Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (54) Previous 112 13 1454 Next
L469 YVK

05 Sep 2015, 10:42 pm #241
(05 Sep 2015, 3:48 pm)Malarkey You wouldnt think 9108 has an 8 Litre Engine would you, honestly thought I was on a "Slightly More Powerful Streetlite" with a few less rattles, although saying that the Engine didnt even make that characteristic roar in which you would expect say from a B9TL/B10BLE, personally I would spend the "GNE New Vehicle Fund" on Quality (Citaros) over Quantity (Streetlites), in which case despite the hefty price tag I would purchase Mercedes Citaros for Heavyweight Single Deckers going forward.

Merc would be far too dear. E200MMC with Cummins 6.7 or Scania E300 with K series 9l would be the way forward.
L469 YVK
05 Sep 2015, 10:42 pm #241

(05 Sep 2015, 3:48 pm)Malarkey You wouldnt think 9108 has an 8 Litre Engine would you, honestly thought I was on a "Slightly More Powerful Streetlite" with a few less rattles, although saying that the Engine didnt even make that characteristic roar in which you would expect say from a B9TL/B10BLE, personally I would spend the "GNE New Vehicle Fund" on Quality (Citaros) over Quantity (Streetlites), in which case despite the hefty price tag I would purchase Mercedes Citaros for Heavyweight Single Deckers going forward.

Merc would be far too dear. E200MMC with Cummins 6.7 or Scania E300 with K series 9l would be the way forward.

MurdnunoC

05 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm #242
(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.

I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular section. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.
Edited 05 Sep 2015, 10:55 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
05 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm #242

(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.

I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular section. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.

BusLoverMum

05 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm #243
(05 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm)MurdnunoC I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular sections. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.

My childhood memory of atlanteans is the ghostly and rather strained whine they made as they passed, clearly without changing gear, which made it all the more eerie (as Hull is flat with lots of straight roads). It freaked me out a bit, though the rear cut out always fascinated me.
BusLoverMum
05 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm #243

(05 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm)MurdnunoC I presume it was only the Juniors who received a lecture about how Northern was now a private company as, at the time of deregulation, I also lived in Blaydon and attended infant school however I can't remember any such talk.

I used to live in the rows of terraces across the road from The Huntsman and can recall how slow the Atlanteans were climbing Blaydon Bank, especially the bit between Murray Street and Ann Street (the section of Bowland Crescent below The Huntsman). As kids, we used to race buses up that particular sections. Although I don't think any of us won the race I can remember it being quite close.

My childhood memory of atlanteans is the ghostly and rather strained whine they made as they passed, clearly without changing gear, which made it all the more eerie (as Hull is flat with lots of straight roads). It freaked me out a bit, though the rear cut out always fascinated me.

05 Sep 2015, 11:01 pm #244

I assume it must of just been Juniors who received the lecture, but I'm not sure!

I attended Blaydon West infant & juniors. I left in middle of Infants - when we moved to Sunniside where i attended Marley Hill School, but later returned to Blaydon West.

I lived in the Terraces around Mary Street and Tereasa Street, then Hole in the Wall, then Winlaton.

Wow.. that's going back a bit.

I can also remember kids hanging onto the back of the 641 - usually allocated a Leyland National - when it went up thru Birch Road and Sycamore Road... idiots! could of been killed!
thetravelman
05 Sep 2015, 11:01 pm #244

I assume it must of just been Juniors who received the lecture, but I'm not sure!

I attended Blaydon West infant & juniors. I left in middle of Infants - when we moved to Sunniside where i attended Marley Hill School, but later returned to Blaydon West.

I lived in the Terraces around Mary Street and Tereasa Street, then Hole in the Wall, then Winlaton.

I can also remember kids hanging onto the back of the 641 - usually allocated a Leyland National - when it went up thru Birch Road and Sycamore Road... idiots! could of been killed!

05 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm #245
(05 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm)BusLoverMum My childhood memory of atlanteans is the ghostly and rather strained whine they made as they passed, clearly without changing gear, which made it all the more eerie (as Hull is flat with lots of straight roads). It freaked me out a bit, though the rear cut out always fascinated me.

Yea, the Atlantean's did have that strained whine....

They always seemed fast as a kid.. as the engine was screeching along Scotwood Road !! haha! Another gear is all it needed!
thetravelman
05 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm #245

(05 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm)BusLoverMum My childhood memory of atlanteans is the ghostly and rather strained whine they made as they passed, clearly without changing gear, which made it all the more eerie (as Hull is flat with lots of straight roads). It freaked me out a bit, though the rear cut out always fascinated me.

Yea, the Atlantean's did have that strained whine....

They always seemed fast as a kid.. as the engine was screeching along Scotwood Road !! haha! Another gear is all it needed!

05 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm #246
I used to do a lot of travelling around Tyne and Wear on buses as a kid, my Nanna used to take me out on a regular basis for bus rides. Mind you Tyne and Wear child fare was only 5p and then it rose to 10p per single journey.

I used to love sitting upstairs in the front seat above the driver, as I used to pretend I was the driver..... As a kid all I wanted to be when I grew up was..... a Bus Driver! As you get older your thoughts and ideas change, and I did not become a Bus Driver.... however I still hold that passion... so you never know maybe one day!
thetravelman
05 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm #246

I used to do a lot of travelling around Tyne and Wear on buses as a kid, my Nanna used to take me out on a regular basis for bus rides. Mind you Tyne and Wear child fare was only 5p and then it rose to 10p per single journey.

I used to love sitting upstairs in the front seat above the driver, as I used to pretend I was the driver..... As a kid all I wanted to be when I grew up was..... a Bus Driver! As you get older your thoughts and ideas change, and I did not become a Bus Driver.... however I still hold that passion... so you never know maybe one day!

MurdnunoC

05 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm #247
(05 Sep 2015, 11:01 pm)thetravelman I assume it must of just been Juniors who received the lecture, but I'm not sure!

I lived in Polmaise Street, attended Blaydon West for two years, then moved to St Joesph's once the school had moved up the bank and into its new building.
MurdnunoC
05 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm #247

(05 Sep 2015, 11:01 pm)thetravelman I assume it must of just been Juniors who received the lecture, but I'm not sure!

I lived in Polmaise Street, attended Blaydon West for two years, then moved to St Joesph's once the school had moved up the bank and into its new building.

Diamond One

Banned

06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am #248
Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK
Diamond One
06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am #248

Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Sep 2015, 8:07 am #249
(06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am)Diamond One Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

While the Fleet News is undergoing reconstruction, no updates will be posted.
Dan
06 Sep 2015, 8:07 am #249

(06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am)Diamond One Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

While the Fleet News is undergoing reconstruction, no updates will be posted.

06 Sep 2015, 8:35 am #250
(06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am)Diamond One Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

When you posted that it was about 0300. It's now 0935.
omnicity4659
06 Sep 2015, 8:35 am #250

(06 Sep 2015, 2:11 am)Diamond One Am in a different time zone right now haven't a clue what time it is in the UK due to me being in a foregin country when is the fleet update getting posted I must apologise if it is late at night I am in a different country that is not in the UK

When you posted that it was about 0300. It's now 0935.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Sep 2015, 8:39 am #251
(03 Sep 2015, 6:41 pm)Dan In other news, Go North East will be operating three Metro Replacement services this Sunday.

Metro Replacement 900 (Haymarket - Four Lane Ends via Regent Centre) and Metro Replacement 901 (Haymarket - Regent Centre) are to operate between 07:15am and 19:30pm. For these services, a total of 15 vehicles will be provided by Go North East from various depots:
  • Chester-le-Street - 6 vehicles
  • Deptford - 1 vehicle
  • Riverside - 3 vehicles
  • Stanley - 3 vehicles
  • Washington - 2 vehicles
Metro Replacement 902 (Sunderland - South Hylton) is to be operated until around 11:30am. Washington Depot are to supply vehicles for this service.

A reminder of the Metro Replacement service in operation today, for those wanting photos.

"Red Arrows" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6003 (NK11 BHD) and 6049 (NK12 GDA) are the two on the 902 - think they're due to be joined by a third...
Dan
06 Sep 2015, 8:39 am #251

(03 Sep 2015, 6:41 pm)Dan In other news, Go North East will be operating three Metro Replacement services this Sunday.

Metro Replacement 900 (Haymarket - Four Lane Ends via Regent Centre) and Metro Replacement 901 (Haymarket - Regent Centre) are to operate between 07:15am and 19:30pm. For these services, a total of 15 vehicles will be provided by Go North East from various depots:
  • Chester-le-Street - 6 vehicles
  • Deptford - 1 vehicle
  • Riverside - 3 vehicles
  • Stanley - 3 vehicles
  • Washington - 2 vehicles
Metro Replacement 902 (Sunderland - South Hylton) is to be operated until around 11:30am. Washington Depot are to supply vehicles for this service.

A reminder of the Metro Replacement service in operation today, for those wanting photos.

"Red Arrows" branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6003 (NK11 BHD) and 6049 (NK12 GDA) are the two on the 902 - think they're due to be joined by a third...

Michael

06 Sep 2015, 9:11 am #252
(06 Sep 2015, 8:39 am)Dan A reminder of the Metro Replacement service in operation today, for those wanting photos.

Why didn't Deptford just run the Sunderland to South Hylton stretch would of being easier as Deptford is closer to both stations.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Sep 2015, 9:11 am #252

(06 Sep 2015, 8:39 am)Dan A reminder of the Metro Replacement service in operation today, for those wanting photos.

Why didn't Deptford just run the Sunderland to South Hylton stretch would of being easier as Deptford is closer to both stations.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Sep 2015, 9:17 am #253
(06 Sep 2015, 9:11 am)Michael Why didn't Deptford just run the Sunderland to South Hylton stretch would of being easier as Deptford is closer to both stations.

Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

The Sunderland - South Hylton one was only announced on Wednesday - and it was Friday by the time destinations were programmed. I'd imagine it would be even more time-consuming to get volunteers to work a rest day on Sunday morning.
Dan
06 Sep 2015, 9:17 am #253

(06 Sep 2015, 9:11 am)Michael Why didn't Deptford just run the Sunderland to South Hylton stretch would of being easier as Deptford is closer to both stations.

Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

The Sunderland - South Hylton one was only announced on Wednesday - and it was Friday by the time destinations were programmed. I'd imagine it would be even more time-consuming to get volunteers to work a rest day on Sunday morning.

Michael

06 Sep 2015, 9:23 am #254
(06 Sep 2015, 9:17 am)Dan Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

Bloody hell, i think its Network Rail who has to take blame for that? or is it Metro...........  Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Sep 2015, 9:23 am #254

(06 Sep 2015, 9:17 am)Dan Availability of drivers (or lack thereof), perhaps? I may be wrong, but I bet two of Washington's leading drivers or Service Delivery Managers are the ones driving the 902s.

Bloody hell, i think its Network Rail who has to take blame for that? or is it Metro...........  Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

06 Sep 2015, 9:28 am #255
(06 Sep 2015, 8:07 am)Dan While the Fleet News is undergoing reconstruction, no updates will be posted.

Is that the update you were on about the other day?, linking the news to the fleet list so it's easier updated when a bus from each depot or something?

Can't remember the full details...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Sep 2015, 9:28 am #255

(06 Sep 2015, 8:07 am)Dan While the Fleet News is undergoing reconstruction, no updates will be posted.

Is that the update you were on about the other day?, linking the news to the fleet list so it's easier updated when a bus from each depot or something?

Can't remember the full details...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

06 Sep 2015, 9:30 am #256
(05 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm)MurdnunoC I lived in Polmaise Street, attended Blaydon West for two years, then moved to St Joesph's once the school had moved up the bank and into its new building.
I used to live in Chudleigh Terrace, way back in late 40's !
Coppercap40
06 Sep 2015, 9:30 am #256

(05 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm)MurdnunoC I lived in Polmaise Street, attended Blaydon West for two years, then moved to St Joesph's once the school had moved up the bank and into its new building.
I used to live in Chudleigh Terrace, way back in late 40's !

Andreos1

06 Sep 2015, 9:31 am #257
(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman I'm old enough to remember travelling on Northern and GoAhead Northern - Leyland Atlantean's as I was growing up!
In fact I'm sure when I left school in 1992 ! and got my first job in Newcastle, a Leyland Atlantean was still a regular vehicle allocated to my route into Newcastle from Blaydon, as well as the then popular MCW Metrobus - however although all buses were/are very slow to climb Blaydon Bank and Shibdon Bank etc, the MCW Metrobus were absolutely terrible, in fact I remember being on a scholar service climbing Blaydon Bank and the bus came to a stop, the driver could not get it to move away again without slipping backwards down the bank, in the end he had to get a lot of kids off the bus, including myself and get us to walk up the hill to where the Huntsman Pub is, so that he could lighten the load enough for the bus to pull away up hill again!

The Leyland Olympian's tended to be on 648 & 649 to Gateshead. I Like these vehicles too, I remember the bi-folding entrance doors used to fly open with a bit of a bang! when the driver pressed the button to Open.

I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.
Pretty sure there was a big swap of vehicle allocations - with Winlaton getting more Olympians at the expense of the Metrobuses.
The Olympians could certainly cope with the hills better.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Sep 2015, 9:31 am #257

(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman I'm old enough to remember travelling on Northern and GoAhead Northern - Leyland Atlantean's as I was growing up!
In fact I'm sure when I left school in 1992 ! and got my first job in Newcastle, a Leyland Atlantean was still a regular vehicle allocated to my route into Newcastle from Blaydon, as well as the then popular MCW Metrobus - however although all buses were/are very slow to climb Blaydon Bank and Shibdon Bank etc, the MCW Metrobus were absolutely terrible, in fact I remember being on a scholar service climbing Blaydon Bank and the bus came to a stop, the driver could not get it to move away again without slipping backwards down the bank, in the end he had to get a lot of kids off the bus, including myself and get us to walk up the hill to where the Huntsman Pub is, so that he could lighten the load enough for the bus to pull away up hill again!

The Leyland Olympian's tended to be on 648 & 649 to Gateshead. I Like these vehicles too, I remember the bi-folding entrance doors used to fly open with a bit of a bang! when the driver pressed the button to Open.

I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.
Pretty sure there was a big swap of vehicle allocations - with Winlaton getting more Olympians at the expense of the Metrobuses.
The Olympians could certainly cope with the hills better.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

06 Sep 2015, 9:32 am #258
(06 Sep 2015, 9:23 am)Michael Bloody hell, i think its Network Rail who has to take blame for that? or is it Metro...........  Tongue

Network Rail, I believe...
omnicity4659
06 Sep 2015, 9:32 am #258

(06 Sep 2015, 9:23 am)Michael Bloody hell, i think its Network Rail who has to take blame for that? or is it Metro...........  Tongue

Network Rail, I believe...

DanPicken

Banned

06 Sep 2015, 9:40 am #259

Thought it had 902 programmed in.
DanPicken
06 Sep 2015, 9:40 am #259

Thought it had 902 programmed in.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Sep 2015, 9:43 am #260
(06 Sep 2015, 9:40 am)DanPicken Thought it had 902 programmed in.

It does - the bus you're on is showing 902 Metro Replacement (and I've got the photo as proof)..? Same goes for 6003 and 6006.

The reason why they are not showing South Hylton or Sunderland is simply because the drivers haven't bothered to scroll through the destinations - the first one in the list is a generic one and that screen should only be used in emergencies when there is not sufficient time to programme a destination and co-ordinate an upload to the vehicle.

All stations between South Hylton and Sunderland are programmed under 902.
Dan
06 Sep 2015, 9:43 am #260

(06 Sep 2015, 9:40 am)DanPicken Thought it had 902 programmed in.

It does - the bus you're on is showing 902 Metro Replacement (and I've got the photo as proof)..? Same goes for 6003 and 6006.

The reason why they are not showing South Hylton or Sunderland is simply because the drivers haven't bothered to scroll through the destinations - the first one in the list is a generic one and that screen should only be used in emergencies when there is not sufficient time to programme a destination and co-ordinate an upload to the vehicle.

All stations between South Hylton and Sunderland are programmed under 902.

Pages (54) Previous 112 13 1454 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average