Login Register
North East Buses Forum The Canteen Competition Monthly Photo Competition
2016 Photo Competition
I much prefer this format I've got to admit! I think it is much better having longer periods of time for people to enter photos than a week or month etc.
Whilst interesting to see the votes allocated to each picture, I much prefer the anonymous submissions and anonymous voting system. Hence not voting myself in this competition.
I may have stated this previously, but I do feel photos submitted for a competition shouldn't be published elsewhere either.

As much as I would like to not see the cynical side of a system like this, I can't help but not...

However, well done to the winning entries.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22/10/2016, 22:52)Andreos1 Wrote: Whilst interesting to see the votes allocated to each picture, I much prefer the anonymous submissions and anonymous voting system. Hence not voting myself in this competition.
I may have stated this previously, but I do feel photos submitted for a competition shouldn't be published elsewhere either.

Anonymous entries and voting is something we've done in the past, so I decided to try it a bit differently this time round. I'm of course interested in feedback on both points there, as just because we've done it this time, it doesn't mean we have to keep it that way...

I guess we can always ask entrants to not post their photos elsewhere, but ultimately it's their photo, and up to them where they publish it. If I was entering a competition, I do not think I'd bother if I wasn't allowed to publish it elsewhere. But again, happy to take feedback on this point too?
I missed this one, but I would sure participate in one in the future!
Perhaps more catagories too? Best photo by each operator, each depot, bus, route etc. There's so many more ideas for this.
(22/10/2016, 23:17)Adrian Wrote: Anonymous entries and voting is something we've done in the past, so I decided to try it a bit differently this time round. I'm of course interested in feedback on both points there, as just because we've done it this time, it doesn't mean we have to keep it that way...

I guess we can always ask entrants to not post their photos elsewhere, but ultimately it's their photo, and up to them where they publish it. If I was entering a competition, I do not think I'd bother if I wasn't allowed to publish it elsewhere.But again, happy to take feedback on this point too?

Personally I wouldn't be too pleased if I had to submit entries that weren't allowed to be uploaded anywhere until after the competion, if I take a good photo, I like to upload it to Flickr and anywhere else pretty swiftly, I'm not likely to hold onto a good photo for anything up to six months just for the sake of a competition, also with the large amount of things like Facebook Groups and various different photo sharing websites, how would you be able to police people's entries as I could easily send a entry in which I could have posted in a Facebook Group which non of the members of this forum are on and you could be non the wiser to this.

Personally I wouldn't mind anonymous voting as if we can see everyone's votes, it could potentially sway the voting, also within less than a day I knew where pretty much every photo was placed in the rankings, so I think it would be better to have secretive voting just to keep the results a surprise until voting ends.
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HTKdt...fk4ab9rDjQ
Full of bus videos from the North East and beyond
The reason I prefer anonymous submissions, is because I feel certain people will never win. Regardless of how good or not their photo is. Previous competitions seem to add weight to this cynicism.

Obviously if their submission is published elsewhere, it doesn't take a genius to work out who owns which photo.

Please bear in mind, that is coming from someone who doesn't take transport photos and hasn't entered a competition either - so clearly isn't affected by sour grapes.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(23/10/2016, 09:22)Andreos1 Wrote: The reason I prefer anonymous submissions, is because I feel certain people will never win. Regardless of how good or not their photo is. Previous competitions seem to add weight to this cynicism.

Obviously if their submission is published elsewhere, it doesn't take a genius to work out who owns which photo.

Please bear in mind, that is coming from someone who doesn't take transport photos and hasn't entered a competition either - so clearly isn't affected by sour grapes.

I agree with you, it's obvious this happens by who won and and came in second..........
(22/10/2016, 23:52)Jackamcardle Wrote: I missed this one, but I would sure participate in one in the future!
Perhaps more catagories too? Best photo by each operator, each depot, bus, route etc. There's so many more ideas for this.

The plan would be to keep the number of categories the same, but change what the category is.

(23/10/2016, 09:48)Y935 ERG Wrote: I agree with you, it's obvious this happens by who won and and came in second..........

I think that is extremely unfair to those who took part and those who voted Dan.
(23/10/2016, 09:48)Y935 ERG Wrote: I agree with you, it's obvious this happens by who won and and came in second..........

You didn't even enter the competition. Dodgy

On a more positive note, I thought the current format worked well. Some categories I would like to see would be competitions focused around a particular company (GNE, ANE or SNE) with categories for depots, brands and vehicle types, and so on.

Just disappointed I didn't notice the tactical move made by Monsieur Harris in Category 3 which meant I came second! Tongue
Lover of Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns.

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLf5tJq...pvNU8vv1SA

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/142814434@N05/
(23/10/2016, 15:08)R852 PRG Wrote: Just disappointed I didn't notice the tactical move made by Monsieur Harris in Category 3 which meant I came second! Tongue

I'd like to point out I did not vote tactfully; I voted for the photo which I thought was best.