Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (35) Previous 116 17 1835 Next
14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm #321
(14 Aug 2016, 8:47 pm)citaro5284 Use to love the 343 all the way to Morpeth from Whitley Bay.....it was like a day trip as they use to put Leyland Leopards on it as well.

I used to have the 524 to Bolden Asda using anything from a MPD to a Olympian, 527 to Newcastle Pilgrim Street ( Then changed to the 57 and was cut back to Wardley a few years after that ) Using Optare Excels and Volvo B10BLEs later using the Scania L94UBs.
528 to South Shields and Monkton Lane, The home of the Cadets when new, And the 544 which went to Jarrow and Horsley Hill using the Ceatano Compass bodied Darts.

I now have only the 88/88A with them dreaded Versa's, My link to Bolden Asda is in the form of a non-recognisable TaxiBus with the last one from the Asda being at 16:33.
No direct bus to Heworth or Newcastle City Centre, And no bus to Horsley Hill which for me would come in extremely handy if it was still here today.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm #321

(14 Aug 2016, 8:47 pm)citaro5284 Use to love the 343 all the way to Morpeth from Whitley Bay.....it was like a day trip as they use to put Leyland Leopards on it as well.

I used to have the 524 to Bolden Asda using anything from a MPD to a Olympian, 527 to Newcastle Pilgrim Street ( Then changed to the 57 and was cut back to Wardley a few years after that ) Using Optare Excels and Volvo B10BLEs later using the Scania L94UBs.
528 to South Shields and Monkton Lane, The home of the Cadets when new, And the 544 which went to Jarrow and Horsley Hill using the Ceatano Compass bodied Darts.

I now have only the 88/88A with them dreaded Versa's, My link to Bolden Asda is in the form of a non-recognisable TaxiBus with the last one from the Asda being at 16:33.
No direct bus to Heworth or Newcastle City Centre, And no bus to Horsley Hill which for me would come in extremely handy if it was still here today.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

V514DFT

14 Aug 2016, 10:16 pm #322

I remember the metroriders,later replaced by darts on 343 and 344 and 355 until the renowns entered service(i was 6 then) on 355,there was a frequent bus to Killingworth and Whitley,it was absolutely terrific
V514DFT
14 Aug 2016, 10:16 pm #322

I remember the metroriders,later replaced by darts on 343 and 344 and 355 until the renowns entered service(i was 6 then) on 355,there was a frequent bus to Killingworth and Whitley,it was absolutely terrific

15 Aug 2016, 1:13 am #323
(14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm)South Tyne Lad  And the 544 which went to Jarrow and Horsley Hill using the Ceatano Compass bodied Darts.

If you go back to 2006 the 544 was Heworth / Horsley Hill.  South Leam / Brock also had the 542 Jarrow / Boldon Asda which was very handy, and for a limited time the A5 free Asda bus operated by Stagecoach which normally produced 16432. Nowt exotic like that running around these parts anymore.
alibill_36
15 Aug 2016, 1:13 am #323

(14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm)South Tyne Lad  And the 544 which went to Jarrow and Horsley Hill using the Ceatano Compass bodied Darts.

If you go back to 2006 the 544 was Heworth / Horsley Hill.  South Leam / Brock also had the 542 Jarrow / Boldon Asda which was very handy, and for a limited time the A5 free Asda bus operated by Stagecoach which normally produced 16432. Nowt exotic like that running around these parts anymore.

15 Aug 2016, 3:08 am #324
(14 Aug 2016, 8:08 am)GX03 SVC Confusion?! 

If I got refused on a bus because my multi-operator ticket was printed on another operator's ticket stock I'd ask them what would does their multi-operator ticket look like...

Surely, they'd know what CAT, Explorer, Rover are..........and what they're valid on. 

And with GNE, would a quick call through to Control do much harm asking if it's valid or not? Instead, the driver threatened the passenger with refusal of boarding the vehicle the next time he sees them...

Rolleyes

As aforementioned in the post I made, to which you replied, I stated that bus drivers at Chester-le-Street generally expect to receive a bus ticket when a customer shows a previously purchased ticket to travel, and not a Metro ticket. Irrespective of the validity. At no point did I say that the driver was right for doing what he did, I merely attempted to explain how confusion may have arisen and the subsequent dispute came to fruition. Drivers are not robots; they can and will make errors, just like any other human beings, and it's clear that in this instance, the driver was adamant that South Tyne Lad's ticket was not valid for travel, on the basis that it was a ticket that he'd purchased at a Tyne & Wear Metro station.

I've no doubt that drivers are well aware of what the Nexus CAT, North East Explorer and any other multi-operator tickets are valid for travel on, but on this occasion, the driver was of the understanding that the ticket was invalid for travel. Regardless of the validity of the ticket, drivers at Chester-le-Street will generally see more Nexus CATs printed on bus ticket rolls than produced from ticket machines on the Tyne & Wear Metro. As will be the case at other depots based in County Durham, and not in Tyne & Wear.

At the end of the day, he was permitted travel. And the rather idle ''threat'', if it can really be called that, of not being permitted to travel in a future instance of having the passenger on board his vehicle (which, for the record, is incredibly unlikely to happen. The chances of the driver seeing South Tyne Lad in the future and recognising him as the person he nearly refused travel for attempting to board with what he thought was an invalid ticket, is very slim indeed) is nothing to lose sleep over.

Let's move on, and not clog up a key news thread with this. Nothing more to say on the matter.
Edited 15 Aug 2016, 3:00 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
15 Aug 2016, 3:08 am #324

(14 Aug 2016, 8:08 am)GX03 SVC Confusion?! 

If I got refused on a bus because my multi-operator ticket was printed on another operator's ticket stock I'd ask them what would does their multi-operator ticket look like...

Surely, they'd know what CAT, Explorer, Rover are..........and what they're valid on. 

And with GNE, would a quick call through to Control do much harm asking if it's valid or not? Instead, the driver threatened the passenger with refusal of boarding the vehicle the next time he sees them...

Rolleyes

As aforementioned in the post I made, to which you replied, I stated that bus drivers at Chester-le-Street generally expect to receive a bus ticket when a customer shows a previously purchased ticket to travel, and not a Metro ticket. Irrespective of the validity. At no point did I say that the driver was right for doing what he did, I merely attempted to explain how confusion may have arisen and the subsequent dispute came to fruition. Drivers are not robots; they can and will make errors, just like any other human beings, and it's clear that in this instance, the driver was adamant that South Tyne Lad's ticket was not valid for travel, on the basis that it was a ticket that he'd purchased at a Tyne & Wear Metro station.

I've no doubt that drivers are well aware of what the Nexus CAT, North East Explorer and any other multi-operator tickets are valid for travel on, but on this occasion, the driver was of the understanding that the ticket was invalid for travel. Regardless of the validity of the ticket, drivers at Chester-le-Street will generally see more Nexus CATs printed on bus ticket rolls than produced from ticket machines on the Tyne & Wear Metro. As will be the case at other depots based in County Durham, and not in Tyne & Wear.

At the end of the day, he was permitted travel. And the rather idle ''threat'', if it can really be called that, of not being permitted to travel in a future instance of having the passenger on board his vehicle (which, for the record, is incredibly unlikely to happen. The chances of the driver seeing South Tyne Lad in the future and recognising him as the person he nearly refused travel for attempting to board with what he thought was an invalid ticket, is very slim indeed) is nothing to lose sleep over.

Let's move on, and not clog up a key news thread with this. Nothing more to say on the matter.

Andreos1

15 Aug 2016, 8:44 am #325
(15 Aug 2016, 1:13 am)alibill_36 If you go back to 2006 the 544 was Heworth / Horsley Hill.  South Leam / Brock also had the 542 Jarrow / Boldon Asda which was very handy, and for a limited time the A5 free Asda bus operated by Stagecoach which normally produced 16432. Nowt exotic like that running around these parts anymore.

I remember way back, when Wear Buses had the Asda Boldon bus. They generally used an ECW Olympian on it.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Aug 2016, 8:44 am #325

(15 Aug 2016, 1:13 am)alibill_36 If you go back to 2006 the 544 was Heworth / Horsley Hill.  South Leam / Brock also had the 542 Jarrow / Boldon Asda which was very handy, and for a limited time the A5 free Asda bus operated by Stagecoach which normally produced 16432. Nowt exotic like that running around these parts anymore.

I remember way back, when Wear Buses had the Asda Boldon bus. They generally used an ECW Olympian on it.

15 Aug 2016, 9:02 am #326
(15 Aug 2016, 3:08 am)R852 PRG Rolleyes

At the end of the day, he was permitted travel. And the rather idle ''threat'', if it can really be called that, of not being permitted to travel in a future instance of having the passenger on board his vehicle (which, for the record, is incredibly unlikely to happen. The chances of the driver seeing South Tyne Lad in the future and recognising him as the person he nearly refused travel for attempting to bought with what he thought was an invalid ticket, is very slim indeed) is nothing to lose sleep over.

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

If drivers expect a bus ticket, tell me how I always either get a dirty look or refused entry when I show my Arriva-issued Explorer when I board a GNE bus?!
omnicity4659
15 Aug 2016, 9:02 am #326

(15 Aug 2016, 3:08 am)R852 PRG Rolleyes

At the end of the day, he was permitted travel. And the rather idle ''threat'', if it can really be called that, of not being permitted to travel in a future instance of having the passenger on board his vehicle (which, for the record, is incredibly unlikely to happen. The chances of the driver seeing South Tyne Lad in the future and recognising him as the person he nearly refused travel for attempting to bought with what he thought was an invalid ticket, is very slim indeed) is nothing to lose sleep over.

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

If drivers expect a bus ticket, tell me how I always either get a dirty look or refused entry when I show my Arriva-issued Explorer when I board a GNE bus?!

jeffman

15 Aug 2016, 9:22 am #327
(15 Aug 2016, 9:02 am)GX03 SVC Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

You have to appreciate the scope of travel here. I will see a GNE ticket 99% of the time being handed to me; 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. I know where to look for the validity and date, and anything abnormal will stand out. You hand me an Arriva Ticket (I've had two in a year) and I need to refocus on the date, validity etc, which are all in a different place to how I expect it. That's the confusion, and it takes time to scan it with my eyes as I'm not used to seeing them.

Hand me a Metro ticket, and it needs really checking. You would not believe the amount of people who will try and board with a Metro-only ticket.

Then I may get an Explorer issued by Weardale or another independent; all with the correct info, but not what I'm used to.

Its a bit like writing in a diary all year, then in the last week the days on the page are printed the wrong way round. Would you just carry on regardless, or take a second to scan the page, find out where you should be writing and adapt?

Bear in mind that if a driver allows you travel on something that doesn't look right, and an inspector gets on, hes potentially in trouble. Hes going to check every ticket, to ultimately protect his job.
jeffman
15 Aug 2016, 9:22 am #327

(15 Aug 2016, 9:02 am)GX03 SVC Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

You have to appreciate the scope of travel here. I will see a GNE ticket 99% of the time being handed to me; 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. I know where to look for the validity and date, and anything abnormal will stand out. You hand me an Arriva Ticket (I've had two in a year) and I need to refocus on the date, validity etc, which are all in a different place to how I expect it. That's the confusion, and it takes time to scan it with my eyes as I'm not used to seeing them.

Hand me a Metro ticket, and it needs really checking. You would not believe the amount of people who will try and board with a Metro-only ticket.

Then I may get an Explorer issued by Weardale or another independent; all with the correct info, but not what I'm used to.

Its a bit like writing in a diary all year, then in the last week the days on the page are printed the wrong way round. Would you just carry on regardless, or take a second to scan the page, find out where you should be writing and adapt?

Bear in mind that if a driver allows you travel on something that doesn't look right, and an inspector gets on, hes potentially in trouble. Hes going to check every ticket, to ultimately protect his job.

15 Aug 2016, 10:02 am #328
jeffman has hit the nail on the head, imo. Drivers may not be feeling p*ssed off you've boarded with another operator's ticket but are merely trying to make sure it is valid. Even if a driver does look at you in a dodgy way I wouldn't let it bother you...!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
15 Aug 2016, 10:02 am #328

jeffman has hit the nail on the head, imo. Drivers may not be feeling p*ssed off you've boarded with another operator's ticket but are merely trying to make sure it is valid. Even if a driver does look at you in a dodgy way I wouldn't let it bother you...!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

L469 YVK

15 Aug 2016, 3:44 pm #329
(14 Aug 2016, 10:16 pm)V514DFT I remember the metroriders,later replaced by darts on 343 and 344 and 355 until the renowns entered service(i was 6 then) on 355,there was a frequent bus to Killingworth and Whitley,it was absolutely terrific

And don't forget the good old 44! No traffic jams, slip roads or anything, just like s***e of a shovel up and down the Coast Road to and from the Town. Off peak loadings average but peak time + loads on Saturday mornings were cracking!
L469 YVK
15 Aug 2016, 3:44 pm #329

(14 Aug 2016, 10:16 pm)V514DFT I remember the metroriders,later replaced by darts on 343 and 344 and 355 until the renowns entered service(i was 6 then) on 355,there was a frequent bus to Killingworth and Whitley,it was absolutely terrific

And don't forget the good old 44! No traffic jams, slip roads or anything, just like s***e of a shovel up and down the Coast Road to and from the Town. Off peak loadings average but peak time + loads on Saturday mornings were cracking!

V514DFT

15 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm #330
(15 Aug 2016, 3:44 pm)L469 YVK And don't forget the good old 44! No traffic jams, slip roads or anything, just like s***e of a shovel up and down the Coast Road to and from the Town. Off peak loadings average but peak time + loads on Saturday mornings were cracking!

I never really got to use the 44,i used it once and found it excellent,its amazing when you look at now compared to 10 years ago,even dudley is missing out in a way yeah they have the 43 which is every 15 mins But 10 years ago they had the 40,41 42/42A/42B,43/43A/43B and a gne bargain bus but not sure which one
V514DFT
15 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm #330

(15 Aug 2016, 3:44 pm)L469 YVK And don't forget the good old 44! No traffic jams, slip roads or anything, just like s***e of a shovel up and down the Coast Road to and from the Town. Off peak loadings average but peak time + loads on Saturday mornings were cracking!

I never really got to use the 44,i used it once and found it excellent,its amazing when you look at now compared to 10 years ago,even dudley is missing out in a way yeah they have the 43 which is every 15 mins But 10 years ago they had the 40,41 42/42A/42B,43/43A/43B and a gne bargain bus but not sure which one

Morgandee12

Unregistered

15 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm #331
Just seen the 5287 on the x25. is this for temporary or one off
Morgandee12
15 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm #331

Just seen the 5287 on the x25. is this for temporary or one off

Jamie M

Unregistered

15 Aug 2016, 5:28 pm #332
(15 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm)Morgandee12 Just seen the 5287 on the x25. is this for temporary or one off
This a Durham Diamond?
Jamie M
15 Aug 2016, 5:28 pm #332

(15 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm)Morgandee12 Just seen the 5287 on the x25. is this for temporary or one off
This a Durham Diamond?

citaro5284

15 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm #333

One off....likewise Chester have borrowed 3814 this afternoon as well.
citaro5284
15 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm #333

One off....likewise Chester have borrowed 3814 this afternoon as well.

Andreos1

15 Aug 2016, 5:34 pm #334
(15 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm)citaro5284 One off....likewise Chester have borrowed 3814 this afternoon as well.

Saw that coming off the A1 at Team Valley this afternoon. Did wonder why.

Andreos1
15 Aug 2016, 5:34 pm #334

(15 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm)citaro5284 One off....likewise Chester have borrowed 3814 this afternoon as well.

Saw that coming off the A1 at Team Valley this afternoon. Did wonder why.

S813 FVK

15 Aug 2016, 5:41 pm #335

while 5170 is on Durham diamonds
S813 FVK
15 Aug 2016, 5:41 pm #335

while 5170 is on Durham diamonds

cbma06

15 Aug 2016, 5:46 pm #336
(14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm)South Tyne Lad I used to have the 524 to Bolden Asda using anything from a MPD to a Olympian, 527 to Newcastle Pilgrim Street ( Then changed to the 57 and was cut back to Wardley a few years after that ) Using Optare Excels and Volvo B10BLEs later using the Scania L94UBs.

do you mean 534?.

cbma06
15 Aug 2016, 5:46 pm #336

(14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm)South Tyne Lad I used to have the 524 to Bolden Asda using anything from a MPD to a Olympian, 527 to Newcastle Pilgrim Street ( Then changed to the 57 and was cut back to Wardley a few years after that ) Using Optare Excels and Volvo B10BLEs later using the Scania L94UBs.

do you mean 534?.

15 Aug 2016, 5:53 pm #337

Are these just really quick loans to alleviate shortages or will they be out again tommorow (be glad when Chester-le-Street get more omnidekkas )

Best bus ever
biglugs@yahoo.com
15 Aug 2016, 5:53 pm #337

Are these just really quick loans to alleviate shortages or will they be out again tommorow (be glad when Chester-le-Street get more omnidekkas )

Best bus ever

big mac

15 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm #338
(15 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm)V514DFT I never really got to use the 44,i used it once and found it excellent,its amazing when you look at now compared to 10 years ago,even dudley is missing out in a way yeah they have the 43 which is every 15 mins But 10 years ago they had the 40,41 42/42A/42B,43/43A/43B and a gne bargain bus but not sure which one

It's amazing how few direct links there are now in all areas of the North east compared to 10-20 years ago.   In low fell you used to be able to go to all sorts of places like Washington, Sunderland, Darlington,  Crook, Hartlepool etc.  Now it's basically Durham and not much else.
big mac
15 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm #338

(15 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm)V514DFT I never really got to use the 44,i used it once and found it excellent,its amazing when you look at now compared to 10 years ago,even dudley is missing out in a way yeah they have the 43 which is every 15 mins But 10 years ago they had the 40,41 42/42A/42B,43/43A/43B and a gne bargain bus but not sure which one

It's amazing how few direct links there are now in all areas of the North east compared to 10-20 years ago.   In low fell you used to be able to go to all sorts of places like Washington, Sunderland, Darlington,  Crook, Hartlepool etc.  Now it's basically Durham and not much else.

Jamie M

Unregistered

15 Aug 2016, 7:08 pm #339
(15 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm)big mac It's amazing how few direct links there are now in all areas of the North east compared to 10-20 years ago.   In low fell you used to be able to go to all sorts of places like Washington, Sunderland, Darlington,  Crook, Hartlepool etc.  Now it's basically Durham and not much else.
Costa Del Easington, probably has more links - but there's no surprises there.
Jamie M
15 Aug 2016, 7:08 pm #339

(15 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm)big mac It's amazing how few direct links there are now in all areas of the North east compared to 10-20 years ago.   In low fell you used to be able to go to all sorts of places like Washington, Sunderland, Darlington,  Crook, Hartlepool etc.  Now it's basically Durham and not much else.
Costa Del Easington, probably has more links - but there's no surprises there.

JP6004

15 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm #340
(15 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm)big mac It's amazing how few direct links there are now in all areas of the North east compared to 10-20 years ago.   In low fell you used to be able to go to all sorts of places like Washington, Sunderland, Darlington,  Crook, Hartlepool etc.  Now it's basically Durham and not much else.

To be fair, how many people want to go to Hartlepool  Tongue
JP6004
15 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm #340

(15 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm)big mac It's amazing how few direct links there are now in all areas of the North east compared to 10-20 years ago.   In low fell you used to be able to go to all sorts of places like Washington, Sunderland, Darlington,  Crook, Hartlepool etc.  Now it's basically Durham and not much else.

To be fair, how many people want to go to Hartlepool  Tongue

Pages (35) Previous 116 17 1835 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average