Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28) Previous 119 20 2128 Next
dannygee

21 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm #381
When will 6132 go to percy main
dannygee
21 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm #381

When will 6132 go to percy main

Michael

21 Dec 2016, 6:54 pm #382
(21 Dec 2016, 6:44 pm)South Tyne Lad 5333 and 5335 were the first two to transfer over once the X6/X7 Service revisions started a few weeks back, 5336 transferred over a few days after, I'm led to believe 5334 transferred over around 2-3 days ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking about the 9, The official allocation is 4 Mercedes O530Ns and 2 Corporate Scania L94UB's.
The Citaro's from what I've seen tend to stay out all night, But I believe they don't have set boards for each type.

Hopefully by the end of February, the 9 is allocated 6 Citaro's on a full time bases, meaning it won't be a mixed allocated.
Edited 21 Dec 2016, 7:13 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Dec 2016, 6:54 pm #382

(21 Dec 2016, 6:44 pm)South Tyne Lad 5333 and 5335 were the first two to transfer over once the X6/X7 Service revisions started a few weeks back, 5336 transferred over a few days after, I'm led to believe 5334 transferred over around 2-3 days ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking about the 9, The official allocation is 4 Mercedes O530Ns and 2 Corporate Scania L94UB's.
The Citaro's from what I've seen tend to stay out all night, But I believe they don't have set boards for each type.

Hopefully by the end of February, the 9 is allocated 6 Citaro's on a full time bases, meaning it won't be a mixed allocated.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jamie M

Unregistered

21 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm #383
(21 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm)dannygee When will 6132 go to percy main
It's been running fine at Stanley - and has by custom - gone without a wash in a while, so I assume it's down to Percy Main's operations with 3888, but who knows!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
21 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm #383

(21 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm)dannygee When will 6132 go to percy main
It's been running fine at Stanley - and has by custom - gone without a wash in a while, so I assume it's down to Percy Main's operations with 3888, but who knows!

21 Dec 2016, 7:08 pm #384
(21 Dec 2016, 6:54 pm)Michael Hopefully by the end of February, the 9 is allocated has 6 Citaro's on a full time bases, meaning it won't be a mixed allocated.

I'll certainly not be moaning if it ends up full Citaro allocated!

I've had second thoughts on them all heading for Deptford tbh, As any Scania's with Air-Pods on the roof will not be welcomed at Riverside as corporate spares -
Due to the 88/88A having a extremely low bridge which the Air-Pods cant pass under, While Citaro's or Omnicity's have a more streamlined Air-Pod which narrowly fits under but is legal, -
And with the 88/88A regulary requiring around 3 Corporate Spares per day now, Replacing older Solar's with younger ones with Air-Pods isn't a great idea.

Id suggest sending 2-3 Citaro's to Deptford for the 9 and 1 Corporate Spare, And the rest to Riverside to either displace other vehicles to the X5 ( Toonlink Omnicity's? ) plus 5337-8 which can withdraw two of either 4929-31,35 , While still being able to go under all low bridges which the depot runs under.

4932 and 4933 will not be as high priority to go I presume as there Euro 5, Due to being fitted with Eminox Mods a few years back.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
21 Dec 2016, 7:08 pm #384

(21 Dec 2016, 6:54 pm)Michael Hopefully by the end of February, the 9 is allocated has 6 Citaro's on a full time bases, meaning it won't be a mixed allocated.

I'll certainly not be moaning if it ends up full Citaro allocated!

I've had second thoughts on them all heading for Deptford tbh, As any Scania's with Air-Pods on the roof will not be welcomed at Riverside as corporate spares -
Due to the 88/88A having a extremely low bridge which the Air-Pods cant pass under, While Citaro's or Omnicity's have a more streamlined Air-Pod which narrowly fits under but is legal, -
And with the 88/88A regulary requiring around 3 Corporate Spares per day now, Replacing older Solar's with younger ones with Air-Pods isn't a great idea.

Id suggest sending 2-3 Citaro's to Deptford for the 9 and 1 Corporate Spare, And the rest to Riverside to either displace other vehicles to the X5 ( Toonlink Omnicity's? ) plus 5337-8 which can withdraw two of either 4929-31,35 , While still being able to go under all low bridges which the depot runs under.

4932 and 4933 will not be as high priority to go I presume as there Euro 5, Due to being fitted with Eminox Mods a few years back.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

dannygee

21 Dec 2016, 7:19 pm #385
(21 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm)Jamie M It's been running fine at Stanley - and has by custom - gone without a wash in a while, so I assume it's down to Percy Main's operations with 3888, but who knows!

Well 3888 has been just kept spare recently
dannygee
21 Dec 2016, 7:19 pm #385

(21 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm)Jamie M It's been running fine at Stanley - and has by custom - gone without a wash in a while, so I assume it's down to Percy Main's operations with 3888, but who knows!

Well 3888 has been just kept spare recently

Andreos1

21 Dec 2016, 7:59 pm #386
(21 Dec 2016, 4:31 pm)GMitchelhill Ah I see, I always see two tone as in two different shades. Blame British Railways for having two tone Green Class 47s.

Must admit to thinking of the music/record label when I read it.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Dec 2016, 7:59 pm #386

(21 Dec 2016, 4:31 pm)GMitchelhill Ah I see, I always see two tone as in two different shades. Blame British Railways for having two tone Green Class 47s.

Must admit to thinking of the music/record label when I read it.

21 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm #387
Im traveling to stanley tomoz so im coming from boldon what ticket wud be best for me. be after 5 time i get back so thinking of getting an explorer
gneasy91
21 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm #387

Im traveling to stanley tomoz so im coming from boldon what ticket wud be best for me. be after 5 time i get back so thinking of getting an explorer

Malarkey

21 Dec 2016, 9:28 pm #388
(21 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm)gneasy91 Im traveling to stanley tomoz so im coming from boldon what ticket wud be best for me. be after 5 time i get back so thinking of getting an explorer

Get a 3 Zone+ Day Ticket mate, unless planning on going to Durham and using Arriva services.
Malarkey
21 Dec 2016, 9:28 pm #388

(21 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm)gneasy91 Im traveling to stanley tomoz so im coming from boldon what ticket wud be best for me. be after 5 time i get back so thinking of getting an explorer

Get a 3 Zone+ Day Ticket mate, unless planning on going to Durham and using Arriva services.

idiot

21 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm #389
Disgrace that GNE are not adding extra dates on the tickets for when they provide no service on Xmas day and nyd.
idiot
21 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm #389

Disgrace that GNE are not adding extra dates on the tickets for when they provide no service on Xmas day and nyd.

Malarkey

21 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm #390
(21 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm)idiot Disgrace that GNE are not adding extra dates on the tickets for when they provide no service on Xmas day and nyd.

Travel Office at the galleries done me out of 2 Days on my Network One pass the week, said they added them on but didn't and I thought nothing of it as I have never had any issues in the past, until I came to use it last saturday and found it was out of date when I got on the bus.
Malarkey
21 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm #390

(21 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm)idiot Disgrace that GNE are not adding extra dates on the tickets for when they provide no service on Xmas day and nyd.

Travel Office at the galleries done me out of 2 Days on my Network One pass the week, said they added them on but didn't and I thought nothing of it as I have never had any issues in the past, until I came to use it last saturday and found it was out of date when I got on the bus.

Adrian

21 Dec 2016, 10:21 pm #391

It is bad, I agree. I have an Arriva monthly ticket and it is a similar story. Though I have no service on the 26th and only a Sunday service on the 27th - best part of three days without a service.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Dec 2016, 10:21 pm #391

It is bad, I agree. I have an Arriva monthly ticket and it is a similar story. Though I have no service on the 26th and only a Sunday service on the 27th - best part of three days without a service.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Ambassador

21 Dec 2016, 10:58 pm #392
(21 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm)Malarkey Travel Office at the galleries done me out of 2 Days on my Network One pass the week, said they added them on but didn't and I thought nothing of it as I have never had any issues in the past, until I came to use it last saturday and found it was out of date when I got on the bus.

Your pass should have been a reduced rate if it makes you feel better.

GNEs policy is just greedy and unnecessary. The responses on Facebook have been appalling, usual rank awful customer service. I'd genuinely like to know if the MD can look at those responses and be happy and proud of his staff and the direction they work under. I've worked at many FTSE companies, way bigger than Go Ahead and seen Customer Service Directors hauled over coals and arse kicked for better service than GNE give.

Still, monopoly, they can do what they want. If only we had a regulator with some teeth on ticketing issues.
Edited 21 Dec 2016, 11:02 pm by Ambassador.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
21 Dec 2016, 10:58 pm #392

(21 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm)Malarkey Travel Office at the galleries done me out of 2 Days on my Network One pass the week, said they added them on but didn't and I thought nothing of it as I have never had any issues in the past, until I came to use it last saturday and found it was out of date when I got on the bus.

Your pass should have been a reduced rate if it makes you feel better.

GNEs policy is just greedy and unnecessary. The responses on Facebook have been appalling, usual rank awful customer service. I'd genuinely like to know if the MD can look at those responses and be happy and proud of his staff and the direction they work under. I've worked at many FTSE companies, way bigger than Go Ahead and seen Customer Service Directors hauled over coals and arse kicked for better service than GNE give.

Still, monopoly, they can do what they want. If only we had a regulator with some teeth on ticketing issues.

Jamie M

Unregistered

21 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm #393
(21 Dec 2016, 10:58 pm)Ambassador Your pass should have been a reduced rate if it makes you feel better.

What makes this particularly hard is the amount of counsils involved in the regulation.
You have DCC, Newcasle County Counsil, Gateshead Counsil, North Tyneside Counsil, South Tyneside Counsil, Unitary Authorities (Hartlepool/M'bro) and Northumberland County Counsil.
To come up with some sensible restrictions, you need counsil monitoring - which is impossible given the number of different counsils which will all have their own take on what should be done. After all, companies like GNE satisfy the counsils by providing all of the contracts which have their own restrictions. There is certainly price ammendments made by these contracts - just there is no way to bridge the different counsil's regulations into one central monitoring system. Here's a made up example..

Say DDC, Gateshead Counsil and Newcastle City Counsil (the latter under nexus) agree to join together to make route X70 more affordable.
£1 to the boundery from Consett -> Crookgate, £1 to Newcastle from there. Nexus and Go North East then look at the figures and realise that not nearly enough people are getting on the Bus in or through T&W to make ends meet. Nexus then decide that the prices can be put up allow the leg of the journey to be economically plausable for both operator and nexus itself. So the price then shifts up to £1.50 to go from Crookgate to Gateshead. Are DCC going to then reduce the price of their share of the route? No, because that's going to mess with their figures and contracts. The price - one end to the other is going to be £2.50.

I may be talking utter.. uhm... nonsense with my example, and indeed all of this, but this is how I picture it with contracts involved.

Jamie M
21 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm #393

(21 Dec 2016, 10:58 pm)Ambassador Your pass should have been a reduced rate if it makes you feel better.

What makes this particularly hard is the amount of counsils involved in the regulation.
You have DCC, Newcasle County Counsil, Gateshead Counsil, North Tyneside Counsil, South Tyneside Counsil, Unitary Authorities (Hartlepool/M'bro) and Northumberland County Counsil.
To come up with some sensible restrictions, you need counsil monitoring - which is impossible given the number of different counsils which will all have their own take on what should be done. After all, companies like GNE satisfy the counsils by providing all of the contracts which have their own restrictions. There is certainly price ammendments made by these contracts - just there is no way to bridge the different counsil's regulations into one central monitoring system. Here's a made up example..

Say DDC, Gateshead Counsil and Newcastle City Counsil (the latter under nexus) agree to join together to make route X70 more affordable.
£1 to the boundery from Consett -> Crookgate, £1 to Newcastle from there. Nexus and Go North East then look at the figures and realise that not nearly enough people are getting on the Bus in or through T&W to make ends meet. Nexus then decide that the prices can be put up allow the leg of the journey to be economically plausable for both operator and nexus itself. So the price then shifts up to £1.50 to go from Crookgate to Gateshead. Are DCC going to then reduce the price of their share of the route? No, because that's going to mess with their figures and contracts. The price - one end to the other is going to be £2.50.

I may be talking utter.. uhm... nonsense with my example, and indeed all of this, but this is how I picture it with contracts involved.

Ambassador

22 Dec 2016, 12:06 am #394
You make good points, but that's why we have NECA (which is dropping the ball) to pull all this together. It's a tangled web of regional xenophobia and red tape..

The simple answer if for GNE to act like a business that cares about customers and offer extensions/discounts which Arriva, Stagecoach and Network One are all doing. But they don't. So one can only assume they don't.

Ambassador
22 Dec 2016, 12:06 am #394

You make good points, but that's why we have NECA (which is dropping the ball) to pull all this together. It's a tangled web of regional xenophobia and red tape..

The simple answer if for GNE to act like a business that cares about customers and offer extensions/discounts which Arriva, Stagecoach and Network One are all doing. But they don't. So one can only assume they don't.

Jamie M

Unregistered

22 Dec 2016, 12:21 am #395
(22 Dec 2016, 12:06 am)Ambassador You make good points, but that's why we have NECA (which is dropping the ball) to pull all this together. It's a tangled web of regional xenophobia and red tape..

They don't have to, though, and this is historical - purely because of the bureaucratic mess this area is when it comes to unity under one authority. There are so many different authorities with different opinions that it becomes literally impossible to stop monopolisation. The counsils independantly dont care what happens so long as there are services provided to their specifications. The counsils are basically at war with each other. At the end of the day, all anybody really cares about in a business financial sector is a line on a chart.
True, passenger satisifaction draws its own line, but only in a context to earn more money. In a monopoly, this becomes less and less of an issue, as do most things because there isn't really an alternative, hence the monopoly.
The counsils work the same, they need to make money count. The counsil just pay out for contracts, they don't gain money from them.
Taking the 704 for an example. Stanley to South Stanley and back 3 times in the evening mon-sat. If Go North East dropped this contract, nobody else will pick it up. Stanley Travel's last run currently finishes around 6pm, so they aren't going to pay somebody two hours extra to go and complete the run. Arriva aren't going to send a bus up light to do a 4 minute run every two hours, in order to have to go back down to durham light. Because of the surrounding monopoly, the counsil see GNE as being the obvious, sustainable candidate to award the 704 contract. GNE have surrounding services through the night and are a reputable brand. There will be tonnes of other examples of contracts like this, where each counsil is happy to allow a huge company continue its monopoly because its practical and sustainable to do so. The counsil can't even really mess with the figures because they rely on GNE to run some of the contracts. If GNE turned around and said 'nope' because they couldn't make a profit from the contract, the route would fall through. They'd have to pay some other business a fortune to keep doors open later or get another business to send buses from the other side of the county. I'm sure other contracts vary, but the counsils are much at the mercy of GNE to be providing their service, at their discretion - so of course, GNE can charge whatever they wish - the counsils can't really object for quite a few of the contracts.

Jamie M
22 Dec 2016, 12:21 am #395

(22 Dec 2016, 12:06 am)Ambassador You make good points, but that's why we have NECA (which is dropping the ball) to pull all this together. It's a tangled web of regional xenophobia and red tape..

They don't have to, though, and this is historical - purely because of the bureaucratic mess this area is when it comes to unity under one authority. There are so many different authorities with different opinions that it becomes literally impossible to stop monopolisation. The counsils independantly dont care what happens so long as there are services provided to their specifications. The counsils are basically at war with each other. At the end of the day, all anybody really cares about in a business financial sector is a line on a chart.
True, passenger satisifaction draws its own line, but only in a context to earn more money. In a monopoly, this becomes less and less of an issue, as do most things because there isn't really an alternative, hence the monopoly.
The counsils work the same, they need to make money count. The counsil just pay out for contracts, they don't gain money from them.
Taking the 704 for an example. Stanley to South Stanley and back 3 times in the evening mon-sat. If Go North East dropped this contract, nobody else will pick it up. Stanley Travel's last run currently finishes around 6pm, so they aren't going to pay somebody two hours extra to go and complete the run. Arriva aren't going to send a bus up light to do a 4 minute run every two hours, in order to have to go back down to durham light. Because of the surrounding monopoly, the counsil see GNE as being the obvious, sustainable candidate to award the 704 contract. GNE have surrounding services through the night and are a reputable brand. There will be tonnes of other examples of contracts like this, where each counsil is happy to allow a huge company continue its monopoly because its practical and sustainable to do so. The counsil can't even really mess with the figures because they rely on GNE to run some of the contracts. If GNE turned around and said 'nope' because they couldn't make a profit from the contract, the route would fall through. They'd have to pay some other business a fortune to keep doors open later or get another business to send buses from the other side of the county. I'm sure other contracts vary, but the counsils are much at the mercy of GNE to be providing their service, at their discretion - so of course, GNE can charge whatever they wish - the counsils can't really object for quite a few of the contracts.

Andreos1

22 Dec 2016, 8:36 am #396
(21 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm)Jamie M What makes this particularly hard is the amount of counsils involved in the regulation.
To come up with some sensible restrictions, you need counsil monitoring - which is impossible given the number of different counsils which will all have their own take on what should be done. After all, companies like GNE satisfy the counsils by providing all of the contracts which have their own restrictions. There is certainly price ammendments made by these contracts - just there is no way to bridge the different counsil's regulations into one central monitoring system.  Here's a made up example..

As Ambassador pointed out, you have NECA who pull each local council together under the one umbrella.
Granted there may be interests or representatives within the council which undermine it as a whole or have their own agenda, but I'm not sure there would be the situation you describe with the X70.

The tender would go out and each operator would bid for it based on affordability and costs. Issues such as the Stanley Travel example would also be a factor. 
I'm not sure Nexus and/or a local council authority would be too interested in changing the tender to make ends meet either. That's up to the operator who put in the bid to sort out. 

Stanley did used to run a number of evening Nexus contracts prior to the initial takeover by GNE in the early 2000's.
I am sure their currently business model could be adapted if they felt there was enough opportunity.

It is maybe worth noting that the council's on Teesside come under the 'Connect Tees Valley' brand, similar to the T&W councils working under Nexus. 
Subsidies and funding within the Connect LA's and immediate surroundings is minimal, with only Redcar & Cleveland providing (as far as I'm aware) anything above and beyond commercial operations.

Whilst contracts with PTE'S or LA's may have a knock on effect with monopolies in some areas, I think a bigger cause is de-reg.
Whilst it was meant to offer competition, it has clearly resulted in a 'survival of the fittest' after any initial bus wars subsided.
The farce that was ANE v GNE and subsequent investigations regarding business carve-ups seem to back the claim up, that de-reg failed the customer.
Edited 22 Dec 2016, 10:32 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
22 Dec 2016, 8:36 am #396

(21 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm)Jamie M What makes this particularly hard is the amount of counsils involved in the regulation.
To come up with some sensible restrictions, you need counsil monitoring - which is impossible given the number of different counsils which will all have their own take on what should be done. After all, companies like GNE satisfy the counsils by providing all of the contracts which have their own restrictions. There is certainly price ammendments made by these contracts - just there is no way to bridge the different counsil's regulations into one central monitoring system.  Here's a made up example..

As Ambassador pointed out, you have NECA who pull each local council together under the one umbrella.
Granted there may be interests or representatives within the council which undermine it as a whole or have their own agenda, but I'm not sure there would be the situation you describe with the X70.

The tender would go out and each operator would bid for it based on affordability and costs. Issues such as the Stanley Travel example would also be a factor. 
I'm not sure Nexus and/or a local council authority would be too interested in changing the tender to make ends meet either. That's up to the operator who put in the bid to sort out. 

Stanley did used to run a number of evening Nexus contracts prior to the initial takeover by GNE in the early 2000's.
I am sure their currently business model could be adapted if they felt there was enough opportunity.

It is maybe worth noting that the council's on Teesside come under the 'Connect Tees Valley' brand, similar to the T&W councils working under Nexus. 
Subsidies and funding within the Connect LA's and immediate surroundings is minimal, with only Redcar & Cleveland providing (as far as I'm aware) anything above and beyond commercial operations.

Whilst contracts with PTE'S or LA's may have a knock on effect with monopolies in some areas, I think a bigger cause is de-reg.
Whilst it was meant to offer competition, it has clearly resulted in a 'survival of the fittest' after any initial bus wars subsided.
The farce that was ANE v GNE and subsequent investigations regarding business carve-ups seem to back the claim up, that de-reg failed the customer.

Michael

22 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm #397
Any of those Streetlites arrived yet Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm #397

Any of those Streetlites arrived yet Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

22 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm #398
(22 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm)Michael Any of those Streetlites arrived yet Tongue

I wonder how many people Dan caught out with those photos of the X66 streetlites from last year that he uploaded to flickr last night Big Grin
S813 FVK
22 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm #398

(22 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm)Michael Any of those Streetlites arrived yet Tongue

I wonder how many people Dan caught out with those photos of the X66 streetlites from last year that he uploaded to flickr last night Big Grin

Michael

22 Dec 2016, 5:21 pm #399
(22 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm)S813 FVK I wonder how many people Dan caught out with those photos of the X66 streetlites from last year that he uploaded to flickr last night Big Grin

I bet a few, i haven't been on Flickr today so i haven't seen them haha

I bet he did it on purpose!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Dec 2016, 5:21 pm #399

(22 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm)S813 FVK I wonder how many people Dan caught out with those photos of the X66 streetlites from last year that he uploaded to flickr last night Big Grin

I bet a few, i haven't been on Flickr today so i haven't seen them haha

I bet he did it on purpose!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

22 Dec 2016, 5:53 pm #400

I was one Wink
EL1TE
22 Dec 2016, 5:53 pm #400

I was one Wink

Pages (28) Previous 119 20 2128 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average