Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (62) Previous 141 42 4362 Next
G-CPTN

18 Aug 2015, 11:08 pm #821
No - those that operate a route of no longer than 50 km (31 miles) don't need tachographs.

The drivers still have to comply with UK drivers' hours of course.

Some operators split longer routes into sections under 50 km long.

This is considered an acceptable 'fudge'.

The bus and driver continue, but the destination is changed.

Arriva run their 685 from Newcastle to Carlisle via Haydon Bridge.
G-CPTN
18 Aug 2015, 11:08 pm #821

No - those that operate a route of no longer than 50 km (31 miles) don't need tachographs.

The drivers still have to comply with UK drivers' hours of course.

Some operators split longer routes into sections under 50 km long.

This is considered an acceptable 'fudge'.

The bus and driver continue, but the destination is changed.

Arriva run their 685 from Newcastle to Carlisle via Haydon Bridge.

mb134

19 Aug 2015, 8:00 am #822
(18 Aug 2015, 9:44 pm)BusLoverMum Internally, it's very uninspiring and ordinary. When it's doing any sort of speed, there's a deep painful noise from the engine that goes right through you - it sounds strained and it rattles like hell. Defo more suited to more local routes. Would be fine on the 21 route to CLS but is awful on the A167 stretch towards Durham. Would be a good bus if the loop needed more capacity.

And I hate the external look, but I hate silver cars, too. They look bald. It's exaggerated on this by the shallow windows, somewhat.

Doesn't sound great then, I'm not a fan of the interiors of Arriva Geminis, I find everything very dull and, like you find the demonstrator, ordinary. 

If it's sounding strained now, I can't imagine what it'll be like after 5 years on the route... 
(18 Aug 2015, 9:57 pm)Jimmi Looks can be deceiving! It's not the best in terms of speed, I had another ride on it on Friday afternoon and wasn't it wasn't great, you can even tell just by riding it that it's slow. I don't think it's the ideal choice for the X21, would be fine on say a cross city/town route but I don't feel it's a perfect fit for the X21.

Although it seems slow when riding, have you ever been on it and it's been late, maybe the driver has just been driving a bit slower to avoid running early?

I can't imagine it being bang on time on every journey though, so I hope for the sake of X21 passengers,  GNE go for the E400MMC.
mb134
19 Aug 2015, 8:00 am #822

(18 Aug 2015, 9:44 pm)BusLoverMum Internally, it's very uninspiring and ordinary. When it's doing any sort of speed, there's a deep painful noise from the engine that goes right through you - it sounds strained and it rattles like hell. Defo more suited to more local routes. Would be fine on the 21 route to CLS but is awful on the A167 stretch towards Durham. Would be a good bus if the loop needed more capacity.

And I hate the external look, but I hate silver cars, too. They look bald. It's exaggerated on this by the shallow windows, somewhat.

Doesn't sound great then, I'm not a fan of the interiors of Arriva Geminis, I find everything very dull and, like you find the demonstrator, ordinary. 

If it's sounding strained now, I can't imagine what it'll be like after 5 years on the route... 
(18 Aug 2015, 9:57 pm)Jimmi Looks can be deceiving! It's not the best in terms of speed, I had another ride on it on Friday afternoon and wasn't it wasn't great, you can even tell just by riding it that it's slow. I don't think it's the ideal choice for the X21, would be fine on say a cross city/town route but I don't feel it's a perfect fit for the X21.

Although it seems slow when riding, have you ever been on it and it's been late, maybe the driver has just been driving a bit slower to avoid running early?

I can't imagine it being bang on time on every journey though, so I hope for the sake of X21 passengers,  GNE go for the E400MMC.

Jimmi

19 Aug 2015, 8:46 am #823
(19 Aug 2015, 8:00 am)mb134 Doesn't sound great then, I'm not a fan of the interiors of Arriva Geminis, I find everything very dull and, like you find the demonstrator, ordinary. 

The first time I rode it the bus left Bishop Auckland a few minutes late and it wasn't quick and continued to run late throughout the journey and trying to get up the slip road for the A1(M) with an almost full seating load didn't go well. It is possible it's just the driving style of the two drivers I've had but I don't think it's all down to the drivers for the StreetDeck. People are saying that the Enviro 400MMC demonstrator was quick although on my journey it wasn't as fast as others say it is, whether I have a different idea of fast to some of the other forum members or it was just the driving style the drivers I had when I rode it.

The Enviro 400MMC is still the better option for the X21 I feel and if they are looking to invest in the X9/X10 anytime soon I'd say it would be the better choice in terms of performance for that route to.
Jimmi
19 Aug 2015, 8:46 am #823

(19 Aug 2015, 8:00 am)mb134 Doesn't sound great then, I'm not a fan of the interiors of Arriva Geminis, I find everything very dull and, like you find the demonstrator, ordinary. 

The first time I rode it the bus left Bishop Auckland a few minutes late and it wasn't quick and continued to run late throughout the journey and trying to get up the slip road for the A1(M) with an almost full seating load didn't go well. It is possible it's just the driving style of the two drivers I've had but I don't think it's all down to the drivers for the StreetDeck. People are saying that the Enviro 400MMC demonstrator was quick although on my journey it wasn't as fast as others say it is, whether I have a different idea of fast to some of the other forum members or it was just the driving style the drivers I had when I rode it.

The Enviro 400MMC is still the better option for the X21 I feel and if they are looking to invest in the X9/X10 anytime soon I'd say it would be the better choice in terms of performance for that route to.

tyresmoke

19 Aug 2015, 9:03 am #824
I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere near being early with its performance. I'm lead to believe it's been tweaked somewhat now but it's still limited to 50mph (as are all Wright Street products) which I expect will get found out badly on the X9/X10.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
19 Aug 2015, 9:03 am #824

I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere near being early with its performance. I'm lead to believe it's been tweaked somewhat now but it's still limited to 50mph (as are all Wright Street products) which I expect will get found out badly on the X9/X10.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Aug 2015, 9:27 am #825
Looking at the early and late running over the course of an entire day gives a good representation (at least to this forum) of the StreetDeck's performance on service X21. Clearly, there are other factors that Go North East management would have to consider when evaluating suitability of a vehicle type on certain routes.

I believe that the maximum delay the StreetDeck incurred yesterday on service X21 was 6 minutes - once in Gateshead (in a queue of traffic once you come out of Gateshead Interchange), and once on the Bishop Auckland to Durham stretch. In both instances, the bus was on-time again within 30 minutes (although admittedly in the former instance this was primarily owing to layover at Newcastle). With this in mind; either Go North East has a pretty loose schedule for the X21, or the StreetDeck is capable of running on-time for most of the day..?

By what I can gather, contrary to what tyresmoke said he would have thought, early running is prevalent on the StreetDeck. Indeed, I noticed that there was quite a few instances of the StreetDeck running over 1 minute early yesterday (although drivers stopped at the nearest timing points to alleviate any additional early running). Time appears to be easily made up on the A1(M) and A167, where, despite the engine sounding strained, must provide sufficient power and speed. Alas, I doubt I'll be able to say this for the X9/X10, but time will tell when the StreetDeck eventually transfers to Riverside. The additional power on the ADL Enviro400MMC may be beneficial at peak times where delays owing to heavy traffic and passenger loadings are more likely, but it's certainly not absolutely needed.

We must keep in mind that it's difficult to compare the two demonstrator vehicles like-for-like from a passenger perspective, as the luxury provided on the ADL Enviro400MMC would win every time. Obviously we know that Esteban Civic V3 seating (ie what the StreetDeck has with headrests) is standard on Go North East's new vehicles on longer-distance services, and it's unlikely that we'd see Go North East move away from this type of seating for the X21 in my opinion, although I'd suggest that there's scope for long-distance express services to have tables in the future, depending if this feedback is given on the survey Go North East is running regarding the StreetDeck..?
Dan
19 Aug 2015, 9:27 am #825

Looking at the early and late running over the course of an entire day gives a good representation (at least to this forum) of the StreetDeck's performance on service X21. Clearly, there are other factors that Go North East management would have to consider when evaluating suitability of a vehicle type on certain routes.

I believe that the maximum delay the StreetDeck incurred yesterday on service X21 was 6 minutes - once in Gateshead (in a queue of traffic once you come out of Gateshead Interchange), and once on the Bishop Auckland to Durham stretch. In both instances, the bus was on-time again within 30 minutes (although admittedly in the former instance this was primarily owing to layover at Newcastle). With this in mind; either Go North East has a pretty loose schedule for the X21, or the StreetDeck is capable of running on-time for most of the day..?

By what I can gather, contrary to what tyresmoke said he would have thought, early running is prevalent on the StreetDeck. Indeed, I noticed that there was quite a few instances of the StreetDeck running over 1 minute early yesterday (although drivers stopped at the nearest timing points to alleviate any additional early running). Time appears to be easily made up on the A1(M) and A167, where, despite the engine sounding strained, must provide sufficient power and speed. Alas, I doubt I'll be able to say this for the X9/X10, but time will tell when the StreetDeck eventually transfers to Riverside. The additional power on the ADL Enviro400MMC may be beneficial at peak times where delays owing to heavy traffic and passenger loadings are more likely, but it's certainly not absolutely needed.

We must keep in mind that it's difficult to compare the two demonstrator vehicles like-for-like from a passenger perspective, as the luxury provided on the ADL Enviro400MMC would win every time. Obviously we know that Esteban Civic V3 seating (ie what the StreetDeck has with headrests) is standard on Go North East's new vehicles on longer-distance services, and it's unlikely that we'd see Go North East move away from this type of seating for the X21 in my opinion, although I'd suggest that there's scope for long-distance express services to have tables in the future, depending if this feedback is given on the survey Go North East is running regarding the StreetDeck..?

Andreos1

19 Aug 2015, 10:23 am #826
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0DQep-HMoNg
Video of the East Durham launch.

I counted at least 3 'members' Wink

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Aug 2015, 10:23 am #826

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0DQep-HMoNg

Malarkey

19 Aug 2015, 11:00 am #827
(19 Aug 2015, 10:23 am)Andreos1 https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0DQep-HMoNg

All having a mere 2 Seconds of Fame in the process Smile .
Malarkey
19 Aug 2015, 11:00 am #827

(19 Aug 2015, 10:23 am)Andreos1 https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0DQep-HMoNg

All having a mere 2 Seconds of Fame in the process Smile .

Andreos1

19 Aug 2015, 11:07 am #828
(19 Aug 2015, 11:00 am)Malarkey All having a mere 2 Seconds of Fame in the process Smile .
If Strictly don't knock on the door for Dan, they're missing a trick!
The people of Peterlee haven't seen moves like that since... Ever!

Andreos1
19 Aug 2015, 11:07 am #828

(19 Aug 2015, 11:00 am)Malarkey All having a mere 2 Seconds of Fame in the process Smile .
If Strictly don't knock on the door for Dan, they're missing a trick!

Malarkey

19 Aug 2015, 11:15 am #829
(19 Aug 2015, 11:07 am)Andreos1 If Strictly don't knock on the door for Dan, they're missing a trick!

Thought he was about to do the Cha-Cha Slide for a second.
Malarkey
19 Aug 2015, 11:15 am #829

(19 Aug 2015, 11:07 am)Andreos1 If Strictly don't knock on the door for Dan, they're missing a trick!

Thought he was about to do the Cha-Cha Slide for a second.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Aug 2015, 11:16 am #830

Thought you were better at stalking than that, Andreos..! I can spot five members of the forum at the very end of the clip alone!
Dan
19 Aug 2015, 11:16 am #830

Thought you were better at stalking than that, Andreos..! I can spot five members of the forum at the very end of the clip alone!

DanPicken

Banned

19 Aug 2015, 11:54 am #831

Me and Davie are in it.
DanPicken
19 Aug 2015, 11:54 am #831

Me and Davie are in it.

Jimmi

19 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm #832
Don't suppose anyone has seen new Crusader liveried 5300 today?

Think that's the right fleet number.
Jimmi
19 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm #832

Don't suppose anyone has seen new Crusader liveried 5300 today?

DanPicken

Banned

19 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm #833
(19 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm)Jimmi Don't suppose anyone has seen new Crusader liveried 5300 today?

DanPicken
19 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm #833

(19 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm)Jimmi Don't suppose anyone has seen new Crusader liveried 5300 today?

mb134

19 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm #834
(19 Aug 2015, 9:03 am)tyresmoke I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere near being early with its performance. I'm lead to believe it's been tweaked somewhat now but it's still limited to 50mph (as are all Wright Street products) which I expect will get found out badly on the X9/X10.

Why are they limited to 50mph? I can think of quite a few 60mph roads that Streetlites in the North East use, and I imagine others around the country will also be used on routes with 60mph roads, seems a bit weird, especially if time needs to be made up? 

Between Durham and Newcastle, the Streetdeck will surely be the same, and although Dan states in his post that it made the time up, I can't help but think the extra 10mph would help a lot?
mb134
19 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm #834

(19 Aug 2015, 9:03 am)tyresmoke I'd be surprised if it gets anywhere near being early with its performance. I'm lead to believe it's been tweaked somewhat now but it's still limited to 50mph (as are all Wright Street products) which I expect will get found out badly on the X9/X10.

Why are they limited to 50mph? I can think of quite a few 60mph roads that Streetlites in the North East use, and I imagine others around the country will also be used on routes with 60mph roads, seems a bit weird, especially if time needs to be made up? 

Between Durham and Newcastle, the Streetdeck will surely be the same, and although Dan states in his post that it made the time up, I can't help but think the extra 10mph would help a lot?

19 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm #835
What Diamond Citaro was being prepared for repaint at Saltmeadows on Monday?
omnicity4659
19 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm #835

What Diamond Citaro was being prepared for repaint at Saltmeadows on Monday?

19 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm #836
(19 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm)GX03 SVC What Diamond Citaro was being prepared for repaint at Saltmeadows on Monday?

I'd guess 5291 - can't recall it being noted that it had been repainted and was sent to Saltmeadows a few days ago. Apologies if it has.
R852 PRG
19 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm #836

(19 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm)GX03 SVC What Diamond Citaro was being prepared for repaint at Saltmeadows on Monday?

I'd guess 5291 - can't recall it being noted that it had been repainted and was sent to Saltmeadows a few days ago. Apologies if it has.

Diamond One

Banned

19 Aug 2015, 8:25 pm #837

(19 Aug 2015, 11:54 am)danpick Me and Davie are in it.

yes one was me dan dan davie
Diamond One
19 Aug 2015, 8:25 pm #837

(19 Aug 2015, 11:54 am)danpick Me and Davie are in it.

yes one was me dan dan davie

19 Aug 2015, 8:26 pm #838
(19 Aug 2015, 8:25 pm)Diamond One yes one was me dan dan davie

Four of you in one? Tongue
R852 PRG
19 Aug 2015, 8:26 pm #838

(19 Aug 2015, 8:25 pm)Diamond One yes one was me dan dan davie

Four of you in one? Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm #839
...and our young friend Peter, who views the forum (so I'm told!)
Dan
19 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm #839

...and our young friend Peter, who views the forum (so I'm told!)

Venturego

19 Aug 2015, 9:45 pm #840
Dan...and our young friend Peter, who views the forum (so I'm told!)

MOVING  ON !!   ..... - Grow Up !!........ Boys!   (And Dump the Anoraks......)

Please 
get back to discussing interesting topics ...or Shut Up!

GoVenturing: Get professional with corporate styling and embrace integrated transport policy for the North East - Higher Quality and Cheaper fares across the Network - GNE is NOT Working!
Edited 19 Aug 2015, 9:48 pm by Venturego.
Venturego
19 Aug 2015, 9:45 pm #840

Dan...and our young friend Peter, who views the forum (so I'm told!)

MOVING  ON !!   ..... - Grow Up !!........ Boys!   (And Dump the Anoraks......)

Please 
get back to discussing interesting topics ...or Shut Up!

GoVenturing: Get professional with corporate styling and embrace integrated transport policy for the North East - Higher Quality and Cheaper fares across the Network - GNE is NOT Working!

Pages (62) Previous 141 42 4362 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average