Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (32) Previous 1 2 3 432 Next
S813 FVK

01 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm #41
(01 Sep 2016, 8:00 pm)South Tyne Lad The depot is quite a wasted asset in my opinion and would possibly would make more use of it if evenings and Sunday's were on the weekday daytime X21 route.

Storing and driving buses from Crook to Bishop Auckland NIS every day would cost a lot less than running NIS from Chester-le-Street.
S813 FVK
01 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm #41

(01 Sep 2016, 8:00 pm)South Tyne Lad The depot is quite a wasted asset in my opinion and would possibly would make more use of it if evenings and Sunday's were on the weekday daytime X21 route.

Storing and driving buses from Crook to Bishop Auckland NIS every day would cost a lot less than running NIS from Chester-le-Street.

01 Sep 2016, 8:13 pm #42
(01 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm)S813 FVK Storing and driving buses from Crook to Bishop Auckland NIS every day would cost a lot less than running NIS from Chester-le-Street.

Indeed it would, I didn't mention any depot by accident and I was meant to put crook

It would use current weekday allocation of Streetdecks running hourly instead of half hourly aswell as running the full weekday daytime route.

Apologies
Edited 01 Sep 2016, 8:14 pm by South Tyne Lad.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
01 Sep 2016, 8:13 pm #42

(01 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm)S813 FVK Storing and driving buses from Crook to Bishop Auckland NIS every day would cost a lot less than running NIS from Chester-le-Street.

Indeed it would, I didn't mention any depot by accident and I was meant to put crook

It would use current weekday allocation of Streetdecks running hourly instead of half hourly aswell as running the full weekday daytime route.

Apologies

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

pdiddy

01 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm #43
(01 Sep 2016, 5:55 am)Dan Actually, the PVR was always 7 (even prior to the new vehicles being ordered). Previously it was done to accommodate an extra journey on the X21, and if my memory serves, it was related to Bishop Auckland College. I'm sure pdiddy will be able to recall.

The PVR was always intended to go to 7 during the day too with extra layover planned as well as extra running time. A spare vehicle wasn't ordered at any point. A multi-million pound company can't make decisions just like that at the drop of a hat!

The StreetDecks are some of the most reliable buses in the fleet and as I'm sure pdiddy will agree, there's only been a handful of times since they were launched where one has been VOR for a mechanical reason meaning another bus had to deputise all day. The majority of the time, they're pulled off for a journey or two so people like me can carry out repairs! This is always done off-peak, and usually between Chester-le-Street and Newcastle, in order to reduce the amount of time older vehicles spend on daytime service X21 runs. It'll happen again today, as I need to see 6301 this morning!

Yes the PVR was seven... as the 7th used to do Spennymoor to Framwellgate Moor college . Which later was given to Chester , then the 7th bbs did Durham to Bishop College. 

And YES the streetdecker (NOT streetdeckers eh Citaro) have been very reliable, in 3 month we've only had 1 problem on route which has resulted in lost mileage. 

Most of the drivers were sceptical, having heard bad reports about Streetlights. But the streetdeck has proved very reliable and all the drivers like them. 

Ps Just need shot of 571 and 572 now  Angel
pdiddy
01 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm #43

(01 Sep 2016, 5:55 am)Dan Actually, the PVR was always 7 (even prior to the new vehicles being ordered). Previously it was done to accommodate an extra journey on the X21, and if my memory serves, it was related to Bishop Auckland College. I'm sure pdiddy will be able to recall.

The PVR was always intended to go to 7 during the day too with extra layover planned as well as extra running time. A spare vehicle wasn't ordered at any point. A multi-million pound company can't make decisions just like that at the drop of a hat!

The StreetDecks are some of the most reliable buses in the fleet and as I'm sure pdiddy will agree, there's only been a handful of times since they were launched where one has been VOR for a mechanical reason meaning another bus had to deputise all day. The majority of the time, they're pulled off for a journey or two so people like me can carry out repairs! This is always done off-peak, and usually between Chester-le-Street and Newcastle, in order to reduce the amount of time older vehicles spend on daytime service X21 runs. It'll happen again today, as I need to see 6301 this morning!

Yes the PVR was seven... as the 7th used to do Spennymoor to Framwellgate Moor college . Which later was given to Chester , then the 7th bbs did Durham to Bishop College. 

And YES the streetdecker (NOT streetdeckers eh Citaro) have been very reliable, in 3 month we've only had 1 problem on route which has resulted in lost mileage. 

Most of the drivers were sceptical, having heard bad reports about Streetlights. But the streetdeck has proved very reliable and all the drivers like them. 

JP6004

01 Sep 2016, 8:29 pm #44
(01 Sep 2016, 7:45 pm)Michael Honestly Citaro, I've heard nothing, i didn't even know the Solo's had been ordered!

In the last couple years, Streetlites and Solo's have fronted the order, so i would imagine, Streetlites will be next... where for though.... is the question.

I do hope GNE have gone with something else though...

Maybe deckers this year? Specially since they have heavily purchased singles past few years...
JP6004
01 Sep 2016, 8:29 pm #44

(01 Sep 2016, 7:45 pm)Michael Honestly Citaro, I've heard nothing, i didn't even know the Solo's had been ordered!

In the last couple years, Streetlites and Solo's have fronted the order, so i would imagine, Streetlites will be next... where for though.... is the question.

I do hope GNE have gone with something else though...

Maybe deckers this year? Specially since they have heavily purchased singles past few years...

BusLoverMum

01 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm #45
(01 Sep 2016, 5:32 pm)Greg in Weardale I can't believe they've extended the IndiGo brand to yet another area. It was bad enough they used it in North Tyneside; extending it to Washington is beyond comprehension!

Why?

I think it's good to have consistent branding marking out more localised services. No different to Arriva's Frequenta, Max and Sapphire brands appearing on services across multiple depots.
BusLoverMum
01 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm #45

(01 Sep 2016, 5:32 pm)Greg in Weardale I can't believe they've extended the IndiGo brand to yet another area. It was bad enough they used it in North Tyneside; extending it to Washington is beyond comprehension!

Why?

I think it's good to have consistent branding marking out more localised services. No different to Arriva's Frequenta, Max and Sapphire brands appearing on services across multiple depots.

01 Sep 2016, 8:31 pm #46
(01 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm)pdiddy Yes the PVR was seven... as the 7th used to do Spennymoor to Framwellgate Moor college . Which later was given to Chester , then the 7th bbs did Durham to Bishop College. 

Also heard overly positive reports of the Streetdecks as a vehicle to drive. The Streetlites however seem to be disliked by almost all drivers. Jerky gearboxes, assisted steering, etc.
streetlite5402
01 Sep 2016, 8:31 pm #46

(01 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm)pdiddy Yes the PVR was seven... as the 7th used to do Spennymoor to Framwellgate Moor college . Which later was given to Chester , then the 7th bbs did Durham to Bishop College. 

Also heard overly positive reports of the Streetdecks as a vehicle to drive. The Streetlites however seem to be disliked by almost all drivers. Jerky gearboxes, assisted steering, etc.

Michael

01 Sep 2016, 8:32 pm #47
(01 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm)BusLoverMum Why?

No complaints from him on that......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Sep 2016, 8:32 pm #47

(01 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm)BusLoverMum Why?

No complaints from him on that......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

01 Sep 2016, 8:35 pm #48
(01 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm)BusLoverMum I think it's good to have consistent branding marking out more localised services. No different to Arriva's Frequenta, Max and Sapphire brands appearing on services across multiple depots.

Exactly.

I know I posted an opinion that was similar to Gregs earlier in the week, not because i don't like the brand but instead because i felt like if they used it any more, it would start to become overused.

However, after reading the responses that it received plus Arriva and the brands that you have just mentioned, it seems perfectly fine and acceptable.

(01 Sep 2016, 8:32 pm)Michael No complaints from him on that......

Aye but as soon as GNE do it the police should be called...
Edited 01 Sep 2016, 8:36 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
01 Sep 2016, 8:35 pm #48

(01 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm)BusLoverMum I think it's good to have consistent branding marking out more localised services. No different to Arriva's Frequenta, Max and Sapphire brands appearing on services across multiple depots.

Exactly.

I know I posted an opinion that was similar to Gregs earlier in the week, not because i don't like the brand but instead because i felt like if they used it any more, it would start to become overused.

However, after reading the responses that it received plus Arriva and the brands that you have just mentioned, it seems perfectly fine and acceptable.

(01 Sep 2016, 8:32 pm)Michael No complaints from him on that......

Aye but as soon as GNE do it the police should be called...

Michael

01 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm #49
(01 Sep 2016, 8:29 pm)JP6004 Maybe deckers this year? Specially since they have heavily purchased singles past few years...

All the non DDA decker's will be replaced by Omnidekka's from Brighton, (i can't find the post now!) of cause, that doesn't mean none will be on order... i wonder if we'll see more Streetdeck out on the NE roads, would like to see the Angel upgraded to them, due to the X21 having them, without tables though.

Tyne Tees Xpress should be upgraded soon, like i said before and a few others, we don't want to the regular occurrence of them breaking down, like the B7's did...

Crusader could benefit from deckers. 

----

Still hoping to see better buses on the 2/2A this year..... Simplicity could look decent on the Streetlites

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm #49

(01 Sep 2016, 8:29 pm)JP6004 Maybe deckers this year? Specially since they have heavily purchased singles past few years...

All the non DDA decker's will be replaced by Omnidekka's from Brighton, (i can't find the post now!) of cause, that doesn't mean none will be on order... i wonder if we'll see more Streetdeck out on the NE roads, would like to see the Angel upgraded to them, due to the X21 having them, without tables though.

Tyne Tees Xpress should be upgraded soon, like i said before and a few others, we don't want to the regular occurrence of them breaking down, like the B7's did...

----

Still hoping to see better buses on the 2/2A this year..... Simplicity could look decent on the Streetlites

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

01 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm #50
(01 Sep 2016, 8:35 pm)S813 FVK Aye but as soon as GNE do it the police should be called...

I think the reason why GNE get slated in this sense but Arriva don't is simply because of the IndiGo branding itself, just about every day I get to hear/see someone within the hobby say "it's not indigo, it's pink!" or "at least the really good bus company (Trentbarton) can get their buses in the right colour" not singling out anyone in particular here but I hear this from just about everybody on what I must be honest, on a far too regular basis.
Jimmi
01 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm #50

(01 Sep 2016, 8:35 pm)S813 FVK Aye but as soon as GNE do it the police should be called...

I think the reason why GNE get slated in this sense but Arriva don't is simply because of the IndiGo branding itself, just about every day I get to hear/see someone within the hobby say "it's not indigo, it's pink!" or "at least the really good bus company (Trentbarton) can get their buses in the right colour" not singling out anyone in particular here but I hear this from just about everybody on what I must be honest, on a far too regular basis.

BusLoverMum

01 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm #51
(01 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm)Michael All the non DDA decker's will be replaced by Omnidekka's from Brighton, (i can't find the post now!) of cause, that doesn't mean none will be on order... i wonder if we'll see more Streetdeck out on the NE roads, would like to see the Angel upgraded to them, due to the X21 having them, without tables though.

----

The regular breakdowns seem to be already happening!

Reckon another year or so will be eked out of those Versas on the 2/2a/61 before any changes are made there.
Edited 01 Sep 2016, 8:54 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
01 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm #51

(01 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm)Michael All the non DDA decker's will be replaced by Omnidekka's from Brighton, (i can't find the post now!) of cause, that doesn't mean none will be on order... i wonder if we'll see more Streetdeck out on the NE roads, would like to see the Angel upgraded to them, due to the X21 having them, without tables though.

----

The regular breakdowns seem to be already happening!

Reckon another year or so will be eked out of those Versas on the 2/2a/61 before any changes are made there.

Ambassador

01 Sep 2016, 9:12 pm #52
I've suggested it before, but understanding it's a huge investment (no idea how lucrative the X9/10 are or aren't) but I'd love to see an Oxford Tube style service introduced with high spec coaches that can still cope with a stopping service to a degree

Again would love a 21 upgrade, B7s and until lastly Tridents aren't acceptable and it needs addressing, I'd probably accept at least a decent deep clean of the hybrids, they're in an awful state

Re-Indigo, I don't like branding but I'm warming to corporate group branding (like Arriva and Stagecoach) but Indigo is a nice compromise for those lower level local services and plain Red Northern for the 'have you seen the price of petrol, were only running this out of the goodness of our hearts' route that don't warrant investment or branding

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
01 Sep 2016, 9:12 pm #52

I've suggested it before, but understanding it's a huge investment (no idea how lucrative the X9/10 are or aren't) but I'd love to see an Oxford Tube style service introduced with high spec coaches that can still cope with a stopping service to a degree

Again would love a 21 upgrade, B7s and until lastly Tridents aren't acceptable and it needs addressing, I'd probably accept at least a decent deep clean of the hybrids, they're in an awful state

Re-Indigo, I don't like branding but I'm warming to corporate group branding (like Arriva and Stagecoach) but Indigo is a nice compromise for those lower level local services and plain Red Northern for the 'have you seen the price of petrol, were only running this out of the goodness of our hearts' route that don't warrant investment or branding

V514DFT

01 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm #53
I honestly dont think the 11 is going to last,ive saw it on different days of the week and different times of the day and everytime ive saw it,its either got nobody on it or a handful of passengers
V514DFT
01 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm #53

I honestly dont think the 11 is going to last,ive saw it on different days of the week and different times of the day and everytime ive saw it,its either got nobody on it or a handful of passengers

Jamie M

Unregistered

01 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm #54
(01 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm)V514DFT I honestly dont think the 11 is going to last,ive saw it on different days of the week and different times of the day and everytime ive saw it,its either got nobody on it or a handful of passengers
It's had deckers an all sorts on. It's like a mix between the 1/27/310, all of which are really popular services. Don't see what the need was, reliability is fine but who on earth goes directly from newcastle to metrocentre using that route? The only system of gateshead to metrecentre as 96 was good. It's an unneeded service on the whole but let's see if it can mature within a couple of months given how poor the advertising was.
Jamie M
01 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm #54

(01 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm)V514DFT I honestly dont think the 11 is going to last,ive saw it on different days of the week and different times of the day and everytime ive saw it,its either got nobody on it or a handful of passengers
It's had deckers an all sorts on. It's like a mix between the 1/27/310, all of which are really popular services. Don't see what the need was, reliability is fine but who on earth goes directly from newcastle to metrocentre using that route? The only system of gateshead to metrecentre as 96 was good. It's an unneeded service on the whole but let's see if it can mature within a couple of months given how poor the advertising was.

Tom

01 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm #55

Sadly I agree with you there, it normally has a few passengers going into town say between 10 and 12 and coming out of town at 3 or 4 but other than that it is normally empty between Walllsend and Newcastle which is a shame as it's quicker. Even when the 11 is in front of the 1 or 22 people still seem to wait for the 1 or 22...

(01 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm)Jamie M It's had deckers an all sorts on. It's like a mix between the 1/27/310, all of which are really popular services. Don't see what the need was, reliability is fine but who on earth goes directly from newcastle to metrocentre using that route? The only system of gateshead to metrecentre as 96 was good. It's an unneeded service on the whole but let's see if it can mature within a couple of months given how poor the advertising was.

How is it a mix between the 27 and 310? And also it's not a unneeded service because without it places like Willington Quay, East Howdon, Knightside Gardens etc. would be left without a service unless you mean bring back the 17/96?
Edited 01 Sep 2016, 9:53 pm by Tom.
Tom
01 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm #55

Sadly I agree with you there, it normally has a few passengers going into town say between 10 and 12 and coming out of town at 3 or 4 but other than that it is normally empty between Walllsend and Newcastle which is a shame as it's quicker. Even when the 11 is in front of the 1 or 22 people still seem to wait for the 1 or 22...

(01 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm)Jamie M It's had deckers an all sorts on. It's like a mix between the 1/27/310, all of which are really popular services. Don't see what the need was, reliability is fine but who on earth goes directly from newcastle to metrocentre using that route? The only system of gateshead to metrecentre as 96 was good. It's an unneeded service on the whole but let's see if it can mature within a couple of months given how poor the advertising was.

How is it a mix between the 27 and 310? And also it's not a unneeded service because without it places like Willington Quay, East Howdon, Knightside Gardens etc. would be left without a service unless you mean bring back the 17/96?

01 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm #56
I've never liked Arriva's Sapphire, Max and Frequenta brands - the first two are meaningless. GNE brands are usually good and sometimes quite original. IndiGo wasn't wonderful to start with and extending it to other areas is daft when they could have had their own local identities - as Tyneside did with the perfectly acceptable North Tyne Links. When IndiGo was extended there a senior manager said they "liked the colour and couldn't think of anything else"! That's a really good commendation for a Commercial department.
Greg in Weardale
01 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm #56

I've never liked Arriva's Sapphire, Max and Frequenta brands - the first two are meaningless. GNE brands are usually good and sometimes quite original. IndiGo wasn't wonderful to start with and extending it to other areas is daft when they could have had their own local identities - as Tyneside did with the perfectly acceptable North Tyne Links. When IndiGo was extended there a senior manager said they "liked the colour and couldn't think of anything else"! That's a really good commendation for a Commercial department.

Jamie M

Unregistered

01 Sep 2016, 9:56 pm #57
(01 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm)Tom Sadly I agree with you there, it normally has a few passengers going into town say between 10 and 12 and coming out of town at 3 or 4 but other than that it is normally empty between Walllsend and Newcastle which is a shame as it's quicker. Even when the 11 is in front of the 1 or 22 people still seem to wait for the 1 or 22...

Aye, most of the destinations are accessible on other services, or general areas. Ignore my comment about the 27, I forgot that was south tyne. 310 gans along past met college and on to north shields etc.
Jamie M
01 Sep 2016, 9:56 pm #57

(01 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm)Tom Sadly I agree with you there, it normally has a few passengers going into town say between 10 and 12 and coming out of town at 3 or 4 but other than that it is normally empty between Walllsend and Newcastle which is a shame as it's quicker. Even when the 11 is in front of the 1 or 22 people still seem to wait for the 1 or 22...

Aye, most of the destinations are accessible on other services, or general areas. Ignore my comment about the 27, I forgot that was south tyne. 310 gans along past met college and on to north shields etc.

S813 FVK

01 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm #58

I don't think the service is designed for people to travel from Newcastle to the Metrocentre (unless you boarded before Newcastle and don't wish to change buses). It is mainly for local connections such as Newcastle/Gateshead to Lobley Hill and Lobley Hill to Metrocentre vice versa.
S813 FVK
01 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm #58

I don't think the service is designed for people to travel from Newcastle to the Metrocentre (unless you boarded before Newcastle and don't wish to change buses). It is mainly for local connections such as Newcastle/Gateshead to Lobley Hill and Lobley Hill to Metrocentre vice versa.

Ambassador

01 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm #59

I'd guess people prefer Stagecoach because it's cheaper, has more connections in Newcastle (day tickets) more recognisable brand and service to people.

I can't see the gamble working but complaints about the Whickham/Lobely Hill section seem to have dropped considerably based on anecdotal Facebook views

Ambassador
01 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm #59

I'd guess people prefer Stagecoach because it's cheaper, has more connections in Newcastle (day tickets) more recognisable brand and service to people.

I can't see the gamble working but complaints about the Whickham/Lobely Hill section seem to have dropped considerably based on anecdotal Facebook views

Jamie M

Unregistered

01 Sep 2016, 10:06 pm #60
(01 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm)S813 FVK I don't think the service is designed for people to travel from Newcastle to the Metrocentre (unless you boarded before Newcastle and don't wish to change buses). It is mainly for local connections such as Newcastle/Gateshead to Lobley Hill and Lobley Hill to Metrocentre vice versa.

That lobley hill stretch could easily be run on an alternative route, 97A could do it or whatever. It's such a long journey that could easily just be split up without anyone noticing like.
Jamie M
01 Sep 2016, 10:06 pm #60

(01 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm)S813 FVK I don't think the service is designed for people to travel from Newcastle to the Metrocentre (unless you boarded before Newcastle and don't wish to change buses). It is mainly for local connections such as Newcastle/Gateshead to Lobley Hill and Lobley Hill to Metrocentre vice versa.

That lobley hill stretch could easily be run on an alternative route, 97A could do it or whatever. It's such a long journey that could easily just be split up without anyone noticing like.

Pages (32) Previous 1 2 3 432 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average