Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 137 38 39150 Next
L469 YVK

16 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm #741
(16 Apr 2020, 10:37 am)Storx If you do this you might aswell terminate the 309 at Cobalt and have a few peak runs to Blyth as no-one will use it and downgrade them all to mini buses. This isn't the first time you've totally ignored 3/4 of a bus route. The 309 is Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Cobalt -> N Tyneside Hospital -> Whitley Bay -> Seaton Sluice -> South Beach -> Blyth. You've just gone and decimated the bit in bold from every 15 mins to 30 mins, where there's competition with Arriva who will be laughing. You do realise the 308 is one of Arriva NE's top performing routes right?
You've got to remember that there will likely (although 100% certain) be a lot of changes to people's travel patterns post C19 for various reasons. Bus operators (not just GNE) will need to likely adapt to that and change their services to reflect the shift in travel patterns.

For starters, 3/4 of a route wouldn't be ignored. The frequency would be reduced to reflect demand and I can see Arriva even potentially doing the same (albeit every 20 minutes each). GNE for all we know might just decide to 'sweat it out' and wait for Arriva & Stagecoach to crack by cutting their frequencies and service levels (22, 22x, x6, 306, 308) and subsequently come out better off.

The timings BTW aren't an idea as such but more a thought of what could potentially be implemented by GNE in response to changing travel patterns. 

But as I've said above, all operators will likely need to adapt various routes in response to travel patterns potentially changing.
L469 YVK
16 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm #741

(16 Apr 2020, 10:37 am)Storx If you do this you might aswell terminate the 309 at Cobalt and have a few peak runs to Blyth as no-one will use it and downgrade them all to mini buses. This isn't the first time you've totally ignored 3/4 of a bus route. The 309 is Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Cobalt -> N Tyneside Hospital -> Whitley Bay -> Seaton Sluice -> South Beach -> Blyth. You've just gone and decimated the bit in bold from every 15 mins to 30 mins, where there's competition with Arriva who will be laughing. You do realise the 308 is one of Arriva NE's top performing routes right?
You've got to remember that there will likely (although 100% certain) be a lot of changes to people's travel patterns post C19 for various reasons. Bus operators (not just GNE) will need to likely adapt to that and change their services to reflect the shift in travel patterns.

For starters, 3/4 of a route wouldn't be ignored. The frequency would be reduced to reflect demand and I can see Arriva even potentially doing the same (albeit every 20 minutes each). GNE for all we know might just decide to 'sweat it out' and wait for Arriva & Stagecoach to crack by cutting their frequencies and service levels (22, 22x, x6, 306, 308) and subsequently come out better off.

The timings BTW aren't an idea as such but more a thought of what could potentially be implemented by GNE in response to changing travel patterns. 

But as I've said above, all operators will likely need to adapt various routes in response to travel patterns potentially changing.

Storx

16 Apr 2020, 6:07 pm #742
(16 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm)L469 YVK You've got to remember that there will likely (although 100% certain) be a lot of changes to people's travel patterns post C19 for various reasons. Bus operators (not just GNE) will need to likely adapt to that and change their services to reflect the shift in travel patterns.

The 306 and 308 wont be getting reduced though, they're 2 of their flagship routes and nothing has changed to make them lose customers and also reducing the 306 wouldn't work because of the 30 minute extension to Whitley. They've been every 15 minutes forever and there's no competition changes to negatively impact them if anything they'll have gained from GNE dropping theirs to every 20 minutes. Not to mention the fact that everytime Arriva put singles on the 308 they struggle heavily at peak times after promising numerous times they wont.

The problem with the Coast Road and GNE is the 1 (Stagecoach) and 22 extension as now anyone from the West End no longer has to purchase seperate tickets to travel to Cobalt (the main purpose of the 309/310). Reducing the 309 and 310 on the extreme services will just kill them completely. No-one in their right mind would pay more for a less frequent service which takes longer regardless to whether it has folding seats or whatever. 4 buses an hour vs 2 buses an hour is a killer and with the 22 and 1 eating away at Cobalt, you've got a bit of a pointless bus route. If anything is going to go it'll be the 311 not the 309 or 310 as it duplicates them mostly.

The primary flows for these services are:
306 - Newcastle -> Billy Mill -> North Shields -> Tynemouth
308 - Newcastle -> Billy Mill -> Rake Lane -> Whitley -> S. Sluice -> Blyth
309 - Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Cobalt | Cobalt -> Rake Lane -> Whitley -> S. Sluice -> Blyth
310 - Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Cobalt -> Verne Road -> North Shields
311 - Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Hadrian Park

The fact they happen to travel along the Coast Road is because it's the quickest way to the outlier places. Once you start butchering the outlier places the Coast Road part becomes irrelavant and you've got a pointless bus route hence why the 57/58 got scrapped as it carried fresh air most the day. If there really is such an issue with these services ditch the hungry deckers and replace them with singles before starting to butcher the routes further again.
Storx
16 Apr 2020, 6:07 pm #742

(16 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm)L469 YVK You've got to remember that there will likely (although 100% certain) be a lot of changes to people's travel patterns post C19 for various reasons. Bus operators (not just GNE) will need to likely adapt to that and change their services to reflect the shift in travel patterns.

The 306 and 308 wont be getting reduced though, they're 2 of their flagship routes and nothing has changed to make them lose customers and also reducing the 306 wouldn't work because of the 30 minute extension to Whitley. They've been every 15 minutes forever and there's no competition changes to negatively impact them if anything they'll have gained from GNE dropping theirs to every 20 minutes. Not to mention the fact that everytime Arriva put singles on the 308 they struggle heavily at peak times after promising numerous times they wont.

The problem with the Coast Road and GNE is the 1 (Stagecoach) and 22 extension as now anyone from the West End no longer has to purchase seperate tickets to travel to Cobalt (the main purpose of the 309/310). Reducing the 309 and 310 on the extreme services will just kill them completely. No-one in their right mind would pay more for a less frequent service which takes longer regardless to whether it has folding seats or whatever. 4 buses an hour vs 2 buses an hour is a killer and with the 22 and 1 eating away at Cobalt, you've got a bit of a pointless bus route. If anything is going to go it'll be the 311 not the 309 or 310 as it duplicates them mostly.

The primary flows for these services are:
306 - Newcastle -> Billy Mill -> North Shields -> Tynemouth
308 - Newcastle -> Billy Mill -> Rake Lane -> Whitley -> S. Sluice -> Blyth
309 - Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Cobalt | Cobalt -> Rake Lane -> Whitley -> S. Sluice -> Blyth
310 - Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Cobalt -> Verne Road -> North Shields
311 - Newcastle -> Battle Hill -> Hadrian Park

The fact they happen to travel along the Coast Road is because it's the quickest way to the outlier places. Once you start butchering the outlier places the Coast Road part becomes irrelavant and you've got a pointless bus route hence why the 57/58 got scrapped as it carried fresh air most the day. If there really is such an issue with these services ditch the hungry deckers and replace them with singles before starting to butcher the routes further again.

Andreos1

16 Apr 2020, 8:49 pm #743

I think it will be a good while after the lockdown ends before operators start making sweeping changes based on choice, rather than neccessity.

Trends and patterns will need to be analysed over a period of time.
Assuming the lockdown period happens to end prior to the summer holiday period; factory shut-downs, schools returning - any analysis would be skewed.

If it continues over the summer, but ends prior to Christmas, again passenger data could be skewed. An increased demand prior to Christmas could be totally misleading come the New Year.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Apr 2020, 8:49 pm #743

I think it will be a good while after the lockdown ends before operators start making sweeping changes based on choice, rather than neccessity.

Trends and patterns will need to be analysed over a period of time.
Assuming the lockdown period happens to end prior to the summer holiday period; factory shut-downs, schools returning - any analysis would be skewed.

If it continues over the summer, but ends prior to Christmas, again passenger data could be skewed. An increased demand prior to Christmas could be totally misleading come the New Year.

Ambassador

17 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm #744
The 26/27.

Currently it takes (accounting for traffic) around 45 minutes from Hebburn to Newcastle.

I know in the past an X27 was trialled (and failed) simply because when it's working - the Metro is the only logical option to commute or use for leisure into Newcastle and the Gateshead suburbs,

There are small improvements you could make. If you ran either the 26 or 27 direct from Hebburn Fire Station through Victoria Road East and rejoin the route as is at Station Road you'd shave a decent chunk of time off whilst still leaving Monkton Lane with the 9 or the alternative 26/7.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
17 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm #744

The 26/27.

Currently it takes (accounting for traffic) around 45 minutes from Hebburn to Newcastle.

I know in the past an X27 was trialled (and failed) simply because when it's working - the Metro is the only logical option to commute or use for leisure into Newcastle and the Gateshead suburbs,

There are small improvements you could make. If you ran either the 26 or 27 direct from Hebburn Fire Station through Victoria Road East and rejoin the route as is at Station Road you'd shave a decent chunk of time off whilst still leaving Monkton Lane with the 9 or the alternative 26/7.

17 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm #745
(17 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm)Ambassador The 26/27.

It's a logical choice assuming you have a ticket that allows you to travel on the Metro (which, granted, most people who live in that area would opt for)

I would personally prefer to take the bus rather than the Metro, even if it does take well over an hour. Things might change when they get the new trains
streetdeckfan
17 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm #745

(17 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm)Ambassador The 26/27.

It's a logical choice assuming you have a ticket that allows you to travel on the Metro (which, granted, most people who live in that area would opt for)

I would personally prefer to take the bus rather than the Metro, even if it does take well over an hour. Things might change when they get the new trains

JP6004

17 Apr 2020, 12:34 pm #746
(17 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm)streetdeckfan It's a logical choice assuming you have a ticket that allows you to travel on the Metro (which, granted, most people who live in that area would opt for)

Isnt that the route the old 27 or 27A took?
JP6004
17 Apr 2020, 12:34 pm #746

(17 Apr 2020, 12:27 pm)streetdeckfan It's a logical choice assuming you have a ticket that allows you to travel on the Metro (which, granted, most people who live in that area would opt for)

Isnt that the route the old 27 or 27A took?

Ambassador

17 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm #747

There speaks an enthusiast and not a realist. It's a logical choice regardless really.

People don't have the time or in the inclination to sit on a bus for 45 minutes when they could stand for 13 minutes and be in the city centre.

Ambassador
17 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm #747

There speaks an enthusiast and not a realist. It's a logical choice regardless really.

People don't have the time or in the inclination to sit on a bus for 45 minutes when they could stand for 13 minutes and be in the city centre.

17 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm #748
(17 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm)Ambassador There speaks an enthusiast and not a realist. It's a logical choice regardless really.

It's logical, unless you don't have the extra £5 to spend on another ticket to save the time!
streetdeckfan
17 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm #748

(17 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm)Ambassador There speaks an enthusiast and not a realist. It's a logical choice regardless really.

It's logical, unless you don't have the extra £5 to spend on another ticket to save the time!

Andreos1

17 Apr 2020, 4:01 pm #749
Borne out of the discussion in the GNE latest thread and the will it/won't it 14/X22 conversation, I started to think about merging the two.

X22 as it is from Metrocentre to Plawsworth Red Lion - Sacriston Cross Roads - Fyndoune - current 13 route to Durham - Nevilles Cross - fast to Langley Park via A167/A691 and Witton Gilbert.
13 will no longer operate. 

14 - to continue current route and frequency. 

All connections maintained and new options opened up. 
I've not played about with timetables just yet.

Andreos1
17 Apr 2020, 4:01 pm #749

Borne out of the discussion in the GNE latest thread and the will it/won't it 14/X22 conversation, I started to think about merging the two.

X22 as it is from Metrocentre to Plawsworth Red Lion - Sacriston Cross Roads - Fyndoune - current 13 route to Durham - Nevilles Cross - fast to Langley Park via A167/A691 and Witton Gilbert.

17 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm #750
(17 Apr 2020, 4:01 pm)Andreos1 Borne out of the discussion in the GNE latest thread and the will it/won't it 14/X22 conversation, I started to think about merging the two.

Issue with that is it may then be faster to take the X21 then the X66 which would then defeat the purpose of the X22.
There's not much difference in it as it is (as long as you get lucky with the connections)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
17 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm #750

(17 Apr 2020, 4:01 pm)Andreos1 Borne out of the discussion in the GNE latest thread and the will it/won't it 14/X22 conversation, I started to think about merging the two.

Issue with that is it may then be faster to take the X21 then the X66 which would then defeat the purpose of the X22.
There's not much difference in it as it is (as long as you get lucky with the connections)

Andreos1

17 Apr 2020, 4:20 pm #751
(17 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm)streetdeckfan Issue with that is it may then be faster to take the X21 then the X66 which would then defeat the purpose of the X22.

Faster for who on the X21/X66? 
The people from Langley Park? Witton Gilbert? Sacriston? Chester? Birtley? Or just those getting on/off in Durham city centre?

Andreos1
17 Apr 2020, 4:20 pm #751

(17 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm)streetdeckfan Issue with that is it may then be faster to take the X21 then the X66 which would then defeat the purpose of the X22.

Faster for who on the X21/X66? 
The people from Langley Park? Witton Gilbert? Sacriston? Chester? Birtley? Or just those getting on/off in Durham city centre?

17 Apr 2020, 4:37 pm #752
(17 Apr 2020, 4:20 pm)Andreos1 Faster for who on the X21/X66? 

Since I don't have a copy of the current X22 timetable saved and GNE have decided to remove it from their website I can't get the exact timings, but from memory it takes about 50 minutes to get from Durham to Metrocentre on the X22, and on the X21 and X66 (if you get lucky) it takes about an hour. So that's only 10 minutes difference.

From CLS, it takes about half an hour on the X22 and 45 minutes on the X21/X66, so if you're travelling from south of Plawsworth it'll be faster X21/X66. And since the X22 would then no longer serve Fram or Pity Me, they would lose a direct connection to Metrocentre.

Obviously with the part north of Plawsworth being unchanged, the X22 would continue to be faster, although with the X21 and X66 being more frequent, depending on when you're leaving it may be faster up to CLS.
streetdeckfan
17 Apr 2020, 4:37 pm #752

(17 Apr 2020, 4:20 pm)Andreos1 Faster for who on the X21/X66? 

Since I don't have a copy of the current X22 timetable saved and GNE have decided to remove it from their website I can't get the exact timings, but from memory it takes about 50 minutes to get from Durham to Metrocentre on the X22, and on the X21 and X66 (if you get lucky) it takes about an hour. So that's only 10 minutes difference.

From CLS, it takes about half an hour on the X22 and 45 minutes on the X21/X66, so if you're travelling from south of Plawsworth it'll be faster X21/X66. And since the X22 would then no longer serve Fram or Pity Me, they would lose a direct connection to Metrocentre.

Obviously with the part north of Plawsworth being unchanged, the X22 would continue to be faster, although with the X21 and X66 being more frequent, depending on when you're leaving it may be faster up to CLS.

17 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm #753
The 14 may well be combined with an express service when this is all over, just not the X22. Who knows when it'll happen now though.
deanmachine
17 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm #753

The 14 may well be combined with an express service when this is all over, just not the X22. Who knows when it'll happen now though.

17 Apr 2020, 5:32 pm #754
(17 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm)deanmachine The 14 may well be combined with an express service when this is all over, just not the X22. Who knows when it'll happen now though.

I feel like at this point the 14 may as well be combined with the 21 since it's already been, for the most part any way, replaced by the X21.
streetdeckfan
17 Apr 2020, 5:32 pm #754

(17 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm)deanmachine The 14 may well be combined with an express service when this is all over, just not the X22. Who knows when it'll happen now though.

I feel like at this point the 14 may as well be combined with the 21 since it's already been, for the most part any way, replaced by the X21.

Jimmi

17 Apr 2020, 6:42 pm #755

A slightly different take that I've just thought of:

13 - remain as is
14 - withdrawn
21 - from Plawsworth divert via Nettlesworth and Scriston rather than A167 & Pity Me to reach Uni Hospital

Cons to my suggestions are:
the loss of a link to the Arnison Centre from Sacriston etc and leaving Kimblesworth with no bus.
Reduction in services between Framwellgate Moor and Plawsworth.

Realistically the X22 & X88 could be interworked no problem at all really on a Saturday at least
Jimmi
17 Apr 2020, 6:42 pm #755

A slightly different take that I've just thought of:

13 - remain as is
14 - withdrawn
21 - from Plawsworth divert via Nettlesworth and Scriston rather than A167 & Pity Me to reach Uni Hospital

the loss of a link to the Arnison Centre from Sacriston etc and leaving Kimblesworth with no bus.

Realistically the X22 & X88 could be interworked no problem at all really on a Saturday at least

V514DFT

17 Apr 2020, 8:00 pm #756
Might do the 14 what they did to the 15,but cant really comment as im not from the area

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
17 Apr 2020, 8:00 pm #756

Might do the 14 what they did to the 15,but cant really comment as im not from the area

Kind Regards
Tez

BusLoverMum

17 Apr 2020, 10:50 pm #757
(17 Apr 2020, 4:37 pm)streetdeckfan Since I don't have a copy of the current X22 timetable saved and GNE have decided to remove it from their website I can't get the exact timings, but from memory it takes about 50 minutes to get from Durham to Metrocentre on the X22, and on the X21 and X66 (if you get lucky) it takes about an hour. So that's only 10 minutes difference.

Yep, pre CV, it was nice to get the X22 but if I wasn't ready at the right point of the hour, I wouldn't go out of my way for it. (almost definitely why Arriva's X24 died a death, being only every other hour - I didn't even go out of my way to link to it from deepest arrivaland)

(17 Apr 2020, 6:42 pm)Jimmi A slightly different take that I've just thought of:

13 - remain as is
14 - withdrawn

There's always a decent crowd waiting for the 14 both ways at Arnison.
Edited 17 Apr 2020, 10:54 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
17 Apr 2020, 10:50 pm #757

(17 Apr 2020, 4:37 pm)streetdeckfan Since I don't have a copy of the current X22 timetable saved and GNE have decided to remove it from their website I can't get the exact timings, but from memory it takes about 50 minutes to get from Durham to Metrocentre on the X22, and on the X21 and X66 (if you get lucky) it takes about an hour. So that's only 10 minutes difference.

Yep, pre CV, it was nice to get the X22 but if I wasn't ready at the right point of the hour, I wouldn't go out of my way for it. (almost definitely why Arriva's X24 died a death, being only every other hour - I didn't even go out of my way to link to it from deepest arrivaland)

(17 Apr 2020, 6:42 pm)Jimmi A slightly different take that I've just thought of:

13 - remain as is
14 - withdrawn

There's always a decent crowd waiting for the 14 both ways at Arnison.

Andreos1

18 Apr 2020, 10:03 am #758

To be honest, I forgot about the Pity Me/Fram bit.
However, I would argue that mile or so is more than adequately covered with the 21 and X21. I obviously don't have passenger data, but from experience I would think the X22 is the least used of the current Tyneside bound services on this stretch.

Andreos1
18 Apr 2020, 10:03 am #758

To be honest, I forgot about the Pity Me/Fram bit.
However, I would argue that mile or so is more than adequately covered with the 21 and X21. I obviously don't have passenger data, but from experience I would think the X22 is the least used of the current Tyneside bound services on this stretch.

18 Apr 2020, 10:07 am #759
(18 Apr 2020, 10:03 am)Andreos1 To be honest, I forgot about the Pity Me/Fram bit.

From my experience it's the same, once it gets past Birtley there's usually no bugger left!

Very few people seem to get it from Durham either, from what I've seen people just use it when a 21 isn't due

streetdeckfan
18 Apr 2020, 10:07 am #759

(18 Apr 2020, 10:03 am)Andreos1 To be honest, I forgot about the Pity Me/Fram bit.

From my experience it's the same, once it gets past Birtley there's usually no bugger left!

Very few people seem to get it from Durham either, from what I've seen people just use it when a 21 isn't due

Andreos1

18 Apr 2020, 10:25 am #760
(18 Apr 2020, 10:07 am)streetdeckfan From my experience it's the same, once it gets past Birtley there's usually no bugger left!

Hence some of the thinking in my suggestion. 

It's weak south of Birtley/Chester and I think the changes could assist in increasing revenues for very little additional outlay and see possible cost savings at the same time.

Andreos1
18 Apr 2020, 10:25 am #760

(18 Apr 2020, 10:07 am)streetdeckfan From my experience it's the same, once it gets past Birtley there's usually no bugger left!

Hence some of the thinking in my suggestion. 

It's weak south of Birtley/Chester and I think the changes could assist in increasing revenues for very little additional outlay and see possible cost savings at the same time.

Pages (150) Previous 137 38 39150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average