Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Seaburn Historic Vehicle Display 2016

Seaburn Historic Vehicle Display 2016

Seaburn Historic Vehicle Display 2016

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Poll: Are you attending?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
63.16%
Votes 12
No
15.79%
Votes 3
Maybe
21.05%
Votes 4

Total 19 vote(s) 100%
Andreos1

28 Aug 2016, 4:48 pm #21
(27 Aug 2016, 8:07 am)GMitchelhill Laat GNE Atlanteans were withdrawn in 2001 / 2002.

Were they? 
Thought they had gone before then to be honest.
There must have just been a couple kicking around.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
28 Aug 2016, 4:48 pm #21

(27 Aug 2016, 8:07 am)GMitchelhill Laat GNE Atlanteans were withdrawn in 2001 / 2002.

Were they? 

28 Aug 2016, 6:34 pm #22
(28 Aug 2016, 4:48 pm)Andreos1 Were they? 

Yeah they had a pair of Alexander (3528 / 3530 IIRC) and a pair of ECW (3538 / 3540) Atlanteans. The Alexanders were withdrawn first in 2000. The ECW examples lasted until 2002 because they had extra luggage racks for DFDS services.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
28 Aug 2016, 6:34 pm #22

(28 Aug 2016, 4:48 pm)Andreos1 Were they? 

Yeah they had a pair of Alexander (3528 / 3530 IIRC) and a pair of ECW (3538 / 3540) Atlanteans. The Alexanders were withdrawn first in 2000. The ECW examples lasted until 2002 because they had extra luggage racks for DFDS services.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Andreos1

28 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm #23
(28 Aug 2016, 6:34 pm)GMitchelhill Yeah they had a pair of Alexander (3528 / 3530 IIRC) and a pair of ECW (3538 / 3540) Atlanteans. The Alexanders were withdrawn first in 2000. The ECW examples lasted until 2002 because they had extra luggage racks for DFDS services.

Honestly can't remember them being about that long.
I would have thought the Olympians were doing the DFDS stuff by that point.

Managed to find a photo of a re-acquired one kicking about in Sunderland when Park Lane was being re-developed. Again, must have missed this - otherwise I would have tried getting a go of it.
The Shaws Nationals would have been distracting me by this point!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56682873@N06/19846749690

Andreos1
28 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm #23

(28 Aug 2016, 6:34 pm)GMitchelhill Yeah they had a pair of Alexander (3528 / 3530 IIRC) and a pair of ECW (3538 / 3540) Atlanteans. The Alexanders were withdrawn first in 2000. The ECW examples lasted until 2002 because they had extra luggage racks for DFDS services.

Honestly can't remember them being about that long.
I would have thought the Olympians were doing the DFDS stuff by that point.

Managed to find a photo of a re-acquired one kicking about in Sunderland when Park Lane was being re-developed. Again, must have missed this - otherwise I would have tried getting a go of it.
The Shaws Nationals would have been distracting me by this point!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56682873@N06/19846749690

BusLoverMum

28 Aug 2016, 10:25 pm #24
Well, we've rearranged our weekend and can attend, tomorrow!
BusLoverMum
28 Aug 2016, 10:25 pm #24

Well, we've rearranged our weekend and can attend, tomorrow!

29 Aug 2016, 7:05 am #25

Yeah around 2001 / 2002 the ferry contract was quite large and had 10 buses with extended luggage racks for the service, all of the vehicles were in DFDS livery except for the Atlanteans which were in Coastline colours (with Go Coastline names) and branding for the ferry services.

The list of DFDS vehicles at that time were...
Leyland Atlantean / ECW - 3538 / 3540 (MBR438T / MBR440T)
Leyland Olympian / ECW - 3674 / 3744 (C674LJR / B744GCN)
Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 2 - 3832 / 3833 (S832OFT / S833OFT)
Dennis Trident / ELC Lolyne - 3866 / 3867 (W866PNL / W177SCU)
Dennis Trident / Plaxton President - 3890 / 3891 (NK51UCT / NK51UCU)

IIRC the Atlanteans were replaced when the Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 1s (R-LGH) came from London.

Rapidsnap
29 Aug 2016, 7:05 am #25

Yeah around 2001 / 2002 the ferry contract was quite large and had 10 buses with extended luggage racks for the service, all of the vehicles were in DFDS livery except for the Atlanteans which were in Coastline colours (with Go Coastline names) and branding for the ferry services.

The list of DFDS vehicles at that time were...
Leyland Atlantean / ECW - 3538 / 3540 (MBR438T / MBR440T)
Leyland Olympian / ECW - 3674 / 3744 (C674LJR / B744GCN)
Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 2 - 3832 / 3833 (S832OFT / S833OFT)
Dennis Trident / ELC Lolyne - 3866 / 3867 (W866PNL / W177SCU)
Dennis Trident / Plaxton President - 3890 / 3891 (NK51UCT / NK51UCU)

IIRC the Atlanteans were replaced when the Volvo Olympian / N-C Palatine 1s (R-LGH) came from London.

Andreos1

29 Aug 2016, 7:27 am #26
Just heard the roar of a National pass nearby.
Didn't get to see it unfortunately.

Unmistakable sound.

Guessing it is one off to Seaburn.
Edited 29 Aug 2016, 7:27 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
29 Aug 2016, 7:27 am #26

Just heard the roar of a National pass nearby.
Didn't get to see it unfortunately.

Unmistakable sound.

Guessing it is one off to Seaburn.

Jimmi

29 Aug 2016, 7:36 am #27
I'm already on my way to Seaburn, waiting for the 7 now which is currently 6 minutes late. Because of terrible connection times in Durham, I won't get there until 11:10 (providing I encounter no problems).
Jimmi
29 Aug 2016, 7:36 am #27

I'm already on my way to Seaburn, waiting for the 7 now which is currently 6 minutes late. Because of terrible connection times in Durham, I won't get there until 11:10 (providing I encounter no problems).

AIG20

29 Aug 2016, 12:52 pm #28
(23 Aug 2016, 1:08 pm)Kuyoyo It looks like Stockton depot have entered one.

Stockton based MAN ALX300 22016 was the only current Stagecoach vehicle that has attended the rally. It is currently parked next to Former 33101 (R101 KRG).
Edited 29 Aug 2016, 12:53 pm by AIG20.
AIG20
29 Aug 2016, 12:52 pm #28

(23 Aug 2016, 1:08 pm)Kuyoyo It looks like Stockton depot have entered one.

Stockton based MAN ALX300 22016 was the only current Stagecoach vehicle that has attended the rally. It is currently parked next to Former 33101 (R101 KRG).

Adrian

29 Aug 2016, 1:08 pm #29
What a fantastic turnout at Seaburn today. Fantastic show from preservationists and operators again, and the crowds really were out in force. The weather did not let us down either.

The park looked absolutely rammed from standing towards the North West corner, and the shuttle bus queues were literally a decker load at a time.

I only stopped a couple of hours, owing to ill health, but it was the best North East rally that I've attended so far this year.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Aug 2016, 1:08 pm #29

What a fantastic turnout at Seaburn today. Fantastic show from preservationists and operators again, and the crowds really were out in force. The weather did not let us down either.

The park looked absolutely rammed from standing towards the North West corner, and the shuttle bus queues were literally a decker load at a time.

I only stopped a couple of hours, owing to ill health, but it was the best North East rally that I've attended so far this year.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

29 Aug 2016, 1:10 pm #30
Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend Seaburn due to me being across the pond in America atm.
Hopefully it was a good event and everyone enjoyed it.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
29 Aug 2016, 1:10 pm #30

Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend Seaburn due to me being across the pond in America atm.
Hopefully it was a good event and everyone enjoyed it.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Jimmi

29 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm #31
Yeah, it's actually been a canny event today with many people out in force especially with the lovely weather we had today. Good turnout of preserved stuff with Go North East and Stagecoach on Teesside even making an appearance. It got quite busy in the afternoon with some of the shuttles having to be duplicated to meet demand (mostly in the case for single decker runs).

One criticism is, the way some of the shuttles had to return into the rally site, I rode The Eden Leopard and we went right round some housing estate and it's not exactly a small thing and of course being an old gem steering it round these estates was an issue, those of us still on after doing the shuttle were having to help the driver as we were having to reverse to get round the tight corners, then when we got back there was no marshals in sight so my mate had to open the gate for us to get back into the rally site.

For me at least, it has been has been a cracking day out today, got to see and ride some buses and got to catch up with some familiar faces. Personally some whinge about these rallies but I really think the overall experience of each rally is what you make of it, seriously get out on some of the preserved stuff and show you're support for the hard work they do and preferably give them a little something for the costs towards fuel or keeping the buses in preservation, you'll hopefully enjoy it. I'm very much looking forward to next year now, especially as I know of some more exciting new stuff we could be seeing at these events next year.
Jimmi
29 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm #31

Yeah, it's actually been a canny event today with many people out in force especially with the lovely weather we had today. Good turnout of preserved stuff with Go North East and Stagecoach on Teesside even making an appearance. It got quite busy in the afternoon with some of the shuttles having to be duplicated to meet demand (mostly in the case for single decker runs).

One criticism is, the way some of the shuttles had to return into the rally site, I rode The Eden Leopard and we went right round some housing estate and it's not exactly a small thing and of course being an old gem steering it round these estates was an issue, those of us still on after doing the shuttle were having to help the driver as we were having to reverse to get round the tight corners, then when we got back there was no marshals in sight so my mate had to open the gate for us to get back into the rally site.

For me at least, it has been has been a cracking day out today, got to see and ride some buses and got to catch up with some familiar faces. Personally some whinge about these rallies but I really think the overall experience of each rally is what you make of it, seriously get out on some of the preserved stuff and show you're support for the hard work they do and preferably give them a little something for the costs towards fuel or keeping the buses in preservation, you'll hopefully enjoy it. I'm very much looking forward to next year now, especially as I know of some more exciting new stuff we could be seeing at these events next year.

BusLoverMum

29 Aug 2016, 6:54 pm #32
After being able to shuffle around our weekend plans, we managed to go today. Definitely the best one of the year and nice to see some vehicles from further afield.

We took one ride - on the orange and blue beauty we missed out on at previous events. Bloomin' 'ot, though! My heart was racing!
BusLoverMum
29 Aug 2016, 6:54 pm #32

After being able to shuffle around our weekend plans, we managed to go today. Definitely the best one of the year and nice to see some vehicles from further afield.

We took one ride - on the orange and blue beauty we missed out on at previous events. Bloomin' 'ot, though! My heart was racing!

MrPottski

29 Aug 2016, 8:36 pm #33
Well, I attended, as I always do, and it was very well attended. Weather was spot on which definitely helped the attendance. I didn't go for a ride this year, the queues were quite big and having a young family, it wouldn't have been ideal. I do think NEBPT need more marshals, one or two on either entrance and then none in the ground itself caused a couple of safety concerns with manoeuvring buses. However, my biggest complaint (and it's only a personal one, please don't shout!) was the fact most buses were not accessible. I wanted to make a valiant attempt this year to get on board, have conversations with owners, but nearly all of them were shut up, no owners to be seen. Poor Craig Smith was constantly running around, and when he stood still he was bombarded. Now, don't get me wrong, a LOT of hard earned money has gone in to some of the buses on display, and some of the attention to detail is mind boggling, but I'd have loved to have seen some from the inside. It's a small gripe, one I will endeavour to address myself next year, but in the meantime, well done to everyone who turned up, keep doing the good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPottski
29 Aug 2016, 8:36 pm #33

Well, I attended, as I always do, and it was very well attended. Weather was spot on which definitely helped the attendance. I didn't go for a ride this year, the queues were quite big and having a young family, it wouldn't have been ideal. I do think NEBPT need more marshals, one or two on either entrance and then none in the ground itself caused a couple of safety concerns with manoeuvring buses. However, my biggest complaint (and it's only a personal one, please don't shout!) was the fact most buses were not accessible. I wanted to make a valiant attempt this year to get on board, have conversations with owners, but nearly all of them were shut up, no owners to be seen. Poor Craig Smith was constantly running around, and when he stood still he was bombarded. Now, don't get me wrong, a LOT of hard earned money has gone in to some of the buses on display, and some of the attention to detail is mind boggling, but I'd have loved to have seen some from the inside. It's a small gripe, one I will endeavour to address myself next year, but in the meantime, well done to everyone who turned up, keep doing the good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 Aug 2016, 9:52 pm #34
I arrived at Seaburn just after 10, but left around 1pm mainly due to the fact I was bored, and wasn't really in much of a sociable mood. Afterwards, I went to get some more photos of the North Park and Rides for the Tall Ships and then went to get some MetRep photos.

Rapidsnap
29 Aug 2016, 9:52 pm #34

I arrived at Seaburn just after 10, but left around 1pm mainly due to the fact I was bored, and wasn't really in much of a sociable mood. Afterwards, I went to get some more photos of the North Park and Rides for the Tall Ships and then went to get some MetRep photos.

Charles41

30 Aug 2016, 3:08 pm #35
I enjoyed the rally. I arrived just before mid day and stayed until about 3 pm. I was in two minds to go after the fiasco at the Metrocentre and the poor turn out at Whitley Bay.

Glad I made the trip. Going to see if I can make the NNRG's trip next weekend.

Charles
Charles41
30 Aug 2016, 3:08 pm #35

I enjoyed the rally. I arrived just before mid day and stayed until about 3 pm. I was in two minds to go after the fiasco at the Metrocentre and the poor turn out at Whitley Bay.

Glad I made the trip. Going to see if I can make the NNRG's trip next weekend.

Charles

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average