Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events NEBPT North East Bus and Coach Show 2017

NEBPT North East Bus and Coach Show 2017

NEBPT North East Bus and Coach Show 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5): Previous 13 4 5
Poll: Are you attending the event?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
31.82%
Votes 7
No
27.27%
Votes 6
Maybe
40.91%
Votes 9

Total 22 vote(s) 100%
Pulsar

30 Apr 2017, 6:51 pm #81
I had a good time at the event today. Site was better than I thought with plenty of space (although this could have been used more effectively).

Slightly slow start as I arrived just after 10:15 with the first shuttles being Go North East 6307 and 5279 so I decided to wait for something a bit better.

Did 3 round trips in total with 4 buses. First was a full round trip on Stagecarriage open top Bristol VR. Then Bristol MV 8124 WX to Gateshead. Once I arrived at the interchange I changed straight onto the AEC single deck open topper. This was my favourite shuttle run of the day. Finally a full round trip on Busways Leyland Atlantean. Although the frequency of these shuttle runs started out at every half an hour, it seemed to be more frequent by the time I left with sometimes 2 buses leaving at the same time.

Photos from the day can be found here

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Pulsar
30 Apr 2017, 6:51 pm #81

I had a good time at the event today. Site was better than I thought with plenty of space (although this could have been used more effectively).

Slightly slow start as I arrived just after 10:15 with the first shuttles being Go North East 6307 and 5279 so I decided to wait for something a bit better.

Did 3 round trips in total with 4 buses. First was a full round trip on Stagecarriage open top Bristol VR. Then Bristol MV 8124 WX to Gateshead. Once I arrived at the interchange I changed straight onto the AEC single deck open topper. This was my favourite shuttle run of the day. Finally a full round trip on Busways Leyland Atlantean. Although the frequency of these shuttle runs started out at every half an hour, it seemed to be more frequent by the time I left with sometimes 2 buses leaving at the same time.

Photos from the day can be found here

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.

30 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm #82
Had a mint day today. For it being the first bus event I've been to, it was great.

Day started with my shuttle there being 4708, arriving at 10:24 ish. Got a few photos towards the right side (e.g. where 6307 was) and then headed towards the left side. Decided to buy a hotdog and I managed to find Dan, Jimmi and someone who I don't recognise on the front of that open topper. 

At around 11:30 I went back down towards the right side of the show, and get some interior photos, and was allowed to go into the cabs of 4922 and 6307! It was a great experience to see the big difference betweenness the both...

At around 11:45, I left the scene on 5279 as I had to return home. It was a great day and I loved it. Can't wait for more events to come by.

Also, I apologise if any of you saw me and I didn't say anything - I am incredibly shy!
EL1TE
30 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm #82

Had a mint day today. For it being the first bus event I've been to, it was great.

Day started with my shuttle there being 4708, arriving at 10:24 ish. Got a few photos towards the right side (e.g. where 6307 was) and then headed towards the left side. Decided to buy a hotdog and I managed to find Dan, Jimmi and someone who I don't recognise on the front of that open topper. 

At around 11:30 I went back down towards the right side of the show, and get some interior photos, and was allowed to go into the cabs of 4922 and 6307! It was a great experience to see the big difference betweenness the both...

At around 11:45, I left the scene on 5279 as I had to return home. It was a great day and I loved it. Can't wait for more events to come by.

Also, I apologise if any of you saw me and I didn't say anything - I am incredibly shy!

Jamie M

Unregistered

30 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm #83
(30 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)EL1TE Had a mint day today. For it being the first bus event I've been to, it was great.

I spent more time going and coming from there than I did there, as Jimmi will probably let us all be aware of for him too Big Grin

There is parking for 70p nearby so I should have just drove but I wasn't sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
30 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm #83

(30 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)EL1TE Had a mint day today. For it being the first bus event I've been to, it was great.

I spent more time going and coming from there than I did there, as Jimmi will probably let us all be aware of for him too Big Grin

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm #84
(30 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm)Jamie M I spent more time going and coming from there than I did there, as Jimmi will probably let us all be aware of for him too Big Grin

Parking was free at the site adjacent to the rally - that's where I was parked.
Dan
30 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm #84

(30 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm)Jamie M I spent more time going and coming from there than I did there, as Jimmi will probably let us all be aware of for him too Big Grin

Parking was free at the site adjacent to the rally - that's where I was parked.

Jamie M

Unregistered

30 Apr 2017, 7:51 pm #85
(30 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm)Dan Parking was free at the site adjacent to the rally - that's where I was parked.
I probably skipped over something then haha

Jamie M
30 Apr 2017, 7:51 pm #85

(30 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm)Dan Parking was free at the site adjacent to the rally - that's where I was parked.
I probably skipped over something then haha

30 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm #86
I parked round the corner on that bank where those billboards are, got 4708 there as wasn't sure where the site was so got HPK 507N back to Gateshead to get the car from Trinity Square

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
30 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm #86

I parked round the corner on that bank where those billboards are, got 4708 there as wasn't sure where the site was so got HPK 507N back to Gateshead to get the car from Trinity Square

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Jimmi

30 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm #87
I quite enjoyed myself today.

I will echo some things that have already been said, the space could have been used a bit more effectively plus some of the vehicles could have been placed not in direct sunlight by the afternoon, would have been better if most had been parked against the metal fence as this is where the sun was for the vast majority of the day.

I noticed that the amount of people had died down by about 2pm. Noticed that there was less attendees than there had been at the Metrocentre in the last few years from both commercial operators and buses in preservation, unsure as to why this was the case though, the change of venue, fuel costs or boycotting due to the heavy GNE presence?

Nice to see the usual plus some new faces today, sorry I didn't get to say hi to all of you's today. You should all know what I look like now!

Pleased that a more regular service was being provided on the shuttles by about lunchtime instead of the original intended 30 minutes.

Hopefully it will return again next year, maybe with a few slight improvements.
Jimmi
30 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm #87

I quite enjoyed myself today.

I will echo some things that have already been said, the space could have been used a bit more effectively plus some of the vehicles could have been placed not in direct sunlight by the afternoon, would have been better if most had been parked against the metal fence as this is where the sun was for the vast majority of the day.

I noticed that the amount of people had died down by about 2pm. Noticed that there was less attendees than there had been at the Metrocentre in the last few years from both commercial operators and buses in preservation, unsure as to why this was the case though, the change of venue, fuel costs or boycotting due to the heavy GNE presence?

Nice to see the usual plus some new faces today, sorry I didn't get to say hi to all of you's today. You should all know what I look like now!

Pleased that a more regular service was being provided on the shuttles by about lunchtime instead of the original intended 30 minutes.

Hopefully it will return again next year, maybe with a few slight improvements.

Jimmi

30 Apr 2017, 9:32 pm #88
Managed to rush a small selection of photos from today onto my Flickr, as know you all love these plugs so much! Big Grin

Rally album can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskYKUbwm
Jimmi
30 Apr 2017, 9:32 pm #88

Managed to rush a small selection of photos from today onto my Flickr, as know you all love these plugs so much! Big Grin

Rally album can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskYKUbwm

Multi21

01 May 2017, 9:26 pm #89
I wasn't a huge fan of this one if I'm honest. It felt like a bit of a come down from the teesside one.

The lack of cream and green was very noticeable! The highlight for me was the first outing of the prestige! It was that good I had to go on twice!!!

It's no metrocenter but it will do!
Multi21
01 May 2017, 9:26 pm #89

I wasn't a huge fan of this one if I'm honest. It felt like a bit of a come down from the teesside one.

The lack of cream and green was very noticeable! The highlight for me was the first outing of the prestige! It was that good I had to go on twice!!!

It's no metrocenter but it will do!

Adrian

01 May 2017, 10:49 pm #90
I've very mixed feelings on this year's Bus and Coach Show.

I'll start by saying the NEBPT deserve some credit for the very quick turnaround/short notice on which they organised this year's event. It was unfortunate to lose the Metrocentre, which in my opinion was a cracking venue, but the show must go on...

Rather than my normal early start and catching of the run in, I decided to head across for the start at 1000 instead. Rather than wait for the first shuttle bus, which I imagined would be rather full, I decided to grab the Q3 from Haymarket. There were a few other enthusiasts that opted for this option too, and after all, it is only a short walk down from the nearest bus stop. When I got there, there were half a dozen buses already on site, and Go North East were starting to arrive. I'd say there was only a handful of members of the public on site at that time. It wasn't very clear where to pay your money on arrival, as the stewards seemed to be busy still setting up at the time, which led to others just walking straight in. 

I wasn't there for long before other vehicles started to arrive and park up, and the site soon began to fill up. I did find the site layout to become quite confusing, and there was no real plan of what was parked up where. A bit of a free for all really, which at one point led to most of the buses being tightly parked together at one end of the site. Perhaps if the site is secured for future years, a proper site plan can be drawn up, thus allowing land to be used to its maximum potential?

It was nice to see Go North East attend on mass still, and it was a shame that Arriva couldn't be there. The latter, I agree, a notable miss from this year's event. Hopefully the issues this year can be resolved with the NEBPT for next year.

The free shuttle service was very popular as usual, with very few buses going out without a full load. I sampled both Stagecarriage's HPK507N and A-Line's N703LTN. I had missed the Stagecarriage VR at Teesside last week, so I am pleased I had a chance to sample this week. The route was a simple up and over the Tyne Bridge to nearby Gateshead Interchange and back. Acting solely as a bus station shuttle, rather than a running route, as you previously had at the Metrocentre. Hopefully this is something that can be expanded on in future years, but I appreciate that the Quayside market makes things a bit difficult. A special mention goes to Go North East and Scarlet Band, who both supplied a 'low floor' shuttle to assist wheelchair users. The disabled access to the site was pretty grim, so I am pleased that both companies and their drivers stepped in to help.

There was a good variety from the trade stands as usual, but I did feel a bit sorry for them with the wind! I don't think there is a lot you can do with that though, unless industrial windbreakers can be hired in?

Although the rally was advertised to finish around 5pm, the reality was people were ready and packing up by about 3pm. The number on site had actually dropped dramatically by around 2pm, on what I'd say was a much lower turn out compared to the Metrocentre, anyway. This did however allow for a quick photoshoot at the end, with thanks to the NNRG for bringing 4855 across the site to make that happen.

It is disappointing that I have to say this, but I will - There has been a lot said on here and other discussion platforms, about either people causing a nuisance or doing things that they shouldn't be doing on site. Whilst I think it is common sense not to start opening doors on a bus to help yourself, get into driver cabs, or whatever else. I am 31 year old... many who attended the event are a lot younger than that, and are going to tend to do something unless they know better. Children are understandably excited and enthused to get up close and have a proper look at these fantastic buses. They do not have the same level of emotional control as grown adults. Why not spend the time to demonstrate and explain the bus to them and allow them to learn something, instead of sitting on board with the doors closed? It might be a good time to explain so-called rally etiquette to them, and hopefully they take something away from it. The key here is that nobody should have their day spoilt by others, and at the same time, nobody should be made to feel unwelcome either.

All in all, I still think the site has potential, but I do think the event is massively lacking any injection of ideas. It is in dire need of a refresh, and has been for a number of years now. It needs new people to get involved and compliment the experience and hard work of those that are currently involved, and more so build a contingency to ensure the events continue for years to come. The stewards were clearly rushed off their feet today, and there are so few of them to begin with. There was no printed literature about the event, and I know we have spoken on here about having programmes before.

Thanks to everyone who turned up and brought their buses along for others to enjoy!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 May 2017, 10:49 pm #90

I've very mixed feelings on this year's Bus and Coach Show.

I'll start by saying the NEBPT deserve some credit for the very quick turnaround/short notice on which they organised this year's event. It was unfortunate to lose the Metrocentre, which in my opinion was a cracking venue, but the show must go on...

Rather than my normal early start and catching of the run in, I decided to head across for the start at 1000 instead. Rather than wait for the first shuttle bus, which I imagined would be rather full, I decided to grab the Q3 from Haymarket. There were a few other enthusiasts that opted for this option too, and after all, it is only a short walk down from the nearest bus stop. When I got there, there were half a dozen buses already on site, and Go North East were starting to arrive. I'd say there was only a handful of members of the public on site at that time. It wasn't very clear where to pay your money on arrival, as the stewards seemed to be busy still setting up at the time, which led to others just walking straight in. 

I wasn't there for long before other vehicles started to arrive and park up, and the site soon began to fill up. I did find the site layout to become quite confusing, and there was no real plan of what was parked up where. A bit of a free for all really, which at one point led to most of the buses being tightly parked together at one end of the site. Perhaps if the site is secured for future years, a proper site plan can be drawn up, thus allowing land to be used to its maximum potential?

It was nice to see Go North East attend on mass still, and it was a shame that Arriva couldn't be there. The latter, I agree, a notable miss from this year's event. Hopefully the issues this year can be resolved with the NEBPT for next year.

The free shuttle service was very popular as usual, with very few buses going out without a full load. I sampled both Stagecarriage's HPK507N and A-Line's N703LTN. I had missed the Stagecarriage VR at Teesside last week, so I am pleased I had a chance to sample this week. The route was a simple up and over the Tyne Bridge to nearby Gateshead Interchange and back. Acting solely as a bus station shuttle, rather than a running route, as you previously had at the Metrocentre. Hopefully this is something that can be expanded on in future years, but I appreciate that the Quayside market makes things a bit difficult. A special mention goes to Go North East and Scarlet Band, who both supplied a 'low floor' shuttle to assist wheelchair users. The disabled access to the site was pretty grim, so I am pleased that both companies and their drivers stepped in to help.

There was a good variety from the trade stands as usual, but I did feel a bit sorry for them with the wind! I don't think there is a lot you can do with that though, unless industrial windbreakers can be hired in?

Although the rally was advertised to finish around 5pm, the reality was people were ready and packing up by about 3pm. The number on site had actually dropped dramatically by around 2pm, on what I'd say was a much lower turn out compared to the Metrocentre, anyway. This did however allow for a quick photoshoot at the end, with thanks to the NNRG for bringing 4855 across the site to make that happen.

It is disappointing that I have to say this, but I will - There has been a lot said on here and other discussion platforms, about either people causing a nuisance or doing things that they shouldn't be doing on site. Whilst I think it is common sense not to start opening doors on a bus to help yourself, get into driver cabs, or whatever else. I am 31 year old... many who attended the event are a lot younger than that, and are going to tend to do something unless they know better. Children are understandably excited and enthused to get up close and have a proper look at these fantastic buses. They do not have the same level of emotional control as grown adults. Why not spend the time to demonstrate and explain the bus to them and allow them to learn something, instead of sitting on board with the doors closed? It might be a good time to explain so-called rally etiquette to them, and hopefully they take something away from it. The key here is that nobody should have their day spoilt by others, and at the same time, nobody should be made to feel unwelcome either.

All in all, I still think the site has potential, but I do think the event is massively lacking any injection of ideas. It is in dire need of a refresh, and has been for a number of years now. It needs new people to get involved and compliment the experience and hard work of those that are currently involved, and more so build a contingency to ensure the events continue for years to come. The stewards were clearly rushed off their feet today, and there are so few of them to begin with. There was no printed literature about the event, and I know we have spoken on here about having programmes before.

Thanks to everyone who turned up and brought their buses along for others to enjoy!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

01 May 2017, 11:19 pm #91
(30 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)EL1TE I managed to find Dan, Jimmi and someone who I don't recognise on the front of that open topper.

That would've been me! Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
01 May 2017, 11:19 pm #91

(30 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm)EL1TE I managed to find Dan, Jimmi and someone who I don't recognise on the front of that open topper.

That would've been me! Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

BusLoverMum

02 May 2017, 11:06 am #92
(30 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm)citaro5284 Did Big'un get many pics?

Sorry, I missed your question! Yes, he was snapping away. He has my "old" phone now (moto G4 plus, so not that old!) which has a decent camera as far as phones go and was enjoying using it. It's a while since he's been into taking pics, as the camera on his Sony E5 was somewhat lacking, so it was nice to see him getting stuck in.
BusLoverMum
02 May 2017, 11:06 am #92

(30 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm)citaro5284 Did Big'un get many pics?

Sorry, I missed your question! Yes, he was snapping away. He has my "old" phone now (moto G4 plus, so not that old!) which has a decent camera as far as phones go and was enjoying using it. It's a while since he's been into taking pics, as the camera on his Sony E5 was somewhat lacking, so it was nice to see him getting stuck in.

08 May 2017, 3:10 pm #93
(01 May 2017, 10:49 pm)Adrian I've very mixed feelings on this year's Bus and Coach Show.

Unfortunately there was simply not enough space to do what we wanted to do. The plan was to have 4708 in the middle of the B10,s. But we have other opportunity's to do things with the buses later in the year. The trick is not to disappear early as we always move things round for photos just before we go home.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
08 May 2017, 3:10 pm #93

(01 May 2017, 10:49 pm)Adrian I've very mixed feelings on this year's Bus and Coach Show.

Unfortunately there was simply not enough space to do what we wanted to do. The plan was to have 4708 in the middle of the B10,s. But we have other opportunity's to do things with the buses later in the year. The trick is not to disappear early as we always move things round for photos just before we go home.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

11 May 2017, 9:32 am #94
(08 May 2017, 3:10 pm)Craig Smith Unfortunately there was simply not enough space to do what we wanted to do. The plan was to have 4708 in the middle of the B10,s. But we have other opportunity's to do things with the buses later in the year. The trick is not to disappear early as we always move things round for photos just before we go home.

We did the same with the THV vehicles at rally close, space was a bit of an issue. But in addition, when we arrived we asked for spaces to be kept for our other buses which were still to arrive. Luckily we had a decent patch all together at the South side.
Edited 11 May 2017, 9:32 am by RBZ 5459.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
11 May 2017, 9:32 am #94

(08 May 2017, 3:10 pm)Craig Smith Unfortunately there was simply not enough space to do what we wanted to do. The plan was to have 4708 in the middle of the B10,s. But we have other opportunity's to do things with the buses later in the year. The trick is not to disappear early as we always move things round for photos just before we go home.

We did the same with the THV vehicles at rally close, space was a bit of an issue. But in addition, when we arrived we asked for spaces to be kept for our other buses which were still to arrive. Luckily we had a decent patch all together at the South side.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Pages (5): Previous 13 4 5

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average