Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016

Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016

Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3
Poll: Are you attending?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
26.67%
Votes 4
No
13.33%
Votes 2
Maybe
60.00%
Votes 9

Total 15 vote(s) 100%
BusLoverMum

17 Jul 2016, 3:50 pm #41
(17 Jul 2016, 3:30 pm)Jimmi I actually arrived in North Shields earlier than anticipated this morning as the 21 arrived in Newcastle early meaning I managed to catch the 10:45 309 to Whitley Bay, got off in the town centre to photograph service 17A then you'll be pleased to hear I found a toilet in the shopping centre, I then walked to the rally stopping at a Chippy on the way.

We powdered our noses and picked up lunch in Newcastle before catching the 308. Needed a leg stretch after jumping straight off a slightly late running 22 onto the 21.
BusLoverMum
17 Jul 2016, 3:50 pm #41

(17 Jul 2016, 3:30 pm)Jimmi I actually arrived in North Shields earlier than anticipated this morning as the 21 arrived in Newcastle early meaning I managed to catch the 10:45 309 to Whitley Bay, got off in the town centre to photograph service 17A then you'll be pleased to hear I found a toilet in the shopping centre, I then walked to the rally stopping at a Chippy on the way.

We powdered our noses and picked up lunch in Newcastle before catching the 308. Needed a leg stretch after jumping straight off a slightly late running 22 onto the 21.

Adrian

17 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm #42
(17 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm)Jimmi In my opinion, it really wasn't up to much. There was somewhere between 12-15 buses in attendance with Go North East bringing four (IndiGo North Tyne, Castles Express, Red Arrows and a Tynedale Links MPD), Stanley Travel brought their Leyland Tiger/Plaxton Paramount B10STX and the rest was just the usual mix of preserved stuff. I suppose this is the issue when you attend all the North East rallies, you see the same things at each one. There was a few people walking along the front who had a quick look at the buses and the odd enthusiast about but it wasn't owt spectacular in the way of numbers.

It's not well advertised. It was put out once by the organisers on social media, and at quarter to 10 on a Friday night at that. The post received one reaction, so they'll have not boosted it either.

There were only 9 vehicles listed for attendance on the website, as oppose to 22(?) I count having attended last year. I'd not expect much more than 15, but I think that'd be a minimum you'd expect to see, otherwise the small site still looks bare.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm #42

(17 Jul 2016, 3:43 pm)Jimmi In my opinion, it really wasn't up to much. There was somewhere between 12-15 buses in attendance with Go North East bringing four (IndiGo North Tyne, Castles Express, Red Arrows and a Tynedale Links MPD), Stanley Travel brought their Leyland Tiger/Plaxton Paramount B10STX and the rest was just the usual mix of preserved stuff. I suppose this is the issue when you attend all the North East rallies, you see the same things at each one. There was a few people walking along the front who had a quick look at the buses and the odd enthusiast about but it wasn't owt spectacular in the way of numbers.

It's not well advertised. It was put out once by the organisers on social media, and at quarter to 10 on a Friday night at that. The post received one reaction, so they'll have not boosted it either.

There were only 9 vehicles listed for attendance on the website, as oppose to 22(?) I count having attended last year. I'd not expect much more than 15, but I think that'd be a minimum you'd expect to see, otherwise the small site still looks bare.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

BusLoverMum

17 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm #43
It's a shame this one is a little lacking, as it probably has the nicest site and the best potential for shuttle trips out of all the sites used, so far this year. Seaburn possibly even better for shuttle routes, but we can never get to that one to compare it.
BusLoverMum
17 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm #43

It's a shame this one is a little lacking, as it probably has the nicest site and the best potential for shuttle trips out of all the sites used, so far this year. Seaburn possibly even better for shuttle routes, but we can never get to that one to compare it.

Jimmi

17 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm #44
(17 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm)BusLoverMum It's a shame this one is a little lacking, as it probably has the nicest site and the best potential for shuttle trips out of all the sites used, so far this year. Seaburn possibly even better for shuttle routes, but we can never get to that one to compare it.

I rode one shuttle which was Leyland National YFY4M, don't know if this was the official route but I didn't enjoy it so much as the traffic just made it a slow trundle along the Promenade, bus was great though.

Seaburn was a good event last year, there was a decent selection of stuff there plus there is a few other bits such as classic cars. The shuttle route is actually pretty decent but they are all the same route.
Jimmi
17 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm #44

(17 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm)BusLoverMum It's a shame this one is a little lacking, as it probably has the nicest site and the best potential for shuttle trips out of all the sites used, so far this year. Seaburn possibly even better for shuttle routes, but we can never get to that one to compare it.

I rode one shuttle which was Leyland National YFY4M, don't know if this was the official route but I didn't enjoy it so much as the traffic just made it a slow trundle along the Promenade, bus was great though.

Seaburn was a good event last year, there was a decent selection of stuff there plus there is a few other bits such as classic cars. The shuttle route is actually pretty decent but they are all the same route.

BusLoverMum

17 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm #45
(17 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm)Jimmi I rode one shuttle which was Leyland National YFY4M, don't know if this was the official route but I didn't enjoy it so much as the traffic just made it a slow trundle along the Promenade, bus was great though.

We ended up at a classic car rally in Pickering on that weekend, last year. I was brought up going to those things pretty regularly!
BusLoverMum
17 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm #45

(17 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm)Jimmi I rode one shuttle which was Leyland National YFY4M, don't know if this was the official route but I didn't enjoy it so much as the traffic just made it a slow trundle along the Promenade, bus was great though.

We ended up at a classic car rally in Pickering on that weekend, last year. I was brought up going to those things pretty regularly!

17 Jul 2016, 7:17 pm #46
One of the people that work on the list of what goes out on shuttles lives round the corner to seaburn metro and seems to enjoy seaburn the best but thinks the route should be a bit different

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
17 Jul 2016, 7:17 pm #46

One of the people that work on the list of what goes out on shuttles lives round the corner to seaburn metro and seems to enjoy seaburn the best but thinks the route should be a bit different

Best bus ever

Tom

17 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm #47
Judging by pictures this looks like one of the worst bus rallies for a while - I can't recall it or any rally being so quiet.

So glad I didn't waste my time today!
Tom
17 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm #47

Judging by pictures this looks like one of the worst bus rallies for a while - I can't recall it or any rally being so quiet.

Jimmi

17 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm #48
(17 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm)Tom Judging by pictures this looks like one of the worst bus rallies for a while - I can't recall it or any rally being so quiet.

I couldn't even be bothered uploading photos from the rally today, instead I uploaded: IndiGo 679 on the 17A, Arriva 2816 and Phoenix NJ11EJX on the Nexus supported service 19 which is the last Sunday before GNE takeover these runs. It's bad when I'm continuing to prioritise my collection for the independent operators (didn't have a photo of that Phoenix Solo, so that pleased me).
Jimmi
17 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm #48

(17 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm)Tom Judging by pictures this looks like one of the worst bus rallies for a while - I can't recall it or any rally being so quiet.

I couldn't even be bothered uploading photos from the rally today, instead I uploaded: IndiGo 679 on the 17A, Arriva 2816 and Phoenix NJ11EJX on the Nexus supported service 19 which is the last Sunday before GNE takeover these runs. It's bad when I'm continuing to prioritise my collection for the independent operators (didn't have a photo of that Phoenix Solo, so that pleased me).

Tom

17 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm #49
(17 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm)Jimmi I couldn't even be bothered uploading photos from the rally today, instead I uploaded: IndiGo 679 on the 17A, Arriva 2816 and Phoenix NJ11EJX on the Nexus supported service 19 which is the last Sunday before GNE takeover these runs. It's bad when I'm continuing to prioritise my collection for the independent operators (didn't have a photo of that Phoenix Solo, so that pleased me).

That says something then! Some nice shots there, shame the E200 wasn't on the 19 as that has been out the last couple of times I've saw the night time 17.
Tom
17 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm #49

(17 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm)Jimmi I couldn't even be bothered uploading photos from the rally today, instead I uploaded: IndiGo 679 on the 17A, Arriva 2816 and Phoenix NJ11EJX on the Nexus supported service 19 which is the last Sunday before GNE takeover these runs. It's bad when I'm continuing to prioritise my collection for the independent operators (didn't have a photo of that Phoenix Solo, so that pleased me).

That says something then! Some nice shots there, shame the E200 wasn't on the 19 as that has been out the last couple of times I've saw the night time 17.

17 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm #50
Went this morning and one of the lowest turnouts I have seen at a rally. United Olympian wasn't there when I got there (10:50am), guess this was out on an excursion possibly. Didn't stay long due to the low turnout. Was going to go on a trip out but wanted to get back to the Tyne Valley Line to see the Flying Scotsman going along it. Hopefully Seaburn next month has a better turnout of buses and will try to get a excursion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
17 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm #50

Went this morning and one of the lowest turnouts I have seen at a rally. United Olympian wasn't there when I got there (10:50am), guess this was out on an excursion possibly. Didn't stay long due to the low turnout. Was going to go on a trip out but wanted to get back to the Tyne Valley Line to see the Flying Scotsman going along it. Hopefully Seaburn next month has a better turnout of buses and will try to get a excursion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmi

17 Jul 2016, 8:23 pm #51
(17 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm)Tom That says something then! Some nice shots there, shame the E200 wasn't on the 19 as that has been out the last couple of times I've saw the night time 17.

Thanks Tom Smile

I needed that Solo anyway, so I was pleased that was on. I should sharp get the E200's plus their other acquisitions next Monday as I'll be going round getting photos of as much of the retendered Nexus contracted services as possible, especially the ones operated by Phoenix. Will have a few rides on the services as well.
Jimmi
17 Jul 2016, 8:23 pm #51

(17 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm)Tom That says something then! Some nice shots there, shame the E200 wasn't on the 19 as that has been out the last couple of times I've saw the night time 17.

Thanks Tom Smile

I needed that Solo anyway, so I was pleased that was on. I should sharp get the E200's plus their other acquisitions next Monday as I'll be going round getting photos of as much of the retendered Nexus contracted services as possible, especially the ones operated by Phoenix. Will have a few rides on the services as well.

17 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm #52
The Rally I went to in Nottingham had around 20-25 vehicles attend. Managed trips on Turbocharged Atlantean ARC666T, ex Northern Atlantean 3299 and National Mk2 C724NRC. Although I admit it was a small rally I wasn't disappointed as it was the first time there, but I felt it wasn't a rally that I be able to do every year.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
17 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm #52

The Rally I went to in Nottingham had around 20-25 vehicles attend. Managed trips on Turbocharged Atlantean ARC666T, ex Northern Atlantean 3299 and National Mk2 C724NRC. Although I admit it was a small rally I wasn't disappointed as it was the first time there, but I felt it wasn't a rally that I be able to do every year.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average