Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Durham Vintage Bus Gathering 2016

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering 2016

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering 2016

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3
Poll: Are you attending?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
52.17%
Votes 12
No
21.74%
Votes 5
Maybe
26.09%
Votes 6

Total 23 vote(s) 100%
Adrian

19 Jun 2016, 4:25 pm #41
I found the rally to be a bit drab, if I'm honest. I'm normally out from early doors till right to the end, but I was home with my feet up for the F1, by quarter past 1.

To start with the positives... I thought that the layout was better, splitting the static displays from those going out on shuttle service, seemed to work really well. The buses were all parked on an angle where you could get a photo of them. There was again a number of fantastic preserved buses on show, all which are a credit to their respective owners. Also credit should go to Arriva and Go North East, who again brought a selection of vehicles, with the latter allowing some to operate shuttle services.

Beyond that, there wasn't much to shout about. The list on the NEBPT website of what was attending proved to not be a lot of use, and of course there was no programme available either (someone must see this is a good way of raising funds!). It had been said that shuttles were going out at a 10 min frequency, then a 30 min frequency, and it proved to be a 15 min frequency in reality. Again, no information available, so people were standing around at both ends aimlessly. 

The buses involved in shuttle runs were parked at the top end of the car park, and it became unorganised chaos at the start of the day. Nobody seemed to be taking charge and instructing as to what should be parked where. Although it was later sorted out to an extent, it was still impossible for photos. Buses were parked facing into bushes, which seems to be a bit bizarre for a bus rally.

.jpg
parkingissues.jpg
Size 109.7 KB / Downloads 26

I'll not go over what's already been said (and I'm sure will continue) here, but it's still screaming out to me that these rallies are dying for an injection of fresh ideas to make these events bigger, and ultimately raise more funds for preservationists and all their hard work. Although I fear that until the closed circles are opened up, it won't happen.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
19 Jun 2016, 4:25 pm #41

I found the rally to be a bit drab, if I'm honest. I'm normally out from early doors till right to the end, but I was home with my feet up for the F1, by quarter past 1.

To start with the positives... I thought that the layout was better, splitting the static displays from those going out on shuttle service, seemed to work really well. The buses were all parked on an angle where you could get a photo of them. There was again a number of fantastic preserved buses on show, all which are a credit to their respective owners. Also credit should go to Arriva and Go North East, who again brought a selection of vehicles, with the latter allowing some to operate shuttle services.

Beyond that, there wasn't much to shout about. The list on the NEBPT website of what was attending proved to not be a lot of use, and of course there was no programme available either (someone must see this is a good way of raising funds!). It had been said that shuttles were going out at a 10 min frequency, then a 30 min frequency, and it proved to be a 15 min frequency in reality. Again, no information available, so people were standing around at both ends aimlessly. 

The buses involved in shuttle runs were parked at the top end of the car park, and it became unorganised chaos at the start of the day. Nobody seemed to be taking charge and instructing as to what should be parked where. Although it was later sorted out to an extent, it was still impossible for photos. Buses were parked facing into bushes, which seems to be a bit bizarre for a bus rally.

.jpg
parkingissues.jpg
Size 109.7 KB / Downloads 26

I'll not go over what's already been said (and I'm sure will continue) here, but it's still screaming out to me that these rallies are dying for an injection of fresh ideas to make these events bigger, and ultimately raise more funds for preservationists and all their hard work. Although I fear that until the closed circles are opened up, it won't happen.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Jimmi

19 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm #42
I thought the rally was a bit hit and miss really.

The set up in the way buses were parked did seem better than last year with buses being able to be photographed easily enough. They need to sort out their communications with people for these events, didn't seem to be anyone about to ask questions or anything like that and then the online communications were poor, little info on the website and the few bits of info that actually was on there was wrong, apparently there the shuttles were running a 10 minute frequency when in actual fact it was a 15 minute frequency. In regards to the 15 minute frequency, in some ways I am pleased that's what was observed as it takes roughly 10 minutes to get from Howlands to Durham City Centre so in theory you should be able to get on a bus from the City Centre to Howlands then jump on another bus back into the City Centre then wait 15 minutes for the next one back to the site.

I actually quite enjoyed myself today, I was chatting to a few people today, some I've seen a fair few times now and I met some for the first time. Also enjoyed riding the buses on the shuttles.

Here's a selection of photos from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...7276506473
More photos may be uploaded at some point.
Jimmi
19 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm #42

I thought the rally was a bit hit and miss really.

The set up in the way buses were parked did seem better than last year with buses being able to be photographed easily enough. They need to sort out their communications with people for these events, didn't seem to be anyone about to ask questions or anything like that and then the online communications were poor, little info on the website and the few bits of info that actually was on there was wrong, apparently there the shuttles were running a 10 minute frequency when in actual fact it was a 15 minute frequency. In regards to the 15 minute frequency, in some ways I am pleased that's what was observed as it takes roughly 10 minutes to get from Howlands to Durham City Centre so in theory you should be able to get on a bus from the City Centre to Howlands then jump on another bus back into the City Centre then wait 15 minutes for the next one back to the site.

I actually quite enjoyed myself today, I was chatting to a few people today, some I've seen a fair few times now and I met some for the first time. Also enjoyed riding the buses on the shuttles.

Here's a selection of photos from today: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...7276506473
More photos may be uploaded at some point.

Charles41

22 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm #43
Here's my thoughts on the rally:

Positive:

Good turnout of vehicles. Leyland National 4855 was my favourite.
Good weather.
Interesting variety of vehicles on the shuttle bus.
Visited lots of non-psv operators nearby.
Good stands got some great historic bus timetables

Negative:

Lack of a brochure and published timetable for the event.
No officials around and no publicity at North Road Durham. Wouldn't have known the event was on if i just been a casual visitor to the city.
Vehicle parking could have been better.

What made me laugh:

Cling ons from the Haymarket corner standing on the corner at the rally.

Verdict:

An OK day but organisation and planning can be improved. Will try Whitley Bay next month.

Charles
Charles41
22 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm #43

Here's my thoughts on the rally:

Positive:

Good weather.

Negative:

No officials around and no publicity at North Road Durham. Wouldn't have known the event was on if i just been a casual visitor to the city.

What made me laugh:

Verdict:

An OK day but organisation and planning can be improved. Will try Whitley Bay next month.

Charles

Jimmi

22 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm #44
(22 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm)Charles41 Here's my thoughts on the rally:

Positive:

Good weather.

Negative:

What made me laugh:

Verdict:

Charles

Me and a few people I know kept getting asked where the buses where leaving from and how often they were running whilst we were stood on North Road in Durham and the bad thing about that was we were under the impression that a 10 minute frequency was being observed as that's what it stated online, when in actual fact it was a 15 minute frequency although we were basically telling people it was 10 minutes but who knows when one will ACTUALLY appear.
Jimmi
22 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm #44

Positive:

Good weather.

Negative:

What made me laugh:

Verdict:

Charles

Me and a few people I know kept getting asked where the buses where leaving from and how often they were running whilst we were stood on North Road in Durham and the bad thing about that was we were under the impression that a 10 minute frequency was being observed as that's what it stated online, when in actual fact it was a 15 minute frequency although we were basically telling people it was 10 minutes but who knows when one will ACTUALLY appear.

22 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm #45

Positive:

Good weather.

Negative:

What made me laugh:

Verdict:

Charles

4855 or the Leyland Nationals. We had both Nationals 4708 and 4710 there along with Volvo B10BLE 4855. 4855 did one run on the shuttle but I would have done more if people had asked.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
22 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm #45

Positive:

Good weather.

Negative:

What made me laugh:

Verdict:

Charles

4855 or the Leyland Nationals. We had both Nationals 4708 and 4710 there along with Volvo B10BLE 4855. 4855 did one run on the shuttle but I would have done more if people had asked.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

Charles41

24 Jun 2016, 12:14 pm #46
(22 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm)Craig Smith 4855 or the Leyland Nationals. We had both Nationals 4708 and 4710 there along with Volvo B10BLE 4855. 4855 did one run on the shuttle but I would have done more if people had asked.

My apologies, National 4708 was my favourite vehicle on the day.

Charles
Charles41
24 Jun 2016, 12:14 pm #46

(22 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm)Craig Smith 4855 or the Leyland Nationals. We had both Nationals 4708 and 4710 there along with Volvo B10BLE 4855. 4855 did one run on the shuttle but I would have done more if people had asked.

My apologies, National 4708 was my favourite vehicle on the day.

Charles

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average