Login Register
North East Buses The Canteen Competition Monthly Photo Competition
RE: Monthly Photo Competition
Hi everyone,

I haven't yet discussed this with the site's moderation/administration team, but I'd just like to pose a question to you all: What would you do to improve the Monthly Photo Competition?

An idea I personally love, it does not seem to have taken off quite well with our members. Each month has seen the same people entering, which is quite unfortunate. There is no sense of real competition when the numbers participating are of a very low standard and it must also be noted that the same people seem to be entering each time too. Now being a moderator for the site, I can also see who has voted. I don't believe I'm naming and shaming by announcing the names that have voted for this and last month's competition, but there is definitely a common trend between the two: Adam, Michael, Daniel, W179SCU and Liam.
I can understand that everyone may not want to participate because not everyone takes part in the "taking photos" side of being a bus enthusiast, but what I don't understand is why our site's community aren't all voting! At times, the forum is reaching an outstanding 10 users active within an hour, yet the highest number of votes we have received so far is 7.

I now beg for your help - what would you do to improve the monthly photo competition, what would encourage you to participate (both in entering and voting) and have you got any ideas for what the winner of the monthly competition could be?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't say I am a regular to this site, so having a new photograph every month along with a voting system will mean I won't have the opportunity to join the vote. I am probably one of the abnormal visitors of this site in the respect that I rarely visit.

My suggestion to yourself Daniel would be that the competition last over a longer period say a new photograph every 4-6 month. I know that would mean the same photograph for a longer period, but when it comes round to the vote it maybe a good idea to publicise the competition by Private Messaging. I believe you receive a email to inform you of a new message, so surely that will remind people not only about the competition but the site also. You could also promote on the Facebook page with a highlighted post / pinned post.

I am not sure whether this would suit the site, as the site is very proactive with a range of new posts daily. I however do agree with you that it is not only disappointing but also very annoying that so few members actually contribute.
(01/02/2013, 18:01)theOne Wrote: I wouldn't say I am a regular to this site, so having a new photograph every month along with a voting system will mean I won't have the opportunity to join the vote. I am probably one of the abnormal visitors of this site in the respect that I rarely visit.

My suggestion to yourself Daniel would be that the competition last over a longer period say a new photograph every 4-6 month. I know that would mean the same photograph for a longer period, but when it comes round to the vote it maybe a good idea to publicise the competition by Private Messaging. I believe you receive a email to inform you of a new message, so surely that will remind people not only about the competition but the site also. You could also promote on the Facebook page with a highlighted post / pinned post.

I am not sure whether this would suit the site, as the site is very proactive with a range of new posts daily. I however do agree with you that it is not only disappointing but also very annoying that so few members actually contribute.

Theres nothing stopping you voting, just tell me what photo you want to vote for, and I will edit it...

And 4-6 months, that would be a bit boring, only 2/3 comeptitions a year :O
Sorry to jump on this late. I think the competition is fine, and the schedule of having it monthly is fine. It'll only become more competitive when the site itself becomes busier. I think it's great that there's something already in place for others to enter though.
Forum Moderator  |  [Image: aZkGbTJ.png] Find us on facebook

[Image: 37ddf46edeb0954ca9124c465bc2006e.png]
Its good the way it is, just shame no1 else is entering pic's for me i havent got time to take pictures, i have pictures on my flickr but off last year.
Since my original post, we've increased in votes by almost double. Our entries have sometimes been better, other times, not so...

My idea for this month's topic was that it would be hopefully as broad as possible in aid of getting as much reach as possible.

More entries makes the whole thing more competitive, thereby allowing the winner to think of it as much more of an achievement! Smile
While I have been a member for a while , I have not really started posting till now, I will probably vote in polls where and when I see them, I may even start taking part myself at times.

An idea for future polls , have themed competitions i.e photos of a certain operator, a certain brand (red arrows, metrolink competition), brands off route or photos in a certain area i.e photos taken within say Sunderland or Newcastle or Durham.

Have an incentive like the monthly winner gets to pick next months theme and also have a Photo of the Year comprised of the 12 monthly winners

Just a thought
(14/04/2013, 12:27)fozzovmurton Wrote: While I have been a member for a while , I have not really started posting till now, I will probably vote in polls where and when I see them, I may even start taking part myself at times.

An idea for future polls , have themed competitions i.e photos of a certain operator, a certain brand (red arrows, metrolink competition), brands off route or photos in a certain area i.e photos taken within say Sunderland or Newcastle or Durham.

Have an incentive like the monthly winner gets to pick next months theme and also have a Photo of the Year comprised of the 12 monthly winners

Just a thought

I've noticed you're becoming a lot more active, so I should proabably take this opportunity to say hi! :p
From Day 1 of the competition we've always had a theme. Previous themes have consisted of: "Independent Operators", "Coaches", "Stagecoach UK Step Entrance Buses", "Buses by Bridges", and this month's theme of, "Buses New in 2012/2013".

The "Buses by Bridges" theme, although I was a big fan of it as it allowed for a scenic photo outside of the bus station, did not prove to be that popular. That's why, as I jointly won the competition with Matt Williamson last month, I suggested that this month's theme would be "Buses New in 2012/2013" - a theme that is so vast almost everyone should be participating! From that, you can gather that the winner does choose the next competition's theme Wink

Thanks for the suggestions though.
When is this month's competition starting? Ideally it should be ready to start on the first day of the month, with the winner being drawn on the last day. Half way through April already.
Forum Moderator  |  [Image: aZkGbTJ.png] Find us on facebook

[Image: 37ddf46edeb0954ca9124c465bc2006e.png]
(14/04/2013, 15:07)aureolin Wrote: When is this month's competition starting? Ideally it should be ready to start on the first day of the month, with the winner being drawn on the last day. Half way through April already.

It has already started. At the end of each monthly competition, the winner is announced as well as the next theme for next month's competition.
Said post for last month's competition was posted at 19:19, on 31/03/13 (see here).
Tom is giving everyone an additional week to enter this time around - he usually issues two weeks to send entries, and two weeks to vote.

So we're already doing exactly that! Wink