Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Durham Vintage Bus Gathering 2017

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering 2017

Durham Vintage Bus Gathering 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Poll: Attendance roll call: Are you going?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
57.14%
Votes 8
No
42.86%
Votes 6
Undecided
0%
Votes 0

Total 14 vote(s) 100%
17 Jun 2017, 9:24 pm #21
Confirmed Arriva aren't attending.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
17 Jun 2017, 9:24 pm #21

Confirmed Arriva aren't attending.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

BusLoverMum

18 Jun 2017, 1:01 pm #22
Gosh, it was hot, there!
BusLoverMum
18 Jun 2017, 1:01 pm #22

Gosh, it was hot, there!

Jimmi

18 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm #23
(18 Jun 2017, 1:01 pm)BusLoverMum Gosh, it was hot, there!
Not wrong!

Seemed like the rally this year was lacking some stuff, especially Arriva but there's nothing that can really be done about that but a few independents and some preserved stuff was notably absent as well, yet despite the extra space everything was still parked close together?!

I've decided to head home now as I was struggling to go over and talk to anyone else and I cleared any buses of interest to me by about lunchtime, so I didn't see much point in sticking around. TBH I haven't been enjoying the hobby as much recently, especially around here, far more enjoying outings in Yorkshire as it seems like there is more interesting stuff there than there is round here IMO, think I need to start up the further afield outings again.
Jimmi
18 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm #23

Not wrong!

Seemed like the rally this year was lacking some stuff, especially Arriva but there's nothing that can really be done about that but a few independents and some preserved stuff was notably absent as well, yet despite the extra space everything was still parked close together?!

I've decided to head home now as I was struggling to go over and talk to anyone else and I cleared any buses of interest to me by about lunchtime, so I didn't see much point in sticking around. TBH I haven't been enjoying the hobby as much recently, especially around here, far more enjoying outings in Yorkshire as it seems like there is more interesting stuff there than there is round here IMO, think I need to start up the further afield outings again.

BusLoverMum

18 Jun 2017, 3:16 pm #24
(18 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm)Jimmi Not wrong!

Yorkshire is pretty big, so it's unsurprising that there is more stuff of interest there. Just amongst the bigger players that we don't see in the NE there's transdev and first and then there's large independents like EYMS, which has an interesting fleet, even if the livery can be a bit samey.

One thing that really stood out when we visited York, yesterday, was the lack of streetlites, though it was also apparent that, apart from coastliner and the EYMS x46, most of the vehicles we saw were middle aged at best. Arriva's vehicles were somewhat on the tatty side. Even their solo SRs, which looked incredibly smart from a distance, were scuffed and scraped, closer up.

Anyhow, we got what we set out to achieve from today. Bigun took a load of pics, when we arrived, then we took a ride into town for some lunch. The journeys each way we're on vehicles we hadn't ridden on before. 

I did spy you, but at least we didn't nearly run you over, this year!
BusLoverMum
18 Jun 2017, 3:16 pm #24

(18 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm)Jimmi Not wrong!

Yorkshire is pretty big, so it's unsurprising that there is more stuff of interest there. Just amongst the bigger players that we don't see in the NE there's transdev and first and then there's large independents like EYMS, which has an interesting fleet, even if the livery can be a bit samey.

One thing that really stood out when we visited York, yesterday, was the lack of streetlites, though it was also apparent that, apart from coastliner and the EYMS x46, most of the vehicles we saw were middle aged at best. Arriva's vehicles were somewhat on the tatty side. Even their solo SRs, which looked incredibly smart from a distance, were scuffed and scraped, closer up.

Anyhow, we got what we set out to achieve from today. Bigun took a load of pics, when we arrived, then we took a ride into town for some lunch. The journeys each way we're on vehicles we hadn't ridden on before. 

I did spy you, but at least we didn't nearly run you over, this year!

Adrian

18 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm #25

Aye, but certainly not hot enough for the amount of old blokes walking around with no tops on! Its enough to put you off your dinner.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm #25

Aye, but certainly not hot enough for the amount of old blokes walking around with no tops on! Its enough to put you off your dinner.

Jimmi

18 Jun 2017, 3:33 pm #26
(18 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm)Adrian Aye, but certainly not hot enough for the amount of old blokes walking around with no tops on! Its enough to put you off your dinner.

Problem is, if you just wear a t-shirt in hot weather like this, you end up with that stupid tan down your arms that stops at whatever length the T-shirt you've been wearing ends, although I suppose it's not really a problem if you aren't going to be seen with no top on.
Jimmi
18 Jun 2017, 3:33 pm #26

(18 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm)Adrian Aye, but certainly not hot enough for the amount of old blokes walking around with no tops on! Its enough to put you off your dinner.

Problem is, if you just wear a t-shirt in hot weather like this, you end up with that stupid tan down your arms that stops at whatever length the T-shirt you've been wearing ends, although I suppose it's not really a problem if you aren't going to be seen with no top on.

Adrian

18 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm #27
(18 Jun 2017, 3:33 pm)Jimmi Problem is, if you just wear a t-shirt in hot weather like this, you end up with that stupid tan down your arms that stops at whatever length the T-shirt you've been wearing ends, although I suppose it's not really a problem if you aren't going to be seen with no top on.

You mean you'll look like a drumstick lolly?  Smile

Adrian
18 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm #27

(18 Jun 2017, 3:33 pm)Jimmi Problem is, if you just wear a t-shirt in hot weather like this, you end up with that stupid tan down your arms that stops at whatever length the T-shirt you've been wearing ends, although I suppose it's not really a problem if you aren't going to be seen with no top on.

You mean you'll look like a drumstick lolly?  Smile

Charles41

18 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm #28
I am felt the rally was a bit of a disappointment, plenty of space but not many buses. I left about half one and had a slow walk into the city centre.

On Tuesday I'm heading to Wallsend to try and track down the new demonstrator.

Charles
Charles41
18 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm #28

I am felt the rally was a bit of a disappointment, plenty of space but not many buses. I left about half one and had a slow walk into the city centre.

Charles

Jimmi

18 Jun 2017, 3:46 pm #29
(18 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm)Adrian You mean you'll look like a drumstick lolly?  Smile

Essentially, yeah!

(18 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm)Charles41 I am felt the rally was a bit of a disappointment, plenty of space but not many buses. I left about half one and had a slow walk into the city centre.

Charles

You might spot me on Tuesday then as I'm out looking for photos and haulage on it that day.
Jimmi
18 Jun 2017, 3:46 pm #29

(18 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm)Adrian You mean you'll look like a drumstick lolly?  Smile

Essentially, yeah!

(18 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm)Charles41 I am felt the rally was a bit of a disappointment, plenty of space but not many buses. I left about half one and had a slow walk into the city centre.

Charles

You might spot me on Tuesday then as I'm out looking for photos and haulage on it that day.

BusLoverMum

18 Jun 2017, 3:49 pm #30

The view didn't improve back home. An awful lot of lobster coloured flesh around. (We're a family of milk bottle white, so a stark contrast!)
BusLoverMum
18 Jun 2017, 3:49 pm #30

The view didn't improve back home. An awful lot of lobster coloured flesh around. (We're a family of milk bottle white, so a stark contrast!)

Multi21

18 Jun 2017, 6:03 pm #31
(17 Jun 2017, 9:24 pm)South Tyne Lad Confirmed Arriva aren't attending.

Same problem as Spillers if I'm completely honest. I think it's going to be a trend im afraid. Fingers crossed for Seaburn.
Multi21
18 Jun 2017, 6:03 pm #31

(17 Jun 2017, 9:24 pm)South Tyne Lad Confirmed Arriva aren't attending.

Same problem as Spillers if I'm completely honest. I think it's going to be a trend im afraid. Fingers crossed for Seaburn.

18 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm #32
Well I'm a bit sunburnt. Also I forgo my pony related t-shirt for a light blue t-shirt due to my pony shirt being in wash lol.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
18 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm #32

Well I'm a bit sunburnt. Also I forgo my pony related t-shirt for a light blue t-shirt due to my pony shirt being in wash lol.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Adrian

18 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm #33
(18 Jun 2017, 6:03 pm)Multi21 Same problem as Spillers if I'm completely honest. I think it's going to be a trend im afraid. Fingers crossed for Seaburn.

What is the issue like? Is it something that the NEBPT could sort out with Arriva, as it is a shame not to see them attend anything?

Adrian
18 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm #33

(18 Jun 2017, 6:03 pm)Multi21 Same problem as Spillers if I'm completely honest. I think it's going to be a trend im afraid. Fingers crossed for Seaburn.

What is the issue like? Is it something that the NEBPT could sort out with Arriva, as it is a shame not to see them attend anything?

Pulsar

18 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm #34
I was at the event today and had a good time. Was able to ride all of the buses I wanted as the shuttle runs were regular. Was particularly pleased to get the Blackpool Transport Olympian 377 (M377 SCK).
however was a shame to see no Arriva presence, hopefully whatever the issue is can be sorted for future events. Space could also have been used better particularly at the Go North East part.

My photos from this event can be viewed at this link.

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Pulsar
18 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm #34

I was at the event today and had a good time. Was able to ride all of the buses I wanted as the shuttle runs were regular. Was particularly pleased to get the Blackpool Transport Olympian 377 (M377 SCK).
however was a shame to see no Arriva presence, hopefully whatever the issue is can be sorted for future events. Space could also have been used better particularly at the Go North East part.

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.

Jimmi

18 Jun 2017, 9:34 pm #35
(18 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm)Pulsar I was at the event today and had a good time. Was able to ride all of the buses I wanted as the shuttle runs were regular. Was particularly pleased to get the Blackpool Transport Olympian 377 (M377 SCK).

I was pretty pleased to get that as well, probably the only preserved bus in attendance today that I've ridden in passenger service. Managed to record a video of my ride on it: https://youtu.be/NKGOtbTJ-pg

Photo of 377: https://flic.kr/p/VHx1GR
Photo of GNE 5466: https://flic.kr/p/VjN3p5
Jimmi
18 Jun 2017, 9:34 pm #35

(18 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm)Pulsar I was at the event today and had a good time. Was able to ride all of the buses I wanted as the shuttle runs were regular. Was particularly pleased to get the Blackpool Transport Olympian 377 (M377 SCK).

I was pretty pleased to get that as well, probably the only preserved bus in attendance today that I've ridden in passenger service. Managed to record a video of my ride on it: https://youtu.be/NKGOtbTJ-pg

Photo of 377: https://flic.kr/p/VHx1GR
Photo of GNE 5466: https://flic.kr/p/VjN3p5

19 Jun 2017, 8:29 am #36
(18 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm)Adrian What is the issue like? Is it something that the NEBPT could sort out with Arriva, as it is a shame not to see them attend anything?

When I e-mailed Doxford Park about us attending, the only reason I've been given is health and safety concerns.  They have apologised for the u-turn but apparently Nick Knox isn't keen on them attending any more.

In my opinion it's disgusting that they've done things like this since we've attended for the past 3-4 years without pay and putting a lot of hard effort into presenting their fleet on their behalf.  It was good PR for the company I think, but I think we all know the real reason is fuel costs because the company is trying to run itself on a shoestring at the moment.
palatine3833
19 Jun 2017, 8:29 am #36

(18 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm)Adrian What is the issue like? Is it something that the NEBPT could sort out with Arriva, as it is a shame not to see them attend anything?

When I e-mailed Doxford Park about us attending, the only reason I've been given is health and safety concerns.  They have apologised for the u-turn but apparently Nick Knox isn't keen on them attending any more.

In my opinion it's disgusting that they've done things like this since we've attended for the past 3-4 years without pay and putting a lot of hard effort into presenting their fleet on their behalf.  It was good PR for the company I think, but I think we all know the real reason is fuel costs because the company is trying to run itself on a shoestring at the moment.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average