Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus Services Bill

Bus Services Bill

Bus Services Bill

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (10) Previous 15 6 710 Next
Tamesider

13 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm #101
Andy Burnham and other Elected Mayors/Leaders have met in Leeds today. Top of the agenda as far as Gtr. M'cr is concerned is that Andy Burnham has effectively said that Buses WILL be reformed under options in the Bus Services Act, As soon as possible! However, he has NOT committed to Franchising and after all the evidence is gathered, proposals will go out to public consultation next Summer/Autumn. First and Stagecoach have wasted no time in responding; they've announced further inflation busing fare rises from 2nd January. This will be the second increase in 9 months as far as Stagecoach are concerned and means the most vulnerable passengers (part time workers; shoppers and regular visitors to Health Centres will have seen fares increase well over 10% since this time last year.
Tamesider
13 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm #101

Andy Burnham and other Elected Mayors/Leaders have met in Leeds today. Top of the agenda as far as Gtr. M'cr is concerned is that Andy Burnham has effectively said that Buses WILL be reformed under options in the Bus Services Act, As soon as possible! However, he has NOT committed to Franchising and after all the evidence is gathered, proposals will go out to public consultation next Summer/Autumn. First and Stagecoach have wasted no time in responding; they've announced further inflation busing fare rises from 2nd January. This will be the second increase in 9 months as far as Stagecoach are concerned and means the most vulnerable passengers (part time workers; shoppers and regular visitors to Health Centres will have seen fares increase well over 10% since this time last year.

Andreos1

16 Dec 2017, 1:27 pm #102
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017...s-grayling

Seemingly at odds with what the DfT have proposed with the Buses Bill, Grayling is suggesting an 'uber' type service in the future.

Wonder if the same logic applies to his fancy plans for the ECML?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Dec 2017, 1:27 pm #102

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017...s-grayling

Seemingly at odds with what the DfT have proposed with the Buses Bill, Grayling is suggesting an 'uber' type service in the future.

Wonder if the same logic applies to his fancy plans for the ECML?

Andreos1

16 Feb 2018, 9:42 am #103
Interesting feature for the last half hour on Radio Newcastle regarding buses, bus use and mileage.

Caller on now from South Hetton discussing her difficulties beyond 5pm. She provided examples of going to Peterlee via Sunderland on a Sunday and the difficulties in keeping up traditons in getting to/from Newbottle for dancing. Something that was possible until fairly recently.

I think the quote used initially, was that mileage levels are at similar levels seen in 1986.

Andreos1
16 Feb 2018, 9:42 am #103

Interesting feature for the last half hour on Radio Newcastle regarding buses, bus use and mileage.

Caller on now from South Hetton discussing her difficulties beyond 5pm. She provided examples of going to Peterlee via Sunderland on a Sunday and the difficulties in keeping up traditons in getting to/from Newbottle for dancing. Something that was possible until fairly recently.

I think the quote used initially, was that mileage levels are at similar levels seen in 1986.

tyresmoke

16 Feb 2018, 6:48 pm #104
(16 Feb 2018, 9:42 am)Andreos1 Interesting feature for the last half hour on Radio Newcastle regarding buses, bus use and mileage.

I had a reporter from BBC Tees out with me on the X8 this morning - we did a return trip from Middlesbrough to Stillington and back, and the comments from our passengers were great. It showed the problem with running services quite well as there was nobody on the outbound trip but obviously coming back from Stillington, with a full load by Stockton! All good publicity for us though!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
16 Feb 2018, 6:48 pm #104

(16 Feb 2018, 9:42 am)Andreos1 Interesting feature for the last half hour on Radio Newcastle regarding buses, bus use and mileage.

I had a reporter from BBC Tees out with me on the X8 this morning - we did a return trip from Middlesbrough to Stillington and back, and the comments from our passengers were great. It showed the problem with running services quite well as there was nobody on the outbound trip but obviously coming back from Stillington, with a full load by Stockton! All good publicity for us though!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Tamesider

17 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm #105

It was "28 years ago" so 1989/90, but that would be broadly similar to AFTER 26th October 1986, I suppose. I think there are two trends bearing in mind the situation in the North West (cited as seeing the biggest drop, recently) and that is that the rate of reduction in both mileage and patronage is increasing, and that what was once just a "rural" problem, is hitting more and more suburban areas.
Tamesider
17 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm #105

It was "28 years ago" so 1989/90, but that would be broadly similar to AFTER 26th October 1986, I suppose. I think there are two trends bearing in mind the situation in the North West (cited as seeing the biggest drop, recently) and that is that the rate of reduction in both mileage and patronage is increasing, and that what was once just a "rural" problem, is hitting more and more suburban areas.

Andreos1

28 Feb 2018, 5:03 pm #106
(17 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm)Tamesider It was "28 years ago" so 1989/90, but that would be broadly similar to AFTER 26th October 1986, I suppose. I think there are two trends bearing in mind the situation in the North West (cited as seeing the biggest drop, recently) and that is that the rate of reduction in both mileage and patronage is increasing, and that what was once just a "rural" problem, is hitting more and more suburban areas.

BBC Cambs asked the question about what would get listeners using the bus. An interesting listen for those stuck in traffic on their way home tonight! But what would passengers know Rolleyes
https://twitter.com/BusUsersUK/status/96...4365441026

In response to the bit in bold. Consolidation seems to be the watchword up here.
Routes merged, some areas left without a direct links/key areas such as hospitals left without a service beyond mid-afternoon and fleet dispositions getting smaller as older vehicles aren't always replaced by new.

In my opinion, there's only so many cutbacks that can be made, before the whole thing breaks.
Edited 28 Feb 2018, 5:04 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
28 Feb 2018, 5:03 pm #106

(17 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm)Tamesider It was "28 years ago" so 1989/90, but that would be broadly similar to AFTER 26th October 1986, I suppose. I think there are two trends bearing in mind the situation in the North West (cited as seeing the biggest drop, recently) and that is that the rate of reduction in both mileage and patronage is increasing, and that what was once just a "rural" problem, is hitting more and more suburban areas.

BBC Cambs asked the question about what would get listeners using the bus. An interesting listen for those stuck in traffic on their way home tonight! But what would passengers know Rolleyes

In response to the bit in bold. Consolidation seems to be the watchword up here.
Routes merged, some areas left without a direct links/key areas such as hospitals left without a service beyond mid-afternoon and fleet dispositions getting smaller as older vehicles aren't always replaced by new.

In my opinion, there's only so many cutbacks that can be made, before the whole thing breaks.

Tamesider

02 Mar 2018, 9:47 pm #107
(28 Feb 2018, 5:03 pm)Andreos1 BBC Cambs asked the question about what would get listeners using the bus. An interesting listen for those stuck in traffic on their way home tonight! But what would passengers know Rolleyes

Unfortunately, I'm not on Twitter, so can only access the basic "headline" message. However, what jumps out - apart from a media station taking an interest, per se and OTOH, BUUK being pro-active (Their profile in Gtr Manchester is non-existant) - is the words *Back* on the bus. I'm guessing the main thrust of the interview was rural Cambridgeshire rather the the suburbs of Cambridge, Peterborough, Huntingdon etc. In GM (and same goes for many other large conurbations) there are over 350,000 households without access to private transport, thus the more pertinent question would be "what would encourage you to *stay* on the bus", rather than using alternatives - especially acquiring a car?
Tamesider
02 Mar 2018, 9:47 pm #107

(28 Feb 2018, 5:03 pm)Andreos1 BBC Cambs asked the question about what would get listeners using the bus. An interesting listen for those stuck in traffic on their way home tonight! But what would passengers know Rolleyes

Unfortunately, I'm not on Twitter, so can only access the basic "headline" message. However, what jumps out - apart from a media station taking an interest, per se and OTOH, BUUK being pro-active (Their profile in Gtr Manchester is non-existant) - is the words *Back* on the bus. I'm guessing the main thrust of the interview was rural Cambridgeshire rather the the suburbs of Cambridge, Peterborough, Huntingdon etc. In GM (and same goes for many other large conurbations) there are over 350,000 households without access to private transport, thus the more pertinent question would be "what would encourage you to *stay* on the bus", rather than using alternatives - especially acquiring a car?

Andreos1

02 Mar 2018, 10:06 pm #108
(02 Mar 2018, 9:47 pm)Tamesider Unfortunately, I'm not on Twitter, so can only access the basic "headline" message. However, what jumps out - apart from a media station taking an interest, per se and OTOH, BUUK being pro-active (Their profile in Gtr Manchester is non-existant) - is the words *Back* on the bus. I'm guessing the main thrust of the interview was rural Cambridgeshire rather the the suburbs of Cambridge, Peterborough, Huntingdon etc. In GM (and same goes for many other large conurbations) there are over 350,000 households without access to private transport, thus the more pertinent question would be "what would encourage you to *stay* on the bus", rather than using alternatives - especially acquiring a car?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xr0ny

There you go Wink

Andreos1
02 Mar 2018, 10:06 pm #108

(02 Mar 2018, 9:47 pm)Tamesider Unfortunately, I'm not on Twitter, so can only access the basic "headline" message. However, what jumps out - apart from a media station taking an interest, per se and OTOH, BUUK being pro-active (Their profile in Gtr Manchester is non-existant) - is the words *Back* on the bus. I'm guessing the main thrust of the interview was rural Cambridgeshire rather the the suburbs of Cambridge, Peterborough, Huntingdon etc. In GM (and same goes for many other large conurbations) there are over 350,000 households without access to private transport, thus the more pertinent question would be "what would encourage you to *stay* on the bus", rather than using alternatives - especially acquiring a car?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xr0ny

There you go Wink

Andreos1

14 Jun 2018, 11:20 am #109
Can public transport be profitable?
https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/t...itable?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Andreos1
14 Jun 2018, 11:20 am #109

Can public transport be profitable?
https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/t...itable?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Andreos1

30 Jun 2018, 8:19 pm #110
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...ssion=true

Changes ahead within Tees Valley?

Andreos1
30 Jun 2018, 8:19 pm #110

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...ssion=true

RobinHood

01 Jul 2018, 3:23 pm #111
(30 Jun 2018, 8:19 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...ssion=true

The mayor has said previously that he doesn't want to regulate bus services in the Tees Valley, but is happy to fund the fact finding project to prove his position - as he believes that the current network is fine, with a few tweaks to improve access in outlying areas. That's all this is.
RobinHood
01 Jul 2018, 3:23 pm #111

(30 Jun 2018, 8:19 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...ssion=true

The mayor has said previously that he doesn't want to regulate bus services in the Tees Valley, but is happy to fund the fact finding project to prove his position - as he believes that the current network is fine, with a few tweaks to improve access in outlying areas. That's all this is.

Andreos1

01 Jul 2018, 3:57 pm #112
(01 Jul 2018, 3:23 pm)RobinHood The mayor has said previously that he doesn't want to regulate bus services in the Tees Valley, but is happy to fund the fact finding project to prove his position - as he believes that the current network is fine, with a few tweaks to improve access in outlying areas. That's all this is.

A potentially expensive gamble if he is proven otherwise.

Andreos1
01 Jul 2018, 3:57 pm #112

(01 Jul 2018, 3:23 pm)RobinHood The mayor has said previously that he doesn't want to regulate bus services in the Tees Valley, but is happy to fund the fact finding project to prove his position - as he believes that the current network is fine, with a few tweaks to improve access in outlying areas. That's all this is.

A potentially expensive gamble if he is proven otherwise.

Andreos1

02 Jul 2018, 11:36 am #113
Buses in 'crisis'.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44681974

3,000 routes cut-back or withdrawn according to CBT report.

Andreos1
02 Jul 2018, 11:36 am #113

Buses in 'crisis'.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44681974

3,000 routes cut-back or withdrawn according to CBT report.

Andreos1

16 Jul 2018, 4:06 pm #114
Operators accused of holding TfGM to random over fleet modernisation.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...ssion=true

Andreos1
16 Jul 2018, 4:06 pm #114

Operators accused of holding TfGM to random over fleet modernisation.

James101

16 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm #115
(16 Jul 2018, 4:06 pm)Andreos1 Operators accused of holding TfGM to random over fleet modernisation.

I was in Manchester earlier and observed how shabby the bus fleets are looking, particularly First. Vantage aside, First haven't already had a new vehicle in over four years. A fleet the size of Manchester they need to introduce around 30 new buses a year just to keep the fleet average age stable. By starving the fleet of investment they'll find themselves in tricky situation in a few years when the fleet will require replacing en-mass and First Group won't be able to finance it, if last year's results are anything to go by. 

What could happen? Either franchising goes ahead and First lose market share by default, or lack of investment means First continue chipping the edges away from their commercial network with the pieces picked up by Transdev, Rotala, HCT and the independent sector.
James101
16 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm #115

(16 Jul 2018, 4:06 pm)Andreos1 Operators accused of holding TfGM to random over fleet modernisation.

I was in Manchester earlier and observed how shabby the bus fleets are looking, particularly First. Vantage aside, First haven't already had a new vehicle in over four years. A fleet the size of Manchester they need to introduce around 30 new buses a year just to keep the fleet average age stable. By starving the fleet of investment they'll find themselves in tricky situation in a few years when the fleet will require replacing en-mass and First Group won't be able to finance it, if last year's results are anything to go by. 

What could happen? Either franchising goes ahead and First lose market share by default, or lack of investment means First continue chipping the edges away from their commercial network with the pieces picked up by Transdev, Rotala, HCT and the independent sector.

James101

16 Jul 2018, 9:22 pm #116
What ever happened to Go North East’s ‘Say Yes Now’ campaign? With it’s ‘Quality Partnerships’ and ‘Charter for Positive Change’? Is it called something else now or was it all just binned when Nexus lost by default as they didn’t have to bother anymore?
James101
16 Jul 2018, 9:22 pm #116

What ever happened to Go North East’s ‘Say Yes Now’ campaign? With it’s ‘Quality Partnerships’ and ‘Charter for Positive Change’? Is it called something else now or was it all just binned when Nexus lost by default as they didn’t have to bother anymore?

Tamesider

12 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm #117
(16 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm)James101 What could happen? Either franchising goes ahead and First lose market share by default, or lack of investment means First continue chipping the edges away from their commercial network with the pieces picked up by Transdev, Rotala, HCT and the independent sector.

A third option is on the table, in the form of "Enhanced" Quality Patrnerships. Trouble is, no one seems to know what this could mean in practice. ie. would it cover the entire network (eg. single framework of fares to remove the existing "postcode" lottery)?
Tamesider
12 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm #117

(16 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm)James101 What could happen? Either franchising goes ahead and First lose market share by default, or lack of investment means First continue chipping the edges away from their commercial network with the pieces picked up by Transdev, Rotala, HCT and the independent sector.

A third option is on the table, in the form of "Enhanced" Quality Patrnerships. Trouble is, no one seems to know what this could mean in practice. ie. would it cover the entire network (eg. single framework of fares to remove the existing "postcode" lottery)?

Andreos1

12 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm #118
(12 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm)Tamesider A third option is on the table, in the form of "Enhanced"  Quality Patrnerships. Trouble is, no one seems to know what this could mean in practice. ie. would it cover the entire network (eg. single framework of fares to remove the existing "postcode" lottery)? 

If it is anything like Sheffield, then probably cuts and consolidation. 

The S Yorkshire thread is interesting to look at when checking on the number of changes since their QP was introduced.

Andreos1
12 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm #118

(12 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm)Tamesider A third option is on the table, in the form of "Enhanced"  Quality Patrnerships. Trouble is, no one seems to know what this could mean in practice. ie. would it cover the entire network (eg. single framework of fares to remove the existing "postcode" lottery)? 

If it is anything like Sheffield, then probably cuts and consolidation. 

The S Yorkshire thread is interesting to look at when checking on the number of changes since their QP was introduced.

Tamesider

12 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm #119
(12 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm)Andreos1 If it is anything like Sheffield, then probably cuts and consolidation. 

That's a fair point - and an argument against QPs - but AFAIK, both the Sheffield (note it isn't labelled "South Yorkshire") and Merseyside QPs only concern specific trunk routes - and probably the ones where there is/was already competition between major companies. What I'm getting at is, with the "Enhanced" bit, will it mean ALL services in the Authority's area (eg. Greater Manchester) be covered?
Tamesider
12 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm #119

(12 Aug 2018, 3:17 pm)Andreos1 If it is anything like Sheffield, then probably cuts and consolidation. 

That's a fair point - and an argument against QPs - but AFAIK, both the Sheffield (note it isn't labelled "South Yorkshire") and Merseyside QPs only concern specific trunk routes - and probably the ones where there is/was already competition between major companies. What I'm getting at is, with the "Enhanced" bit, will it mean ALL services in the Authority's area (eg. Greater Manchester) be covered?

Andreos1

12 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm #120
(12 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm)Tamesider That's a fair point - and an argument against QPs - but AFAIK, both the Sheffield (note it isn't labelled "South Yorkshire") and Merseyside QPs only concern specific trunk routes - and probably the ones where there is/was already competition between major companies. What I'm getting at is, with the "Enhanced" bit, will it mean ALL services in the Authority's area (eg. Greater Manchester) be covered?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/bus-opera...-1-9024145

The Sheffield Partnership has been a disaster according to some. 
Interesting figures and comments in that article and I know not all changes have gone down well. 
Further changes planned for next month are less than popular too. 

I haven't looked at the Manchester deal for a while, so can't comment on who or what will be included or whether there have been changes to previous plans.

Andreos1
12 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm #120

(12 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm)Tamesider That's a fair point - and an argument against QPs - but AFAIK, both the Sheffield (note it isn't labelled "South Yorkshire") and Merseyside QPs only concern specific trunk routes - and probably the ones where there is/was already competition between major companies. What I'm getting at is, with the "Enhanced" bit, will it mean ALL services in the Authority's area (eg. Greater Manchester) be covered?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/bus-opera...-1-9024145

The Sheffield Partnership has been a disaster according to some. 
Interesting figures and comments in that article and I know not all changes have gone down well. 
Further changes planned for next month are less than popular too. 

I haven't looked at the Manchester deal for a while, so can't comment on who or what will be included or whether there have been changes to previous plans.

Pages (10) Previous 15 6 710 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average