Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus specification, interior and on-board features

Bus specification, interior and on-board features

Bus specification, interior and on-board features

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next
S813 FVK

04 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm #61
(04 Apr 2016, 5:24 pm)mb134 Oooh no!

I remember when I was younger, I was used to bench and coach seated Olympians on the X31. One day a, to me, 'new' Lowlander turned up, with those awful plastic Urban 90s, I remember people complaining, and wondering where the 'old' buses had gone to!

I always found bench seats more than good enough.

I like the bench seats - I noticed a couple of MPDs in Scarborough running around with them. I assumed that this meant that they are breaking the DDA regulations (unless permission has been given)?
S813 FVK
04 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm #61

(04 Apr 2016, 5:24 pm)mb134 Oooh no!

I remember when I was younger, I was used to bench and coach seated Olympians on the X31. One day a, to me, 'new' Lowlander turned up, with those awful plastic Urban 90s, I remember people complaining, and wondering where the 'old' buses had gone to!

I always found bench seats more than good enough.

I like the bench seats - I noticed a couple of MPDs in Scarborough running around with them. I assumed that this meant that they are breaking the DDA regulations (unless permission has been given)?

Kuyoyo

04 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm #62
(04 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm)S813 FVK I like the bench seats - I noticed a couple of MPDs in Scarborough running around with them. I assumed that this meant that they are breaking the DDA regulations (unless permission has been given)?

East Yorkshire's Bench Seated MPDs are 52-regs.
Kuyoyo
04 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm #62

(04 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm)S813 FVK I like the bench seats - I noticed a couple of MPDs in Scarborough running around with them. I assumed that this meant that they are breaking the DDA regulations (unless permission has been given)?

East Yorkshire's Bench Seated MPDs are 52-regs.

S813 FVK

04 Apr 2016, 5:51 pm #63
(04 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm)Kuyoyo East Yorkshire's Bench Seated MPDs are 52-regs.

Indeed they are. KXJ and KXK are the ones I spotted. Noticed Y485 VRH had bench seating, too.
Edited 04 Apr 2016, 5:51 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
04 Apr 2016, 5:51 pm #63

(04 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm)Kuyoyo East Yorkshire's Bench Seated MPDs are 52-regs.

Indeed they are. KXJ and KXK are the ones I spotted. Noticed Y485 VRH had bench seating, too.

Jimmi

04 Apr 2016, 5:57 pm #64
The Volvo Olympian's I had on that bus trip on Saturday all had bench seats and they were extremely comfortable, excluding the Northern Counties Palatine I rode were they were rather worn and made my back ache. So if they aren't worn I think they are brilliant and miss them on buses today.
Jimmi
04 Apr 2016, 5:57 pm #64

The Volvo Olympian's I had on that bus trip on Saturday all had bench seats and they were extremely comfortable, excluding the Northern Counties Palatine I rode were they were rather worn and made my back ache. So if they aren't worn I think they are brilliant and miss them on buses today.

BusLoverMum

04 Apr 2016, 6:36 pm #65
(04 Apr 2016, 5:51 pm)S813 FVK Indeed they are. KXJ and KXK are the ones I spotted. Noticed Y485 VRH had bench seating, too.

This one does, too - we got a good look inside at Beverley, last weekend. The foldy uppy seats at the front are a similar style to the Prince Bishops solars, though.
https://www.eyms.co.uk/enthusiasts/vehic...icleid=170

(04 Apr 2016, 5:51 pm)S813 FVK Indeed they are. KXJ and KXK are the ones I spotted. Noticed Y485 VRH had bench seating, too.

This one does, too - we got a good look inside at Beverley, last weekend. The foldy uppy seats at the front are a similar style to the Prince Bishops solars, though.
Edited 04 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
04 Apr 2016, 6:36 pm #65

06 Apr 2016, 9:35 am #66
I have been wondering recently why the NSA screens on GNE have been substituted with smaller screens, just I prefer the bigger screens?
NK53 TKT
06 Apr 2016, 9:35 am #66

I have been wondering recently why the NSA screens on GNE have been substituted with smaller screens, just I prefer the bigger screens?

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Apr 2016, 11:39 am #67
(06 Apr 2016, 9:35 am)NK53 TKT I have been wondering recently why the NSA screens on GNE have been substituted with smaller screens, just I prefer the bigger screens?

The LED displays look more professional than the TFT monitors previously used. There's certainly more of a corporate feel to the announcements now, with the voice of London's buses being used as opposed to a local DJ presenter.
Dan
06 Apr 2016, 11:39 am #67

(06 Apr 2016, 9:35 am)NK53 TKT I have been wondering recently why the NSA screens on GNE have been substituted with smaller screens, just I prefer the bigger screens?

The LED displays look more professional than the TFT monitors previously used. There's certainly more of a corporate feel to the announcements now, with the voice of London's buses being used as opposed to a local DJ presenter.

06 Apr 2016, 11:43 am #68
(06 Apr 2016, 11:39 am)Dan The LED displays look more professional than the TFT monitors previously used. There's certainly more of a corporate feel to the announcements now, with the voice of London's buses being used as opposed to a local DJ presenter.

Ah, that makes sense
NK53 TKT
06 Apr 2016, 11:43 am #68

(06 Apr 2016, 11:39 am)Dan The LED displays look more professional than the TFT monitors previously used. There's certainly more of a corporate feel to the announcements now, with the voice of London's buses being used as opposed to a local DJ presenter.

Ah, that makes sense

Andreos1

27 May 2016, 3:12 pm #69
Not a bad little read.

I noted the comments on rattly buses too...

http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2016...nnovation/

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 May 2016, 3:12 pm #69

Not a bad little read.

BusLoverMum

27 May 2016, 3:32 pm #70
(27 May 2016, 3:12 pm)Andreos1 Not a bad little read.

It doesn't matter how big a litter bin is if some twit is going to leave their empty bottle on the seat, regardless.

And stuff projected onto the pavement is just something I'd feel like I was going to trip over. Stop the rattles, great, but dispense with silly gimmicks.
BusLoverMum
27 May 2016, 3:32 pm #70

(27 May 2016, 3:12 pm)Andreos1 Not a bad little read.

It doesn't matter how big a litter bin is if some twit is going to leave their empty bottle on the seat, regardless.

And stuff projected onto the pavement is just something I'd feel like I was going to trip over. Stop the rattles, great, but dispense with silly gimmicks.

Jimmi

27 May 2016, 3:40 pm #71
(27 May 2016, 3:32 pm)BusLoverMum It doesn't matter how big a litter bin is if some twit is going to leave their empty bottle on the seat, regardless.

Doesn't make much difference having a bin on the bus, some of Darlington's Pulsars have some and you still get people chucking bottles and throwing litter to leave them rolling down the bus.
Edited 27 May 2016, 3:40 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
27 May 2016, 3:40 pm #71

(27 May 2016, 3:32 pm)BusLoverMum It doesn't matter how big a litter bin is if some twit is going to leave their empty bottle on the seat, regardless.

Doesn't make much difference having a bin on the bus, some of Darlington's Pulsars have some and you still get people chucking bottles and throwing litter to leave them rolling down the bus.

BusLoverMum

27 May 2016, 6:55 pm #72
(27 May 2016, 3:40 pm)Jimmi Doesn't make much difference having a bin on the bus, some of Darlington's Pulsars have some and you still get people chucking bottles and throwing litter to leave them rolling down the bus.

That's exactly what the X1 that got on my every nerve, last Saturday, was like!

They're a bloody weird lot down there.
BusLoverMum
27 May 2016, 6:55 pm #72

(27 May 2016, 3:40 pm)Jimmi Doesn't make much difference having a bin on the bus, some of Darlington's Pulsars have some and you still get people chucking bottles and throwing litter to leave them rolling down the bus.

That's exactly what the X1 that got on my every nerve, last Saturday, was like!

They're a bloody weird lot down there.

Andreos1

28 May 2016, 7:57 pm #73

Decent luggage racks (can't think of owt decent in recent years apart from the Solars) and rattle reduction technology would do me.

Andreos1
28 May 2016, 7:57 pm #73

Decent luggage racks (can't think of owt decent in recent years apart from the Solars) and rattle reduction technology would do me.

BusLoverMum

28 May 2016, 7:59 pm #74
(28 May 2016, 7:57 pm)Andreos1 Decent luggage racks (can't think of owt decent in recent years apart from the Solars) and rattle reduction technology would do me.

Solves everything Big Grin
Attached Files
.jpg
blutack.jpg
Size 29.8 KB / Downloads 12
BusLoverMum
28 May 2016, 7:59 pm #74

(28 May 2016, 7:57 pm)Andreos1 Decent luggage racks (can't think of owt decent in recent years apart from the Solars) and rattle reduction technology would do me.

Solves everything Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpg
blutack.jpg
Size 29.8 KB / Downloads 12

Adrian

29 May 2016, 10:34 am #75
I don't think buses need to have bins. People just need to be civilised, and take their litter with them. It's rare that you're going somewhere that doesn't have a bin.

New buses don't have any luggage space at all. It's as simple as that. The one tiny place for them on a Streetlite has the fire extinguisher and Metro newspaper rack there, so I'd argue you couldn't put anything there for fear of obstructing the fire extinguisher. Geminis are no better mind, with a tiny bit of storage space at the front. It's as if we were spoilt with buses like Nationals and the Olympians... you could literally store suitcase upon suitcase in them.

It's an issue that hasn't gone away, so I'm not sure why manufacturers no longer include luggage space? Passengers get frustrated (and I saw quite a bit of this in Brighton), that other passengers have bags with them, and on the seat next to them. How can you channel behaviour if you're removing the solutions?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 May 2016, 10:34 am #75

I don't think buses need to have bins. People just need to be civilised, and take their litter with them. It's rare that you're going somewhere that doesn't have a bin.

New buses don't have any luggage space at all. It's as simple as that. The one tiny place for them on a Streetlite has the fire extinguisher and Metro newspaper rack there, so I'd argue you couldn't put anything there for fear of obstructing the fire extinguisher. Geminis are no better mind, with a tiny bit of storage space at the front. It's as if we were spoilt with buses like Nationals and the Olympians... you could literally store suitcase upon suitcase in them.

It's an issue that hasn't gone away, so I'm not sure why manufacturers no longer include luggage space? Passengers get frustrated (and I saw quite a bit of this in Brighton), that other passengers have bags with them, and on the seat next to them. How can you channel behaviour if you're removing the solutions?

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2016, 10:41 am #76
(29 May 2016, 10:34 am)Adrian New buses don't have any luggage space at all. It's as simple as that. The one tiny place for them on a Streetlite has the fire extinguisher and Metro newspaper rack there, so I'd argue you couldn't put anything there for fear of obstructing the fire extinguisher. Geminis are no better mind, with a tiny bit of storage space at the front. It's as if we were spoilt with buses like Nationals and the Olympians... you could literally store suitcase upon suitcase in them.

I'd probably suggest that manufacturers would still offer the luggage space, but it's down to the operator to specify that they wanted it. See photo below of one of Lothian's "Airlink" branded Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 bodied Volvo B5TLs:

[Image: 21751940315_6af643c22b.jpg]Lothian Buses: 437 / SA15VTT by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Thinking more locally than Brighton with Go North East's Prince Bishops services... These services, especially at peak times, could benefit from double-deck vehicles, as single-decks do (and have done for a while now) get fully seated with plenty of standees at peak times. Despite this, Go North East has still opted to purchase brand new single-deck vehicles. Whether that's down to the higher cost associated with buying a double-decker or not, who knows..? It makes sense therefore to pack as many seats as possible into a single-deck, even if that means compromising leg room and storage space.

It's probably a similar story with other services too - both in and outside of the region. As in the example above, manufacturers will still allow operators to have purpose-built interiors.
Dan
29 May 2016, 10:41 am #76

(29 May 2016, 10:34 am)Adrian New buses don't have any luggage space at all. It's as simple as that. The one tiny place for them on a Streetlite has the fire extinguisher and Metro newspaper rack there, so I'd argue you couldn't put anything there for fear of obstructing the fire extinguisher. Geminis are no better mind, with a tiny bit of storage space at the front. It's as if we were spoilt with buses like Nationals and the Olympians... you could literally store suitcase upon suitcase in them.

I'd probably suggest that manufacturers would still offer the luggage space, but it's down to the operator to specify that they wanted it. See photo below of one of Lothian's "Airlink" branded Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 bodied Volvo B5TLs:

[Image: 21751940315_6af643c22b.jpg]Lothian Buses: 437 / SA15VTT by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Thinking more locally than Brighton with Go North East's Prince Bishops services... These services, especially at peak times, could benefit from double-deck vehicles, as single-decks do (and have done for a while now) get fully seated with plenty of standees at peak times. Despite this, Go North East has still opted to purchase brand new single-deck vehicles. Whether that's down to the higher cost associated with buying a double-decker or not, who knows..? It makes sense therefore to pack as many seats as possible into a single-deck, even if that means compromising leg room and storage space.

It's probably a similar story with other services too - both in and outside of the region. As in the example above, manufacturers will still allow operators to have purpose-built interiors.

Jimmi

29 May 2016, 10:48 am #77
(29 May 2016, 10:34 am)Adrian I don't think buses need to have bins. People just need to be civilised, and take their litter with them. It's rare that you're going somewhere that doesn't have a bin.

That's one thing you don't see on double deckers anymore, luggage space underneath the staircase, admittedly I can't imagine there would be much space on Arriva's low height E400's but still, would be better than that tiny bit behind the front seats which again is totally taken up by the Metro trays. The full height E400's used to have a seat under the staircase but I think it was removed from some later models because some passengers felt claustrophobic, think that is a slightly silly reason to remove a seat as not everyone who would sit there would feel like that.

Is there much difference in terms of length on the E400's as the Gemini's seem to seat about 70 passengers whereas some of the E400's can seat upto 80 seated passengers. The Sapphire 7 examples seat 76 I think but they are missing a few seats at the front upstairs which I think is to accommodate the next stop announcement screen but it also has a excellent amount of legroom between most of the seats upstairs.
Jimmi
29 May 2016, 10:48 am #77

(29 May 2016, 10:34 am)Adrian I don't think buses need to have bins. People just need to be civilised, and take their litter with them. It's rare that you're going somewhere that doesn't have a bin.

That's one thing you don't see on double deckers anymore, luggage space underneath the staircase, admittedly I can't imagine there would be much space on Arriva's low height E400's but still, would be better than that tiny bit behind the front seats which again is totally taken up by the Metro trays. The full height E400's used to have a seat under the staircase but I think it was removed from some later models because some passengers felt claustrophobic, think that is a slightly silly reason to remove a seat as not everyone who would sit there would feel like that.

Is there much difference in terms of length on the E400's as the Gemini's seem to seat about 70 passengers whereas some of the E400's can seat upto 80 seated passengers. The Sapphire 7 examples seat 76 I think but they are missing a few seats at the front upstairs which I think is to accommodate the next stop announcement screen but it also has a excellent amount of legroom between most of the seats upstairs.

Adrian

29 May 2016, 10:55 am #78
I mean more luggage space is going to equal to less seats, but if seats are being used as luggage space, then you've got that problem anyway.

The other alternative is to have what Lothian have on their deckers - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lothian_bu...251428/in/

Adrian
29 May 2016, 10:55 am #78

I mean more luggage space is going to equal to less seats, but if seats are being used as luggage space, then you've got that problem anyway.

The other alternative is to have what Lothian have on their deckers - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lothian_bu...251428/in/

Tom

29 May 2016, 11:01 am #79
(29 May 2016, 10:55 am)Adrian I mean more luggage space is going to equal to less seats, but if seats are being used as luggage space, then you've got that problem anyway.

Wasn't that an Airlink originally though and thats why it has them?
Tom
29 May 2016, 11:01 am #79

(29 May 2016, 10:55 am)Adrian I mean more luggage space is going to equal to less seats, but if seats are being used as luggage space, then you've got that problem anyway.

Wasn't that an Airlink originally though and thats why it has them?

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2016, 11:04 am #80
(29 May 2016, 11:01 am)Tom Wasn't that an Airlink originally though and thats why it has them?

Yep - it was.

Only the vehicles which have been allocated to the Airlink service have had the extra luggage space installed from new. Goes back to what I was saying before about manufacturers having the extra luggage space available, but it has to be specified rather than done by default.
Dan
29 May 2016, 11:04 am #80

(29 May 2016, 11:01 am)Tom Wasn't that an Airlink originally though and thats why it has them?

Yep - it was.

Only the vehicles which have been allocated to the Airlink service have had the extra luggage space installed from new. Goes back to what I was saying before about manufacturers having the extra luggage space available, but it has to be specified rather than done by default.

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average