Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 131 32 33150 Next
L469 YVK

03 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm #621
(03 Jan 2020, 2:11 pm)OrangeArrow49 Curtail services 25, 26/27 and 28/28A/28B at Gateshead Interchange and curtail the 25 at Witton Gilbert. This could allow the 309/310/311 to move to Eldon Square.
They'd end up carrying fresh air if moved to Eldon Square! No harm keeping them at Haymarket. I think GNE will become the dominant operator between Coast Road / Station Road & Newcastle within the next few years with Arriva restructuring the 306 / 308 to a similar way that GNE have with the 21 / X21.
L469 YVK
03 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm #621

(03 Jan 2020, 2:11 pm)OrangeArrow49 Curtail services 25, 26/27 and 28/28A/28B at Gateshead Interchange and curtail the 25 at Witton Gilbert. This could allow the 309/310/311 to move to Eldon Square.
They'd end up carrying fresh air if moved to Eldon Square! No harm keeping them at Haymarket. I think GNE will become the dominant operator between Coast Road / Station Road & Newcastle within the next few years with Arriva restructuring the 306 / 308 to a similar way that GNE have with the 21 / X21.

03 Jan 2020, 2:27 pm #622
(03 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm)L469 YVK They'd end up carrying fresh air if moved to Eldon Square! No harm keeping them at Haymarket. I think GNE will become the dominant operator between Coast Road / Station Road & Newcastle within the next few years with Arriva restructuring the 306 / 308 to a similar way that GNE have with the 21 / X21.

Haymarket is dominated by Arriva, whereas Eldon Square is dominated by GNE. How would moving bus station change passenger numbers? Connections are easier if all the services are in one place, the Q3 and Cobalt &. Coast services are odd in Haymarket.

What about curtailing services at Gateshead? Some 27s could still continue to Newcastle.
OrangeArrow49
03 Jan 2020, 2:27 pm #622

(03 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm)L469 YVK They'd end up carrying fresh air if moved to Eldon Square! No harm keeping them at Haymarket. I think GNE will become the dominant operator between Coast Road / Station Road & Newcastle within the next few years with Arriva restructuring the 306 / 308 to a similar way that GNE have with the 21 / X21.

Haymarket is dominated by Arriva, whereas Eldon Square is dominated by GNE. How would moving bus station change passenger numbers? Connections are easier if all the services are in one place, the Q3 and Cobalt &. Coast services are odd in Haymarket.

What about curtailing services at Gateshead? Some 27s could still continue to Newcastle.

03 Jan 2020, 2:33 pm #623
(03 Jan 2020, 2:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 Haymarket is dominated by Arriva, whereas Eldon Square is dominated by GNE. How would moving bus station change passenger numbers? Connections are easier if all the services are in one place, the Q3 and Cobalt &. Coast services are odd in Haymarket.

That's exactly why they should be at Haymarket. They're trying to take passengers away from Arriva, so why not put the services alongside Arriva's.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
03 Jan 2020, 2:33 pm #623

(03 Jan 2020, 2:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 Haymarket is dominated by Arriva, whereas Eldon Square is dominated by GNE. How would moving bus station change passenger numbers? Connections are easier if all the services are in one place, the Q3 and Cobalt &. Coast services are odd in Haymarket.

That's exactly why they should be at Haymarket. They're trying to take passengers away from Arriva, so why not put the services alongside Arriva's.

03 Jan 2020, 2:41 pm #624
(03 Jan 2020, 2:33 pm)streetdeckfan That's exactly why they should be at Haymarket. They're trying to take passengers away from Arriva, so why not put the services alongside Arriva's.

My logic was GNE could take passengers away from Arriva by keeping passengers away from Haymarket. Only passengers from Great Park and Gosforth are currently able to connect with the Cobalt & Coast services directly. Passengers with GNE tickets already will connect with other GNE services in Newcastle wherever they go from. Moving all services to Eldon Square will make connections easier for Stagecoach passengers. Anyone disembarking at Haymarket probably already have an ticket to connect with other Arriva services.
OrangeArrow49
03 Jan 2020, 2:41 pm #624

(03 Jan 2020, 2:33 pm)streetdeckfan That's exactly why they should be at Haymarket. They're trying to take passengers away from Arriva, so why not put the services alongside Arriva's.

My logic was GNE could take passengers away from Arriva by keeping passengers away from Haymarket. Only passengers from Great Park and Gosforth are currently able to connect with the Cobalt & Coast services directly. Passengers with GNE tickets already will connect with other GNE services in Newcastle wherever they go from. Moving all services to Eldon Square will make connections easier for Stagecoach passengers. Anyone disembarking at Haymarket probably already have an ticket to connect with other Arriva services.

cbma06

03 Jan 2020, 2:45 pm #625

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
03 Jan 2020, 2:45 pm #625

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 Jan 2020, 2:46 pm #626
(03 Jan 2020, 2:41 pm)OrangeArrow49 My logic was GNE could take passengers away from Arriva by keeping passengers away from Haymarket. Only passengers from Great Park and Gosforth are currently able to connect with the Cobalt & Coast services directly. Passengers with GNE tickets already will connect with other GNE services in Newcastle wherever they go from. Moving all services to Eldon Square will make connections easier for Stagecoach passengers. Anyone disembarking at Haymarket probably already have an ticket to connect with other Arriva services.

I can see the logic, but I think it makes more sense having the stations split based on location rather than operator, with Northbound services at Haymarket and Southbound services at Eldon Square

I would also argue that anyone using the 309/310 will probably be connecting to another GNE service already

streetdeckfan
03 Jan 2020, 2:46 pm #626

(03 Jan 2020, 2:41 pm)OrangeArrow49 My logic was GNE could take passengers away from Arriva by keeping passengers away from Haymarket. Only passengers from Great Park and Gosforth are currently able to connect with the Cobalt & Coast services directly. Passengers with GNE tickets already will connect with other GNE services in Newcastle wherever they go from. Moving all services to Eldon Square will make connections easier for Stagecoach passengers. Anyone disembarking at Haymarket probably already have an ticket to connect with other Arriva services.

I can see the logic, but I think it makes more sense having the stations split based on location rather than operator, with Northbound services at Haymarket and Southbound services at Eldon Square

I would also argue that anyone using the 309/310 will probably be connecting to another GNE service already

Rob44

03 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm #627
After leaving the match on new years day it struck me how flowing the traffic was in the city centre.... there were no buses. I realise that it was also quiet but there were ALOT of taxi and private cars  around.  Maybe Orange has a point and all GNE services that call at Gateshead/heworth should terminate there and passengers to use the metro?  Same as arriva service from the north should turn around at Regent centre.  If Newcastle and gateshead plus the other councils are serious about air pollution this should have at least been talked about.
Rob44
03 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm #627

After leaving the match on new years day it struck me how flowing the traffic was in the city centre.... there were no buses. I realise that it was also quiet but there were ALOT of taxi and private cars  around.  Maybe Orange has a point and all GNE services that call at Gateshead/heworth should terminate there and passengers to use the metro?  Same as arriva service from the north should turn around at Regent centre.  If Newcastle and gateshead plus the other councils are serious about air pollution this should have at least been talked about.

Ds1197

03 Jan 2020, 5:13 pm #628
The 26/27 don't stop at Eldon Square the stop at Market Street
Ds1197
03 Jan 2020, 5:13 pm #628

The 26/27 don't stop at Eldon Square the stop at Market Street

03 Jan 2020, 5:27 pm #629
(03 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm)Rob44 After leaving the match on new years day it struck me how flowing the traffic was in the city centre.... there were no buses. I realise that it was also quiet but there were ALOT of taxi and private cars  around.  Maybe Orange has a point and all GNE services that call at Gateshead/heworth should terminate there and passengers to use the metro?  Same as arriva service from the north should turn around at Regent centre.  If Newcastle and gateshead plus the other councils are serious about air pollution this should have at least been talked about.

Some GNE services could terminate at Gateshead Interchange, they don't all need to continue to Newcastle as long as there is little or no waiting time for a connection to Newcastle, and the Metro could be utilised to some extent. Not sure how tickets could work though, connecting GNE buses at Gateshead to continue to Newcastle could work, the Metro less so. Perhaps GNE tickets could be accepted just between Gateshead and Newcastle City Centre?

There are too many GNE buses serving Newcastle. 

Less buses in Newcastle in general would be a good thing.

(03 Jan 2020, 5:13 pm)Ds1197 The 26/27 don't stop at Eldon Square the stop at Market Street

Anyone say otherwise? I said curtail the 26/27 at Gateshead, never said they stop at Eldon Square. Terminating services 25 and 28/28A/28B would create some room at Eldon Square for other services. I personally wouldn't put the 26/27 at Eldon Square, Market Street is good enough for the 1, 26/27, 56, 57, 58 etc.
Edited 03 Jan 2020, 5:31 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
03 Jan 2020, 5:27 pm #629

(03 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm)Rob44 After leaving the match on new years day it struck me how flowing the traffic was in the city centre.... there were no buses. I realise that it was also quiet but there were ALOT of taxi and private cars  around.  Maybe Orange has a point and all GNE services that call at Gateshead/heworth should terminate there and passengers to use the metro?  Same as arriva service from the north should turn around at Regent centre.  If Newcastle and gateshead plus the other councils are serious about air pollution this should have at least been talked about.

Some GNE services could terminate at Gateshead Interchange, they don't all need to continue to Newcastle as long as there is little or no waiting time for a connection to Newcastle, and the Metro could be utilised to some extent. Not sure how tickets could work though, connecting GNE buses at Gateshead to continue to Newcastle could work, the Metro less so. Perhaps GNE tickets could be accepted just between Gateshead and Newcastle City Centre?

(03 Jan 2020, 5:13 pm)Ds1197 The 26/27 don't stop at Eldon Square the stop at Market Street

Anyone say otherwise? I said curtail the 26/27 at Gateshead, never said they stop at Eldon Square. Terminating services 25 and 28/28A/28B would create some room at Eldon Square for other services. I personally wouldn't put the 26/27 at Eldon Square, Market Street is good enough for the 1, 26/27, 56, 57, 58 etc.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm #630
(03 Jan 2020, 5:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 Some GNE services could terminate at Gateshead Interchange, they don't all need to continue to Newcastle as long as there is little or no waiting time for a connection to Newcastle, and the Metro could be utilised to some extent. Not sure how tickets could work though, connecting GNE buses at Gateshead to continue to Newcastle could work, the Metro less so. Perhaps GNE tickets could be accepted just between Gateshead and Newcastle City Centre?

To do all of those things, you need an integrated transport network. 
We did have that once upon a time...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm #630

(03 Jan 2020, 5:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 Some GNE services could terminate at Gateshead Interchange, they don't all need to continue to Newcastle as long as there is little or no waiting time for a connection to Newcastle, and the Metro could be utilised to some extent. Not sure how tickets could work though, connecting GNE buses at Gateshead to continue to Newcastle could work, the Metro less so. Perhaps GNE tickets could be accepted just between Gateshead and Newcastle City Centre?

To do all of those things, you need an integrated transport network. 
We did have that once upon a time...

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Adrian

03 Jan 2020, 7:58 pm #631
I can see a good argument for not having every service go into Newcastle, but it would be commercial suicide to terminate everything at Gateshead. You're then forcing people to go for Network One tickets, where GNE only gets part revenue from. The rest is split (although not evenly) between the other partners of Network Ticketing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Jan 2020, 7:58 pm #631

I can see a good argument for not having every service go into Newcastle, but it would be commercial suicide to terminate everything at Gateshead. You're then forcing people to go for Network One tickets, where GNE only gets part revenue from. The rest is split (although not evenly) between the other partners of Network Ticketing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

03 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm #632
(03 Jan 2020, 7:58 pm)Adrian I can see a good argument for not having every service go into Newcastle, but it would be commercial suicide to terminate everything at Gateshead. You're then forcing people to go for Network One tickets, where GNE only gets part revenue from. The rest is split (although not evenly) between the other partners of Network Ticketing.

As well as the fact people don't want to have to change to go an extra stop or so into Newcastle on an already crowded Metro, I know I wouldn't. Don't think the Metro could actually cope with taking all of the Gateshead bus passengers into Newcastle.
deanmachine
03 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm #632

(03 Jan 2020, 7:58 pm)Adrian I can see a good argument for not having every service go into Newcastle, but it would be commercial suicide to terminate everything at Gateshead. You're then forcing people to go for Network One tickets, where GNE only gets part revenue from. The rest is split (although not evenly) between the other partners of Network Ticketing.

As well as the fact people don't want to have to change to go an extra stop or so into Newcastle on an already crowded Metro, I know I wouldn't. Don't think the Metro could actually cope with taking all of the Gateshead bus passengers into Newcastle.

03 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm #633
Make the X9/X10 a coach service, going from Central Station instead of Eldon Square.

NEW service X82 on Sundays only, following X84 route but terminating at Throckley. Could the X84 ever realistically operate additionally via Silver Lonnen and Slatyford Lane to Denton Burn to incorporate Slatyford and possibly remove the need for the Nexus 84A, which could operate between Fenham and Newcastle only?
OrangeArrow49
03 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm #633

Make the X9/X10 a coach service, going from Central Station instead of Eldon Square.

NEW service X82 on Sundays only, following X84 route but terminating at Throckley. Could the X84 ever realistically operate additionally via Silver Lonnen and Slatyford Lane to Denton Burn to incorporate Slatyford and possibly remove the need for the Nexus 84A, which could operate between Fenham and Newcastle only?

JM03

04 Jan 2020, 12:14 am #634
(03 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm)OrangeArrow49 Make the X9/X10 a coach service, going from Central Station instead of Eldon Square.

Wouldn't make much sense plus would need a renumber because of SNE X82, 84A is relatively unpopular but there for those who need it hence NEXUS secured it so wouldn't make much sense in a stagecoach dominated area, they have links to Hexham and beyond with 685 once a hour and the amount of stagecoach services going through wouldn't make passengers switch for a rather infrequent GNE service with stagecoach having a frequent service in most areas.
JM03
04 Jan 2020, 12:14 am #634

(03 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm)OrangeArrow49 Make the X9/X10 a coach service, going from Central Station instead of Eldon Square.

Wouldn't make much sense plus would need a renumber because of SNE X82, 84A is relatively unpopular but there for those who need it hence NEXUS secured it so wouldn't make much sense in a stagecoach dominated area, they have links to Hexham and beyond with 685 once a hour and the amount of stagecoach services going through wouldn't make passengers switch for a rather infrequent GNE service with stagecoach having a frequent service in most areas.

04 Jan 2020, 12:34 am #635
GNE X82 would only run on Sundays, and terminate at Throckley as passengers can get to Hexham on the 685 and GNE 10. GNE provides the service Monday-Saturday, infrequently, competing against numerous operators towards Newcastle, Denton Burn, Throckley, Hexham etc, so why not on a Sunday? I travel on various GNE buses on Sundays and it costs more because I require a Stagecoach bus in to Newcastle. GNE are handing passengers to Stagecoach and to Arriva on Sundays on the route. 

I wonder if the 84A is continuing from March...apparently Stanley Travel won't be awarded the service as the contracts have been awarded to Arriva, GCT and GNE. The 84A seems unnecessary.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 12:34 am #635

GNE X82 would only run on Sundays, and terminate at Throckley as passengers can get to Hexham on the 685 and GNE 10. GNE provides the service Monday-Saturday, infrequently, competing against numerous operators towards Newcastle, Denton Burn, Throckley, Hexham etc, so why not on a Sunday? I travel on various GNE buses on Sundays and it costs more because I require a Stagecoach bus in to Newcastle. GNE are handing passengers to Stagecoach and to Arriva on Sundays on the route. 

I wonder if the 84A is continuing from March...apparently Stanley Travel won't be awarded the service as the contracts have been awarded to Arriva, GCT and GNE. The 84A seems unnecessary.

Rob44

04 Jan 2020, 9:51 am #636
Couple of things from the replies to mine and Orange posts

1) I never said it would be easy. You'd obviously have to have more frequent metros running but now would be the time to decided seen as they are purchasing a new fleet ( you'd need more drivers too )
2)Someone said it would be bad for GNE?  I don't Agree. If, say, the  21 only went as far as Gateshead do you think the 1000's of passengers who use this service to go to town will suddenly stop?  They would get off and get the more frequent ( see above) metro.  And this would obviously also include the 2 stagecoch services and the arriva x12 service so no buses from the south/east would enter Newcastle.
3) You wouldn't want to penalise customers so haw about a 3 months of free metro travel to and from newcastle with customers who have a GNE/Arriva?STagecoah ticket alighting from certain services. You could also stagger the service stopped from going into town. After the trail you'd have to decide if it was a success in both number of people using it and if the air quality has improved enough in town to continue.
4) if the bus companies really want to run service to Newcastle how about utilising current space and re opening worsick street bus station?

Obviously this is pie in the sky but like i said, new years day in Newcastle without buses, to pardon the pun, was like a" breath of fresh air"!
Rob44
04 Jan 2020, 9:51 am #636

Couple of things from the replies to mine and Orange posts

1) I never said it would be easy. You'd obviously have to have more frequent metros running but now would be the time to decided seen as they are purchasing a new fleet ( you'd need more drivers too )
2)Someone said it would be bad for GNE?  I don't Agree. If, say, the  21 only went as far as Gateshead do you think the 1000's of passengers who use this service to go to town will suddenly stop?  They would get off and get the more frequent ( see above) metro.  And this would obviously also include the 2 stagecoch services and the arriva x12 service so no buses from the south/east would enter Newcastle.
3) You wouldn't want to penalise customers so haw about a 3 months of free metro travel to and from newcastle with customers who have a GNE/Arriva?STagecoah ticket alighting from certain services. You could also stagger the service stopped from going into town. After the trail you'd have to decide if it was a success in both number of people using it and if the air quality has improved enough in town to continue.
4) if the bus companies really want to run service to Newcastle how about utilising current space and re opening worsick street bus station?

Obviously this is pie in the sky but like i said, new years day in Newcastle without buses, to pardon the pun, was like a" breath of fresh air"!

Ds1197

04 Jan 2020, 10:25 am #637
That system has trialled in the 80s when the bus services went private they started going back into Newcastle becasue passengers were annoyed having to get off walk to the metro most people would rather stay on the bus a couple of extra minutes. And your system the X9/X10 would turn around at Heworth because that's where it meets the metro, I'm not having a go just most of GNE buses comply with LEZ
Ds1197
04 Jan 2020, 10:25 am #637

That system has trialled in the 80s when the bus services went private they started going back into Newcastle becasue passengers were annoyed having to get off walk to the metro most people would rather stay on the bus a couple of extra minutes. And your system the X9/X10 would turn around at Heworth because that's where it meets the metro, I'm not having a go just most of GNE buses comply with LEZ

Rob44

04 Jan 2020, 11:33 am #638
No problem Ds1197.

Everyone has an option TBH.

I'm just saying Newcastle city Centre was "fresh" place on new years day. Wether the buses meet X,Y or Z doesn't matter, unless they are pure electric they cause pollution. When I was young i used to go from my house with my mum to winlaton. Go off bus at haymarket. Got 1 from Northumberland street to marlbough crestent then 631 to winlaton. I would have loved to have stayed on 1 bus to get me to my destination so i'm sure passengers could alight at heworth, gateshead, regent centre. It might take a bit of getting use to but there are many positives to this to.
Rob44
04 Jan 2020, 11:33 am #638

No problem Ds1197.

Everyone has an option TBH.

I'm just saying Newcastle city Centre was "fresh" place on new years day. Wether the buses meet X,Y or Z doesn't matter, unless they are pure electric they cause pollution. When I was young i used to go from my house with my mum to winlaton. Go off bus at haymarket. Got 1 from Northumberland street to marlbough crestent then 631 to winlaton. I would have loved to have stayed on 1 bus to get me to my destination so i'm sure passengers could alight at heworth, gateshead, regent centre. It might take a bit of getting use to but there are many positives to this to.

04 Jan 2020, 11:39 am #639
I know if the X21 didn't go to Newcastle, I wouldn't bother going. In fact, since moving to Bishop a few years ago, I've been to Newcastle more times than 10 years I lived in Gateshead!
There's nothing in Newcastle that I can't to at the MetroCentre, so if anything terminating buses at Gateshead would likely cause a lot of issues with Eldon Square. If you're going to change buses, why not go to MetroCentre instead

streetdeckfan
04 Jan 2020, 11:39 am #639

I know if the X21 didn't go to Newcastle, I wouldn't bother going. In fact, since moving to Bishop a few years ago, I've been to Newcastle more times than 10 years I lived in Gateshead!
There's nothing in Newcastle that I can't to at the MetroCentre, so if anything terminating buses at Gateshead would likely cause a lot of issues with Eldon Square. If you're going to change buses, why not go to MetroCentre instead

Jimmi

04 Jan 2020, 12:37 pm #640
One thing to bare in mind with this suggestion is concession bus pass holders can't use the Metro for free (have to buy a Metro Gold Card which is £12 a year if you live in Tyne & Wear or £24 if you live outside of T&W) and let's face it by the time you get off a bus walk to the Metro station wait for the Metro, on it and then get off then walk to Eldon it would take more time and effort than the bus currently does.
Jimmi
04 Jan 2020, 12:37 pm #640

One thing to bare in mind with this suggestion is concession bus pass holders can't use the Metro for free (have to buy a Metro Gold Card which is £12 a year if you live in Tyne & Wear or £24 if you live outside of T&W) and let's face it by the time you get off a bus walk to the Metro station wait for the Metro, on it and then get off then walk to Eldon it would take more time and effort than the bus currently does.

Pages (150) Previous 131 32 33150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average