North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East May 2024 changes

May 2024 changes

May 2024 changes

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Andreos1

31 Mar 2024, 3:09 pm #21
(31 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm)Adrian  
Is it the people that are bad, or is it the direction that they're under?

I've no doubt that Nexus, TNE and all the operators have some excellent people working for them, but look at the direction they're under. Nexus and Transport North East both dance to the tune played by the JTC, and there's just no direction from the membership of that. Looking at the membership, I don't believe any of them even use public transport. 

With the main operators, to me, it's more that they've all lost sight of the primary objective of what they exist for. I follow Go North East more than I do anyone else, and it's bloody evident that the Featham era of cost-cutting from Arriva has transitioned to them. I've used buses more in the past couple of days than I've used in the last 6 months, and if I was leading that business, I'd be embarrassed at the state of it. I'm sure there's people there that want to do good things and make things better, but they'd be better off talking to a brick wall.

Without trying to get into a completely different debate, I think the BSIP had a lot of potential. Sure, it's delivered a decent range of day tickets at a decent price, but there's been very little else on the face of it. Of course, most of the problem with that is the lack of public engagement (which was always typical of Nexus, and has translated into TNE). If you can't take people with you, then you're often onto a hiding to nothing.

If we do go down the franchising route, as almost certainly we will, then the best decision the new combined authority could take is to get a proper bus person on board to lead it.

I agree with you about the comparisons to Manchester. I don't think there's another network similar to what ours would cover, servicing three Cities, within five Metropolitan boroughs and two rural counties. It's not going to be easy, but doing nothing is a non-starter. The majority of the commercial networks are on life support right now, and if we do nothing, there will be nothing. 

A completely public network would be my preference, and hopefully that'll be something that can be aspired to, if Labour keep their promise of scrapping the ban on municipal operators, but I don't think it's impossible for a public-private partnership to work in the interim. It does need almost a blank canvas approach though.

The funding comes from the devolution deal, and depending which candidate you talk to, there's various ideas about drawing in additional funding.

I'd argue it's the people. Maybe not initially, but once the culture becomes ingrained, how difficult is it going to be to change the mindset of one person, never mind 10, 20+.
Particularly when you've got 'well respected' traditionalists such as RF and a certain desire creator, making their mouths go?

Look how long it has taken established monolithic organisations such as the Met to change (we all know they haven't, despite all the reforms).
Edited 31 Mar 2024, 3:11 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
31 Mar 2024, 3:09 pm #21

(31 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm)Adrian  
Is it the people that are bad, or is it the direction that they're under?

I've no doubt that Nexus, TNE and all the operators have some excellent people working for them, but look at the direction they're under. Nexus and Transport North East both dance to the tune played by the JTC, and there's just no direction from the membership of that. Looking at the membership, I don't believe any of them even use public transport. 

With the main operators, to me, it's more that they've all lost sight of the primary objective of what they exist for. I follow Go North East more than I do anyone else, and it's bloody evident that the Featham era of cost-cutting from Arriva has transitioned to them. I've used buses more in the past couple of days than I've used in the last 6 months, and if I was leading that business, I'd be embarrassed at the state of it. I'm sure there's people there that want to do good things and make things better, but they'd be better off talking to a brick wall.

Without trying to get into a completely different debate, I think the BSIP had a lot of potential. Sure, it's delivered a decent range of day tickets at a decent price, but there's been very little else on the face of it. Of course, most of the problem with that is the lack of public engagement (which was always typical of Nexus, and has translated into TNE). If you can't take people with you, then you're often onto a hiding to nothing.

If we do go down the franchising route, as almost certainly we will, then the best decision the new combined authority could take is to get a proper bus person on board to lead it.

I agree with you about the comparisons to Manchester. I don't think there's another network similar to what ours would cover, servicing three Cities, within five Metropolitan boroughs and two rural counties. It's not going to be easy, but doing nothing is a non-starter. The majority of the commercial networks are on life support right now, and if we do nothing, there will be nothing. 

A completely public network would be my preference, and hopefully that'll be something that can be aspired to, if Labour keep their promise of scrapping the ban on municipal operators, but I don't think it's impossible for a public-private partnership to work in the interim. It does need almost a blank canvas approach though.

The funding comes from the devolution deal, and depending which candidate you talk to, there's various ideas about drawing in additional funding.

I'd argue it's the people. Maybe not initially, but once the culture becomes ingrained, how difficult is it going to be to change the mindset of one person, never mind 10, 20+.
Particularly when you've got 'well respected' traditionalists such as RF and a certain desire creator, making their mouths go?

Look how long it has taken established monolithic organisations such as the Met to change (we all know they haven't, despite all the reforms).

MurdnunoC

31 Mar 2024, 3:26 pm #22
(31 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm)Andreos1 Cheers Daniel! 

Typing it out as we speak.
I'm a bit disappointed that you're submitting an application to be the lead in whatever form franchising takes in the region.

I was sure you'd be headhunted by 'Our Vety Own Dan' to design the fledgling network for Northstar, given the desire you've created for the position through your many observations and your penchant for ensuring correct survey sizes are sampled.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC
31 Mar 2024, 3:26 pm #22

(31 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm)Andreos1 Cheers Daniel! 

Typing it out as we speak.
I'm a bit disappointed that you're submitting an application to be the lead in whatever form franchising takes in the region.

I was sure you'd be headhunted by 'Our Vety Own Dan' to design the fledgling network for Northstar, given the desire you've created for the position through your many observations and your penchant for ensuring correct survey sizes are sampled.

Andreos1

31 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm #23
(31 Mar 2024, 3:26 pm)MurdnunoC I'm a bit disappointed that you're submitting an application to be the lead in whatever form franchising takes in the region.

He's not asked me unfortunately. 
Which is a shame and to be honest, a missed opportunity for him.

Andreos1
31 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm #23

(31 Mar 2024, 3:26 pm)MurdnunoC I'm a bit disappointed that you're submitting an application to be the lead in whatever form franchising takes in the region.

He's not asked me unfortunately. 
Which is a shame and to be honest, a missed opportunity for him.

Michael

24 Apr 2024, 4:56 am #24
(28 Mar 2024, 7:59 pm)Michael 4th May 2024:

PB0003954/1433
New GO NORTH EAST LIMITED X75 (X75) Newcastle Wallington Hall

12th May 2024:

PB0003954/1383
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 82 (82) Queen Elizabeth Hospital Waterview Park

PB0003954/1219
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED X1 (X1A) Newcastle Peterlee

PB0003954/1280
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 81 (81) Sunderland Gateshead

The Belsay and Wallington Express X75 bus is back for 2024, providing free and sustainable travel for all visitors to Belsay Hall and Wallington, supported by English Heritage and National Trust.

Go North East's X75 connects Newcastle City Centre with Belsay Hall, Bolam Lake and Wallington. The service will run every Saturday from 4 May until 7 September 2024, starting at Haymarket bus station in Newcastle city centre.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/X75-returns-summer

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Apr 2024, 4:56 am #24

(28 Mar 2024, 7:59 pm)Michael 4th May 2024:

PB0003954/1433
New GO NORTH EAST LIMITED X75 (X75) Newcastle Wallington Hall

12th May 2024:

PB0003954/1383
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 82 (82) Queen Elizabeth Hospital Waterview Park

PB0003954/1219
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED X1 (X1A) Newcastle Peterlee

PB0003954/1280
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 81 (81) Sunderland Gateshead

The Belsay and Wallington Express X75 bus is back for 2024, providing free and sustainable travel for all visitors to Belsay Hall and Wallington, supported by English Heritage and National Trust.

Go North East's X75 connects Newcastle City Centre with Belsay Hall, Bolam Lake and Wallington. The service will run every Saturday from 4 May until 7 September 2024, starting at Haymarket bus station in Newcastle city centre.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

24 Apr 2024, 6:21 am #25
(24 Apr 2024, 4:56 am)Michael The Belsay and Wallington Express X75 bus is back for 2024, providing free and sustainable travel for all visitors to Belsay Hall and Wallington, supported by English Heritage and National Trust.

Hang on!!  X75 .....FREE TRAVEL
Retro Nero
24 Apr 2024, 6:21 am #25

(24 Apr 2024, 4:56 am)Michael The Belsay and Wallington Express X75 bus is back for 2024, providing free and sustainable travel for all visitors to Belsay Hall and Wallington, supported by English Heritage and National Trust.

Hang on!!  X75 .....FREE TRAVEL

24 Apr 2024, 6:29 am #26
(24 Apr 2024, 6:21 am)Retro Nero Hang on!!  X75 .....FREE TRAVEL

Ah, but do you need an entry ticket for one of the attractions to qualify for your free bus travel?
Ianthegoon
24 Apr 2024, 6:29 am #26

(24 Apr 2024, 6:21 am)Retro Nero Hang on!!  X75 .....FREE TRAVEL

Ah, but do you need an entry ticket for one of the attractions to qualify for your free bus travel?

24 Apr 2024, 1:18 pm #27
(24 Apr 2024, 6:29 am)Ianthegoon Ah, but do you need an entry ticket for one of the attractions to qualify for your free bus travel?

Yes ! That'll be the catch,,,
Edited 24 Apr 2024, 1:19 pm by Retro Nero.
Retro Nero
24 Apr 2024, 1:18 pm #27

(24 Apr 2024, 6:29 am)Ianthegoon Ah, but do you need an entry ticket for one of the attractions to qualify for your free bus travel?

Yes ! That'll be the catch,,,

24 Apr 2024, 1:27 pm #28
Probably not the right group but I've put in many complains to Nexus regarding the 317 and for some reason as of today, they've turned around and said they cannot help and that GNE is the one to complain to? So is the 317 no longer a Nexus service or are they just hiring lazy people who can't be arsed to help? Terrible customer service now.
Lewis1509
24 Apr 2024, 1:27 pm #28

Probably not the right group but I've put in many complains to Nexus regarding the 317 and for some reason as of today, they've turned around and said they cannot help and that GNE is the one to complain to? So is the 317 no longer a Nexus service or are they just hiring lazy people who can't be arsed to help? Terrible customer service now.

Michael

24 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm #29
From Sunday 12 May 2024, there will be some minor timetable changes to Little Pinks services 81/82 and Xlines X1. Unfortunately, from this date, we will no longer be the operator of service 520 between Houghton-le-Spring and Fence Houses.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/minor-serv...ges-12-may
Michael
24 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm #29

From Sunday 12 May 2024, there will be some minor timetable changes to Little Pinks services 81/82 and Xlines X1. Unfortunately, from this date, we will no longer be the operator of service 520 between Houghton-le-Spring and Fence Houses.

24 Apr 2024, 5:37 pm #30
(24 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm)Michael From Sunday 12 May 2024, there will be some minor timetable changes to Little Pinks services 81/82 and Xlines X1. Unfortunately, from this date, we will no longer be the operator of service 520 between Houghton-le-Spring and Fence Houses.

Not the changes i was hoping for, the 82 really should be half hourly between Birtley & The Galleries. Maybe you could merge in the TB14 as well.
Edited 24 Apr 2024, 5:37 pm by ASX_Terranova.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
24 Apr 2024, 5:37 pm #30

(24 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm)Michael From Sunday 12 May 2024, there will be some minor timetable changes to Little Pinks services 81/82 and Xlines X1. Unfortunately, from this date, we will no longer be the operator of service 520 between Houghton-le-Spring and Fence Houses.

Not the changes i was hoping for, the 82 really should be half hourly between Birtley & The Galleries. Maybe you could merge in the TB14 as well.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Ambassador

24 Apr 2024, 9:09 pm #31

No, as arriving on the bus gets you 20% off your ticket when you arrive 

Fully funded gratis free ride away to your hearts content bus

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
24 Apr 2024, 9:09 pm #31

No, as arriving on the bus gets you 20% off your ticket when you arrive 

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Yesterday, 6:16 am #32
(24 Apr 2024, 9:09 pm)Ambassador No, as arriving on the bus gets you 20% off your ticket when you arrive 

Hmmmmm.  If you don't have a bus ticket, how do you prove you arrived by bus.....?
Ianthegoon
Yesterday, 6:16 am #32

(24 Apr 2024, 9:09 pm)Ambassador No, as arriving on the bus gets you 20% off your ticket when you arrive 

Hmmmmm.  If you don't have a bus ticket, how do you prove you arrived by bus.....?

Yesterday, 7:53 am #33
(Yesterday, 6:16 am)Ianthegoon Hmmmmm.  If you don't have a bus ticket, how do you prove you arrived by bus.....?

If you've arrived by bus you will either have a paper ticket issue on the bus or an App. Ticket on your phone!!
Retro Nero
Yesterday, 7:53 am #33

(Yesterday, 6:16 am)Ianthegoon Hmmmmm.  If you don't have a bus ticket, how do you prove you arrived by bus.....?

If you've arrived by bus you will either have a paper ticket issue on the bus or an App. Ticket on your phone!!

8 hours ago #34
IIRC staff meet the bus as it arrives at each National Trust location.
Rapidsnap
8 hours ago #34

IIRC staff meet the bus as it arrives at each National Trust location.

2 hours ago #35
(Yesterday, 7:53 am)Retro Nero If you've arrived by bus you will either have a paper ticket issue on the bus or an App. Ticket on your phone!!

But, if it's a free bus, why would you have, or need, a ticket?!

I think Rapidsnap has the answer, though .....
Edited 2 hours ago by Ianthegoon.
Ianthegoon
2 hours ago #35

(Yesterday, 7:53 am)Retro Nero If you've arrived by bus you will either have a paper ticket issue on the bus or an App. Ticket on your phone!!

But, if it's a free bus, why would you have, or need, a ticket?!

2 hours ago #36
(2 hours ago)Ianthegoon But, if it's a free bus, why would you have, or need, a ticket?!

Last year, free X75 branded tickets were issued.
OrangeArrow49
2 hours ago #36

(2 hours ago)Ianthegoon But, if it's a free bus, why would you have, or need, a ticket?!

Last year, free X75 branded tickets were issued.

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average