Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28) Previous 124 25 2628 Next
Michael

28 Dec 2015, 2:46 pm #481
(28 Dec 2015, 2:42 pm)Malarkey I used Services 2/6/10A & X1 on Boxing Day.

I waited 30 Minutes (Between 10:30 & 11) at Lambton Village Centre for the 2 which was Half Full, and supposed to be operating Every 20 Minutes, this was followed up by the X1 which was bang on time but late in leaving, was absolutely rammed. After a few photos in Newcastle of the Q3/Q3A which were rammed, I got on the 6 over to the MetroCentre which carried fresh air, following more photos and shopping I got on the 10A to Newcastle which much like the X1 was rammed, I again the on the X1 which wasnt to busy upon leaving Eldon Square, but was rammed upon leaving Gateshead, finally I got the 2 back up home and that was rammed as well.

So a bit of everything, wonder if Arriva will run buses next year, especially when the Q3/Q3A was busy on their part of the route, The 2 was running every 30 minutes between Sunderland and Washington.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2015, 2:46 pm #481

I waited 30 Minutes (Between 10:30 & 11) at Lambton Village Centre for the 2 which was Half Full, and supposed to be operating Every 20 Minutes, this was followed up by the X1 which was bang on time but late in leaving, was absolutely rammed. After a few photos in Newcastle of the Q3/Q3A which were rammed, I got on the 6 over to the MetroCentre which carried fresh air, following more photos and shopping I got on the 10A to Newcastle which much like the X1 was rammed, I again the on the X1 which wasnt to busy upon leaving Eldon Square, but was rammed upon leaving Gateshead, finally I got the 2 back up home and that was rammed as well.

So a bit of everything, wonder if Arriva will run buses next year, especially when the Q3/Q3A was busy on their part of the route, The 2 was running every 30 minutes between Sunderland and Washington.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm #482
(28 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm)Michael Was all the boxing day services busy or were some quieter than normal?

I only observed loadings on service 20 into South Shields, and didn't get the chance to see what loadings were like on other sections of the route, but both arrivals I saw were quite full. By comparison; Stagecoach allocated smaller buses than usual to their 'E' services (Enviro200s opposed to Enviro300s), which were busy but coped with the midibus capacity. It may be worth noting that the Stagecoach South Shields 1 service that I used between Chichester and South Shields had to drive past a few people as there were too many standees on-board (I was right up against the doors - and lucky to have been able to get on!)

The loadings on the 309 didn't seem too dissimilar from a normal Sunday service, though everyone seemed to be confused by the Billy Mill routing. I overheard a few passengers telling others on their phones that the service was 'going the 308 way', and the driver of the bus I used was advising those waiting at bus stops that the Arriva 308 was not operating so they'd have to use his bus if travelling to Newcastle.

The Q3/Q3A services were incredibly busy in the afternoon, and it's a good job Go North East swapped the Optare Versas for the Volvo B9s, otherwise drivers would have had to leave people behind like Stagecoach did. In the late afternoon before the match, a 15-minute frequency service was brought into play, and I bet the extra capacity was needed judging by the daytime loadings! It'll be interesting to see what Arriva do next year, as it would certainly seem like there's sufficient demand for a bus service between Newcastle City Centre and Regent Centre, as well as to places beyond Great Park.

All of the TENs I saw were quite full, but this is a recurring theme every year. The loadings on service 47 seemed to increase this year too - it was a good job double-deck vehicles were allocated, especially at peak times, as I'd imagine passengers would have had an uncomfortable journey standing had the usual Scania L94s (what Chester-le-Street have allocated in years gone by) been allocated.

The ten minute frequency on service X66 with Wright Streetlites wasn't enough. They didn't seem to be running to any sort of timetable, but a driver mentioned that they were having to run dupes on the service (which I assume was with 8328 - a bus that was originally allocated to the Q3/Q3A on the morning) so that they could lift everyone. There was a pretty long queue at one point - it snaked around right back close to the X22/X88 stand at one point circa 16:00.
Dan
28 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm #482

(28 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm)Michael Was all the boxing day services busy or were some quieter than normal?

I only observed loadings on service 20 into South Shields, and didn't get the chance to see what loadings were like on other sections of the route, but both arrivals I saw were quite full. By comparison; Stagecoach allocated smaller buses than usual to their 'E' services (Enviro200s opposed to Enviro300s), which were busy but coped with the midibus capacity. It may be worth noting that the Stagecoach South Shields 1 service that I used between Chichester and South Shields had to drive past a few people as there were too many standees on-board (I was right up against the doors - and lucky to have been able to get on!)

The loadings on the 309 didn't seem too dissimilar from a normal Sunday service, though everyone seemed to be confused by the Billy Mill routing. I overheard a few passengers telling others on their phones that the service was 'going the 308 way', and the driver of the bus I used was advising those waiting at bus stops that the Arriva 308 was not operating so they'd have to use his bus if travelling to Newcastle.

The Q3/Q3A services were incredibly busy in the afternoon, and it's a good job Go North East swapped the Optare Versas for the Volvo B9s, otherwise drivers would have had to leave people behind like Stagecoach did. In the late afternoon before the match, a 15-minute frequency service was brought into play, and I bet the extra capacity was needed judging by the daytime loadings! It'll be interesting to see what Arriva do next year, as it would certainly seem like there's sufficient demand for a bus service between Newcastle City Centre and Regent Centre, as well as to places beyond Great Park.

All of the TENs I saw were quite full, but this is a recurring theme every year. The loadings on service 47 seemed to increase this year too - it was a good job double-deck vehicles were allocated, especially at peak times, as I'd imagine passengers would have had an uncomfortable journey standing had the usual Scania L94s (what Chester-le-Street have allocated in years gone by) been allocated.

The ten minute frequency on service X66 with Wright Streetlites wasn't enough. They didn't seem to be running to any sort of timetable, but a driver mentioned that they were having to run dupes on the service (which I assume was with 8328 - a bus that was originally allocated to the Q3/Q3A on the morning) so that they could lift everyone. There was a pretty long queue at one point - it snaked around right back close to the X22/X88 stand at one point circa 16:00.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2015, 3:02 pm #483
(28 Dec 2015, 2:46 pm)Michael So a bit of everything, wonder if Arriva will run buses next year, especially when the Q3/Q3A was busy on their part of the route, The 2 was running every 30 minutes between Sunderland and Washington.

Silly Malarkey not reviewing the timetables prior to travelling!  Wink 

8326 passed the Lambton Village Community Centre on service 2 at 10:30 on the dot (spot on time). Malarkey needs to get a new watch next Christmas - or consider getting to the bus stop before the bus is due - twice this has happened now!
Dan
28 Dec 2015, 3:02 pm #483

(28 Dec 2015, 2:46 pm)Michael So a bit of everything, wonder if Arriva will run buses next year, especially when the Q3/Q3A was busy on their part of the route, The 2 was running every 30 minutes between Sunderland and Washington.

Silly Malarkey not reviewing the timetables prior to travelling!  Wink 

8326 passed the Lambton Village Community Centre on service 2 at 10:30 on the dot (spot on time). Malarkey needs to get a new watch next Christmas - or consider getting to the bus stop before the bus is due - twice this has happened now!

S813 FVK

28 Dec 2015, 3:41 pm #484
Pleased to see that they have given 6131 a new registration before the old one got any worse:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/23730055970/
S813 FVK
28 Dec 2015, 3:41 pm #484

Pleased to see that they have given 6131 a new registration before the old one got any worse:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/23730055970/

L469 YVK

28 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm #485
If the section between Durham and Bishop Auckland just ran as service 21 on Boxing Day, would GNE not consider running a special hourly X21 service between Ashington and Newcastle following the X21 route to the Red Lion then the X22 through the Hartlands to Newcastle? The journey time would only be 52 mins each way and could even be 54 mins with 6 mins turnaround at Haymarket and Ashington with 2 mins recovery time at the Red Lion in both directions. Only 2x B9s would be needed from Riverside. Certainly a possibility given how well the Q3/Q3a and the 309 have performed.
L469 YVK
28 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm #485

If the section between Durham and Bishop Auckland just ran as service 21 on Boxing Day, would GNE not consider running a special hourly X21 service between Ashington and Newcastle following the X21 route to the Red Lion then the X22 through the Hartlands to Newcastle? The journey time would only be 52 mins each way and could even be 54 mins with 6 mins turnaround at Haymarket and Ashington with 2 mins recovery time at the Red Lion in both directions. Only 2x B9s would be needed from Riverside. Certainly a possibility given how well the Q3/Q3a and the 309 have performed.

28 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm #486
(28 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm)DaveyBowyer If the section between Durham and Bishop Auckland just ran as service 21 on Boxing Day, would GNE not consider running a special hourly X21 service between Ashington and Newcastle following the X21 route to the Red Lion then the X22 through the Hartlands to Newcastle? The journey time would only be 52 mins each way and could even be 54 mins with 6 mins turnaround at Haymarket and Ashington with 2 mins recovery time at the Red Lion in both directions. Only 2x B9s would be needed from Riverside. Certainly a possibility given how well the Q3/Q3a and the 309 have performed.

Why can't it just run all year...?
omnicity4659
28 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm #486

(28 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm)DaveyBowyer If the section between Durham and Bishop Auckland just ran as service 21 on Boxing Day, would GNE not consider running a special hourly X21 service between Ashington and Newcastle following the X21 route to the Red Lion then the X22 through the Hartlands to Newcastle? The journey time would only be 52 mins each way and could even be 54 mins with 6 mins turnaround at Haymarket and Ashington with 2 mins recovery time at the Red Lion in both directions. Only 2x B9s would be needed from Riverside. Certainly a possibility given how well the Q3/Q3a and the 309 have performed.

dannygee

28 Dec 2015, 6:51 pm #487
How about running the 1 to Newcastle. Bet that could of got some good numbers especially for the match as Stagecoach were finishing at 1800.
dannygee
28 Dec 2015, 6:51 pm #487

How about running the 1 to Newcastle. Bet that could of got some good numbers especially for the match as Stagecoach were finishing at 1800.

L469 YVK

28 Dec 2015, 7:15 pm #488
(28 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm)GX03 SVC

From GNE or Arriva? Not going to go into detail on here as it's GNE's forum but basically the reason why the X21 has a detour via Ridge Terrace and Nedderton for is because if the X22 hadn't have been rerouted south of Bedlington through the Hartlands (another profitable area on the old X21 / X31 / X32 routes), then Arriva would've still been flogging a dead horse with run down (but very trustworthy) Palatines.

Although the 10 minute frequency at both Ashington and Newcastle / Gosforth ends of the X21 / X22  (and the 5/15 gaps at the Red Lion) also slightly help, the main reason for the change was to assist the less profitable section of the X22 between Ashington and Bedlington by adding a more profitable section south of Bedlington. The X21 and it's former guises have always between profitable thanks to the lucrative part of the route between Newbiggin and Bedlington particularly between Ashington and Bedlington and therefore, the X21 was rerouted through the less profitable Red House Farm / Nedderton areas to pave way allowing the X22 to become a more profitable service.
L469 YVK
28 Dec 2015, 7:15 pm #488

(28 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm)GX03 SVC

From GNE or Arriva? Not going to go into detail on here as it's GNE's forum but basically the reason why the X21 has a detour via Ridge Terrace and Nedderton for is because if the X22 hadn't have been rerouted south of Bedlington through the Hartlands (another profitable area on the old X21 / X31 / X32 routes), then Arriva would've still been flogging a dead horse with run down (but very trustworthy) Palatines.

Although the 10 minute frequency at both Ashington and Newcastle / Gosforth ends of the X21 / X22  (and the 5/15 gaps at the Red Lion) also slightly help, the main reason for the change was to assist the less profitable section of the X22 between Ashington and Bedlington by adding a more profitable section south of Bedlington. The X21 and it's former guises have always between profitable thanks to the lucrative part of the route between Newbiggin and Bedlington particularly between Ashington and Bedlington and therefore, the X21 was rerouted through the less profitable Red House Farm / Nedderton areas to pave way allowing the X22 to become a more profitable service.

DanPicken

Banned

28 Dec 2015, 7:30 pm #489

The TTX was packed because the bus 30 mins before never ran.
DanPicken
28 Dec 2015, 7:30 pm #489

The TTX was packed because the bus 30 mins before never ran.

Diamond One

Banned

28 Dec 2015, 7:38 pm #490

Was the most boring day photographing the buses it was like listening to opera nothing special just the same old everyday workings apart from a few services and the weather didn't help rain and drizzle I was tempted to see Sunderland away but then I thought na what's the point we will loose anyways
Diamond One
28 Dec 2015, 7:38 pm #490

Was the most boring day photographing the buses it was like listening to opera nothing special just the same old everyday workings apart from a few services and the weather didn't help rain and drizzle I was tempted to see Sunderland away but then I thought na what's the point we will loose anyways

28 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm #491
(28 Dec 2015, 7:15 pm)DaveyBowyer From GNE or Arriva? Not going to go into detail on here as it's GNE's forum but basically the reason why the X21 has a detour via Ridge Terrace and Nedderton for is because if the X22 hadn't have been rerouted south of Bedlington through the Hartlands (another profitable area on the old X21 / X31 / X32 routes), then Arriva would've still been flogging a dead horse with run down (but very trustworthy) Palatines.

GNE.
Having a service to Ashington from Newcastle every half an hour would be a place to start for an all year service. Ideally using high-spec vehicles to attract custom to the routes and keeping allocations of the non-WiFi vehicles to an absolute minimum.
omnicity4659
28 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm #491

(28 Dec 2015, 7:15 pm)DaveyBowyer From GNE or Arriva? Not going to go into detail on here as it's GNE's forum but basically the reason why the X21 has a detour via Ridge Terrace and Nedderton for is because if the X22 hadn't have been rerouted south of Bedlington through the Hartlands (another profitable area on the old X21 / X31 / X32 routes), then Arriva would've still been flogging a dead horse with run down (but very trustworthy) Palatines.

GNE.
Having a service to Ashington from Newcastle every half an hour would be a place to start for an all year service. Ideally using high-spec vehicles to attract custom to the routes and keeping allocations of the non-WiFi vehicles to an absolute minimum.

Jimmi

28 Dec 2015, 7:55 pm #492
(28 Dec 2015, 7:38 pm)Diamond One Was the most boring day photographing the buses it was like listening to opera nothing special just the same old everyday workings apart from a few services and the weather didn't help rain and drizzle I was tempted to see Sunderland away but then I thought na what's the point we will loose anyways

Be thankful you could go out and do some some bus spotting (or anything else) on Boxing Day, some of us were stranded due to a lack of bus services, with the only way out of town is to pay incredibly expensive taxi fares.
Edited 28 Dec 2015, 7:56 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
28 Dec 2015, 7:55 pm #492

(28 Dec 2015, 7:38 pm)Diamond One Was the most boring day photographing the buses it was like listening to opera nothing special just the same old everyday workings apart from a few services and the weather didn't help rain and drizzle I was tempted to see Sunderland away but then I thought na what's the point we will loose anyways

Be thankful you could go out and do some some bus spotting (or anything else) on Boxing Day, some of us were stranded due to a lack of bus services, with the only way out of town is to pay incredibly expensive taxi fares.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2015, 7:58 pm #493
(28 Dec 2015, 7:30 pm)DanPicken The TTX was packed because the bus 30 mins before never ran.

Not quite!

The Q3 which I believe you're referring to was taken out of service on Brunton Lane at Great Park due to a 30-minute delay. All passengers were transferred to the Q3A behind on Brunton Lane, so it did operate until this point. The return journey on the Q3A from Newcastle was covered by another bus (6045) with a different driver, as the driver on 6046 was due to take her meal break at Gateshead from when she arrived into Newcastle.

It was a shame that the two drivers did not communicate with each other: the driver had to ask me what was happening with the bus in front! The driver on the bus that was removed from service told all passengers to get on the bus behind, with no requirement to scan their pass again, but the driver on this bus wasn't informed of this, so made everyone scan their passes again.

6046 prior to being removed from service:

[Image: 24022002765_5c6a41bb46.jpg]Go North East: 6046 / NK12GCX by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
Dan
28 Dec 2015, 7:58 pm #493

(28 Dec 2015, 7:30 pm)DanPicken The TTX was packed because the bus 30 mins before never ran.

Not quite!

The Q3 which I believe you're referring to was taken out of service on Brunton Lane at Great Park due to a 30-minute delay. All passengers were transferred to the Q3A behind on Brunton Lane, so it did operate until this point. The return journey on the Q3A from Newcastle was covered by another bus (6045) with a different driver, as the driver on 6046 was due to take her meal break at Gateshead from when she arrived into Newcastle.

It was a shame that the two drivers did not communicate with each other: the driver had to ask me what was happening with the bus in front! The driver on the bus that was removed from service told all passengers to get on the bus behind, with no requirement to scan their pass again, but the driver on this bus wasn't informed of this, so made everyone scan their passes again.

6046 prior to being removed from service:

[Image: 24022002765_5c6a41bb46.jpg]Go North East: 6046 / NK12GCX by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Michael

28 Dec 2015, 10:12 pm #494
Anymore Red Arrow B9's gone to SM for repaint?

Or any other buses?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2015, 10:12 pm #494

Anymore Red Arrow B9's gone to SM for repaint?

Or any other buses?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm #495
(28 Dec 2015, 10:12 pm)Michael Anymore Red Arrow B9's gone to SM for repaint?

Or any other buses?

Michael just doesn't want me to have Christmas and New Year off..!

6003 is at Saltmeadows Rd for repaint at the moment.
Dan
28 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm #495

(28 Dec 2015, 10:12 pm)Michael Anymore Red Arrow B9's gone to SM for repaint?

Or any other buses?

Michael just doesn't want me to have Christmas and New Year off..!

Michael

28 Dec 2015, 10:58 pm #496
(28 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm)Dan Michael just doesn't want me to have Christmas and New Year off..!

Tongue, i don't.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Dec 2015, 10:58 pm #496

(28 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm)Dan Michael just doesn't want me to have Christmas and New Year off..!

Tongue, i don't.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

28 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm #497
Is 565 back at Deptford yet or is it still over at Crook/CLS?
S813 FVK
28 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm #497

Is 565 back at Deptford yet or is it still over at Crook/CLS?

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Dec 2015, 11:26 pm #498
(28 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm)S813 FVK Is 565 back at Deptford yet or is it still over at Crook/CLS?

Back at Deptford - looks like I updated the fleet list, but didn't attach a news article to it. Will have a look tomorrow.
Dan
28 Dec 2015, 11:26 pm #498

(28 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm)S813 FVK Is 565 back at Deptford yet or is it still over at Crook/CLS?

Back at Deptford - looks like I updated the fleet list, but didn't attach a news article to it. Will have a look tomorrow.

S813 FVK

28 Dec 2015, 11:28 pm #499
Ah right, thanks. It said it was based at Deptford but there was no mini article to suggest that it had gone back so i wasn't sure.
S813 FVK
28 Dec 2015, 11:28 pm #499

Ah right, thanks. It said it was based at Deptford but there was no mini article to suggest that it had gone back so i wasn't sure.

BusLoverMum

29 Dec 2015, 12:41 am #500

Was a ttx mentioned there? If ttx did run to Sunday timetable, it's only be hourly, anyhow.
BusLoverMum
29 Dec 2015, 12:41 am #500

Was a ttx mentioned there? If ttx did run to Sunday timetable, it's only be hourly, anyhow.

Pages (28) Previous 124 25 2628 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average