Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport All Things Air Good and bad foreign airports

Good and bad foreign airports

Good and bad foreign airports

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

07 Jan 2017, 12:22 pm #1
Just returned from Barcelona and I disliked the airport. With it being one of western Europes busiest a shed with one food place and two shops plus no place to charge your phone is pretty poor, though appreciate terminal 2A, B or 1 may be better than T2C where I was. Some other bad places I have experienced are:
Zante-Nothing other than a sweaty, hot shed with a duty free shop and A cafe with faeces on the walls in the toilets
Heraklion-Just a bigger Zante
Barcelona T2C-For the reasons mentioned above
Sharm-el-Sheikh-Not much seating, very overcrowded and the food places are dodgy with the Chicken burger I ordered looking very like turkey... Though I appreciate this is T2 and T1 looks to be better

There are some places I as impressed by though, such as:
Antalya T2-Big airport that had te right amount of capacity. It is modern and has a lot of food places and a lot of shops. The only irritation was the day I was there, it rained which is abnormal for August and the smoking area was open top, so some areas flooded a bit.
Singapore Changi-Been voted best airport in the world by Skytrax. It has a butterfly garden, it has a river, it has showers and it has lots of facilities such as restaurants and shops.
Heathrow T5-Lots of food places with lots of shops plus two extra buildings. The only downside is the lack of fast food.

Where have you been that you liked or disliked?
Edited 07 Jan 2017, 12:22 pm by NK53 TKT.
NK53 TKT
07 Jan 2017, 12:22 pm #1

Just returned from Barcelona and I disliked the airport. With it being one of western Europes busiest a shed with one food place and two shops plus no place to charge your phone is pretty poor, though appreciate terminal 2A, B or 1 may be better than T2C where I was. Some other bad places I have experienced are:
Zante-Nothing other than a sweaty, hot shed with a duty free shop and A cafe with faeces on the walls in the toilets
Sharm-el-Sheikh-Not much seating, very overcrowded and the food places are dodgy with the Chicken burger I ordered looking very like turkey... Though I appreciate this is T2 and T1 looks to be better

Antalya T2-Big airport that had te right amount of capacity. It is modern and has a lot of food places and a lot of shops. The only irritation was the day I was there, it rained which is abnormal for August and the smoking area was open top, so some areas flooded a bit.
Singapore Changi-Been voted best airport in the world by Skytrax. It has a butterfly garden, it has a river, it has showers and it has lots of facilities such as restaurants and shops.
Heathrow T5-Lots of food places with lots of shops plus two extra buildings. The only downside is the lack of fast food.

Andreos1

07 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm #2
(07 Jan 2017, 12:22 pm)NK53 TKT Just returned from Barcelona and I disliked the airport. With it being one of western Europes busiest a shed with one food place and two shops plus no place to charge your phone is pretty poor, though appreciate terminal 2A, B or 1 may be better than T2C where I was. Some other bad places I have experienced are:

The only positive for T5 in my opinion, is the speed you can get out of the place when carrying hand luggage. I detest flying from there and think it is horrendous. A crowded hell-hole.

I must admit to having a soft spot for Schipol, but it is a few years since I flew from there.
Ditto O'Hare.
Palma is a favourite. A very spacious airport that isnt infested with corporate chains.

Dalaman has a range of fast food places, but you need a mortgage to buy anything. Horrendous prices.

Luton wasn't up to much when I flew from there. Wasn't impressed at all.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm #2

(07 Jan 2017, 12:22 pm)NK53 TKT Just returned from Barcelona and I disliked the airport. With it being one of western Europes busiest a shed with one food place and two shops plus no place to charge your phone is pretty poor, though appreciate terminal 2A, B or 1 may be better than T2C where I was. Some other bad places I have experienced are:

The only positive for T5 in my opinion, is the speed you can get out of the place when carrying hand luggage. I detest flying from there and think it is horrendous. A crowded hell-hole.

I must admit to having a soft spot for Schipol, but it is a few years since I flew from there.
Ditto O'Hare.
Palma is a favourite. A very spacious airport that isnt infested with corporate chains.

Dalaman has a range of fast food places, but you need a mortgage to buy anything. Horrendous prices.

08 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm #3
(07 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm)Andreos1 The only positive for T5 in my opinion, is the speed you can get out of the place when carrying hand luggage. I detest flying from there and think it is horrendous. A crowded hell-hole.

Ditto O'Hare.

I despise Schipol as I have missed connections there. Mexico City has too many announcements. Madrid Barajas T4 is pretty cool I have to say. If you want a strange experience - Brunei Airport is the weirdest experience I have ever had. Royal Brunei Airlines are incredible by the way.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

08 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm #3

(07 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm)Andreos1 The only positive for T5 in my opinion, is the speed you can get out of the place when carrying hand luggage. I detest flying from there and think it is horrendous. A crowded hell-hole.

Ditto O'Hare.

I despise Schipol as I have missed connections there. Mexico City has too many announcements. Madrid Barajas T4 is pretty cool I have to say. If you want a strange experience - Brunei Airport is the weirdest experience I have ever had. Royal Brunei Airlines are incredible by the way.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000

08 Jan 2017, 6:45 pm #4

Ditto O'Hare.

I went to Palma in August but wasn't too impressed. This will be down partly to the fact that I was on the Thomson flight that leaves at 02:45am so everywhere was shut
NK53 TKT
08 Jan 2017, 6:45 pm #4

Ditto O'Hare.

I went to Palma in August but wasn't too impressed. This will be down partly to the fact that I was on the Thomson flight that leaves at 02:45am so everywhere was shut

Michael

08 Jan 2017, 7:19 pm #5
(08 Jan 2017, 6:45 pm)NK53 TKT I went to Palma in August but wasn't too impressed. This will be down partly to the fact that I was on the Thomson flight that leaves at 02:45am so everywhere was shut

Are any shops open 24/7 in a airport around the world?

I can't really remember which airports I've been too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jan 2017, 7:19 pm #5

(08 Jan 2017, 6:45 pm)NK53 TKT I went to Palma in August but wasn't too impressed. This will be down partly to the fact that I was on the Thomson flight that leaves at 02:45am so everywhere was shut

Are any shops open 24/7 in a airport around the world?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm #6
(08 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm)8222 I despise Schipol as I have missed connections there. Mexico City has too many announcements. Madrid Barajas T4 is pretty cool I have to say. If you want a strange experience - Brunei Airport is the weirdest experience I have ever had. Royal Brunei Airlines are incredible by the way.

Never done any of them. What was strange about Brunei?

My strangest has to be Guernsey airport.  Not only was it a shack, but passengers were weighed before boarding the Trislander (no more than
an LDV van with wings)
Edited 08 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
08 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm #6

(08 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm)8222 I despise Schipol as I have missed connections there. Mexico City has too many announcements. Madrid Barajas T4 is pretty cool I have to say. If you want a strange experience - Brunei Airport is the weirdest experience I have ever had. Royal Brunei Airlines are incredible by the way.

Never done any of them. What was strange about Brunei?

My strangest has to be Guernsey airport.  Not only was it a shack, but passengers were weighed before boarding the Trislander (no more than
an LDV van with wings)

09 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm #7
(08 Jan 2017, 7:19 pm)Michael Are any shops open 24/7 in a airport around the world?

Duty free was open, as was A cafe

(08 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm)Andreos1 Never done any of them. What was strange about Brunei?

an LDV van with wings)

Do they turn down the clinically obece? Tongue Angel
Edited 09 Jan 2017, 7:33 pm by NK53 TKT.
NK53 TKT
09 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm #7

(08 Jan 2017, 7:19 pm)Michael Are any shops open 24/7 in a airport around the world?

Duty free was open, as was A cafe

(08 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm)Andreos1 Never done any of them. What was strange about Brunei?

an LDV van with wings)

Andreos1

09 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm #8
(09 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm)NK53 TKT Duty free was open, as was A cafe

The maximum take-off weight is 4.5t according to wiki.

So as long as the person can get through the doors and fit in the seats (there's no aisle), then it should be ok.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trislander&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&ei=_AV0WKPLNeXRgAb9xpUw&start=40&sa=N#mhpiv=6

Andreos1
09 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm #8

(09 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm)NK53 TKT Duty free was open, as was A cafe

The maximum take-off weight is 4.5t according to wiki.

So as long as the person can get through the doors and fit in the seats (there's no aisle), then it should be ok.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trislander&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&ei=_AV0WKPLNeXRgAb9xpUw&start=40&sa=N#mhpiv=6

12 Jan 2017, 7:57 pm #9
(09 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm)Andreos1 The maximum take-off weight is 4.5t according to wiki.

In 2019 I may be going on a Twin Otter to St Barts in the Caribbean
NK53 TKT
12 Jan 2017, 7:57 pm #9

(09 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm)Andreos1 The maximum take-off weight is 4.5t according to wiki.

In 2019 I may be going on a Twin Otter to St Barts in the Caribbean

14 Jan 2017, 4:02 pm #10

an LDV van with wings)

Brunei is a pretty weird country politics-wise. I remember being sat on a RB 777 (before their 787s arrived) reading the inflight magazine, which wished the Sultan a happy 66th birthday which I found weird. The airport itself has all the arrivals come at once and depart at once. There was a good 4-hour period where customers from our flight from Heathrow connecting to northern Borneo were the only people in the airport. It was desolate. State TV was everywhere and was thoroughly bizarre.

Aircraft flown on:

14 Jan 2017, 4:02 pm #10

an LDV van with wings)

Brunei is a pretty weird country politics-wise. I remember being sat on a RB 777 (before their 787s arrived) reading the inflight magazine, which wished the Sultan a happy 66th birthday which I found weird. The airport itself has all the arrivals come at once and depart at once. There was a good 4-hour period where customers from our flight from Heathrow connecting to northern Borneo were the only people in the airport. It was desolate. State TV was everywhere and was thoroughly bizarre.

Aircraft flown on:

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average