Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Examinations

Examinations

Examinations

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8): Previous 16 7 8
23 May 2017, 7:15 am #141
(22 May 2017, 8:58 pm)Jackamcardle I'm glad your exam went well! I think we must've had different literature exams today, as i didn't see the Lord of the Flies question. What was it about?  Big Grin

Significance of the character of Ralph. He is the protagonist and Golding uses him to represent civilisation and argue his point against this, that and the other. Don't think the two questions on themes/characters could have been better yesterday.

No exams today thankfully, got a free period too.
R852 PRG
23 May 2017, 7:15 am #141

(22 May 2017, 8:58 pm)Jackamcardle I'm glad your exam went well! I think we must've had different literature exams today, as i didn't see the Lord of the Flies question. What was it about?  Big Grin

Significance of the character of Ralph. He is the protagonist and Golding uses him to represent civilisation and argue his point against this, that and the other. Don't think the two questions on themes/characters could have been better yesterday.

No exams today thankfully, got a free period too.

24 May 2017, 3:44 pm #142
Business Unit 1 wasn't too bad this morning, but made a few mistakes here and there. The Science this afternoon was pretty dreadful.

Maths tomorrow (yay...) followed by a 2h15m English Literature on Friday morning...
R852 PRG
24 May 2017, 3:44 pm #142

Business Unit 1 wasn't too bad this morning, but made a few mistakes here and there. The Science this afternoon was pretty dreadful.

Maths tomorrow (yay...) followed by a 2h15m English Literature on Friday morning...

Michael

24 May 2017, 3:59 pm #143
(24 May 2017, 3:44 pm)R852 PRG Business Unit 1 wasn't too bad this morning, but made a few mistakes here and there. The Science this afternoon was pretty dreadful.

Yayyyy maths... Said no one ever

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 May 2017, 3:59 pm #143

(24 May 2017, 3:44 pm)R852 PRG Business Unit 1 wasn't too bad this morning, but made a few mistakes here and there. The Science this afternoon was pretty dreadful.

Yayyyy maths... Said no one ever

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Tom

24 May 2017, 6:09 pm #144

Can't wait for that 2h15m exam Undecided . Hate not knowing what poem will come up too, ridiculous having to remember 15 or so poems!

Physics was okay, and so was business but wrote about the wrong thing for lateral integration annoyingly.
Edited 24 May 2017, 6:10 pm by Tom.
Tom
24 May 2017, 6:09 pm #144

Can't wait for that 2h15m exam Undecided . Hate not knowing what poem will come up too, ridiculous having to remember 15 or so poems!

Physics was okay, and so was business but wrote about the wrong thing for lateral integration annoyingly.

Tom

25 May 2017, 7:16 pm #145
Thought Maths was actually quite a decent paper thought the first 10 or so questions were easier than expected - after that were a bit mix and match.

Not looking forward to Poetry and an inspector calls tomorrow though...
Tom
25 May 2017, 7:16 pm #145

Thought Maths was actually quite a decent paper thought the first 10 or so questions were easier than expected - after that were a bit mix and match.

25 May 2017, 8:53 pm #146
(25 May 2017, 7:16 pm)Tom Thought Maths was actually quite a decent paper thought the first 10 or so questions were easier than expected - after that were a bit mix and match.

Our Maths was shocking today. I left about half the paper blank as I didn't have a clue, we've not been taught vectors and the lot. Everyone aired their complaints about it, it would seem not a single person in our year answered the last question...

There was also some really awkward simultaneous equation that, upon review, I suspect was actually a quadratic. 

Hopefully, things can be pulled around in the big Literature exam tomorrow.
R852 PRG
25 May 2017, 8:53 pm #146

(25 May 2017, 7:16 pm)Tom Thought Maths was actually quite a decent paper thought the first 10 or so questions were easier than expected - after that were a bit mix and match.

Our Maths was shocking today. I left about half the paper blank as I didn't have a clue, we've not been taught vectors and the lot. Everyone aired their complaints about it, it would seem not a single person in our year answered the last question...

There was also some really awkward simultaneous equation that, upon review, I suspect was actually a quadratic. 

Tom

25 May 2017, 9:10 pm #147
(25 May 2017, 8:53 pm)R852 PRG Our Maths was shocking today. I left about half the paper blank as I didn't have a clue, we've not been taught vectors and the lot. Everyone aired their complaints about it, it would seem not a single person in our year answered the last question...

Was it edexcel you were on?

For the simultaneous equations I gave up as I couldn't factorise it (for 8x^2+78x+144 or something).  Vectors one was quite confusing but eventually came with 2.5 which I don't think was right.
Tom
25 May 2017, 9:10 pm #147

(25 May 2017, 8:53 pm)R852 PRG Our Maths was shocking today. I left about half the paper blank as I didn't have a clue, we've not been taught vectors and the lot. Everyone aired their complaints about it, it would seem not a single person in our year answered the last question...

Was it edexcel you were on?

For the simultaneous equations I gave up as I couldn't factorise it (for 8x^2+78x+144 or something).  Vectors one was quite confusing but eventually came with 2.5 which I don't think was right.

26 May 2017, 5:37 pm #148
(25 May 2017, 9:10 pm)Tom Was it edexcel you were on?

Yeah, had my Edexcel English Literature paper 2 this morning. 

The unseen poetry was centred around cats. The two poems were a bit difficult to get a grip on, but I managed to get some language/form/structure points for both of them with a bit of an interpretation. The poetry anthology question asked you to compare Belfast Confetti with one other poem, I was a bit miffed by that one as Belfast Confetti was one of my least favourites out of the fifteen, and a bit of an awkward one to draw comparisons with. For the Jekyll & Hyde section, the extract question was quite possibly the most awkward one they could give us, then rather than a theme question that carries on from the extract (a letter from Dr Jekyll to Dr Lanyon begging for help), it asked us about how characters help others throughout the novel. It was more an understanding of the whole novel than any particular themes inside-out that was necessary for that section. Got through it, just. 

On the whole, though, not a terrible exam. Everyone seemed to complain about the Jekyll & Hyde section, including teachers, one of whom couldn't believe they had put such a question about help in the novel for the first year of this specification. GCSE English Literature thankfully now out the way.

9 days of no exams now. Big Grin
R852 PRG
26 May 2017, 5:37 pm #148

(25 May 2017, 9:10 pm)Tom Was it edexcel you were on?

Yeah, had my Edexcel English Literature paper 2 this morning. 

The unseen poetry was centred around cats. The two poems were a bit difficult to get a grip on, but I managed to get some language/form/structure points for both of them with a bit of an interpretation. The poetry anthology question asked you to compare Belfast Confetti with one other poem, I was a bit miffed by that one as Belfast Confetti was one of my least favourites out of the fifteen, and a bit of an awkward one to draw comparisons with. For the Jekyll & Hyde section, the extract question was quite possibly the most awkward one they could give us, then rather than a theme question that carries on from the extract (a letter from Dr Jekyll to Dr Lanyon begging for help), it asked us about how characters help others throughout the novel. It was more an understanding of the whole novel than any particular themes inside-out that was necessary for that section. Got through it, just. 

On the whole, though, not a terrible exam. Everyone seemed to complain about the Jekyll & Hyde section, including teachers, one of whom couldn't believe they had put such a question about help in the novel for the first year of this specification. GCSE English Literature thankfully now out the way.

Tom

26 May 2017, 5:57 pm #149
(26 May 2017, 5:37 pm)R852 PRG Yeah, had my Edexcel English Literature paper 2 this morning. 

I meant Edexcel for Maths not English Smile
I am on AQA for Literature Paper 2, so had completely different poems etc.
Tom
26 May 2017, 5:57 pm #149

(26 May 2017, 5:37 pm)R852 PRG Yeah, had my Edexcel English Literature paper 2 this morning. 

I meant Edexcel for Maths not English Smile
I am on AQA for Literature Paper 2, so had completely different poems etc.

Michael

28 May 2017, 10:29 am #150
Romeo and Juliet GCSE exam question cock-up may affect thousands of teenagers - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/educa...-1-8566497

Oh oh

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 May 2017, 10:29 am #150

Romeo and Juliet GCSE exam question cock-up may affect thousands of teenagers - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/educa...-1-8566497

Oh oh

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

06 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm #151
The English Language was alright this morning, as was Geography this afternoon (despite the fire alarm sounding half-way through and knocking my trail of thought a bit). I missed out the 8 marker for the Globalisation unit as I had no earthly idea for it, however, it seems to have been referring to renewable energy in Spain with its 400 windfarms. Don't think many people cottoned on either. 

Likewise, some questions on the Medicine paper for History yesterday morning were okay. The 16 marker (+3 for SPaG) was fine, but as per usual, I ended up chasing my own backside for most of the paper and ultimately didn't finish. Still got American West and Impact of War to go. Big Grin
R852 PRG
06 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm #151

The English Language was alright this morning, as was Geography this afternoon (despite the fire alarm sounding half-way through and knocking my trail of thought a bit). I missed out the 8 marker for the Globalisation unit as I had no earthly idea for it, however, it seems to have been referring to renewable energy in Spain with its 400 windfarms. Don't think many people cottoned on either. 

Likewise, some questions on the Medicine paper for History yesterday morning were okay. The 16 marker (+3 for SPaG) was fine, but as per usual, I ended up chasing my own backside for most of the paper and ultimately didn't finish. Still got American West and Impact of War to go. Big Grin

Tom

06 Jun 2017, 3:49 pm #152
(06 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm)R852 PRG The English Language was alright this morning, as was Geography this afternoon (despite the fire alarm sounding half-way through and knocking my trail of thought a bit). I missed out the 8 marker for the Globalisation unit as I had no earthly idea for it, however, it seems to have been referring to renewable energy in Spain with its 400 windfarms. Don't think many people cottoned on either. 

Was it not Three Gorges Dam for globalisation? Our teacher said it was after the exam.
Tom
06 Jun 2017, 3:49 pm #152

(06 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm)R852 PRG The English Language was alright this morning, as was Geography this afternoon (despite the fire alarm sounding half-way through and knocking my trail of thought a bit). I missed out the 8 marker for the Globalisation unit as I had no earthly idea for it, however, it seems to have been referring to renewable energy in Spain with its 400 windfarms. Don't think many people cottoned on either. 

Was it not Three Gorges Dam for globalisation? Our teacher said it was after the exam.

08 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm #153
Maths was pretty much equivalent to suicide fuel this morning. 

Science and Economics tomorrow.
R852 PRG
08 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm #153

Maths was pretty much equivalent to suicide fuel this morning. 

Tom

08 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm #154
(08 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm)R852 PRG Maths was pretty much equivalent to suicide fuel this morning. 

Yeah the last questions in the Maths were ridiculous! How the hell were you meant to work out the one with the circles and rectangles with only the radius?
Tom
08 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm #154

(08 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm)R852 PRG Maths was pretty much equivalent to suicide fuel this morning. 

Yeah the last questions in the Maths were ridiculous! How the hell were you meant to work out the one with the circles and rectangles with only the radius?

10 Jun 2017, 10:05 am #155
(08 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm)Tom Yeah the last questions in the Maths were ridiculous! How the hell were you meant to work out the one with the circles and rectangles with only the radius?

How was your Biology yesterday?

My Additional Science had some bizarre questions, especially Chemistry. Made a few mistakes on Biology and Physics, but not too bothered. 

The question focus of section C of my Economics paper was Lego, and Five Guys made an appearance in section B. Tongue
R852 PRG
10 Jun 2017, 10:05 am #155

(08 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm)Tom Yeah the last questions in the Maths were ridiculous! How the hell were you meant to work out the one with the circles and rectangles with only the radius?

How was your Biology yesterday?

My Additional Science had some bizarre questions, especially Chemistry. Made a few mistakes on Biology and Physics, but not too bothered. 

The question focus of section C of my Economics paper was Lego, and Five Guys made an appearance in section B. Tongue

Tom

10 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm #156
(10 Jun 2017, 10:05 am)R852 PRG How was your Biology yesterday?

I thought it was quite an easy paper actually, though I look at it thinking the grade boundaries will higher anyway - though it had 2 6 mark questions which was a surprise (one on speciation and one on experiments and quadrats) - Got chemistry on Wednesday and Physics on Friday (last one!)

I'm thinking of taking Economics next year as I'm sick of Business Studies - is it any good?
Tom
10 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm #156

(10 Jun 2017, 10:05 am)R852 PRG How was your Biology yesterday?

I thought it was quite an easy paper actually, though I look at it thinking the grade boundaries will higher anyway - though it had 2 6 mark questions which was a surprise (one on speciation and one on experiments and quadrats) - Got chemistry on Wednesday and Physics on Friday (last one!)

I'm thinking of taking Economics next year as I'm sick of Business Studies - is it any good?

10 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm #157
(10 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm)Tom I thought it was quite an easy paper actually, though I look at it thinking the grade boundaries will higher anyway - though it had 2 6 mark questions which was a surprise (one on speciation and one on experiments and quadrats) - Got chemistry on Wednesday and Physics on Friday (last one!)

Yeah, I had a 6 mark question on quadrats. Also had a 6 mark question on the structure and bonding in Diamond and Graphite. Big Grin I don't finish until Wednesday 21st as I have the final History exam on the Tuesday and then an ECDL exam the following day. 

I've enjoyed the Economics content at GCSE. Seems like it would be a useful A-Level to have.
R852 PRG
10 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm #157

(10 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm)Tom I thought it was quite an easy paper actually, though I look at it thinking the grade boundaries will higher anyway - though it had 2 6 mark questions which was a surprise (one on speciation and one on experiments and quadrats) - Got chemistry on Wednesday and Physics on Friday (last one!)

Yeah, I had a 6 mark question on quadrats. Also had a 6 mark question on the structure and bonding in Diamond and Graphite. Big Grin I don't finish until Wednesday 21st as I have the final History exam on the Tuesday and then an ECDL exam the following day. 

I've enjoyed the Economics content at GCSE. Seems like it would be a useful A-Level to have.

Tom

10 Jun 2017, 4:00 pm #158
(10 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm)R852 PRG Yeah, I had a 6 mark question on quadrats. Also had a 6 mark question on the structure and bonding in Diamond and Graphite. Big Grin I don't finish until Wednesday 21st as I have the final History exam on the Tuesday and then an ECDL exam the following day. 

Was happy that it came up to be honest! There seems to be a few history exams as a few people have had 3 or something so far.

And yeah Business Studies was really boring but the exams are pretty easy a more common sense (OCR)
Tom
10 Jun 2017, 4:00 pm #158

(10 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm)R852 PRG Yeah, I had a 6 mark question on quadrats. Also had a 6 mark question on the structure and bonding in Diamond and Graphite. Big Grin I don't finish until Wednesday 21st as I have the final History exam on the Tuesday and then an ECDL exam the following day. 

Was happy that it came up to be honest! There seems to be a few history exams as a few people have had 3 or something so far.

And yeah Business Studies was really boring but the exams are pretty easy a more common sense (OCR)

Pages (8): Previous 16 7 8

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average