNE might not have had pax usage figures for Snaith (and Tyne Valley) services (though maybe NCC should have been able to provide 'expectations'?)
I cannot imagine that any operator would introduce a service without figures to support the expected demand.
There had, apparently, been a 'meeting' where said passenger had expressed her concerns which had now become reality.

My personal inconveniences are restricted to needing to walk further in Hexham (currently from the Hospital to ALDI/Tesco 'soon' to be from the new bus station at Loosing Hill) and back 'up' to the bus station - currently on Priestpopple, later Loosing Hill - which will almost certainly mean that I will no longer visit the town centre shops in Fore Street and adjacent to the bus station (fruit shop and bakers).

I have an adequate choice of buses (TEN, 685 and X84/X85) - though the timings today meant that I transferred from GNE to Stagecoach/Arriva (both ways scheduled before the GNE services). 

I don't suppose that the loss of my custom will break GNE . . .
As the piece from the Hexham Courant says, the service has been thinned out at the County Councils request as they have to cut their overall spend on secured bus services by £200,000 per annum.

What Go North East are operating will be what the County Council wanted/can afford.

It is unfortunate that the County Council has to cut its spending on bus services, but this clearly means that there will be fewer buses operating, and those that do might not run at the same times as before, especially where passenger numbers are low.

04 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm #192
Only bus routes that I can remember from when I was young were; the 778 and 775 (Sunderland to Consett), 729 (think that Chester-le-Street to Stanley?) 809 (Chester-le-Street to the MetroCentre), 734 (I think that one was sort of a part of the 34/34A nowadays, if I remember correctly it was always a little minibus Metrorider little breadvan type of thing) and then the 724 as well I think (Newcastle to Bishop Auckland). Then I think I can remember a 21, 21A and a 21B...? There was also the 551 to South Shields, I think. It's possible I'm thinking about something I've seen on Flickr rather than a memory (either way it's something I remember) but the X50 (South Shields to Durham). Also got a very vivid memory of an Arriva Optare Delta on a bus to Durham from Chester-le-Street. Apologies for going off-topic but I thought I'd chip in with the 'old buses' discussion. Tongue
R852 PRG
04 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm #192

Only bus routes that I can remember from when I was young were; the 778 and 775 (Sunderland to Consett), 729 (think that Chester-le-Street to Stanley?) 809 (Chester-le-Street to the MetroCentre), 734 (I think that one was sort of a part of the 34/34A nowadays, if I remember correctly it was always a little minibus Metrorider little breadvan type of thing) and then the 724 as well I think (Newcastle to Bishop Auckland). Then I think I can remember a 21, 21A and a 21B...? There was also the 551 to South Shields, I think. It's possible I'm thinking about something I've seen on Flickr rather than a memory (either way it's something I remember) but the X50 (South Shields to Durham). Also got a very vivid memory of an Arriva Optare Delta on a bus to Durham from Chester-le-Street. Apologies for going off-topic but I thought I'd chip in with the 'old buses' discussion. Tongue

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm #193
Think someone should set up a thread for old buses and old bus routes where people can share their memories, I've got a fair few routes from when I was younger although some of my memories are slightly hazy now.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm #193

Think someone should set up a thread for old buses and old bus routes where people can share their memories, I've got a fair few routes from when I was younger although some of my memories are slightly hazy now.

BusLoverMum

04 Aug 2015, 10:26 pm #194
(04 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm)busmanT As the piece from the Hexham Courant says, the service has been thinned out at the County Councils request as they have to cut their overall spend on secured bus services by £200,000 per annum.

There might be some hope for passengers who have lost out then, because Durham quite quickly went back on its slashing of Sunday services, a few years ago. Thornley and Wheatley hill were left with no direct service to Durham via Dragonville and Gilesgate when they did that, leaving many people who worked weekend jobs at Tesco, B&Q etc with an even more expensive than usual 1 hour journey to travel the few miles to work. The Sunday 22s were reinstated within a few months.

The ease of obtaining groceries might not garner much sympathy from councillors, under the circumstances, but if it turns out that the changes mean that a lot of people have to give up jobs, claim more to cover childcare for a longer working/travelling day, take children out of pre-school/nursery (really elicits flapping from TPTB) and so on, then they'll probably have to listen.
BusLoverMum
04 Aug 2015, 10:26 pm #194

(04 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm)busmanT As the piece from the Hexham Courant says, the service has been thinned out at the County Councils request as they have to cut their overall spend on secured bus services by £200,000 per annum.

There might be some hope for passengers who have lost out then, because Durham quite quickly went back on its slashing of Sunday services, a few years ago. Thornley and Wheatley hill were left with no direct service to Durham via Dragonville and Gilesgate when they did that, leaving many people who worked weekend jobs at Tesco, B&Q etc with an even more expensive than usual 1 hour journey to travel the few miles to work. The Sunday 22s were reinstated within a few months.

The ease of obtaining groceries might not garner much sympathy from councillors, under the circumstances, but if it turns out that the changes mean that a lot of people have to give up jobs, claim more to cover childcare for a longer working/travelling day, take children out of pre-school/nursery (really elicits flapping from TPTB) and so on, then they'll probably have to listen.

S813 FVK

04 Aug 2015, 10:26 pm #195
(04 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm)R852 PRG Only bus routes that I can remember from when I was young were; the 778 and 775 (Sunderland to Consett), 729 (think that Chester-le-Street to Stanley?) 809 (Chester-le-Street to the MetroCentre), 734 (I think that one was sort of a part of the 34/34A nowadays, if I remember correctly it was always a little minibus Metrorider little breadvan type of thing) and then the 724 as well I think (Newcastle to Bishop Auckland). Then I think I can remember a 21, 21A and a 21B...? There was also the 551 to South Shields, I think. It's possible I'm thinking about something I've seen on Flickr rather than a memory (either way it's something I remember) but the X50 (South Shields to Durham). Also got a very vivid memory of an Arriva Optare Delta on a bus to Durham from Chester-le-Street. Apologies for going off-topic but I thought I'd chip in with the 'old buses' discussion. Tongue

Yeah. The 729 was the current 78 between Stanley and Sunderland. We also had the 73 between Stanley and Chester-le-Street which went via Avon Road, Hollyhill Gardens, The Font, Craghead then the current 28/28A routes to Chester-le-Street as the service was allocated a lot of Spectras.
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 10:27 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
04 Aug 2015, 10:26 pm #195

(04 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm)R852 PRG Only bus routes that I can remember from when I was young were; the 778 and 775 (Sunderland to Consett), 729 (think that Chester-le-Street to Stanley?) 809 (Chester-le-Street to the MetroCentre), 734 (I think that one was sort of a part of the 34/34A nowadays, if I remember correctly it was always a little minibus Metrorider little breadvan type of thing) and then the 724 as well I think (Newcastle to Bishop Auckland). Then I think I can remember a 21, 21A and a 21B...? There was also the 551 to South Shields, I think. It's possible I'm thinking about something I've seen on Flickr rather than a memory (either way it's something I remember) but the X50 (South Shields to Durham). Also got a very vivid memory of an Arriva Optare Delta on a bus to Durham from Chester-le-Street. Apologies for going off-topic but I thought I'd chip in with the 'old buses' discussion. Tongue

Yeah. The 729 was the current 78 between Stanley and Sunderland. We also had the 73 between Stanley and Chester-le-Street which went via Avon Road, Hollyhill Gardens, The Font, Craghead then the current 28/28A routes to Chester-le-Street as the service was allocated a lot of Spectras.

BusLoverMum

04 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm #196
(04 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm)Jimmi Think someone should set up a thread for old buses and old bus routes where people can share their memories, I've got a fair few routes from when I was younger although some of my memories are slightly hazy now.

I only moved to the NE when I  was 18, so have a whole load before then from other places.

I spent much of my childhood in Hull with blue buses and cream phone boxes!
BusLoverMum
04 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm #196

(04 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm)Jimmi Think someone should set up a thread for old buses and old bus routes where people can share their memories, I've got a fair few routes from when I was younger although some of my memories are slightly hazy now.

I only moved to the NE when I  was 18, so have a whole load before then from other places.

I spent much of my childhood in Hull with blue buses and cream phone boxes!

Davie

Banned

04 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm #197
(04 Aug 2015, 10:36 pm)Adam Seeing Marcus' post about buses from his childhood reminded me of one service of mine in particular: the 89.

It went along my front street (even closer than what the X25, or the 725/726 back in the day, did). It was a cracking service, I absolutely loved it. Usually operated by a Metrorider, it did a Gateshead - Gateshead circular, going here there and everywhere, eventually ending up in Wrekenton, continuing with a loop around the mighty homeland of Eighton Banks, finding itself back in Wrekenton before it returned to Gateshead.

It did a similar route in Eighton Banks as to what the current TB10 does (excluding the Longbank and Black Lane Estate). I have very fond memories of it. One that stands out especially is when my Mam and I bumped into one of the neighbours at Gateshead Interchange (old style interchange) and the three of us got on the 89 back home. I remember giggling away as it went over the speed bumps. Unfortunately though, the service was withdrawn in 2001. I was only 5 at the time Sad

I can't find any leaflets or that in the Bygone Era section of the forum however. If anyone does have any leaflets/timetables of the service, I would be most grateful.

Service 28 used to be the 721 too, service X25 used to be the 725/726 then 25/25A
Davie
04 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm #197

(04 Aug 2015, 10:36 pm)Adam Seeing Marcus' post about buses from his childhood reminded me of one service of mine in particular: the 89.

It went along my front street (even closer than what the X25, or the 725/726 back in the day, did). It was a cracking service, I absolutely loved it. Usually operated by a Metrorider, it did a Gateshead - Gateshead circular, going here there and everywhere, eventually ending up in Wrekenton, continuing with a loop around the mighty homeland of Eighton Banks, finding itself back in Wrekenton before it returned to Gateshead.

It did a similar route in Eighton Banks as to what the current TB10 does (excluding the Longbank and Black Lane Estate). I have very fond memories of it. One that stands out especially is when my Mam and I bumped into one of the neighbours at Gateshead Interchange (old style interchange) and the three of us got on the 89 back home. I remember giggling away as it went over the speed bumps. Unfortunately though, the service was withdrawn in 2001. I was only 5 at the time Sad

I can't find any leaflets or that in the Bygone Era section of the forum however. If anyone does have any leaflets/timetables of the service, I would be most grateful.

Service 28 used to be the 721 too, service X25 used to be the 725/726 then 25/25A

BusLoverMum

04 Aug 2015, 10:42 pm #198

I vaguely remember the 809 and the 551. (ETA 551 was South Shields to Sacriston - now remember I saw it on my trips to Washington)

There did used to be a lot more 21 routes, stopping at different places - I think the 21B might have been a Sunday bus. Going through CLS, I think they took the road behind the bus depot, so you got a good look inside - you have to crane your neck, now to see anything (though we spied a Pronto languishing in there, on Monday)

IIRC, Arriva also ran a proportion of the 21 buses. I tended to avoid them, as the buses were grotty and had to be caught in the old underground Eldon Square bus station and there were quite a few days of industrial action!

And back when I lived in Low Fell, late 90s, early noughties, the 27 went up Dryden road. I liked that bus route. The 1 also definitely did not carry on all the way to Whitley Bay - that particular change took me by surprise, as it was pretty unpredictable! I think I aught the 1 back from Newcastle more often than the 21, as the frequency of each was such that they almost alternated and the 1 had the open air stops from outside the Odeon.
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 10:46 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
04 Aug 2015, 10:42 pm #198

I vaguely remember the 809 and the 551. (ETA 551 was South Shields to Sacriston - now remember I saw it on my trips to Washington)

There did used to be a lot more 21 routes, stopping at different places - I think the 21B might have been a Sunday bus. Going through CLS, I think they took the road behind the bus depot, so you got a good look inside - you have to crane your neck, now to see anything (though we spied a Pronto languishing in there, on Monday)

IIRC, Arriva also ran a proportion of the 21 buses. I tended to avoid them, as the buses were grotty and had to be caught in the old underground Eldon Square bus station and there were quite a few days of industrial action!

And back when I lived in Low Fell, late 90s, early noughties, the 27 went up Dryden road. I liked that bus route. The 1 also definitely did not carry on all the way to Whitley Bay - that particular change took me by surprise, as it was pretty unpredictable! I think I aught the 1 back from Newcastle more often than the 21, as the frequency of each was such that they almost alternated and the 1 had the open air stops from outside the Odeon.

04 Aug 2015, 10:54 pm #199
(04 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm)Davie Service 28 used to be the 721 too, service X25 used to be the 725/726 then 25/25A

Are you sure? I recall being told it was an amalgamation of some services. 721 was Chester-le-Street - Birtley - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle according to the Bygone Era.
R852 PRG
04 Aug 2015, 10:54 pm #199

(04 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm)Davie Service 28 used to be the 721 too, service X25 used to be the 725/726 then 25/25A

Are you sure? I recall being told it was an amalgamation of some services. 721 was Chester-le-Street - Birtley - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle according to the Bygone Era.

04 Aug 2015, 11:05 pm #200
I haven't recovered from being not served by GNE since they abandoned the other side of Pelton Fell/Newfield to DCC.

739 Chester le Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Newfield - Chester le Street

740 Chester le Street - Newfield - Grange Villa - Pelton Fell - Chester le Street

When it was announced that it was becoming the 28/28A I had lengthy email discussions with the late Peter Huntley and DCC.

Funny how I went from a 4 buses per hour (peak) 2 buses per hour (off peak) to what is the 703 now.

Doubt the new housing being built at Newfield / Pelton Fell will have GNE divert a 28 once an hour.

We live in hope.

Come back General/Atkinsons!!

As for some of the old routes;

709 Stanley - Beamish - Ouston - Birtley - Low Fell - Newcastle
721 Ch le St - Barley Mow Est - Birtley - Wrekenton - Newcastle
725 Esh Winning - Langley Park - Sacriston - Plawsworth - Ch le St - Portobello - Wrekenton - Newcastle
726 Langley Park - Sacriston - Waldridge - Ch le St - Portobello - Wrekenton - Newcastle
728 Stanley - South Moor - Craghead - Ouston - Birtley - Low Fell - Newcastle
729 Stanley - South Moor - Craghead - Pelton - Chester le Street (Shaws originally)
733 Ch le St - Second Ave - Waldridge Park - Ch le St - Perkinsville - Birtley - Saltwell Park - Newcastle
734 Ch le St - Pelaw Estate - Ouston
735 Houghton - Lumley - Ch le St - Birtley - Low Fell - Newcastle
739 As above
740 As above
741 Ch le St - Pelton Fell Station Lane - Pelton
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 11:11 pm by 47406.
04 Aug 2015, 11:05 pm #200

I haven't recovered from being not served by GNE since they abandoned the other side of Pelton Fell/Newfield to DCC.

739 Chester le Street - Pelton Fell - Grange Villa - Newfield - Chester le Street

740 Chester le Street - Newfield - Grange Villa - Pelton Fell - Chester le Street

When it was announced that it was becoming the 28/28A I had lengthy email discussions with the late Peter Huntley and DCC.

Funny how I went from a 4 buses per hour (peak) 2 buses per hour (off peak) to what is the 703 now.

Doubt the new housing being built at Newfield / Pelton Fell will have GNE divert a 28 once an hour.

We live in hope.

Come back General/Atkinsons!!

As for some of the old routes;

709 Stanley - Beamish - Ouston - Birtley - Low Fell - Newcastle
721 Ch le St - Barley Mow Est - Birtley - Wrekenton - Newcastle
725 Esh Winning - Langley Park - Sacriston - Plawsworth - Ch le St - Portobello - Wrekenton - Newcastle
726 Langley Park - Sacriston - Waldridge - Ch le St - Portobello - Wrekenton - Newcastle
728 Stanley - South Moor - Craghead - Ouston - Birtley - Low Fell - Newcastle
729 Stanley - South Moor - Craghead - Pelton - Chester le Street (Shaws originally)
733 Ch le St - Second Ave - Waldridge Park - Ch le St - Perkinsville - Birtley - Saltwell Park - Newcastle
734 Ch le St - Pelaw Estate - Ouston
735 Houghton - Lumley - Ch le St - Birtley - Low Fell - Newcastle
739 As above
740 As above
741 Ch le St - Pelton Fell Station Lane - Pelton

Pages (62) Previous 19 10 1162 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average